Looking for a .22 thats accurate and reliable without mods

PDA

streetstang67
January 4, 2007, 06:02 PM
I want a .22 that is accurate and reliable for plinking and target benchrest shooting. I don't want to spend a whole lot, under $200 would be ideal. And it must have a detachable magazine, not tube fed.

I know many people will suggest a ruger 10/22, and that may be the best choice, but how accurate is the factory barrel?

Almost forgot, must be semi-auto.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a .22 thats accurate and reliable without mods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
January 4, 2007, 06:09 PM
there are several reliable .22's for your price, but not really accurate ones for benchrest. Marlin has a nice one, and the longer barrelled Ruger without the barrel band.

MrPeter
January 4, 2007, 06:13 PM
I was just about to post a similar thread.
My situation is that I want a fun semi-auto .22lr that isn't for hunting anything, but just for some fun can-assassination.
Fun is the most important part of this purchase for me, so I have (I think) narrowed it down to a ruger 10/22 with a bull barrell and a hi-cap mag, or converting it using the krinker-plinker (http://www.krinker-plinker.com) kit, or a Walther G22 (http://www.waltheramerica.com/firearms/g22.cfm).

As of now, I'm thinking I'll get the G22, because I really like the bullpup design. Does anyone know anything about this rifle yet?

First post BTW. :D

And sorry if I'm asking a question diverting the topic away from yours. I just think that our questions are similar enough to be in the same thread.

Don't Tread On Me
January 4, 2007, 06:19 PM
Ruger 10/22 barrel is about 3-4moa. It can go down to 2moa at best if you get lucky, find a load it likes (match grade ammo), and conditions are good.

Talking about 10/22 factory barrel accuracy is a sensitive subject, because a lot of times when you report the real accuracy of these barrels, someone gets offended or feels the need to report the 1moa group they shot. Either they shot a 3-shot group which is useless, or it was the miracle group of the day - while the other 15 groups were 3", or they don't know how to measure. This happens with all categories of rifles though.

When I had my factory barrel, I did shoot some 1-hole groups. That's true. But it wasn't the norm by far. Of the dozens I've seen, I have yet to see one produce exceptional accuracy consistently.

The Ruger is pretty reliable. It is hailed as the most reliable autoloading .22LR. Mine was not. It was pretty rough from the factory and wasn't smoothing out. I buffed the inside of the reciever and various contact points and the action became smoother than butter. No problems since then.

The Ruger is an "accurate enough" rifle for small game, and for plinking/blasting at the range.

The best .22LR that exists today for the money is CZ. This is not opinion, this is fact. Best quality wood, actual steel receiver. Well machined. Well built. Made like rifles were once made in the U.S. 50 years ago. They are tack-driver accurate and solid with good triggers out of the box.

Matt King
January 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
I would recommend that you check out the CZ 452. It is a bolt action .22 caliber rifle, with a five round detachable magazine. Mine is a real nail driver, and has functioned perfectly with all kinds of ammo. You can find them priced at anywhere from $250-$400. It is the perfect .22 for benchrest shooting.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that you were asking about a semi. In that case, I would recomend a Marlin 60. I have found them to be more accurate out of the box than the Ruger 10/22.

ArmedBear
January 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
Semi-auto, benchrest, and $200 in the same sentence show some SERIOUSLY unrealistic expectations.

A Ruger 10/22, while it lacks basic features like an automatic bolt release, is probably your best bet if you MUST have a detachable mag, good reliability, some semblance of accuracy, and semiauto, for that price range. I'd get a Marlin 60 -- and I have a 10/22 -- but either way you'll have a fun toy. Nothing more. $200 is a tight budget, if you really expect the world.

Benchrest target shooting, in any serious way, requires a VERY accurate rifle. Semiauto rifles generally offer the lowest accuracy per dollar of any type of gun. BR target shooting is generally done with enormous scopes and tiny targets, at least in any kind of rimfire competition.

ArmedBear
January 4, 2007, 06:30 PM
The best .22LR that exists today for the money is CZ. This is not opinion, this is fact. Best quality wood, actual steel receiver. Well machined. Well built. Made like rifles were once made in the U.S. 50 years ago. They are tack-driver accurate and solid with good triggers out of the box.

