Pseudo-Gun Buffs are annoying

PDA

twoblink
January 6, 2003, 10:45 AM
So I hear these 4 students talking about guns today. One of them is headed for the army, and so he is talking about how he's a bit apprehensive about shooting a gun.

So the "leader" of the pack, who's never shot a gun before in his life but is a "gun buff" by default because he's the leader of the pack, proceeds to tell the guy the difference between a pistol and a rifle;

He then goes on the describe something that made me almost choke...

He said "On the front part of the rifle, below the barrel is a hex shaped screw (reference to an M14 here) and if you turn it a few times, the bullets will 1) fire faster, 2) go full auto..."

WOW!! I never knew the gas regulator nut on an M14 will do all that!! :rolleyes: :scrutiny: :scrutiny: :confused: :rolleyes:

It's great for lard and giggles to hear these guys who've never touched a gun before in their lives talk about them...

If you enjoyed reading about "Pseudo-Gun Buffs are annoying" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
2nd Amendment
January 6, 2003, 11:11 AM
I gotta go get the Springfield out and give that thing a twist. I'll get back to ya about how it works... :banghead:

Greg L
January 6, 2003, 11:12 AM
So the "leader" of the pack, who's never shot a gun before in his life but is a "gun buff"

Twoblink, I think that you had a slight typo there. The term should be "gun bluff" (and hope that there isn't anyone around to correct him :) ).

Greg

El Rojo
January 6, 2003, 11:26 AM
I love this guy I was chatting with while playing Yuri's Revenge. Told me he got a new gun. A 12 gauge double barreled silencer with pistol grip! I stopped listening to him right after that.

mjustice
January 6, 2003, 11:36 AM
I don't have to go to far to find those bluffers... just look in the local gun shop or at one of the local ranges around here. Idiots around every corner :)

Sometimes it's better to laugh at their comments rather than respond with facts.. I tend to laugh while moving further down the firing line.

MJ

cheygriz
January 6, 2003, 11:41 AM
What really hurts is when someone who SHOULD know better makes stupid statements.

Years ago, I had a 30 years service retired marine master sergeant tell me that the 1903 Springfield was a .30-30.

An active duty army staff sergeant told me that a 1911 .45 auto kicked so hard that if you didn't wrap your wrist tightly with four or five wraps of wide adhesive tape, it would sprain your wrist.

Then there was the WW2 veteran that told me the M-1 Garand kicked so hard that while firing prone, you had to dig little holes to put the front half of your foot in, or else the rifle would move you back 6 inches every time you fired it.

How about the police academy instructor that told me that a .357 magnum would penetrate a car engine, "through and through."

Yohan
January 6, 2003, 11:50 AM
cheygriz,

Maybe the people you were talking to were joking or being sarcastic- We can all hope :rolleyes:

Hkmp5sd
January 6, 2003, 11:52 AM
Give the poor guy a break, twoblink. After all, he already knows more about guns than the democrats in congress and they are the ones writing gun control laws. :)

cheygriz
January 6, 2003, 12:05 PM
Yohan, I wish that were true. Unfortunately, these guys were dead serious.

I don't know what these guys did in the military, but I strongly suspect they were cooks, clerks, weather forecasters or etc.

The problem is, they think that just because they were in military service, and have experience drinking beer with people who actually are experts, then that makes them experts. OH, well....

But I can think of NO EXCUSE for the police academy instructor..

Betty
January 6, 2003, 12:08 PM
The ones who annoy me are the "Everything I Need to Know About Firearms I Learned from Video Games" crowd. :scrutiny:

Hemicuda
January 6, 2003, 12:33 PM
buddy from the navy told him...

This supposed "gunners mate" told my cousin (and later, after I confronted him) that the slug fired from a .50 Cal (M-60) would kill you with "air concussion" if the bullet passed within six feet of you, and that this was true all the way out to it's 10 MILE accurate range...

I QUICKLY informed this buffoon that he was so full of crapola that his eyes had turned brown, and corrected the lies he had told my cousin...

50 Shooter
January 6, 2003, 12:36 PM
Best one I heard about a .50 was that if it passed within 6" of your head, that it would tear your head off.:rolleyes:

Guy B. Meredith
January 6, 2003, 01:05 PM
Years ago on one of the two original Internets inside Xerox (the other being DARPA) someone was passing on the information that a .38 spl could go in the front bumper of a car and come out the back bumper.

