XD .45 Problems!!!!!!! Help, please

PDA

defjon
January 4, 2007, 09:23 PM
Well, I just spent twenty dollars under five hundred big ones for this pistol that has been getting such rave reviews all over the place. Imagine my incredible anger in the fact that I believe this brand new pistol has problems.

Now, I haven't shot it yet as I just picked it up today at two, but believe me I will very shortly.

I own several other pistols. Just as a general test and to get a feel for the slide and such, I usually load up a magazine and chamber a round, eject, chamber, etc until the mag is empty and the slide locks back.

My NEW XD-45 is unable to feed and chamber bullets to any degree of reliability. Is this a broken extractor or something?? I'll be pulling the slide back again and again and the bullet will just be sitting there in the chamber! Then eventually it will eject the shell---- only, two bullets come spitting out instead of one!!

I don't know what to say...right now I'm hugely disappointed. I am still going to try taking it out and shooting it first but it if it can't feed and chamber just from the mag does that mean it'll have problems on the range??

If you enjoyed reading about "XD .45 Problems!!!!!!! Help, please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Don Lu
January 4, 2007, 09:35 PM
I was just concidering making that my next purchase, Ill have to see what comes up in here....:confused:

gazpacho
January 4, 2007, 09:46 PM
Compact or standard?

Have you field stripped the weapon yet? Find any broken edges?

Does the magazine properly seat?
Does the slide stop work properly?
Is the extractor firm or does it wiggle?
What kind of ammo are you using?
Have you tried to see if FMJ will even work?

waumo
January 4, 2007, 09:50 PM
If I thought it had a serious problem, I would NOT fire it and instead return
it for a replacement.

You could always field strip it and look for an obvious problem.

I have an XD45 and have not experienced any such problem.

Mine will NOT function with 200 Gr SWC bullets but I didn't expect it to, it is
not a target pistol.

defjon
January 4, 2007, 09:50 PM
Okay, it came with two magazines and I bought a third :mad:

The problems persist with EVERY mag.

Tried WWB FMJ and also WWB HPs...problems persist.

I am TRYING to disassemble it. The disassembly lever will rotate to 12o'clock as per the instruction book, but the slide release lever doesn't "push up" ...is it supposed to? On no other semi auto I've ever shot does it push up, so I don't know. I just can't get the damn thing apart...I can't believe it!

defjon
January 4, 2007, 09:55 PM
Oh, its standard model

Texfire
January 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
If you have tried all this then it's possible that your XD has issues. After all, no gun is perfect or immune to issues. The possibility that your XD might be one of the rare ones is little solace, however don't give up yet. It does sound like you have a chamber or extractor problem given your description. Try cleaning the chamber and extractor, making sure that nothing is lodged in either that might impair function. Worse case senario, you might have to send your gun back to Springfield, but they have a very good reputation for customer service.

I don't have the gun right in front of me, but IIRC for diassembly you lock back the slide, drop the mag, visually check the chamber to make sure it's empty, and rotate the takedown lever up 90 degrees. Next you pull back the slide to release the slide lock and let it go back into battery. When the slide is approximately in battery, it won't be exact, you pull the trigger to release the striker, hence the need for the visual check and mag drop. After you have released the striker the slide should slide off the front of the frame without trouble. Remove the recoil spring and you can remove the barrel, this is field stripped.

My XD45 Compact has been entirely trouble-free, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. You might also try the XD talk forums (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/index.php) to see if anyone there has any ideas.

Tex

History Prof
January 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
Once you have the release lever at 12, push down on the slide release. The pistol will go into battery. Then pull the trigger to release the slide from the frame.

ETA: With the problem you describe, I also would not take it to the range. Take it to the gunshop where you bought it.

Don Lu - 99.9% of XD owners would tell you to go ahead and buy. Every product has a lemon or two, but SA is really good with repairing the problem children....

gudel
January 4, 2007, 10:04 PM
If I can't chamber a round reliably, I'd send it back. Hell you'll have this problem chambering at the range! Obviously you can't shoot it if you can't even chamber one.

walking arsenal
January 4, 2007, 10:14 PM
Wait, I think i see whats going on here.

When you release the slide, how hard are you letting it go forward?

It seems to me that from what you describe you arent letting extractor get enough force to get a grip on the case rim.