They're not accurate enough for benchrest target shooting, if that's really what he means.

Jim Watson
January 4, 2007, 06:46 PM
There is a fair amount of sporter benchrest shooting being done. Groups are not as small as with dedicated (expensive) target rifles, but good shooting is being done and you can have a good time and learn a lot for not a whole lot of money. CZ is the way to go for that.

ArmedBear
January 4, 2007, 06:47 PM
Not without a good scope. $600 would be a realistic minimum, I think, for sporter benchrest. That's a lot cheaper than the real deal, but it's still not $200.:)

Jackal
January 4, 2007, 06:51 PM
Well, in the original post, it sounds like you just described an older Remington 511. They can be easily found in decent shape for about $150 and are far higher quality than you will find with todays rifles.

karlsgunbunker
January 4, 2007, 07:35 PM
It's not Semi but the Tula TOZ-78 is a nice accurate rifle.
Comes with 2 - 5rd and 2 - 10rd mags
SOG - $129
Zangers - $98
Classic Arms - $129

streetstang67
January 4, 2007, 07:37 PM
Can I buy a ruger 10/22 reciever/bolt assembly and add my choice barrel and stock?

U.S.SFC_RET
January 4, 2007, 07:47 PM
Remington 597 gets pretty close, I swear. I bought one from Dicks sporting goods for 157.00 out the door with a scope and at 100 yards 2 MOA easy.

____hoot____
January 4, 2007, 07:57 PM
I have a Ithaca X15 from the early 60's that will shoot honest-to-god! sub 2 inch ten shot groups at 100 yards all day long if I feed it Winchester copper plated hi/vel solids, but it's not as good with other ammo. Not what you call bench rest accuracy, but darn good for a semi-auto 22 with a long skinny barrel and a slightly creepy trigger. Wish the new Ithaca company would start produceing that one again, this time with a flush fitting magazine instead of the ten round that sticks out and screws-up the carry point and a real metal trigger guard instead of nylon.

Outlaws
January 4, 2007, 08:07 PM
Why does anyone even have to pick apart "benchrest" on this thread. If the guy actually ment a benchrest competition he would more than likely already know that those guns are not $200. He probably ment benchrest as in the sandbags at the local range for punching paper. Its like the internet has got rid of all common sense. :banghead:

The guy wants a $200 rifle that is acurate for a $200 rifle.

ArmedBear
January 4, 2007, 08:18 PM
The guy wants a $200 rifle that is acurate for a $200 rifle.

When I got into shooting a .22, I had no idea about what kind of accuracy I could expect for $200. As far as I knew, a decent rifle shoots the bullet straight at the target. Hell, I took a semiauto to a benchrest competition; I had no IDEA what it really took to shoot accurately.

I wasn't trying to pick that apart. Even if you're shooting off bags, you'll see the limitations of a rimfire rifle.

It's a "what do you REALLY want?" question.

_N4Z_
January 4, 2007, 08:21 PM
Inexpensive .22lr that is reliable and accurate?

Plain Jane Marlin925 bolt action with a 7 round magazine.

Mine has shot under quarter size 7 shot groups @ 50 yards with WolfMT ammo. This has also been done with bulk boxed Federal510, though not as consistantly. The WolfMT has also managed dime size a few times.

This past weekend the wife and myself went out. With this rifle she pushed a golf ball from 40 yards out to about 98 in under 6 shots. Lost it in the grass @ 98.

We both have rung an 11" diameter gong with it @ 200 yards.

This is both bragging and truth. Damn good rifle. I've got a 100 dollar Simmons scope on it too. The rifle was bought new for $160 out the door from a local gunshop.

streetstang67
January 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
Any rifle I buy, I want it to be as accurate as I can afford. I know there will be compromises...but I want a good all around 22 that is accurate, reliable and somewhere around $200, no more than $250-275, the less the better. It has to be semi-auto, ammo is cheap so I will be shooting a lot. Also has to have a detachable magazine, I dont like leaning over the muzzle to load a tube fed rifle.

