Mosin Nagant sporter stock

PDA

garanddaddy
January 4, 2007, 12:20 AM
Just received and installed a Monte Carlo stock from J & G sales. Makes the rifle look new and will make a good brush gun for hunting.

Any one have any experience in bending a bolt or installing bent bolt kit for scope?

If I knew how to get photos on here I would

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant sporter stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jackal
January 4, 2007, 12:45 AM
Check out Ebay for a "sniper" bolt. I have one and it is super.

garanddaddy
January 4, 2007, 01:07 AM
They want almost as much for the sniper bolt that I payed for the rifle

Stiletto Null
January 4, 2007, 02:31 AM
Brush gun?

Don't bother, just go for a scout scope. Mount available here (http://p102.ezboard.com/Scout-Mount-Ordering-Information-and-Current-Availibility/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm85.showMessage?topicID=133.topic). Takes any Weaver rail rings.

Leupold has a really nice scope, the FX-II 2.5x28 Scout, available for $260 at Opticsplanet (http://www.opticsplanet.com).

NCStar makes workable LER scopes (available at Cranky Farmer (http://www.crankyfarmer.com/pistolscope.html)—excellent service, by the way), but they don't hold zero very well when bumped.

My M39 with scout-mounted NCStar 2.5x30:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/StilettoOne/Guns/M39/LowRings2.jpg

You'll probably want/need a cheekpiece (even with super-low rings, I could use another half-inch or so of cheekpad), but you would want/need that with a standard-eye-relief scope anyway. What particular Mosin do you have? M38s are best for scout rifle projects, simply because they're the lightest/handiest.

B yond
January 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
I bought a bent-bolt kit from Advanced Technology. What a PITA.

First you've got to cut off the existing bolt handle, then you've got to file it down until it (hopefully) fits into a little well on the underside of the new handle.
Then you've got to drill a hole in (hopefully) the right spot to mount the new handle.
Then (this is where it gets F'd up) you've got to try to tap the hole with the inferior tap they sent you, which will break off in the hole, forcing you to spend the rest of the afternoon beating it with a punch trying to get the rest of the tap out. :cuss:
Then you must re-drill the hole and tap it again with a larger tap, go to the hardware store and get a larger bolt, install the new handle, and try to cycle the bolt which will break the new handle right off because the darn thing is only held on by one friggin' bolt! :fire:
Then you've got to struggle to get the bolt (with no handle) out of the rifle so you can weld the new handle on because you realize it's just not going to ever be secure with one bolt. :banghead:

If you're a very patient person, go for it. Otherwise, just spend the extra $ and buy a bolt with a bent handle.

Jackal
January 5, 2007, 04:23 PM
I will say, after having the sniper bolt, sporter stock and scope mount installed for some time, I just went back to the original military configuration. I realized, that no matter how much money/time/gadgets/doodads/effort I put into a M44, it will never be a sporting rifle. It is what it is, a decently accurate pumpkin popper/pig sticker.

Clipper
January 5, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'll use a weld-on handle, ATI stock and shorten the barrel 6" (where what bore wear there is is located) on my 1942 Tula 91/30, provided it's accurate enough to make it worthwhile. But it has all matching numbers, and a really nice bore & chamber, wasn't ground or beat up at all, so it just might be a keeper...

bartsimpson123844
January 5, 2007, 06:31 PM
Guys, please PLEASE stop ruining these wonderful pieces of history by bubba-ing them up. Why in the hell would you CUT and/or weld a new bolt handle on? That ludacris! :what:
Let's try and keep them in their original condition or so that you can put them back to original condition. If you want a cheap deer rifle or whatnot, take a trip to wal-mart and you can get one there.
Just my two cents...

Clipper
January 5, 2007, 08:00 PM
Bart, you're a milsurp snob. It's my rifle, and I'll do with it as I see fit. I want a cheap foul-weather rifle. You guys are as bad as Anti's, just from a different, though just as boorish angle...

dbn
January 5, 2007, 08:24 PM
Guys, please PLEASE stop ruining these wonderful pieces of history by bubba-ing them up. Why in the hell would you CUT and/or weld a new bolt handle on? That ludacris!
Let's try and keep them in their original condition or so that you can put them back to original condition. If you want a cheap deer rifle or whatnot, take a trip to wal-mart and you can get one there.
Just my two cents...

