Holidays are over let's have some fun. Gun or HDTV?

PDA

BigFatKen
January 3, 2007, 04:20 PM
If you had an extra $2000, would you buy a HDTV .......

JVC HD-P61R1U 61" 1920x1080p 3D-ILA Rear Projection TV
Thanks to the newly developed HD D-ILA devices, the native resolution of the HD-P61R1U is 1920 x 1080, the extreme HD resolution available today for home theater applications. This makes the system suitable not only for high-end home theater use but also for critical viewing venues such as museums and post-production screening rooms. Price: $1899.99
More info http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2743741&sku=J300-6100

http://artworkbyandy.com/jvc.jpg

or this gun
http://artworkbyandy.com/57.jpg

FS2000 223
BULLPUP
17.4 BARREL
29.1 OVERALL
BLACK OR GREEN POLYMER STOCK
AMBIDEXTROUS
CONTROLS
ADJUSTABLE GAS REGULATOR FOR
STANDARD OR LOW PRESSURE AMMO
$1,899.99
more infohttp://www.cdnninvestments.com/specials.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Holidays are over let's have some fun. Gun or HDTV?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iiibdsiil
January 3, 2007, 04:21 PM
The TV.

Fly320s
January 3, 2007, 04:25 PM
Get the gun. With the gun you'll at least get off your butt and out of the house. Besides, TV rots your brain.

BigFatKen
January 3, 2007, 04:26 PM
I got the HDTV. Yeah, it was $4000 a year ago and will be less next year. But that kind of gun would cost a $100/hour (guessing) to shoot.

hacksaw
January 3, 2007, 04:27 PM
Besides football, there is NEVER anything worth watching on TV!

Sharps-shooter
January 3, 2007, 04:28 PM
that is the ugliest gun in the world, but it's still more useful than the tv.

what does "bullpup" mean? is that like a dogcow of some sort? Moof!

Handgun Midas
January 3, 2007, 04:30 PM
The gun.

I don't believe the average shopper can appreciate HDTV,
or even knows enough to sort the good sets from the garbage.
IMO rear-projection is undesirable.

BigFatKen
January 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
what does "bullpup" mean? is that like a dogcow of some sort? Moof!

The firing pin is around your ear and they are very short because of that

SoCalShooter
January 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
Get the gun. With the gun you'll at least get off your butt and out of the house. Besides, TV rots your brain.

Get the gun.

Lonestar.45
January 3, 2007, 04:32 PM
Can I vote neither? I know this is a gun forum, but damn that is an ugly gun.

I'd buy two crates of Yugo SKS's (20 guns) before I'd get that TV or that gun.

kungfuhippie
January 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
that bull pup cause then I could go to the Stargate SG-1 convention in style:neener:

Really, I'd buy a different gun, but I'd get a gun sooner. I don't even own a TV. I have a tv tuner card on my computer (it's like TIVO but better) but $2000 could get me a garand, m1 carbine and maybe a 1911 all of which I still need to adopt.

ripcurlksm
January 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
Im no expert but a 'bullpup' is a configuration where the weapons action and magazine is located behind the trigger. (Thank you Counter-Strike! :neener: )

Here is another example that is more perty than the 'plastic mess' posted above (Thanks again Counter-Strike) :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg/300px-AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

Zoogster
January 3, 2007, 04:40 PM
TV will help the whole family enjoy rotting thier brain often while the gun will help you enjoy yourself on occasion.

Personaly though I think TV, computer games, and personal music players are one of the big problems in society, and that is as someone that enjoys them myself. If people had less to enjoy that was enjoyed in electronic isolation (or even when an entire family watches a movie together they are not really participating in anything together, merely spectating) they would be closer and more connected with eachother because they would have to actualy have adventures and experiences in real life more often to stave off the boredom. Yet these little trivial electronic contraptions fill this need instead :barf:

Wait wait no I did not say that..stay inside leave the outdoors to less people! I don't want to share the wilderness with any more crowds that make new rules restrictions and regulations! Glue the family to the TV so there is more space in the wilderness for me!