_N4Z_
January 4, 2007, 08:43 PM
OK, well if you insist on a semi auto, you could look to Marlin again. Marlin60 can be had for around 100 bucks and is very accurate. I have 2 different friends who each have one of these, one scoped, one not. Both accurate, though I like mine better. :D It is tube magazine, but you don't lean over the muzzle to load it. It loads on the side of the tube.

If you want "expert" opinions on the 22lr and similar, also look here -

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

zero_chances
January 4, 2007, 09:14 PM
U.S.SFC_RET-

Remington 597 gets pretty close, I swear. I bought one from Dicks sporting goods for 157.00 out the door with a scope and at 100 yards 2 MOA easy.

I got a 597 and love it. i havent had the time to really test the accuracy of it, but so far it hits what i point it at. very reliable too

Sniper4Life
January 4, 2007, 09:34 PM
Why not a savage 64? It costs about $120 and is as accurate as a 10/22. But unfortunantly there arnt any hi-cap mags for it. Use the money you save and spend it on better glass and ammo.

JonB
January 4, 2007, 11:48 PM
For a 200 dollar rifle, I went with a Marlin 60s. I didn't like the clip sticking out of the bottom on a 10/22 and figured the tube magazine is easier to load. Anyway, slapped a decent scope on it and it is the bane of many many gophers.

kerank
January 4, 2007, 11:55 PM
Marlin 60.

From my experience (1 Marlin 60 and have had 3 different 10/22s), it easily out shoots the Ruger 10/22 out of the box. Nice little rifle with more accuracy than you should expect at that price point (around $115 at Wally World).

rustymaggot
January 5, 2007, 12:06 AM
in ruger 10/22's defense

since ruger 10/22's are aftermarketed to death, why would ruger put in good parts to begin with? ever notice that the only parts on a 10/22 that are junk are the commonly replaced ones? barrel, trigger, extractor, ect. why spend money making decent parts when users are just discarding them anyway.

rugers need a few aftermarket parts but not that many.

ArchAngelCD
January 5, 2007, 02:56 AM
The Savage 64FVXP Package has a 10 round detachable mag and a 4X32 Scope. It lists for $193. Unfortunately that model doesn't come with the AccuTrigger. Even without the AccuTrigger it's a very good rifle but the AccuTrigger would be a better shooter. http://www.savagearms.com/64fvxp.htm

We own 2 Savage .22's and both are great. (Model 64F semi-auto and a Mark II-G bolt action) I added a 4-9X20 scope to both and that was all I had to do. I think a 32mm lens might have been better but the 20mm lens does a fairly good job.

shaggycat
January 5, 2007, 10:59 AM
The Marlin 795 is essentially a Marlin 60 with a detachable magazine. I have one and, while it is probably as accurate as you can get with a semi-auto .22 under 200 dollars, it is not a benchrest gun. I can shoot postage stamp sized groups from 25 yards without a rest consistently, which is good enough for me. The gun was $120 out the door, so perhaps that extra cash could be used to shore up the horrible (I do mean horrible) trigger.

kds99
January 5, 2007, 11:49 AM
check out a ruger 10/22t rifle shoots better than me at 100 yrds
but the cost is a bit more than your 200 bucks

dfaugh
January 5, 2007, 12:07 PM
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60

Oh, did I mention the Marlin 60?

Mine shoots 10 shot groups, that can be covered with a dime at 50 yards, using Wolf Match Target ammo (best I've found, but you may have to experiment to find the "right" load. Wincherster T-22s and Federal "Classic" Gold lable shoot almost as well).

This a well used (I got got it lightly used, and I've put about 5000 rounds through it) Model 60, with a 3-9x Tasco Pronghorn ($40 on sale) scope mounted.

I suspect (and I'm gonna try) a higher powered/better scope as I think I may even be able to do a bit better w/ higher magnification (I have vision problems).

You can find them new, on sale for about $125. Add some good rings and a half-way decent scope, and you're well under the $200 mark.

P.S. I've shot against much more expensive guns, including my buddies Win Model 52 w/ 24x Unertl Scope, and some really tricked out 10/22s---no one has (quite) beat my groups yet.I routinely take head shots at squirrels at 75 yards, and zap crows at 100.