+1

Hoppy590
January 5, 2007, 09:38 PM
Bart, you're a milsurp snob. It's my rifle, and I'll do with it as I see fit. I want a cheap foul-weather rifle. You guys are as bad as Anti's, just from a different, though just as boorish angle...

so if i bought a draft of the constitution i can use it for TP? thats ok cause i own it and il do what i want with it. Morally and socially speaking? (Obviously legally i should be able to. )

theres a line you walk between "Customizing" and "bubba-ing" the major factor is if the TRUE value of the item is lost. in this case the true value of the rifle is its historic and symbolic value, the rifle itself is crudely made, inexpensive and antiquated. The wood and metal hold no real value besides their scrap prices. Chopping up a matching #'s rifle is ruining its value. why not buy a used bolt off the internet and bend that? why ruin the original parts?

really on an old dime a million 91/30 i couldnt care too much. but thats the mentality

Clipper
January 5, 2007, 10:09 PM
...So if I have an accurate rifle, which is most likely gonna be one with matching numbers, I should keep it a club that's so uncomfortable that I wind up not using it. But if I get a parts bin rifle that won't hold better than 4" groups, I can chop away, right? You have your 'values', and I have mine, Bub, deal with it, 'cause I'm not gonna lose a split-second sleep over it. And if you wish to wipe with a copy of the constitution, it doesn't bother me. First, it ain't the original, so it's just another piece of paper somebody slapped some ink on in a certain pattern, same as wallpaper. Second, check the first right it grants you. If that's how you wish to express yourself, I served, and swore to defend to the death your right to do it. This 'historic preservation' kick makes me tired. Shoot, you ought to watch what I'm gonna have to do to my broomhandle Mauser... :neener:

ajax
January 5, 2007, 10:40 PM
Clipper I've done the same thing as you. I did it to a m-44. I've got pictures I just havn't figured out how to post them yet. Just call me BUBBA.

Cosmoline
January 5, 2007, 11:04 PM
Don't hack the straight bolt, just learn to use it properly. It's far faster than a bent when you get the hang of it.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/cycle.jpg

If you're determined to get a standard American scoped hunting rifle, get a used Savage or Ruger. You'll spend less in the end and get better results.

It's got a lot less to do with historic preservation than it does with saving yourself time, money and aggravation. Right tool for the right job. Hacking a Mosin into a second rate Savage is like removing a camel's humps because you really wanted a horse. Learn to appreciate the old war rifles on their terms and you'll have fine, incredibly tough shooters. But if you want a scoped hunting rifle, get that.

Shoot, you ought to watch what I'm gonna have to do to my broomhandle Mauser

Yeah, there's someone you should listen to ;-)

garanddaddy
January 5, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hey guys whoa. I didn't mean to start a small war I thought I just asked a simple question. Thanks for all the info think I'll leave the bolt the way it is, but will use the monte carlo stock because I like it. and the remark about being a brush gun well here in the Pacific NW thats what we have to hunt in.

If it doesn't work then I have about 40 other rifles to fall back on.

Clipper
January 6, 2007, 11:05 AM
Cosmo, you crack me up...Yeah, I didn't know how a bolt works, thanks for the tutorial :rolleyes: ...And my Mauser at this time is a basket case. The shop labeled it as 'as is, do not shoot'. The barrel is shot out, chamber shot, safety doesn't work and the firing pin is gone. I'm going to re-barrel (from .30 Mauser to 9mm) and bring it back to firing condition, and the machine work I'll have to perform will make what I do on the Mosin look like kid stuff.

MyRoad
January 6, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have two Mosin M44s, one with a scout scope and one with a Mojo rear peep sight.

As far as the bolts go, one of my M44's came with a bent bolt that was welded on. Who ever did it, did a decent job. I agree with the others though, the bolt is rather stiff and the orginal design gives more leverage making it faster and easier to use -- which can be important for follow up shots. I find that with my bent bolt rifle, I have to take it off of my shoulder to get the leverage to work the bolt. Not optimal.

For what its worth, I'm on the side that these guns are not museum pieces, they are as plentiful as weeds, and to take a gun that is fun, oh, about once and make it into a gun that I actually enjoy owning and shooting on a regular basis -- that's worth doing. If they were so "valuable", then Big5 wouldn't be selling them off at discount prices. Just let us have our fun, and take comfort in knowing that each one that passes through the hands of another Bubba, makes yours that much more valuable. Who knows, by thinning the herd we may actually be creating a value for you that would otherwise not exist.

One of my M44's is in a Monte Carlo stock, and is out having the bolt bead blasted and a nice dark grey DuraCoat finsh put on ("pig sticker" and all). Now that's a truck gun!

Essex County
January 6, 2007, 03:48 PM
I don't see a problem if your talking about a garden variety '43 Izzy or such. They made umpteen millions of them and it's Your gun and you can do whatever you want to with it. It doesn't make financial sense, but that's your concern. If I wanted a rough and ready sporter I'd take a 91-30 with a good bore, shorten and recrown the barrel to 21 or 22 inches, add a set of Williams open sights and maybe have a new bolt handel done by a competent smith. And I would feel no regrets.........Essex

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant sporter stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!