guns America

PDA

joneb
January 3, 2007, 11:32 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with this site ?

If you enjoyed reading about "guns America" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chestnut ridge
January 4, 2007, 02:08 AM
Trouble, as in site not found, very slow searches, misdirected results,
totally fubar? I found the former format much to my liking; as it was simple and ran fairly quickly. I have purchased several items on the old site.
I don't think it is worth the hassle to buy anything on this new travesty.

Leif Runenritzer
January 4, 2007, 03:03 AM
It's slow and you're supposed to register, which i don't want to do because my name sucks [yeah, i'll get around to it]. I got to do an advanced search without registration by clicking on New Today.

Buck Nekkid
January 4, 2007, 03:18 AM
I've bought a bunch of guns--and sold some too--on GunsAmerica, but this new format just sucks!

It's slow, hard to navigate, and is NO improvement over the old one at all. Here's a case where "new" is not better.

joneb
January 4, 2007, 03:24 AM
I guess if it aint broke, fix it till it is :mad:

madmike
January 4, 2007, 04:05 AM
Not a single positive comment in their fora, the fora are hard to navigate, and their only response is a form post of "You'll love it when we're done."

FIRST you run the site private and test, and THEN you go public. And there are so many bells and whistles and chimes and flutes and piccolos and gongs and...that it ain't EVER going to be either functional or user friendly. NOTHING about it is good.

I hope they didn't pay for that coding, because if so, they just got hosed.

mike101
January 4, 2007, 04:10 AM
Why did they mess with it? It used to be a whole lot simpler. The new format is terrible.

Durruti
January 4, 2007, 08:07 AM
Why, in order to register, do they need my street address and phone number?

madmike
January 4, 2007, 08:54 AM
Durruti: They also want birthdate and phone number. If I were selling, I could see needing my address and phone number. But birth date?

"Yes, I am over 18."

McCall911
January 4, 2007, 08:57 AM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I guess the new saying at GunsAmerica is: "And if it works, screw it up!"

:banghead:

usp9
January 4, 2007, 09:08 AM
if anyone had trouble finding them.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/default.aspx

New format will take some getting used to. Search mode is crap...can't find a thing :banghead: . The only good thing I have to say is that I've found some good deals at GA and haven't had any problems...yet.

Cliff47
January 4, 2007, 09:24 AM
As Mr Murphy observed "If you mess with something long enough, it will break". Congratulations GunsAmerica, you did a bang-up (pardon the pun) job. I'm not sure I care for the 'improvements', but as a systems programmer observed several years ago, 'don't trust any software release that ends in a dot-zero'.

taliv
January 4, 2007, 11:18 AM
http://gunsamerica.com/OldHomePage.aspx

Steelharp
January 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, the "big" pics are far too small now... navigation is ********... pity... the old homepage just takes you to the newer, reduced size ads. I did a "Colt 1911" search... got 3 results. What a piece...

madmike
January 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
stop the whining
http://gunsamerica.com/OldHomePage.aspx

"Pistols, cartridge, pre-1899, misc"

"NO RESULTS FOUND

Oh, yes, MUCH better.:rolleyes:

McCall911
January 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
And my query for CZ pistols: "No results. Modify your search... "

Gee, I guess CZ pistols are a rare thing too. :rolleyes: :banghead:

cloudcroft
January 4, 2007, 12:47 PM
McCall911,

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." -- Red Green.

-- John D.

Beatnik
January 4, 2007, 01:20 PM
Another software developer here wondering *** they were thinking....

I just sent them a message asking that since they guarantee we will love the changes, I would like to know the terms of that guarantee....

taliv
January 4, 2007, 01:32 PM
probably that you'll get your money back.

i just find it a bit ironic that the best resource for buying and selling guns online for the past several years (far better than gunbroker and auction arms), which is free to buyers, and operates on an honor system, can't get any slack at all from you people.

so much for being an armed polite society. you people should be ashamed. chill out. they'll get it working again.