Now I had only fired a .38 spl once by this time, most experience being with 12 GA slugs and .22 rifles with a sprinkling of 30-06 through a rechambered Argentine Mauser, but even then I smelled something wrong and mentioned that I thought perhaps the smoke coming out the barrel of their revolver was of an herbal origin. (Remember shotgunning pot?)

Guy B. Meredith

firestar
January 6, 2003, 01:10 PM
The easiest place to find these jokers is behind the counter of a gunstore or at any gunshow.

I have heard more BS spewed by gunstore clerks than any other source. Most (most) people that don't know anything about a subject will pretty much keep quite but somehow once someone gets a job at a gunstore, they become an expert.

I hate to see these jokers giving false advice to what seem like decent people. I went through a little of that but I was able to sniff out some of the more blatent lies because I was an avid reader of gun books so I had a little knowledge.

Mike Irwin
January 6, 2003, 01:22 PM
Yes, they are.

A lot of times you'll hear them proclaiming how a single .45 ACP round will turn a man inside out...

A special prayer...

"God grant that my choice of the .45 ACP make up for my piss-poor shoot placement."

:cuss: :banghead: :rolleyes:

Dan Shapiro
January 6, 2003, 01:27 PM
This brit-proof M1 is straight out of the CMP -- gun show dealer :banghead:

JohnK
January 6, 2003, 02:07 PM
An active duty army staff sergeant told me that a 1911 .45 auto kicked so hard that if you didn't wrap your wrist tightly with four or five wraps of wide adhesive tape, it would sprain your wrist.

I've heard and read that one several times too, my 45's must be broken because they sure don't have that much recoil, that or I've been shooting defective 45 ACP ammo for years! :)

Phyphor
January 6, 2003, 05:52 PM
Runt said: "The ones who annoy me are the "Everything I Need to Know About Firearms I Learned from Video Games" crowd. "

Ain't that the truth. I AM a gamer myself, but I've been shooting a helluva lot longer than I've been playing games...and the stuff you'll come up on in online game servers is nothing short of amazing, in just the sheer stupidity of some of it.

Like one clown that claimed to own a ".50 caliber M-60 with a silencer. "

I got killed in-game because I was laughing too hard to continue playing.:banghead: :cuss: :evil:

4v50 Gary
January 6, 2003, 06:10 PM
"Flick your wrist when you shoot. It makes the bullet go faster." - One Chinese gangster to another.

I overheard this as a kid. :) I'm glad they had such good instructions. It made it safer for everyone else. :D

spacemanspiff
January 6, 2003, 06:28 PM
someone at a gun show told me that he bought the drop in modification kit for his glock 21 to make it full auto. this was after he stated that most of his business is done with law enforcement up here and hes never had anyone complain about the wide grips on glocks by people like me with stumpy fingers.

isnt the full auto kits illegal?

4v50 Gary
January 6, 2003, 07:01 PM
It's legal only for LE agencies and Class III dealers to possess and of course, officers who carry it during the course of employment.

twoblink
January 6, 2003, 07:58 PM
The ones who annoy me are the "Everything I Need to Know About Firearms I Learned from Video Games" crowd.

Runt, that's my brother!! He plays CounterStrike, and he and his "net friends" were talking about which guns they liked best and which ones "shot well".. I proceeded to say that I never knew he even fired a gun! He said, he's tried all of them, how he likes the Remingtons etc...

Oh, you mean a REAL gun? Oh no, I've never tried one of those.. But aren't they the same as in the video games??

I don't know how you go about answering that so I just walked away..:rolleyes:

Rebeldon
January 6, 2003, 08:09 PM
Just the other day a man told me that the AK-47 was accurate up to 1000-yards. And he knows, because "I had to go up against the AK-47 when I was in 'Nam. He pulled the "when I was in 'Nam" routine. How can I refute his experience "in 'Nam" claim? That's too sacred!

HankL
January 6, 2003, 08:38 PM
I really hate to rain on this parade BUT the hex head below the barrel is not a screw it is the "Gas Cylinder Plug". The screw on the right hand side of the gas cylinder is the "Spindle Valve".
The spindle valve has two positions one being on the other being off. It is not a "gas regulator nut".