When you pull it back the round stays put so you fiddle with the slide and bring the next round up out of the mag by accident.

The second round pops out with the first when you turn it over and give it a shake to get the first round out.

Close? Correct?

defjon
January 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I thought I might be doing that at first too. So I pulled the slide back quickly and firmly, and as far as it would go rearward, and then just let the whole slide release itself, full force.

The issues STILL persisted. I agree with the above poster...from what I've seen of semi-autos, if it won't chamber a round now it sure as hell won't chamber one when shot. AND, the thing will NOT disassemble...

I read the description for disassembly above and that is exactly what I'm doing :banghead:

I guess I'll have to take it back to Farm King and see what they can do...

SolaScriptura139
January 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry that you are having a problem with your XD. I agree with the others on how to proceed. I of yet have had zero problems with my XD-9, but have only put 300 rounds through it. I would always recommend an XD to anyone, as long as it fits their hand.

Kruzr
January 4, 2007, 10:31 PM
Why not try shooting it to see if it's got a problem or not. Sometimes hand cycling doesn't duplicate the action of the pistol under real firing conditions.

Use ball ammo, many XD's don't like SWC's.

defjon
January 4, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm a little concerned about shooting it if there are some real internal problems...but other than that, the thing won't field strip :banghead:

browningguy
January 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
After you pull the trigger you have to use a little force to get the slide off the front end, it won't just fall off. At least on my XD9 Tactical.

treebeard
January 4, 2007, 11:46 PM
Send it back or take it back. Don't dilly dally with it. Mine functioned right out of the box and it's still 100% reliable.

lee n. field
January 5, 2007, 09:58 AM
am TRYING to disassemble it. The disassembly lever will rotate to 12o'clock as per the instruction book, but the slide release lever doesn't "push up" ...is it supposed to? On no other semi auto I've ever shot does it push up, so I don't know. I just can't get the damn thing apart...I can't believe it!

Drop the magazine, rack and latch the slide. Push up the front end of the disassembly lever until it rotates up 90 degrees, til it's pointing up. Lower the slide release, ease the slide forward to it's normal rest position. Pull the trigger (needless to say, you've already checked that the gun is unloaded) to release the sear. Release the trigger. You should now be able to pull the slide forward off the frame.

And call Springfield.

Walkalong
January 5, 2007, 12:58 PM
Send it back.

XDKingslayer
January 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
You said the first round isn't extracting. How did you feed that first round? Did you feed it from the magazine or did you set it in the chamber by hand, then drop the slide on it?

lee n. field
January 5, 2007, 05:35 PM
or did you set it (the cartridge) in the chamber by hand, then drop the slide on it?

I haven't seen that written up, but I'm guessing that's a no-no with the XD's extractor?

Then eventually it will eject the shell---- only, two bullets come spitting out instead of one!!

Kinda wonder what's going on with this, too.

tango3065
January 5, 2007, 05:45 PM
Send it back I am sure they will make it right, A guy at the range had the exact same problem with his XD last week.

ElPasoWrangler
January 5, 2007, 06:49 PM
I wonder if you read the manual since you seem to not be able to field strip the gun. I have bought two of yhe XD 45 Service guns and they both work great. In fact over the Christmas holidays I took my son (one is his) and his gf to the range. At 5'2" and 110 she loved it and said she liked the way it felt in her hand. I am sure her ability to hit the target was enhanced by the fact it felt good to her. I have seen nothing but raves by those who bought one until now except a few 1911 bigots. If you really have problems send it to Springfield. It has a lifetime warrantee.

BryanP
January 5, 2007, 06:53 PM
While my XD45 has been a flawless performer for me, I don't know of a single manufacturer of ANYTHING that hasn't let the occasional lemon slip past QC. You may have found one.

Take it back where you bought it and have them check it out. Or call SA and see what they have to say.

defjon
January 5, 2007, 06:56 PM
It really is a mess at this point. Even if I took it in today it wouldn't go out until monday. So I am sending it back to Springfield on Mon. Til then I continue to show it to my gun savvy friends. One of them has an XD-9 SC (he loves it btw). Nobody can figure out what would be causing its failure to diassemble...but the rest we're thinking has to be some kind of extraction problem...

I don't know.