Desk Jockey
January 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
just find it a bit ironic that the best resource for buying and selling guns online for the past several years (far better than gunbroker and auction arms), which is free to buyers, and operates on an honor system, can't get any slack at all from you people.

Everyone expects a few bugs with a new system. But they didn't provide any warning that a change was coming, and the new system just flat doesn't work. I can't get a single gun to show up on the site. Every category or search I've tried shows "No results. Please modify your search."

I'm sure they'll get it back up eventually, but there's going to be a lot of griping until they do. That's normal.

you people should be ashamed.:confused: :rolleyes:

Beatnik
January 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
you people should be ashamed.

Well, I for one am not ashamed. My comments are from a software developer's point of view.

There's more going on than just a format change. The old site was quite obviously home built. Someone went through a lot of trouble to set up and test all that code and ended up with a functional site. Since it was homebuilt it was by necessity simple and effective.

The new system is pieced together with stock development tools. This is not in itself a bad thing, in fact it's often a good thing because things are more standardized and require less maintenance. But the idea here is clearly not just to be more maintainable, but to be bigger, flashier, and more like gunbroker. And as previously posted, the user base liked gunsamerica precisely because it was not gunbroker.

It's the same difference as exists between craigslist and ebay. People don't go to ebay for deals, and they don't go to gunbroker either. They go to those "big corporate" style sites when they need something NOW. Gunsamerica was a browsing place where you'd run into unexpected deals. The effect here is that the user base is losing the unexpected deals, and there's no other site that's doing it that way.

Then there's the fact that none of it works. Free or not, that's just bad form. The only other sites I've ever witnessed doing this are government run sites like DMV's. A gun site that functions like a government site doesn't jive at all in my opinion.

As far as being a polite society, well, nobody's going to shoot me through my screen, and that's the internet for you. Things are actually much cleaner on this board than on others, but these people are going to say what they're thinking, if not what they actually mean. They're saying it in sound bite form instead of doing what I'm doing, which is making sure nobody will read my post. And I for one think they should pipe up and keep it short. Otherwise we'd all still be drinking New Coke.

LittleLebowski
January 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
It hasn't worked at all for over 24 hours. Not at all up to par for an enterprise or enterprise software.

JohnRov
January 4, 2007, 02:08 PM
I don't think we're being too hard on them. I'm a developer and the new site isn't buggy, it is practically non-functional. I'll use it when it's up and running, but I needed it today and wasn't able to get what I wanted.

Uncle Alvah
January 4, 2007, 02:26 PM
I clicked on "Ruger"....0 results found.
I clicked on "Rifles", same result.....:fire:

And that was with the new and the old format that they now link you to!

McCall911
January 4, 2007, 02:37 PM
You know how scarce those things are, Uncle. :rolleyes:

I agree: :fire:

carnaby
January 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
I've had good results there. Bought one rifle there, sold one pistol. It's not terribly intuitive to navigate, but it works. I like the honor system.

madmike
January 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
Carnaby: they have a "new" system as of yesterday, and it blows goats.

LeonCarr
January 4, 2007, 05:01 PM
The new gunsamerica.com blows dog. On top of that it just plain sucks :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

chestnut ridge
January 4, 2007, 05:06 PM
Member Beatnik, the term "unexpected deals" was exactly why I liked
the old site. I would like to have some sort of filter to remove the
dealers that post hundreds of variations of the same over-priced
modern firearms. The sellers I seek usually have less than 5 or 6
listed, and often true bargains are found. I have found the honor
system to be safe; providing you do your search for sellers address
and phone # and contact them. If anything seems irregular; there
will be another down the road come up.

carnaby
January 4, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, wow, it sure is slow. Looks better though.

One thing I didn't like about the old system was the lack of allowing wildcards in searches, like .30*06 and so forth. Gunbroker and AuctionArms both allow that.

mpmarty
January 4, 2007, 05:20 PM
Naw it's not slow, it's pupils are dialated and unresponsive.

madmike
January 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
MPMarty: choke!

you owe me a monitor and keyboard.:D

Aguila Blanca
January 5, 2007, 12:34 AM
For me, the new GA is totally useless.