Keep to The High Road my friends. :)

twoblink
January 6, 2003, 08:42 PM
HankL,

Yes, but when you turn it a couple of times, it will make your gun go full auto! :D :neener:

Phyphor
January 6, 2003, 09:04 PM
Twoblink,

Alright, where's the control on my Garand to make it blow up cars?

The manual seems sadly lacking in this regard....

I've seen it in the movies so I know it can be done!:D

HankL
January 6, 2003, 09:09 PM
WOW!! I never knew the gas regulator nut on an M14 will do all that!!

Twoblink, I thought that you said that. I understand the jist of this thread perfectly and I agree with you. Several firearms have
"gas regulators" the M14/M1A types do not.

Keep to the High Road.

Admiral Thrawn
January 6, 2003, 09:22 PM
"The ones who annoy me are the "Everything I Need to Know About Firearms I Learned from Video Games" crowd. "

Hahaha, yes I know exactly what you mean. There was this one guys who preaches about weapons, acts like he is a great military commander with masterful tactics, yadda yadda yadda...
Then when a good friend of mine took him to see the new James Bond film, he was making all these noises, covering his eyes, and squirming, because, at it happens, had never been to a cinema before!

This guy really new *nothing* about the outside world whatsoever...

All he ever did was play video games and stick his head in books.

Talk about a severely closeted lifestyle. (He is this 17 year old Chinese guy, in final year of school now... apparently, his parents control his every move).

Robby from Long Island
January 6, 2003, 09:29 PM
MJUSTICE,

You must be talking about T&T Gunnery in Seaford and the American Outdoorsman on 110.:D

hansolo
January 6, 2003, 09:42 PM
"A .357 will go right through a car, front to rear..."

Yes, but those Fram air filters will stop it cold:neener:

Politically Incorrect
January 6, 2003, 10:05 PM
I had a friend's brother tell me that the 10mm round was more powerful than a .44 magnum. I politely showed him a ballistic chart and showed how the 10mm was closer to the .41 Magnum in power, but was far from the hot .44 loads.

He still believe that there was some 10mm cartridge that was more powerful. :rolleyes:

He has come up with some other bluffs, but I don't waste my time.

-Tommy

vulcan
January 6, 2003, 10:26 PM
I just introduced a longtime gamer to guns recently. After the pre range safety briefing, I had to remind him:

1)Don't snap the cylinder closed on my revolvers:fire:

2)No, holding the gun sideways gangsta style doesn't work:D

3)If you forget the safety rules, There are no health packs or reset on this game

He did OK the first time, I just had to unlearn him of his gun knowledge from too many movies & video games:) We were shooting some light reloads I put together for his first time. He was saying "Its just like the movies". I let him try a cylinder of my special"house brand" .357 handloads. After a shot, He wanted the plinkers again:D I asked him,"A little more recoil than your PS2 rumble controllers Huh?":D Anyway my first convert for the year. Many more to enlighten:)

Phyphor
January 6, 2003, 11:04 PM
Vulcan, that was kinda funny, but I hope you didn't give that guy a flinch....

twoblink
January 7, 2003, 06:23 AM
HankL,

That's his saying, not mine.. Oh..
wait, I see what you are saying..

No, the hex nut in front is to keep the piston from shooting out the front end; it's not a gas regulator (I guess it is technically as gas will leak out if it's not screwed on)

But you get what I'm saying, yada yada yada..

Vulcan; but didn't you see all those Chow Young Fat movies??? You HAVE TO hold the gun sideways; how else do they know you are a wannabe-gansta!??:rolleyes:

Butch
January 7, 2003, 08:08 AM
Met a guy once (read dope ) who could hit a quarter 9 out of 10 times at 1000 yards, offhand !:uhoh: :rolleyes: :scrutiny: :banghead: :cuss:

Viking6
January 7, 2003, 08:20 AM
Actually, the folks can be helpful. As soon as you hear their rap, you can immediately disregard and disengage. You have to feel a little sad for them and their self-delusion, a bunch of Cliff Clavens.

Tamara
January 7, 2003, 09:07 AM
Knew one of those types who began every story with "Back when I was in the Gha-Dang valley in the Weeshlong Delta..." (Apparently he was having someone else's VietNam flashbacks.) Anyhow, he'd go on and on about how "I raised hell when they tried to take my M-14 away and give me one of those M-16s. I lay awake at night thinking of all the poor dead kids that I rolled over to find that they were laying on a jammed M-16. I'd like to show Eugene Stoner what I learned at sniper school, 'cause he was working for the Vietnamese!"

