Gun You Just Can't Live Without?

PDA

Dionysusigma
January 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
This is not meant as a discussion about the most useful gun in a survival situation, or for home defense, or whatever.

It's about the gun you love the most, that has the most memories for you, that you take with you every time you go to the range, etc. It's about the gun that makes the hobby so fulfilling for you; the one that for some reason, you like better than any others you own. Whether or not other guns would be better suited to the task at hand (from plinking to hunting to HD), you find yourself wondering "What if I used it for <insert unusual application here>?"

So, what gun can you just not live without? :)

For me, it's a Mosin-Nagant M44. I (stupidly) sold mine some time ago, and I now seriously miss it enough that I need to get another one ASAP. The recoil was great, as was the muzzle blast, but it was just... cool. I really miss it. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun You Just Can't Live Without?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Keith Wheeler
January 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
I sold my subgun, and it'll be a while before I can replace it. Arg.

Chipperman
January 4, 2007, 04:46 PM
Not counting my CCW gun, it would be my MP5.

Black Majik
January 4, 2007, 04:47 PM
If 1911s didn't exist.. well...

Maybe I'd be into photography or cars instead :D

thebigc
January 4, 2007, 04:48 PM
my 1911a1 is my constant companion at the range.

Richmond
January 4, 2007, 05:06 PM
I have a Colt 1911, customized to my specs back in the late 80s when I was competing. I used it when I trained with Colonel Cooper at Gunsite. From about 1989 to 1993, I shot a minimum of 500 rounds/week in practice in that gun, plus matches weekly. I have lots of handguns I like, but when I pick that one up it is a special feeling. If I was carrying and knew I would have to use my firearm, there is nothing else I would rather have in my hand - like an old and trusted friend.

Orr89rocz
January 4, 2007, 05:18 PM
my most special is a toss up between my old winchester 1300 pump gun and my remington 700ADL 6mm remingtion.

the winchester it had the speed pump system that half ejected the shell upon the shots.... fastest gun i ever owned. i could shoot it as fast as a semi auto. it shot slugs fairly well. even with ported choke tube, the recoil on the slug loads was so severe, that the speed pump action was completely pushed back and ejected the shell. much like a semi auto does upon the shot. all i had to do was close the action for shot number 2. kinda wish i never sold it. i do want another one, but my new 870 supermag turkey gun with additional slug barrel is a nice combo that i'm starting to love

the remington 6mm was given to me by my uncle for my 12th birthday. started hunting deer with it and ground hogs with the 12x leupold scope. that gun shot well and i killed quite a few deer and hogs with it... some hogs out near 250 yards. came close many times at 350-400. not bad for a factory gun with a small sport barrell and non bedded stock. still have it but havent used it for some time for deer, as my younger brother uses it

CWL
January 4, 2007, 05:24 PM
Sold my MP5 way back when I thought I could buy another anytime...in California. Am dealing with that shame.

Won't let go of my P7/PSP; P7M8 & P7M13, ever. Don't really shoot anything other than .45ACP & .22lr, but somethin' about the P7s that makes me not want to ever let go of them.

Texas Colt
January 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
My Colt Commander. It goes everywhere with me, including the range. It just feels right.

ArfinGreebly
January 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
At the moment, my favorite shooter and companion for every range trip is the Marlin Camp 9 Carbine.

It's not gorgeous, I can't CCW the thing, it's not terribly powerful.

But FUN!? Wahooo!

And it has the rare factory option: Ballistic Intuition.

Sometimes I aim it. Mostly, it just knows what I want to hit.

You can't BUY that in a gun.

For everything else, there's MasterCard.

Hemicuda
January 4, 2007, 05:43 PM
that'd have to be my first cartridge fired gun... a Springfield single-shot bolt-cocker .22... if I had a penny for every round I fired through her, or a nickel for every piece of game I have shot with her, I'd be a rather wealthy man!

ripcurlksm
January 4, 2007, 05:45 PM
Kimber Eclipse Target II .45 ACP
http://psylicyde.com/eclipse-front.jpg

Declaration Day
January 4, 2007, 05:48 PM
My Springfield 1911 of course!

azredhawk44
January 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
My first rifle... A 1970's era Winchester 94 in 30-30. The bluing is wearing off on it but it still shoots 2" groups for me from the shoulder.

I've loaded from 100gr to 180gr bullets, pistol powder to H4895, and she is a true swiss army knife.

Got it used 4 years ago or so, for $100. I've bought a new Win94 since then, but dang it, I like the old one better!:p

Matt King
January 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
Smith and Wesson 586.
Without doubt, one of the best .357's ever made.