I'm an occasional buyer, never a seller. They have no need to know anything about me, but I have a need to contact sellers who list firearms. It is no longer possible to find a phone number or an address for a seller unless you are registered.

Which means I don't buy any more firearms from GA listers, and GA has done their sellers a disservice by alienating a very large chunk of the buying public.

Unlike some previous posters, however, I do not wonder what they were thinking. It is obvious, I believe, that they were not (thinking).

joneb
January 5, 2007, 12:57 AM
Is anyone else having trouble with this site ?
Well for once I'm not the only one :)
This WAS my favorite browsing site I found my S&W 696 ND there :( sob

" ALL Good Things Must Come to a End "
:evil:

jsonnier
January 5, 2007, 01:33 AM
I hate it ....Ive had to reregister three times.......:fire:

dave_pro2a
January 5, 2007, 02:00 AM
New format sucks. Old format was fantastic.

Mandatory registration is 100% lame.

McCall911
January 5, 2007, 07:32 AM
Oh, but the comments here are only a small tip in the iceberg!

Think about how many irate sellers GunsAmerica is having to hear from right about now!

:o

JohnBT
January 5, 2007, 08:40 AM
Oh, so now they decide to buy 2 new "very high end servers"?????? John

Hello Friends- We know that some of you are experiencing extreme frustration with the site at this moment. PLEASE BEAR WITH US! We went live with the new website in the last day or so and we are working out the final few glitches, including the site's speed. We’ve isolated the reason why the site has been running so slow. We are currently adding new hardware, including two new very high end servers that will make everything super-quick. While these are being configured, however, we have disabled the search servers, and that is why your searches are not bringing you the desired results. These issues will all be resolved very soon. We promise that we will be up and running glitch-free and super-fast ASAP, and you will be thrilled with what the new GunsAmerica can do for you. GunsAmerica is OUR collective baby, and these are just minor labor pains. Remember- we care about you, and our mission has not changed. We want exactly what you want- to bring gun buyers and gun sellers together. Thanks for your comments and your patience- both are extremely valuable to us! The GA Customer Service Team

madmike
January 5, 2007, 08:45 AM
Someone appears out of their depth. When a shop tells me the solution to my problem, which didn't exist before they tried to "improve" things, is to spend more money "improve" things more, I understand that they're either clutching at straws or trying to scam me, and I stop the charges and seek another vendor. As to this:

We want exactly what you want- to bring gun buyers and gun sellers together.

I want the system that worked back. I'm not opposed to minor changes such as stuff aging off. That seems to be the consensus of 100% of posters on their fora and here.

Thanks for your comments and your patience- both are extremely valuable to us!

They'd be USEFUL rather than VALUABLE if they'd listen to them.:banghead:

LittleLebowski
January 5, 2007, 09:26 AM
They didn't test properly before going live. Plain and simple. And there's no excuse for this; speaking as someone who does IT for a living (Solaris mainly).

carnaby
January 5, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'm sure they'll get it fixed eventually. 'Twas a good site.

carnaby
January 5, 2007, 12:39 PM
In fact, it's working better already! :D

Beatnik
January 5, 2007, 04:38 PM
Recent development...
I was actually pulling up listings (without registering) -
then I got two separate .NET stack traces in my browser window.

So, what this tells me is that if they're paying so little attention that they're passing application errors to the users, then somebody who really wanted to could probably use the confusion to hack their server and pull personal info from everyone they forced to register yesterday....

....so for you non-IT guys who think we should lay off, this is not just about a crap website, you know. They don't know what they're doing.

madmike
January 5, 2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info, Beatnik.

There's a reason I NEVER use my real birthdate online, or anything personal enough to help ID theft. I usually use a fake address, too.

JohnBT
January 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
It's working a little better, but I'm not happy...

"Please login to view larger sized pictures"

In a pig's eye.

