Best tumbler media?

PDA

ArkansasFatboy
January 4, 2007, 12:54 AM
Guys what is your favorite tumbler media. I have used walnut and corncob and both seem to work well is there any pluses or minuses to these or any other medias

If you enjoyed reading about "Best tumbler media?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bula
January 4, 2007, 10:18 AM
Walnut works faster but I think corn cob get's them shinier. I use a 50/50 mix and it works great.

The Bushmaster
January 4, 2007, 10:44 AM
Olsen's Media...Finely ground corncob with chromium oxide. Does an excellent job and will not stick in flash holes. :D

Walkalong
January 4, 2007, 11:10 AM
Chromium Oxide? Where from?

tbeb
January 4, 2007, 11:26 AM
About 15 years ago, someone gave me a lifetime supply of ground corncob. I don't mix anything with it, and I'm satisfied with the results.

The Bushmaster
January 4, 2007, 11:40 AM
Walkalong...Remember...I'm picky.:neener:

Olson's Media
5040 Cornell Road
Agoura Hills, CA. 91301
818 706 1710

The last time I ordered some from him it cost me $3.00 + shipping for 2 lbs. Stuff's not the cheapest in town, but I like it better then plain ol' corncob. walnut. kitty litter or iguana litter.

Pumpkinheaver
January 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
I have always used walnut shells with midway/frankford arsenal brass polish.

oscar
January 4, 2007, 10:18 PM
Corncob and Turtlewax.

toecutter
January 5, 2007, 08:02 AM
Corncob, both fine ground media, and thicker bird bedding (only for larger cases). Usually with some frankford arsenal brass polish, or with a little bit of valve compound.

The Bushmaster
January 5, 2007, 09:59 AM
Valve compound? You mean Lapping compound?:what:

OLD DOMENION
January 5, 2007, 02:24 PM
PET'S MART
Walnut hulls..$15 for a 25 pound bag
Corn Cob.......$15 for a 15 pound bag
Both are untreated so, you can add your desired adatives.

SIRVEYR666
January 5, 2007, 04:58 PM
My brother suggested plain white rice. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it would work okay. Anyone tried it?

dcloco
January 5, 2007, 07:44 PM
Rice leaves a residue and a whitish color.

Like medium corn cob with your favorite additive...and fine for the super polish.

tomhorn
January 7, 2007, 08:38 PM
how long do you use it and what kind of cleaner do yall use >>

Lone_Gunman
January 7, 2007, 08:46 PM
Where in Petsmart do you find corn cobb and ground walnut hulls?

CrackerJim
January 7, 2007, 11:19 PM
Ground walnut is in the reptile shelves.

Jim

gns4me
January 8, 2007, 08:29 AM
Walnut shell with a squirt of turtle wax brand polishing/rubbing compound( thinned with alcohol) to clean then corncob with turtle wax to buff and shine. I was blessed to have two tumblers.

HiWayMan
January 8, 2007, 08:45 AM
Rice leaves a residue and a whitish color.

Not in my experience. Works just as good as other medias as far as I'm concerned, and at $7/20lbs it is the cheapest as well.

The Bushmaster
January 8, 2007, 09:34 AM
You people sure go to a lot of trouble to get shinny cases. A whole hell of a lot more then I do...:D

ocharry
January 8, 2007, 11:16 AM
i like ceramic and water,,, never wears out;)

ocharry:D

Idano
January 8, 2007, 11:28 AM
media

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how long do you use it and what kind of cleaner do yall use >>

tomhorn, I use a 50/50 mix of walnut and corn cob. Since I have been adding a cap full of Nu-finish and a replacing a used dryer sheet (cut into 12 pieces) with every batch of brass I don't see a need to replace the media yet and so far I have run about 10,000 rounds through it, some with case lube. I swear the dryer is cleaning the media removing the dust. I started using the Nu-finish and dryer sheet about a couple months ago when I came across it on a thread here on some old media I was about to change. Now after two months the media looks new and it is cleaning the cases within 1-1/2 hours to the point where they look new. The Nu-finish and dryer sheet has been the best advice I have received

USSR
January 8, 2007, 11:36 AM
Walnut shell media sprayed with non-ammonia Glass Plus window cleaner. One hour of tumbling and you have clean brass.

Don

Luggernut
January 8, 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm with Bushmaster... I'm not too concerned with shinny cases... just clean is what I want. If it comes out shinny I'm ok with it... just not my priority.

The Bushmaster
January 8, 2007, 05:54 PM
I like my brass shinny, but I won't go to that length to get it. If it won't shine up and it looks real shabby...Trash. Otherwise it gets the regular treatment and stored...:)

LoneCoon
January 8, 2007, 08:46 PM
Man, you all have tumblers, I just use my dryer.

Going 50/50 with walnut and corncob.

Jeeper
January 8, 2007, 09:11 PM
Rice is the best I have found so far if you shoot a lot. Through a couple dryer sheets in there and it will remove the dust.

Eagle103
January 8, 2007, 09:17 PM
Man, you all have tumblers, I just use my dryer.

You're either single or will be soon.:uhoh:

g56
January 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
Walnut cleans the cases in the least time, but isn't good at polishing.

Corn cob is great at polishing, particularly if you add some Flitz Media Additive, corn cob will also clean but is slower at cleaning than walnut.

CLEAN is all you need, shiny brass is nice but not necessary.

db_tanker
January 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
The petsmart in Conroe keeps the 25 lb bags of Walnut and other various abrasives over near the bird cages and such...

got me some and already putting it to work on some 308 surplus getting it ready to process....

just want it cleared of the buggers that can kill my dies...my FAL ain't picky. :P

D

Cloudpeak
January 9, 2007, 10:53 PM
My Lyman media finally wore out so I bought some "Lizard Litter" from PegSmart. $5.00 for 5 lbs. It works great. I quit using polish and just put in dryer sheets. I don't miss the high polish and the bowl stays much cleaner and the media seems to last longer.

Cloudpeak

If you enjoyed reading about "Best tumbler media?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!