ZeSpectre
January 5, 2007, 12:11 PM
I'm also voting for the Savage 64. I bought mine on a whim for $84 (I believe you can usually get them for about $100 or so) and it's a perfectly fine rifle for varmits and plinking.

mrmeval
January 5, 2007, 12:19 PM
You can buy ever part of a Ruger 10/22 without having to give Ruger a dime. There are some very expensive race guns made using that design but are done with high precision and very high quality materials.

A barrel change is easy and you can add a bull barrel and the stock for it. Prices vary with precision.

115grfmj
January 5, 2007, 12:27 PM
Marlin............. 795 will cost you alittle over a hundred. Clip fed. 2inch groups at 100yds with winchester bulk stuff. Nuff said.:D

rchernandez
January 5, 2007, 12:58 PM
A fairly nice repeater with a 10-round magazine is the Marlin 7000T. No longer in production, they occasionally show up for sale starting at around $300...going up. Mine has become my 13yo son's favorite. It's a heavy bull barreled rifle with a red-white-and-blue laminated stock that with a reasonably powered scope puts dime to quater sized groups at 50 yards (depending on ammo).

I'll post a picture later today. Good luck on your search!

andy B
January 5, 2007, 04:51 PM
I am also looking at a new 22 LR. I was looking at Kimber Hunter, Volquartsen lightweight, Magnum Research, an Anschutz (don't know model, entry level). I haven't lookied at the CZ yet. I want something nice quality fit/finish and accurate and relliable. I will be mounting a 2-7 scope on it. Will be target shooting )no competion, just fun), plinking, and hunting. The Volquartsen are about $850 and guarenteed .375 accurate at 50 yards. The kImber and Anschutz are at about the same $800 range. The MR is at $550. Can anyone offer suggestions on these or others?

rchernandez
January 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
Andy B,

Check out www.thadscott.com or call Mac Tinton www.mtguns.com for used anschutz and other rimfire rifles.

Also checkout www.rimfirecentral.com/forums

ATAShooter
January 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
OK, I'll be the odd ball... A used Winchester 67-A single shot bolt action. 27" barrel, and with open sights it's excellent. Probably would be great with a scope, but they way it is does me fine. 150 to 200 in 95% or better. There's a couple on Gunbroker.

streetstang67
January 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
I've been reading around, and it looks like the Remington 597 is a real contender. From what I can gather, it had some reliability issues early in production, but those have since been corrected. Also it seems to have a reputation for being very accurate. Lastly, while it doesn't have near the aftermarket that the 10/22 has, it does have more aftermarket parts than the others (savage, marlin, etc.). What are your thoughts on this?

zero_chances
January 5, 2007, 08:56 PM
I just ordered the new 30 round mag for my 597. I havent got it yet though. As far as i know, the only aftermarket parts are a hammer for a lighter pull, extractor, a few different barrels, a muzzle brake, a sight base or two, and the 30 rd mag.

Here are some links to those products

Volquarsten (https://www.volquartsen.com/vc//pages/public/ListItems.jsp?id=16)

30 rd Mag and Muzzle Brake (http://www.eagle-international-direct.com/product_info.php?products_id=68)

Asaph
January 5, 2007, 10:42 PM
The 10/22 is a very good all around 22 that is accurate and reliable.
I have one and to me it's the best 22 rifle that i've ever shot!

check this out
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=39&variation=10/22%AE%20Rimfire&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

these are the best.
K10/22RPF, K10/22-T, 10/22RR

Good luck! :)

MCgunner
January 5, 2007, 11:39 PM
Wow, after reading these threads I almost wanna cut up my 10/22 and melt it for scrap. Yet, somehow, the thing shoots 100% reliably (as reliable as any .22 semi auto) and is fun. How perplexing. I've got more accurate .22s, but the Ruger is a handy little fun rifle and 4moa is accurate enough for plinking and small game. Mine is iron sighted, just a plinker. My most accurate .22 is actually a sub MOA gun with RWS Target. It's a 45 year old gun built "the way they used to be in this country", a Remington M512X. I got it for my 9th birthday and I still shoot it. It's a bolt gun, though. In an auto, I suppose the CZ is probably the best, don't know, never fired one, but I'd be hard pressed not to run down to Wallyworld and buy a Marlin M60, or better yet, find one at a pawn shop for 60 bucks. They're everywhere. They're at least twice as accurate as a 10/22 in my experience.