DogBonz
January 3, 2007, 04:49 PM
Simply because you can probably get a sweet deal due to the upcomming super bowl sales, and because even most die hard shooters will still spend more time infront of a tv then behind the trigger.

Ed Ames
January 3, 2007, 04:57 PM
Kill your TV!

OTOH, buying one really useless but expensive gun isn't the best course either. For that price you could buy a fairly nice collector gun (antique S&W revolver or similar) that will go up in value, or a really accurate gun, or a bunch of really functional guns... why buy the bullpup in an ineffective caliber?

BTW, and slightly off topic... I went out last weekend and did some ballistic tests of three cartridges. 7.5x55 swiss FMJ, 7.62x54R Russian SP, and .223 FMJ... The balistic media was a box of standard 3.5" IDE hard drives*. The best penetration and greatest destruction was from the swiss, which went through five drives and dented a sixth because the 5th drive sort of bent around the bullet. Second was the Russian, which also stopped in the 5th drive but did less damage there (though it left a pretty good 3/4-inch "wound channel" through drive 4). The .223 FMJ was stopped by the shell of the 3rd drive, and the damage along the way was far less impressive. Perhaps more significant are the amounts of secondary damage... the high powered rifles both caused flame and shock-related damage (there were visible puffs of "flame" coming from the box when shot, and circuit boards were fragmented and ICs knocked off far from the actuall bullet holes) and the .223 basically just punched a hole. All shooting was done at 25 yards.

Frankly, I was extremely disappointed with the .223 and consider it all but useless for computer security. The lack of penetration, combined with the lack of secondary damage, makes it a severe underperformer. I frankly cannot see why anyone would consider spending $2000 for a rifle chambered for this round.

*The drives, in case anyone is wondering, ranged from 1GB to 100GB and were removed from servers at various banks around the country. When in service they contained account numbers, social security numbers, account balances, and so on. After software wiping (where possible) the drives were physically destroyed to render normal data recovery infeasible in the name of Identity Theft Prevention.

Plink
January 3, 2007, 05:06 PM
TV-bleh. Chewing gum for the mind. There's so many more useful things a person can do with their time.

I'd most likely spend it on a gun, just not that particular one. It's not that I don't love bullpups. I have an obsession with them, actually. It's just that I don't care for that particular one. Maybe a nice 1911, or a sweet target rifle. Maybe even a match grade AR-15. I don't know what I'd do with the money offhand.

Jackal
January 3, 2007, 05:09 PM
A Hi-Def TV is only useful if you get broadcasting in HDTV. An HDTV, with standard broadcasting actually makes the picture look far more grainy and hideously unpleasant. Even with standard DVD's, the picture quality suffers.

Gewehr98
January 3, 2007, 05:34 PM
I'd get the HDTV.

1. The gun is butt-ugly.
2. The HDTV looks like it actually has less plastic in its construction.
3. Digital TV will be obsoleting analog TV in a year or two. Buy a converter box or that HDTV, your choice.
4. You can watch movies or view pictures of real guns on the HDTV, vs. that injection-molded whatever that FN upscaled from their P-90.
5. The more you watch Hi-Definition movies on the HDTV, like Tombstone, Quigley, Band of Brothers, Desperado, Saving Private Ryan, and so forth, the more you'll be inclined to buy real wood and metal guns too. ;)

(Just bought a big screen Hi-Def Hitachi plasma TV myself...)

Bazooka Joe71
January 3, 2007, 05:39 PM
Sorry, -1 for Gun and +1 for TV

I voted before I saw the gun :D .

I thought it was just any gun or a HDTV.