John

taliv
January 5, 2007, 07:57 PM
....so for you non-IT guys who think we should lay off, this is not just about a crap website, you know. They don't know what they're doing.

i've bought plenty of guns of gunsamerica and never given anything more than my email address. and i am an IT guy.

madmike
January 5, 2007, 10:15 PM
Taliv, this is the NEW gunsamerica. Different coding. Went up two days ago. Please read through the thread and check the site to see some of what people are complaining about.

dave_pro2a
January 5, 2007, 10:17 PM
I sent them an email, a very disatisfied email.

Mandatory registration = SUCKS!

REQUIRING personal information to register = SUCKS!

I can forgive the fact they have tons of errors right now, and the site isn't functioning... but the above two issues are deal-breakers to me.

The old site was excellent. It always worked, search feature was great, easy to use, etc. New site is utter crap.

Aguila Blanca
January 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
In fact, it's working better already!
Really?

As of 10:00 p.m. EST on Friday evening ... it isn't working at all. My browser progress window doesn't say "Transferring from -__" it says "Waiting for ___". That means there ain't nobody home on the other end.

Aguila Blanca
January 5, 2007, 11:08 PM
I sent them an email, a very disatisfied email.

Mandatory registration = SUCKS!

REQUIRING personal information to register = SUCKS!

I can forgive the fact they have tons of errors right now, and the site isn't functioning... but the above two issues are deal-breakers to me.

The old site was excellent. It always worked, search feature was great, easy to use, etc. New site is utter crap.
Ditto on all counts. If they had any smarts at all, they would write off whatever they've spent on this "upgrade," put the old site and system back on-line, and let people continue to do business.

But ... they won't. Because somebody undoubtedly believes that this crap somehow will be "better."

distra
January 5, 2007, 11:22 PM
Had to register 2x, search stalls every time and list of firearms does not appear to be up-to-date:banghead:

molonlabe28
January 5, 2007, 11:26 PM
I have bought a lot, probably 30 - 40, guns on GA over the last 5 or 6 years, and I am not having any of this nonsense.

I will happily pitch in some $ to GA to get the old, functional, software back on line.

This format is for the dogs.

All I succeed in pulling up is Operations Failed and the same New Today Featured Listings.

If I see that stupid Ruger 10-22, which comes up everytime I don't get an Operation Failed, I am going to give my 10-22 to Goodwill.

This is like Groundhog Day.

cloudcroft
January 6, 2007, 01:10 AM
Yes, something is seriously wrong with their site being that damn slow.

I think they will find out their site needs rewriting/redesign soon enough -- unless it's a bandwidth problem (or both) -- when people complain to them and/or hit-counts fall off drastically as they probably have already.

If they leave it as it is, I sure won't be doing business with them anymore.

But I suspect that they will get it fixed real soon...otherwise, there is no way I can see that they can stay in business.

-- John D.

McCall911
January 6, 2007, 09:06 AM
Hey, this wouldn't have anything to do with the Democratic majority in Congress, would it? Hmm, makes you wonder....

:scrutiny:

:D

Cliff47
January 6, 2007, 10:46 AM
I managed, after much frustration last night, to get a four-page list of some pistols. Paging to the next 50 offerings was littered with 'Operation Terminated' messages, and some hairpulling (I don't have that much to spare, gang) on my part, and a few choice explicatives thrown in for good measure. I have worked with computer applications (batch, online and now getting some Internet exposure) since 1969, and this latest release has got to have the highest 'CLUNK' factor of anything I have ever seen. If this is GunsAmerica 2.0, don't trust it until the last digit is (much) higher.

McCall911
January 6, 2007, 11:11 AM
If this is GunsAmerica 2.0, don't trust it until the last digit is (much) higher.

Ain't it the truth! At this point, I would think it might be halfway reliable with version 2.1001!

Bladeandbarrel
January 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
What a shame! Gunsamerica WAS the best gunbuying site on the 'net.

