Wolf Ammo????

PDA

rmmoore
January 3, 2007, 11:59 PM
I think this may have been asked before, but..... Anyone out there have any DEFINITIVE opinions based on personal experience with Wolf ammunition in AR's and/or M1A's? What I'm looking for is both performance as well as wear and tear on extractors due to the steel cases. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf Ammo????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Limeyfellow
January 4, 2007, 01:18 AM
I fired them in a fal. Close enough. Their performance isn't as good as many brass cased ammo (the exception being Wolf gold ammo which is awesome stuff) though the wear isn't much more than brass ammo. They use a soft steel thats won't scratch. The only problem you may have is the laquer used around the case gumming up eventually with the el cheapo wolf.

kir_kenix
January 4, 2007, 01:49 AM
they are pretty dirty, and not as accurate, but they shoot just fine. ive never fired any out of an m1a, but ive fired many thousands thru m1 carbines, fals, and ar-15's (even a few hundred out of 1911's) and they work just fine. cleaning is a pain tho (specially in the m1 carbine and ar). i dont know why everyone seems to dis on wolf, instead of thinking of it as cheap, inacurate, dirty ammo i like to think of it as cheap practice. when i want to shoot groups, ill shoot ammo that produces better groups. when i want to rapid-fire 20 mags of ammo from moving/behind cover/etc. ill use wolf.

RCR29
January 4, 2007, 02:09 AM
The only problem you may have is the laquer used around the case gumming up eventually with the el cheapo wolf.

Newer wolf ammo uses a polymer coating on the cartridge case rather than the green lacquer. I have shot thousands of rounds of wolf through my guns, and other being dirty and not as accurate, have had no bad experiences with it.

swingset
January 4, 2007, 02:42 AM
Close to 20,000 rounds through 7 AR's, no problems, no broken or worn extractors, no issues at all really. Some guys can't get their AR's to run it, but that's an AR with issues, because all of mine shoot it.

BTW, over the spread of 20 cases of ammo, with an average savings of $100 per case, that's nearly $2k saved in ammo costs. That's enough to buy 200 new extractors, 10 very good barrels, or 2 complete new rifles.

Do the math.

GardDog223
January 4, 2007, 11:36 AM
My experience with Wolf is that it is filthy. I have shot it extensively in .45 and .223 with both needing to be field cleaned after several boxes. If you want to shoot it, prepare to clean alot.

Sleeping Dog
January 4, 2007, 12:05 PM
Yes, I agree with the cleaning part. I don't mind cleaning, so the wolf doesn't bother me. I never had any failures with wolf ammo.

Er, except for the time I put Wolf .223 in my SKS. That didn't function so good. (dumb! dumb!)

the naked prophet
January 4, 2007, 12:40 PM
The problem with Wolf isn't that the laquer (or the new polymer) gums up the chamber, it's that the steel is stronger than the brass and less elastic - it doesn't expand around the case mouth the way brass does. The brass expands and seals off the chamber from the hot combustion gases. The steel doesn't seal it off, so the combustion gas can go between the case and the chamber walls, allowing carbon residue to deposit there. The box 'o truth (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm)

MechAg94
January 4, 2007, 02:34 PM
The brass cased Wolf M193 doesn't seem to work in my Armalite. The first time, I thought my rifle was dirty, but I recently tried it again with a clean rifle and still had a number of failures to eject. Also, quite a number of other rounds hit the table within a foot or two of the gun (little ejection force). The Federal XM193 I have functions much much better.

I have never had any issues with the Wolf steel cased ammo. Not the most accurate, but very functional and reliable. It is dirty and smells funny though.

Car Knocker
January 4, 2007, 03:59 PM
DEFINITIVE opinions
Please define.

carterbeauford
January 4, 2007, 06:21 PM
No definitive answer to this question, it either runs in your gun or it doesn't. Steel cased Wolf is a mixed bag. As mentioned previously, brass cased Wolf is good stuff.

1/3 the people who usually respond to this kind of question only run Black Hills or reloads and wouldn't shoot it if it were free, 1/3 won't touch it because it's dirty and/or doesn't run in their gun, the last 1/3 love it and shoot it all day long.

Speer
January 4, 2007, 06:35 PM
Dirty stuff. I only put it through my SKS, which eats it right up.