SamTuckerMTNMAN
January 3, 2007, 05:57 PM
and because even most die hard shooters will still spend more time infront of a tv then behind the trigger.

not if you don't own a TV. :eek:

Obviously I stay informed somehow, but I found that by doing away with my TV my life is far more productive. I am in better shape, I learn more, read more, think more, shoot more, run more, train more, write more, play more, fish more, hunt more, climb more, sail more, surf more, teach more, and so on...
people ask, "How do you get so much done Sam?" Really, nothing special, I just

SHOT MY T.V. :p

with #4 shot, then 2 slugs, a few sks rounds and a sling shot (the old kind that you hurl BIG rocks with) (yes did pick up pieces, or better, laid down canvas to catch small pieces before)

REALLY, if you want to get well rounded. If you really want to know how to dress wounds. If you are interested in a martial arts style, or have always wanted to read Alan Eckert, if you want to learn to feel tracks, predict the weather, smell animals, ID trees and plants, and use them, work with wood, build cabins, ride and train horses, handload. . . there is no middle ground. The T.V. will suck me in, I will watch it if I have it, then I will get lazy and make excuses, and I will not die the man I want to be.
ST

doubleg
January 3, 2007, 06:02 PM
Gun...

jlbraun
January 3, 2007, 06:25 PM
I'm waiting on the FN SCAR, the FS2000 just looks awkward to me.

Though I must admit, the game Splinter Cell did incite an interest in the F2000 series of rifles in me.

jlbraun
January 3, 2007, 07:19 PM
@SamTuckerMTNMAN

"I will not die the man I want to be."

That... is a beautiful quote. Yours?

davera
January 3, 2007, 07:25 PM
Probably gun and other - we usually allocate some funds to charity when a windfall happens. And when ever I think about a new big screen HDTV I have to remember - there's only one TV show I make a particular point to watch anymore "The Unit", channel laps look just fine on the existing TV and there aren't even that many movies I want to watch all that much.

So, a milsurp or two for me, some for the wife and some for a charity.

BigFatKen
January 3, 2007, 07:27 PM
I thought the next poll would be "What package of guns would get for $2000?" Next time.

I saw this gun and thought "what an uglt POS" Hense the poll.
Fell free to offer $2000 packages

Mine would start with a .45 ACP with handsome wood, rich blued steel and not as tight as the $2000 handmade guns, about $1000, then a good scope with great glass..........

soul_rapier
January 3, 2007, 07:40 PM
TV TV TV .:D

JohnBT
January 3, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'm watching a 20-year-old Mitsubishi 19-inch that cost $499. HDTV? HA!!!

Verizon Fios fiberoptic internet service is wonderful and only $6 a month more than AOL dialup. For $10 a month more I can get 15 Mbps downloads. As soon as they get Fios TV up and running in my neighborhood I'll think about a new TV.

Meanwhile, it's guns, guns, guns. I'd like to have a nice Guerini 12 ga. to go with my 28. Or maybe a B. Rizzini. Or a Beretta. I can't make a decision.

John

Surat
January 3, 2007, 09:02 PM
2 grand to spend on guns? The mind boggles. Just think of how many Mausers and Mosins I could "adopt" to make sure that they had a good home. . .

Got my HD set as a floor model on the cheap. . .too bad I can't get the gun hops to do that. . .

Daemon688
January 3, 2007, 09:12 PM
If you're single....gun.

jamz
January 3, 2007, 09:25 PM
A serbu .50 cal is around that price. That's what I'd get.

Green Lantern
January 3, 2007, 09:47 PM
that bull pup cause then I could go to the Stargate SG-1 convention in style

Actually, I'm pretty sure they use FN P-90's. ;)

I'd never consider the TV. I do enjoy TV, but don't feel like I'm "missing out" on anything at all with my old, NON-HDTV. Certianly not enough to lay down THAT kinda cash on one! The Panthers and Eagles, Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Smallville, Stargate Atlantis, and Man Vs. Wild are perfectly satisfying to me "as is."

I don't think the gun is THAT ugly. I'd not feel ashamed at the range with one...er, well, if I USED an actual range! :neener: But for TWO GRAND, I'd much rather get an assortment of cheaper guns. For starters, I'd buy a hard chrome P3AT to carry while I sent my blued one off to be refinished. For the rest of my $1700, I'll have to think on it! ;)

possum
January 3, 2007, 11:24 PM
well i would personally buy a gun and some recording equipment .