If you really want a .22 to shoot, feed it decent ammo. RWS target is pretty decent and can sometimes even out shoot Eley which is much more expensive. If you're shootin' Federal Lightening, don't expect olympic quality groups from even an Anschutz. OTOH, I have an old Mossberg M152 built back in the 50s (also got when I was a kid) that is normally a 4MOA gun, about like the Ruger, that turned into a 1.5 moa gun with Eley Match. Amazing how it woke that old gun up. I'm not sure why, but it is nearly 7 dollars a box of fifty last time I bought it, been a while. But, heck, you pay that for CCI Maxi Mag, so for the accuracy, it's a bargain! Plink with the bulk stuff, get serious with the match stuff. I have some left here of RWS and I think some Eley. Might try it in the Ruger sometime, but I don't know how the action will function since the stuff is lightly loaded compared to HV stuff. It could make a difference in the accuracy of the stock barrel, though, worth a try. But, like I say, I bought the thing for plinkin', not target work.

MCgunner
January 5, 2007, 11:51 PM
For a 200 dollar rifle, I went with a Marlin 60s. I didn't like the clip sticking out of the bottom on a 10/22 and figured the tube magazine is easier to load.

I don't like "clips" sticking out of the bottom, either. That's why I use the stock flush fitting rotary magazines in my 10/22, much easier to load than a tube mag and safer to load than a tube mag.;) Picked up my 10/22 in stainless at a gun show for $150. :D

repo
January 5, 2007, 11:52 PM
I don't own one but the Remington 597 HB (heavy barrel) are supposed to be pretty accurate, at least more than the standard model. They are about $230. I think they look alot nicer than the 10/22. I'm thinking about getting a 597 HB myself. I saw a good indepth review of it on a website a while ago but I'm having trouble finding it again.

zero_chances
January 5, 2007, 11:56 PM
i beleive mine is the heavy barrel because it has no iron sights

TX_Shooter
January 6, 2007, 12:00 AM
There really is a lot out there for under the 150.00 to me that is accurate. I will admit, mine is one of them marlin795. I got it for less the 110.00 (it was on sale).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3348.jpg

MCgunner
January 6, 2007, 12:14 AM
I've got a Remington M597 Magnum in .22 WMR and it is a 1.5 moa shooter so far. I say "so far" because I got it not long ago and I've only tried several types of ammo in it. It's very accurate, though. I put a "target hammer" in it which reduced trigger effort dramatically. It was rather stiff. Got the hammer for about 35 bucks from midwayusa.com. That's really the only thing the gun needs. Mine has a standard barrel on it. I like the "real rifle" size of the gun, too.

rangerruck
January 6, 2007, 12:23 AM
for new, cz is at the top end of your money, but will be super accurate, and a lifetime rifle. otherwise for new, any marlin or savage or mossberg. Also you can go to anypawnshop, or gunshop,and get any used of the above, plus old remmy winny, mossy, h&r's, henry itaca, etc. any of the oldies should be accurate. but for new ; marlin savage, mossy, once again.

borrowedtime69
January 6, 2007, 02:00 AM
another recommendation for the Marlin 795 clip fed semi-auto. mine was awesome for accuracy & function right out of the box, no mods needed.

cant say that about Ruger 10-22. i have one, didnt shoot like a laser till i put on a target hammer & a new target bull barrel. -Eric

EdLaver
January 6, 2007, 02:13 AM
i know you were weary about a 10/22, but check this site out, you can transform a 10/22 in an accurate AK style "Krinker/Plinker" and it comes with a barrel replacement. Just a thought, check it out:

http://www.krinkerplinker.com/

AH-1
January 6, 2007, 08:53 AM
my stock ruger 10-22 is a pretty good shooter out of the box.tack driver no but plenty good enough.
for target work it is pretty hard to beat one of the brno bolt action 22 rifles if you really into accuracy.mod#1 to #5.these will out shoot the CZ's.if you find one buy it!!
pete
1948 brno mod#1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/2007_01051brno0005.jpg

TOU
January 12, 2007, 10:54 PM
X2

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a .22 thats accurate and reliable without mods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!