BoySetsTheFire
January 4, 2007, 09:24 PM
One major problem with Wolf is that the primer caps blow back into the receiver. I've had them lodge in the trigger group, disabling the gun until I could disassemble it. So I figure fine for the range, but I keep Sellier & Bellot brass at the ready in my house.

And yes, Wolf is dirty and not as accurate. S&B and Winchester give me better groups.

MechAg94
January 4, 2007, 09:33 PM
I do agree that Wolf is plinking ammo only. Keep your ready mags filled with something better. Most of my good ammo is S&B also. I have a bunch of Radway ammo once the Wolf is gone. :)

I have not seen any issues at all with primers on Wolf ammo. Surprise to me since that is the first I heard of it. I had a few primers from some Federal XM193 fall out, but not recently.

The Wolf M193 brass ammo I have heard has a different powder than US NATO ammo. It is slower burning and I have heard may not cycle some rifles quite strong enough. This is what I see. The rounds shoot just fine so I am using them at the range. I just don't plan on using it anywhere else.

swingset
January 4, 2007, 11:31 PM
One major problem with Wolf is that the primer caps blow back into the receiver.

I'm on my 19th case of it, and haven't had a loose primer or even one back out yet. Can't be that major of a problem, or I'd have seen it by now.

Redneck with a 40
January 4, 2007, 11:39 PM
I have fired over 1000 rounds of wolf out of my SKS, the polymer coated stuff. I've had zero problems with the ammo and its been pretty accurate too, 4 inch groups at 100 yards. My SKS eats this stuff up! I just ordered another 1000 round case.

JTW Jr.
January 4, 2007, 11:46 PM
I have plenty of friends that shoot it and love it , but I spent way too much to make sure my AR is accurate to feed it the cheapest ammo I can find.

My dad runs it thru his AR with a varmint upper , I was able to get 1 - 1 1/2 groups at 100 with his but was getting .75 inch groups with American Eagle 55gr from the same rifle.

For plinking it should do fine , just dont expect to shoot extremely tight groups with it consistantly.

possum
January 5, 2007, 01:26 AM
the first ar that i owned had over 1000rds of wolf 55gr fmj. and about 300rds of barnul through it and i never had any issues. i didn't have any extracor breakage or problems. i have actually had more issues in my ak than i had in my ar, i have had about 10 ftf in my ak, i have about 2000rds in it though. more room for error i guess. but the rds in my ak the primers were dented but didn't fire. the wolf 154gr is the most accurate in my ak and sks just fyi.

ForeverArmed
January 5, 2007, 01:36 AM
I've never used Wolf in my ARs, but I've shot several thousand rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 in my Vepr II. Out of all those rounds, I believe there was ONE malfunction (a round failed to fire). I've even found it to be quite accurate.

The-Fly
January 5, 2007, 01:38 AM
Overall thoughts: I've blasted 5k rounds of wolf through my Bushmaster (which is my varmint gun), and another 1k or so through my RRA (which is my social work gun). I only have problems when I shoot wolf, then try to shoot brass ammo without cleaning in between. Shooting wolf DOES get the gun damn dirty, but proper cleaning will take care of it without issue. I've taken rifle classes and shot hundreds of rounds of wolf without problems.

Wear and tear: I've never seen any credible evidence personally, or online, that wolf causes any wear and tear above normal. My varmint gun STILL holds under an MOA easily with good match ammo after all the wolf i've shot through it (and I have the paper results to prove it).

Performance: Wolf isn't particularly accurate, or high velocity. But its fine for plinking, practice, or short range vermin removal (say under 100 yards).

RockyMtnTactical
January 5, 2007, 02:33 PM
Decent for plinking. Sucky accuracy and lousy for self defense.

fatelk
January 5, 2007, 02:51 PM
Speaking of primers, I was shooting some Wolf .223 in a Mini 14 when one didn't go off, just a muffled poof and a wisp of smoke around the bolt. I waited a little then carefully took the shell out and looked at it. The primer was in the primer pocket sideways! It had gone off but not ignited the powder. It was obviously seated sideways at the factory. I still have it somewhere. Quality control?
That said, I've never had any other problems with Wolf. I haven't shot nearly as much as some others here but would have to agree with the majority opinion as to it being dirty but useable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf Ammo????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!