Savage 7-mag or remington 710 7-mag?

PDA

pimpasschevy
January 4, 2007, 01:14 AM
Hey guys whats up? Well I got a gift card to Big-5 for christmas to go towards a rifle. I have kinda narrowed it down to the Remington 710 7mm or the Savage 7mm (unsure of exact model).. I wanted to get your opinions before I buy. Or if any other opinions towards something I can get at big-5 would be great! Thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 7-mag or remington 710 7-mag?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikeWSC
January 4, 2007, 01:33 AM
Rem. or Savage? I'm guessing your talking about the Savage w/synthetic
stock and Bushnell scope combo or the Remington combo.

I've seen a lot of the Savage combo's come through at my clubs site-ins.
They have all shot very well, its a button rifled barrel and the scope is okay.

If you have a little extra, buy just the Savage rifle and put a bit better scope
on it.

Haven't seen any of the Remingtons at the range but I own a few 700's and
they are great rifles, I'm sure the 710 should be also.

P.S. Read enough from other members, accept their advice on the 710.

Mike

rangerruck
January 4, 2007, 01:36 AM
savage, no doubt.

JD_LION
January 4, 2007, 01:43 AM
Don't think twice get the Savage, I own the 11GNS in .308 It has impressive accuracy for a under $400 Bolt Rifle. I believe Remington discontinued the 710after it's many recalls. It has a bad reputation in my neck of the woods and it's butt ugly, but I have never shot one.

Jackal
January 4, 2007, 02:04 AM
Haven't seen any of the Remingtons at the range but I own a few 700's and
they are great rifles, I'm sure the 710 should be also.

Sorry, but that statement is very incorrect. The 710 is the poorest excuse for a rifle I have ever handled or worked on. Run a search here on THR and I can assure you that nothing will be positive. It is the only rifle I have ever seen that didn't have a real recoil lug on the action. Remington should be ashamed.

Bigfoot
January 4, 2007, 02:21 AM
Although they sell for similar prices they're far apart in quality.

The Savage and it's almost identical twin the Stevens 200 are great values. Many of them will outshoot far more expensive rifles and even some customs.

I wouldn't own a 710. And I've got a hunch that not even one poster here will reccomend a 710 over the Savage/Stevens.

BTW since you're on a budget look at a Stevens too. Same gun as the Savage except it has the older style adjustable trigger and a different colored stock. Same accuracy and dependability for probably $100 less.

brentwal
January 4, 2007, 02:53 AM
Savage

pimpasschevy
January 4, 2007, 03:57 AM
Im not on a budget, I just happend to recieve a $350 gift card to big 5 so that is the only place I can spend it, and since I am gonna get into deer hunting this year I thought I would get a new rifle. I mostely pheasant hunt with remingtons, but I hear nothing but good things about savage. I guess I should have looked at the savage a little closer I cant remember if it had an extractable clip or not. I would think top loading would be a pain if you have a scope! Thanks for all the quick reply's!

rangerruck
January 4, 2007, 04:54 AM
they did fix the probs with the 710, but not after it got it's bad rep. so they have now stopped making it alltogether.

Essex County
January 4, 2007, 01:17 PM
Had someone sincerely ask if my Styer Pro Hunter ( grey stock ) was one of those new Remingtons. It's a good thing I'm a jovial and kind hearted old guy or I would have taken deep offense...Get the Savage.........Essex

ArmedBear
January 4, 2007, 01:22 PM
If you're on a budget, consider a more economical chambering, unless you know EXACTLY why you want a 7mm Rem Mag. Unless you have a specific application for the 7mm, you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a .270 or .30-06, except in your shoulder and your wallet.

That said, in whatever caliber you choose, I'd get the the Savage. Not the Stevens, not the 710.

The Savage has a GREAT trigger you will never want to upgrade or have 'smithed. That can't be said about too many rifles these days, especially rifles that are inexpensive. It's a "forever gun."

The 710 has nothing in common with the 700 but the R on it. I generally like Remingtons, but would not buy the 710, especially since, for what it is, it's way overpriced.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 7-mag or remington 710 7-mag?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!