Colonel Plink
January 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
Smith 28

mattjmcd
January 4, 2007, 07:09 PM
I think it'd be a tie between my 228 or my AR. I live in CA, so a real honest-to-goodness AR is kinda special. Like others here who've mentioned selling MP-5's and such, I once sold a nice FAL, thinking that I'd be able to get another. Live and learn...:banghead:

ralphie98
January 4, 2007, 07:16 PM
I gotta pick just one??? It would be my Glock 34. My first gun, and the one that I am the best at shooting. Doesn't even matter if I haven't been to the range for months, I can just pick it up and get great groups out of it from shot 1. I'm never gettin rid of that one

Ohio Rifleman
January 4, 2007, 07:38 PM
That would be my Ruger 10/22. It's just so much fun to shoot, especially since I got one with a scope. I can shoot a whole brick without breaking the bank. (I've never actually done that in one range trip, though, but I could!) I know this is kind of silly, but when I'm shooting my 10/22, I like to pretend like I'm Carlos Hathcock or something about to put a shot on some NVA general or something. :neener:

sm
January 4, 2007, 07:48 PM
May I break these down into categories for the sake of new folks, including young ladies, young men I know read THR?

BB Gun : Red Ryder

Rim-fire:
Rifle : Single Shot .22 bolt action with iron sights.
Handguns: .22 , prefer revolver, semi-auto is fine.

Center-fire:
Medium frame, dedicated .38spl ( Model 10 for instance)
1911 - prefer bone stock Gov't model.

Shotgun:
Single shot 28 gauge.
20 gauge gas gun (Rem 1100, Win 1400, Beretta 303, 390/391)
Pump : 870 Wingmaster in 28 ga/ 20 ga.

Correct basic fundamentals, and the above choices, I and others could not live without to pass forward as passed to us. :)

High Planes Drifter
January 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
Emotionally, it would be my Ithica 37 12ga. my Grandfather handed down to my father, who handed it down to me. I will in turn hand it down to my son in about 15 years. It is the only thing I have of my Grandfathers, and qualifies as an heirloom to my family. The gun is in good shape and I havent hunted with it because of sentimentel value. Once in a great while I'll take it to the range.

The one gun I love the most that I paid for , and wouldnt part with....hmmm....tough one...... I dont think I'll pick. I think I'll save that one for mysef to debate.

Stevie-Ray
January 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
My Colt Mark IV pin gun. My Colt Delta Elite. My Kimber Ultra CDP. Hmmmm......showing a pattern here.:neener:

offthepaper
January 4, 2007, 08:17 PM
Only the one's I already own.

bear71
January 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
Colt AR-15 SP-1 that was given to me by my father many years ago, he's since passed but the gun and the memories of him teaching me to shoot it in the very early 80's at age 11 live on. He didn't actually grant me posession until I was 25.

This one will go to whichever of two sons expresses the most interest in firearms, and he'll wait 'til 25 too! Consolation prize to the non recepient of the AR will be my 1911 and P220.

ReadyontheRight
January 4, 2007, 08:35 PM
M1 Garand.

Fu-man Shoe
January 4, 2007, 08:47 PM
I like my Marlin 25n a whole lot.

It's a pretty non-fancy mag fed bolt action .22 rimfire.

It's extremely versatile though, and quite accurate.
I can single feed it just about anything, and I can load
the magazine with three .22 shorts and a full seven
"super colibris", and of course just as many regular .22
LR rounds. It's nice and light, it accurate and versatile.

Hard to get around without a rifle like that.

sfhogman
January 4, 2007, 09:01 PM
My 5.5" SS Single Six.

jad0110
January 4, 2007, 09:17 PM
My 1959 S&W K-22 Masterpiece, pinned & recessed. It has been a really fun, inexpensive gun to go plinking with. Plus it is helping improve my shooting abilities on my other guns by leaps and bounds. Before I got my K-22, I was lucky to hit paper at 25 yards. Now, barely a month after getting the K-22 and only out to range twice with it, I'm hitting bowling pin targets DA no rest about 25-35% of the time from 50 yards.

Couldn't do without her!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20K22%20Model%2017%2022%20LR/K22_12-1.jpg

byf43
January 4, 2007, 09:24 PM
Two that will never leave my posession:

1. Colt Gold Cup National Match

2. Smith & Wesson Model 41 w/ 5-1/2" bbl.

When I go to the range, these two always jump into my range bag.

These two will NEVER be sold. End of story.