All the while, I'm thinking "Dude, you were like twelve years old when they switched from the 14 to the 16...". :rolleyes:

Thumper
January 7, 2003, 09:13 AM
The Weeshlong Delta?

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

:D

Mr Jody Hudson
January 7, 2003, 09:15 AM
I CAN hit an oreo cookie almost every time from 1,000 yards with my Walther TPH .22. And, come on over, I'll prove it...
:scrutiny:

But, I have to walk forward about 999 yards and a half, first.
:banghead:

Now, may I please go back and advise those who NEED me? :neener:

I was living in LA during the Rodney King stuff. Many of the folks in my office knew me as the country boy with guns and knives and stuff. Several of them were going out and buying "major caliber guns" for protection and got to arguing. Finally they came to me as the arbiter to see who was right and asked me what the most effective major caliber weapon was for a one shot kill.

I told them the 58 Buick or Caddy at full speed would do the best. Then I had to explain a few minutes later that those were old heavy cars! :what:

Don Gwinn
January 7, 2003, 09:22 AM
If you work with kids, say at summer camp or school, you hear a lot of this. Coming from them it's not so bad; they don't know any better. They just have dads who have "Cougar Magnums" (007 Goldeneye) and such.

I could hit that quarter from 1000 yards if I were allowed to walk the first 995. If I had to run, I'd probably still miss. :D

eoR
January 7, 2003, 09:34 AM
"Back when I was in the Gha-Dang valley in the Weeshlong Delta..."
<Sigmund Freud> Perhaps his use of the term "Weeshlong" can provide us a clue as to which inadequacy he is trying to compensate for with his fabrications </Sigmund Freud> :eek: ;)

NewShooter78
January 7, 2003, 09:57 AM
This is why I turned to TFL when I started shooting. Even now I will not really talk tech about guns because I have way to much to still learn. There is no way I would want to be one of the people you are talking about. :evil:

KMKeller
January 7, 2003, 10:25 AM
<Sigmund Freud> Perhaps his use of the term "Weeshlong" can provide us a clue as to which inadequacy he is trying to compensate for with his fabrications </Sigmund Freud>

ROFLMAO!

dave
January 7, 2003, 10:55 AM
We had to arrest a man last year, he threatened his girlfriend and half the area with an SKS.

While at the hospital awaiting the "mental health" folks, he started crying and sobbing. Seems that every time he came near any "jungle gun" he had flashbacks to 'Nam. Said he couldn't help himself and that the nightmares just wouldn't leave him alone. At one point he slid down behind the exam table and started yelling "Charlie's comming!, Charlie's comming!". He told the nurses some sad stories about being lost in the "bush" for days on end and how he had to ID many friends by taking off their boots to look at their feet, as that was all there was left of them after being shot "into a million little bits" by the .55 cal and AK-107 (nope, no typo). He continued to yell "Nam! The damn Nam!".

A couple of the nurses got a little upset at us because we were trying hard not to laugh and not doing a very good job of it. Now, I want to make it very clear, we would NEVER laugh at a fellow vet with problems. It's just that we knew two things the nurses didn't. Well, I guess you could really say that we knew one thing they didn't and that we were able to understand the meaning of one other thing. The first being, about a year prior to then he had been found "not responsible" for the shooting and wounding of someone, due to his "mental state" and that he had never be in any military service. We figured he was trying to ride that horse again.

Well, the nurses didn't agree. They, with tears in their eyes, let us know what "heartless, non-careing bad men" we were for not showing more concern for someone soooo traumatized by the war. **sigh** Some days are like that. Go figure.

Oh, the thing they knew, buy didn't seem to understand? He was born in 1980.

JohnK
January 7, 2003, 11:23 AM
Met a guy once (read dope ) who could hit a quarter 9 out of 10 times at 1000 yards, offhand !

I'm sure he also claimed to do it with iron sights. :)

dinosaur
January 7, 2003, 11:56 AM
I can find any Oreo Cookies within a thousand yards of me, even if they`re wrapped in plastic! :p And, I can eat them all! So there! :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Pseudo-Gun Buffs are annoying" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!