Bob R
January 3, 2007, 11:34 PM
Given the choice between the two, I would go for the TV. Although neither the gun nor the TV is anything to brag about..IMO.

Buy two or three Smith and Wesson's. Start with a Model 27 and a Outdoorsman 38-44, then maybe a Model 58 and you can use them, and watch their value go up.

The TV will sit and lose value and eventually need replaced, the gun is just fugly, IMO.

bob

Handgun Midas
January 4, 2007, 01:09 AM
A Hi-Def TV is only useful if you get broadcasting in HDTV.No.

I use my HDTV for everything except TV.
I don't have cable or rabbit ears even; but I'm using it to read THR right now.

And a good HDTV set will have a quality internal scaler to improve the image quality
of DVDs well past what an old SD CRT set could muster.
I've been using some plasma sets that really do an excellent job.

cracked butt
January 4, 2007, 01:14 AM
TV!
I never watched much tv until I got a plasma HDTV. Watching things in HD is sweet, I even watch crap that I have no interest in because its just neat to look at. :D

Frog48
January 4, 2007, 07:43 AM
Another vote for the TV.

About a month ago, I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma HDTV. Man, this thing is AMAZING. Football has been pure pleasure. :D

jrfoxx
January 4, 2007, 08:06 AM
Did you really expect people on a gun forum to vote tv?come on....:)

gulogulo1970
January 4, 2007, 10:37 AM
If it is me I buy the HDTV, I've got plenty of guns but not an HDTV.

Just think how good "Tales of the Gun" will look.

Cheeseybacon
January 4, 2007, 10:45 AM
Personally, I think you should get the gun. Obviously I don't think you should get that nasty bullpup thingamajig, but if what you're getting is considered "evil" by AWB standards, you'd better get it now while you still can before AWB version 2.0 arrives.

As far as I know HDTVs will still be legal even after the ban. :p Besides, projection TVs absolutely blow, they have a lousy viewing angle, they're heavy, the bulbs need replaced periodically, and they are subject to burn-in. LCD TVs on the other hand are getting bigger and cheaper all the time. Get the gun now and by the time you get around to the TV, you'll be able to get a bigger, better TV for the same money as the projection unit you're looking at right now.

Thin Black Line
January 4, 2007, 10:48 AM
Extra money for the Church collection plate. [insert halo smilie here]

TheDisturbed1
January 4, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have a feeling a Tv like that isnt gonna protect you against a home invasion :D

Shear_stress
January 4, 2007, 11:01 AM
Gun.

In ten years the TV will be worth $80 and the rifle will be banned.

BigFatKen
January 4, 2007, 12:48 PM
Gun.

In ten years the TV will be worth $80 and the rifle will be banned.

Queen Nancy starts today. The gun may be banned by Oct. 1, 2007

Thin Black Line
January 4, 2007, 01:15 PM
Does someone hear a train coming down the fast track of legislation?!

browningguy
January 4, 2007, 01:22 PM
I'm not a high roller like BigFatKen, so my limit was $1k for a tv. But instead I bought a SU16C and a Springfield XD9 at the last gun show of the year. Heck, I can always buy a TV, but there is only one last gunshow every year.

CornCod
January 4, 2007, 01:29 PM
Television is something the establishment uses to keep us stupid and obedient. I gave up broadcast television 10 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It liberates the mind. I keep a little TV/DVD combo to watch rented movies. Buy a rifle.

Cheeseybacon
January 4, 2007, 01:55 PM
I'm not a high roller like BigFatKen, so my limit was $1k for a tv. But instead I bought a SU16C and a Springfield XD9 at the last gun show of the year. Heck, I can always buy a TV, but there is only one last gunshow every year.

Yes, that's kind of what I'm getting at. HDTVs aren't going anywhere, in fact they're only going to get cheaper and more available with each passing day. The same can't be said of guns, they're only going to get more expensive and scarcer and eventually will be outright banned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Holidays are over let's have some fun. Gun or HDTV?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!