January 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
Gotta agree with FU-Man Shu. Marlin model 25, I've had mine for 15 years and bought it used and paid too much for it but it's been a joy. Looks like hell and shoots like heaven, I will teach my grandkids to shoot with this rifle if it pleases God.

RH822
January 4, 2007, 10:25 PM
A dented, dinged, beat up, raggedy old Mini-14. It was the first gun I ever bought. I got it at Wal-Mart in Coppras Cove Texas in 1983. I've used it on everything from a field mouse to wild dogs. I told my son once that I wanted to be buried with it. He told me, Gee dad that really sucks, that means I'm gonna have to dig your a$$ up after the funeral.

It's good to be loved by your kids.

RH

DaltonSpringfield
January 4, 2007, 10:49 PM
Here are the 3 I would never do without.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50529&d=1167968662
Top: Dan Wesson .357mag with 6"bbl and target grips, part of a pistol pak.
Middle: S&W Model 13-3 in .357mag.
Bottom: Keltec P11 9mm, This one and is my daily carry.

shaggycat
January 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
Kimber Custom II

alucard0822
January 4, 2007, 11:10 PM
springfield m-1 garand ultra match 30-06
kimber 1911 custom target .45
i have had many great conversations with veterans at the range and have heard several great stories about their time overseas defending freedom when they see these two. There is nothing like owning a piece of history, but they also have all the modern improvements, IMO the best of both worlds. I will never part with thesehttp://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50534&d=1167970460

MAURICE
January 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
All of mine are 100 percent replaceable, except for one.

My grandfather died when my mother was sixteen from complications stemming from his time served in the Korean War. He did not leave behind much, other than a mortgage that my grandmother struggled with, a few children, his pipe and smoking accessories (that my mother has to this day) and an old Winchester single shot .410 gauge shotgun. A model 20, IIRC.

So it sat on an ancient gun rack in my grandmothers house. She remarried and had another child. And with the other child (my uncle) and a new husband came more firearms. A model 70 in .308. An old Ithica pump gun. A marlin .22. All the typical long arms you will find in a North Carolina home.

About the time my grandmother was dying from lung cancer my uncle began his addiction to both prescription pills and crystal methamphetamine. He began to steal from her, both cash and the guns that were sitting around the house. She knew that most were gone and would never come back. My brother was out in the area for vacation and she gave him the .410 with the promise that it would be kept safe and in the hands of someone who would care for it, cherish it, and pass it on to his children. She told him to give it to me. She knew she didnt have long and she would probably never see me again and she wanted me to have it.

I have that gun today, and always will, at least until my son gets it. While I dont keep it at my house (dont trust some of the folks living around me-moving this month), I take it out and just hold it sometimes. Rub it down with a light coat of oil sometimes. It reminds me a lot of her, and makes me wonder what my grandpa was like.

My grandmother passed away two years ago this past november, and it is nice to have something to remind me of her and the time spent at her place.
Sorry for any typos. Getting a little misty eyed here.

Maurice

possum
January 5, 2007, 01:12 AM
xd service model .40! i love it and we have been through alot together. it's awesome!

oneslowgun
January 5, 2007, 02:31 AM
On the day I turned 21, I bought 2 pistols. To my regret, ( For more than one reason) I sold one of them about 2 years ago. The one I still have is a Ruger SBH 7 1/2 inch "Liberty" model. That old hogleg and I have walked well over a 1,000 miles together, and taken most all game that you could in that part of the country.

I have cleared the barn of rats, cleared the yard of varmits, put down cats, dogs, cows and a horse with it, and even a Farret that went "Bad". I've plinked with it, I've put plenty of meat on the table with it, and its saved my skin at least 3 times while out hunting.

I don't have to think about it, that old Ruger is my "One Gun".

denfoote
January 5, 2007, 03:17 AM
Why my black rifle of course!!!
Eugene Stoner's OTHER black rifle: AR7!!!
That and a brick of .22s and I'm set for the day!! :D

BLACK-N-TAN
January 5, 2007, 03:22 AM
Kimber desert warrior, I even sleep with it :uhoh:

rojoko
January 5, 2007, 03:23 AM
M21 and any well tuned 1911 type pistol in .45 acp.

With the 21 I can reach out and touch to 1000 yards.. and yes, I've shot one hell of a lot of PALMA matches with one or actually several. Never shot less then 80% of score, that's any rifle iron sights at 1000 yards.

30-06 is more popular, but I've never found any problems using .308 and .45.

Waywatcher
January 5, 2007, 06:00 AM
My favorite gun is my Tikka T3 in 30-06 with a Leupold 2-7x33mm scope. I shot my first deer with it, and I haven't failed with it yet. I've taken all 5 deer with it in my short career of 4 years of hunting. It's beautiful--walnut and blued steel, accurate--sub moa, and its the gun I've owned the longest.

