Primers for 7.62 X 39

PDA

Mikee Loxxer
January 4, 2007, 11:58 AM
I am getting ready to load some 7.62 X 39 cases. My intention is to use CCI #34 primers. The problem I have run into is that a handful of the cases I intend to use are Remington and require a small rifle primer. How should I adjust the propellant charge to compensate for using two different primers (CCI #34 and Small Rifle Primer)? Keep in mind that the Lee load book calls for a Large Rifle Primer and that I assumed that a CCI #34 could be used interchangeably with a Large Rifle Primer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primers for 7.62 X 39" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pbhome71
January 4, 2007, 03:07 PM
I assume that you are loading for a rifle. Is it a bolt, or a semi?

I think the #34 is actually magnum rifle primer. You should start from 10% below the max load, or at the minimum and work your way up.

-Pat

Mikee Loxxer
January 4, 2007, 03:32 PM
It will be for my SKS and possibly some Kalashnikov variant (if I get one soon).

TN Shooter
January 4, 2007, 04:49 PM
If you are loading for an SKS, I would suggest you only use the cases with the large rifle primers so you can use the CCI #34 primer. I suggest this because the SKS uses a free-floating firing pin having a relatively heavy mass and you risk slam fires with regular primers. The CCI #34 gives you a larger margin of safety with regard to this.

If CCI makes a small rifle primer with the equivalent toughness to their #34 large rifle, that would (I.M.O.) be the way to go if you wanted to use those cases.

Good shooting,

TN Shooter

Gewehr98
January 5, 2007, 09:12 PM
Especially those with full-floating firing pins, like the AK, SKS, and so forth. The last thing you want is a slam fire. ;)

rbernie
January 5, 2007, 09:47 PM
I use CCI 400s in my Rem brass, and so far I've not had any slamfires in my Saigas, Romanians, or ARs. (My SKS had the firing pin spring update from Murray's..)

Load up a small batch and try 'em, making sure to only load two rounds in the mag at a time until you're sure that it's OK.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primers for 7.62 X 39" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!