good turkey gun?

PDA

BigFatKen
January 4, 2007, 09:00 PM
The Mossberg ssi has a 3.5" mag gun. I can get one that is 24" bbl, ported, extra full choke and built in Weaver mount for $225.

This seems too cheap. Are they any good?

If you enjoyed reading about "good turkey gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joebogey
January 5, 2007, 01:10 AM
Mossberg makes a fine shotgun for the money.
I own two of them. One is a New Haven 12 guage, and the other is the 500 in camo that I use for turkey hunting.
Personally,I think the 3.5 is overkill. I just don't like to be pounded that much when I shoot. You can pickup shells in the 3", loaded heavy for turkey if you like.

Lennyjoe
January 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
I'd get it at that price. The 3.5 does jar your teeth loose a bit but its not like your taking it out dove hunting.

I use a 3" Ithaca featherweight and the 3" turkey loads kick a bit out of that as well.

Used to have a 3.5" Mossberg 835 but I traded it a while ago.

BigFatKen
January 5, 2007, 11:15 AM
It is really $199.99 here:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/specials.html
but I'll have to pay my local dealer $25.
and exactly here: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html
To view this you must download their 20 MB PDF sales flyer. A lot of bargins.

Lennyjoe
January 6, 2007, 11:55 AM
CDNN sells some good stuff and are pretty easy to deal with. Enjoy!

MCgunner
January 6, 2007, 12:31 PM
I have a Mossy I've duck and goose hunted with for about 15 years with now. It's a well built, well designed gun. The ultimag may be overkill, but you can still shoot 2 3/4 and 3" in it. I've just got a camo model 500 and I gave about that price 15 years ago, so that's a danged good price! I was paying dealer cost! The Camo was extra, though.

The 3.5" shell is pretty useless IMHO. I shoot Federal Tungsten Iron on geese, more effective than a 3.5" steel load. Steel shot, non-toxic regulations in waterfowl hunting is the reason for being for the 3.5" loads, to shoot the big steel F and T shots with an effective shot count in the pattern. The new Federal T/I, Remington heavy shot, bismuth loads, and an ever developing alternative load market make the 3.5" steel obsolete. The federal loads I shoot are expensive, but I don't goose hunt all that often and they're cheaper than the Remington heavy shot. They run a little over $13 a box of ten. I shoot steel on ducks over decoys, works fine out of even a 2 3/4" round and it's a lot cheaper to shoot considering the number of duck hunts I do in a season sometimes. Also, I wind up tossing loads with the "brass" gets rusty, not something I want to do routinely with the expensive stuff. The salt marsh is tough on ammo as well as the gun. My Mossy camo still looks good, though. :D That's one tough gun!

If you enjoyed reading about "good turkey gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!