Dionysusigma
January 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
Thought of another one... my old Marlin 60. Got sold to help cover rent during a dry spell, and have missed owning a .22 rifle ever since. Didn't help that my cousin-in-law has an old Glenfield 60 that we shot over Thanksgiving. Even remembered how it came apart and teaching him how to clean it... :)

RockyMtnTactical
January 5, 2007, 05:06 PM
Either my Glock 27 or my M4.

DMK
January 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
Man, that's tough. I can't really narrow it down to one. I love my CZ75 and would feel like I close a close friend if I had to give it up. It's my favorite range gun, especially since I can swap between 9mm and 22LR with the Kadet slide. It's the gun I shoot the most, by far.

I'd also have a very, very difficult time parting with my CMP Garand. It's a gun I always wanted since I was a kid. I had it professionally rebuilt with a 7.62x51 barrel and it's probably the most perfect gun I own. It's beautiful, reliable, shoots a common round, is powerful and extremely accurate. Emotionally, it's my favorite.

The realist in me tells me I'd have to keep my Colt CCO. It pulls CCW duty along with my S&W 642. However, unlike the 642, I actually enjoy shooting the CCO. These two guns are my most trusted companions.

Thumper5
January 5, 2007, 05:59 PM
My early-production 8-inch Colt #1 factory-tuned nickel Python set up for PPC. Marvelous gun.

McCall911
January 5, 2007, 06:39 PM
I've been through a lot in my life and have lost a lot. Losing things tends to make you realize that you're in trouble if you think you can't live without mere things. And guns are just things. Whatever things I lose can be replaced. The people in my life, well, that's a different matter.

redneck2
January 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
I think the answer to this should be something that can't be replaced.

Mine would be my 1885 Browning Creedmore Highwall in .45-90 and my Colt SAA .44-40. My wife worked overtime and cashed in her vacation to get them for me when we were first married. There may be others, but these are the only ones that have this much meaning.

RH822
January 5, 2007, 08:18 PM
I've been through a lot in my life and have lost a lot. Losing things tends to make you realize that you're in trouble if you think you can't live without mere things. And guns are just things. Whatever things I lose can be replaced. The people in my life, well, that's a different matter.

Gun You Just Can't Live Without?

It's called "A figure of speech"
You certainly don't believe that your the only person posting here that feels that way.

mrwiggins
January 5, 2007, 08:30 PM
a colt combat commander in stainless. i just love 1911's. other than that, my s&w model 66-5 and my browning 30.06 come in close

McCall911
January 5, 2007, 08:30 PM
It's called "A figure of speech"

I know, I know. I'm familiar.

My point was about the obvious fact that things are replaceable.
Obvious meaning that probably everybody knows about it, that's all.

Radagast
January 6, 2007, 12:12 AM
My CZ452 .22 magnum rifle. It's accurate, with a great trigger and beautiful wood. I've owned it for 10 years. I've a 452 in .17HMR which is a bit of a disapointment in comparison. Lovely wood but roughly machined and not as accurate.
Of my handguns, I guess my four inch P&R S&W model 66 from 1971. It's is discontinued, so it would be hard to replace and it's the most accurate handgun I own. I don't use it much, preferring my Beretta 92FS and my 1911 in .38 super, but they could both be replaced with similar factory new firearms if I had to.

Juna
January 6, 2007, 12:35 AM
The one I don't have..... :evil:

Gun Plumber
January 6, 2007, 12:38 AM
I would say it's the ones I've owned the longest. Both for at least 25 years.

My pistol is a Dan Wesson 6" .357 mag
My rifle is a Rem 700 BDL heavy barrel in .308

10-Ring
January 6, 2007, 01:47 AM
I really miss my HK long guns....namely my 91 and 93 :( :banghead:

ForeverArmed
January 6, 2007, 02:02 AM
At this point it's my Vepr II in 7.62x39 with the 20" barrel. The caliber isn't my favorite (I prefer 5.56 NATO for "mouse guns"), but I love the solid feel and utter reliability. It's even highly accurate, unlike most AKs. It's kind of cool that it was made in Russia, too (except for a few parts, like the furniture).

McCall911
January 6, 2007, 09:06 AM
Okay, now...

I can't live without a Remington 870 12 gauge. Talk about versatility!

What? I'm still alive?
:what:

It's a miracle! A miracle, I tell you!

:D

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun You Just Can't Live Without?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!