I guess I will be spending more time and money at Gunbroker and AuctionArms. The new format is staggeringly stupid.

They borrowed the categories eight out of the Blue Book. In the process they deleted many of their heavily trafficked categories!

I basically browsed 4 different categories in the old format. It was fast, reliable and had great pictures.

I will give you an example. I used to check the "custom handguns" section daily. Now, there is NO custom handguns sections, so a lister MUST put the word CUSTOM in their listing or else you can't find it..what if they use "tuned" or "modified" or "accurized". The listing will never be found unless you wade through everything and all the potential types and manufacturers.

Stupid I say. Stupid. And slow.

Vern Humphrey
January 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
I've bought several guns through Gunsamerica. And I can't tell you how many times I've been in a "where can I find" thread, shelled out, searched Gunsamerica, and cut-and-pasted their ads right here to help someone find what he wanted.

Hell, I've probably sold fifty guns for Gunsamerica that way.

But not anymore.

Furncliff
January 6, 2007, 06:36 PM
If y'all are P.O. imagine what the sellers are doing right about now!

This might describe it::banghead:

madmike
January 6, 2007, 07:51 PM
Are they still insisting we REALLY WILL like it, just wait and see?

Vern Humphrey
January 6, 2007, 08:00 PM
Are they still insisting we REALLY WILL like it, just wait and see?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone starts up an alternate site (like maybe THR?) and captures most of their customer base before that happens.

Mortech
January 6, 2007, 08:31 PM
Here I am trying to gettting into buying guns online and this happens , I loved browsing GA . I wonder if THR servers could handle the bandwidth that it needs to be able to host a site like GA ? Not to mention the cost (bandwidth ain't free !) But then again that might be a really bad idea , I spend wayyy too much time online here anyway .

Vern Humphrey
January 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
Here I am trying to gettting into buying guns online and this happens , I loved browsing GA . I wonder if THR servers could handle the bandwidth that it needs to be able to host a site like GA ? Not to mention the cost (bandwidth ain't free !)
Combining the most popular gun owner's forums with the most popular gun sales site has got to be a winner.

Remember how Bill Ruger (after Colt quit making the SAA during the great TV western era) came out with the Single Six, combining the most popular gun style with the most popular cartridge?

History can repeat itself here.

But then again that might be a really bad idea , I spend wayyy too much time online here anyway .

If it's not cutting into you shooting, reloading or hunting timem, why worry?:D

GeezerwithGuns
January 6, 2007, 09:40 PM
Wow, what an improvement ---- NOT :barf:

This is now, with out a doubt, the absolute worst site of its kind on the net. If I were the owner of Guns America, I would get my money back and revert to the old site immediately.

The search engine doesn't work. Even the band-aid they put in there to "look" like the old format. It is painfully slow and then craps out error after error. It didn't recognize my log in info or my email.

I feel sorry for the sellers, because they won't be moving their merchandise in this environment.

I have programmers who work for me. This kind of effort gets them fired!

Pure unadulterated POS!!!!!!:fire:

I guess I bought my last gun there in November.

I'm gone until they fix it.:cuss:

Cliff47
January 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
Asked a question of one of the vendors. had him answer to my e-mail address. The outgoing query worked. He got it and I got my answer later the next morning. At least SOMETHING works. Maybe they didn't futz with the message routines...I'm beginning to think they wrote the new release in FUBAR3 (a pessimizing compiler, gives you the worst-case code for anything submitted).

GeezerwithGuns
January 7, 2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe the programmers for the new site are really "closet anti's" -- What a way to wreak havoc on the firearms community. :what:

jetman
January 7, 2007, 12:02 PM
you can't get on their website AT ALL this AM !!!! (1/7)

craig
January 7, 2007, 12:04 PM
my local dealer is gonna be delighted to know that, according to their local search, he has nothing for sale.

the amazing thing is that when i typed saiga into the search for the 4th time, 5 of his guns were listed.

couldn't contact him though. everytime i tried, i got a navigation error.

oh well, i have his phone number. guess i'll call him and let him know that gunsamerica might've cost him a sale.

Cliff47
January 7, 2007, 06:23 PM
Jetman, that is the BEST news we have gotten since they migrated to the new software. But I digress (but not much).

armabill
January 7, 2007, 07:15 PM
I don't like the new GunsAmerica either. Format is too busy on the eyes.

They had a Benchrest category but no more.
If something works and everyone liked it, why mess with it?

armabill
January 7, 2007, 07:28 PM
Ok, I found the Benchrest section. But I still don't like the way it's layed out.

molonlabe28
January 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
It's dead as a doornail, once again.

Too bad, because it usually has a lot of good vendors, and I have gotten quite a fe nice guns from it in the past.

madmike
January 7, 2007, 11:59 PM
I still get hits of "0 items found."

It's not getting any better. And the new search categories suck dead bunnies.

McCall911
January 8, 2007, 12:09 AM
Oh, it's down once again when I checked just now.

Man, GA is getting so bad that I'm running out of jokes to make about it! And that's BAD!!!!

:cuss:

saltpeter51
January 8, 2007, 11:47 AM
As a mid-to-large volume seller on Gunsamerica, I've been VERY frustrated over the last few days. The site was running VERY slow and my listings were not coming up consistantly. I'm really concerned about taking a big hit in my sales- I have tuitions to pay for!

The site seems to be doing better today though- faster loading, and the search tool is bringing up better results. Hope it lasts...the New Today gave me 90 items a few minutes ago.

Hope they resolve everything and get their act back together soon...It'd be a damn shame to lose one of the really good, useful sites.

Peter Sorokanich
Scranton, PA

Vern Humphrey
January 8, 2007, 12:24 PM
As a mid-to-large volume seller on Gunsamerica, I've been VERY frustrated over the last few days. The site was running VERY slow and my listings were not coming up consistantly. I'm really concerned about taking a big hit in my sales- I have tuitions to pay for!

Have you contacted them about your concerns? If I were making a living selling through the internet, I'd tell them "Scrap the 'improvements' and go back to the old system, or I take my business elsewhere."

Cliff47
January 9, 2007, 09:01 AM
The site was better last night, no interminable waits on searches, and there were no timeouts (at least for what I was looking at). Don't know if they got something fixed, or balanced, but I'm going to leave it to be proven before going to trust it completely.

madmike
January 9, 2007, 09:31 AM
Vern, that's near as not 100% of the feedback they're getting. Their response are form postings that "We're sorry for the problems but it'll be great and you WILL love the new format when we're done."

I find the new format useless, neither format is working, and the fact that they're not listening speaks volumes. They Know Better Than We Do what we want. That's rapidly entering the stereotype of the used car salesman.

McCall911
January 9, 2007, 09:43 AM
They Know Better Than We Do what we want. That's rapidly entering the stereotype of the used car salesman.

Yes, or a politician!

:cuss:

The site is running (from what I could tell) but is still vastly inferior to the old version IMO. So I suppose I'll just stick with Gunbroker.

Steelharp
January 9, 2007, 10:06 AM
I don't like GB as well because you have to have a credit card on file there, and SWMBO will know what I'm up to!!

I preferred GA because I could just keep my business to myself... :fire:

Why can't they just put it back?

Vern Humphrey
January 9, 2007, 10:49 AM
Vern, that's near as not 100% of the feedback they're getting. Their response are form postings that "We're sorry for the problems but it'll be great and you WILL love the new format when we're done."

I don't get that because I haven't gone through the cumbersome registration process. But if I had and they told me that, my response would be, "No I won't, because I'm not coming back to this site again.":fire:

joneb
January 27, 2007, 04:42 AM
Well is it better yet ?
Not for me, I don't like the pics, there's thumbnails, and then there is a slightly bigger thumbnail :confused: I want to see good pics and more of them, that's what sparks my interest. :(
GunsAmerica, you took a big dump on my internet gun fun :mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "guns America" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!