Anyway, I bought 350 rounds of .45 and another 13 rd XD mag for it while I was waiting my 3 days, so I don't want to give up on the platform. Feels GREAT in the hand. I am sure Springfield will make it right, and I don't believe it'll cost me anything to send it back (I'd hope!).

I'll keep you guys updated...thanks for all the help and suggestions, too. It's going back Mon. This is the first gun I've ever had to send back---- do I include the box and mags and XD gear and crap, or just send in the gun, no mags?

GlenJ
January 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
I just read a review in Combat Handguns of the XD Service 45 GAP. They had a trigger return spring break and a few stoppages. For the money I would return it unfired and get a GLOCK.

Walkalong
January 5, 2007, 07:09 PM
So I am sending it back to Springfield on Mon

Smart man. Good move. You will be very happy with it when it returns. My EMP is at Springfield and I am looking forward to its return. It is a sweet pistol. I really like my XD .45 also, but 1911's is my first love.

Redneck with a 40
January 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
If you haven't fired the gun yet, send it back to Springfield, they should replace it free of charge or fix the one you have. They do carry a lifetime warranty.

Jim_M
January 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
This is all very odd. Manually cycling a semi-auto with live ammo is not an end all test. Nor (no offense) that smart of one with the striker installed.Your gun has been test fired. Your new XD case should include the actual test target from Springfield, along with all the other goodies. This just does not play out for me. It's like rocking a '67 Camero back and forth in the garage and guessing she'll never make 90 mph. It's a machine. You got to turn it on to make it run. Please by all means have an experienced XD'er go over this gun closely and range test it.

All will be good...and joy will return:)

Jim

browningguy
January 5, 2007, 08:45 PM
I just read a review in Combat Handguns of the XD Service 45 GAP. They had a trigger return spring break and a few stoppages. For the money I would return it unfired and get a GLOCK.

What a good joke, and it's not even April 1 yet.

I also read a test where the writer loaned one to a couple of guys in the AMU, they put something like 3,000 rounds through a new gun with 0 malfunctions in a couple of days.

Does that mean I should go buy two of them?

My 9mm Tactical has been perfect the two times I have shot it. The day after I bought it and then 2 days later in an IDPA club shoot. Not a long term test, but it ran really smoothly through the stages. Of course I field stripped it, cleaned, and lubed everything properly before shooting it.

gudel
January 5, 2007, 08:56 PM
so if you can't even chamber the first round, do they even test this at factory before it went out?

gbran
January 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
I hate to be the one to say this, but you probably should have just bought a Glock.

tango3065
January 5, 2007, 09:08 PM
I hate to be the one to say this, but you probably should have just bought a Glock.

;)

salvador31c
January 5, 2007, 09:13 PM
Haha yet another funny guy, i used to have a GLOCK 30 loved it but sold it due to money problems, but will probley get another. I now own a XD-9sc i love and will keep it. I see nothing different in quality between these two companys some guns have problems some dont but both companys will make things right so whats the difference? not thing other than personal prefrence of course :) good thing on sending it back you'll love it once you get to shoot it:)

Cloudpeak
January 5, 2007, 09:35 PM
You could always go to: http://www.xdtalk.com/ and ask them. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks over there.

Cloudpeak

browningguy
January 5, 2007, 11:10 PM
And yes, they ship every one with a fired case in the box.

I personally only know of one H&K that was bad when new, it was one of early USP's, 9mm as I recall. It went click but would not fire a round. Sent back, repaired, and as far as I know working to this day.

EVERY MECHANICAL DEVICE ON THE PLANET WILL AND HAS FAILED. Why won't people learn this very simple fact. Every manufacturer of firearms has had guns fail new out of the box, and it will continue to be that way because they are mechanical devices.

To some hands the XD is far superior to a Glock, personally I have no idea why anyone would want to shoot a Glock. And if one problem with a pistol makes it unacceptable for use why would anyone own a Glock? We know that "all" the Glock .40's blow up, wouldn't that mean the design is faulty with the one failure applie to the whole product line logic?

gravelyctry
January 6, 2007, 10:55 AM
I just got rid of my XD. I fied several thousand rounds through it with round nose FMJ bullets without a single problem. Then I loaded up some rounds to use SWC for a bullseye league I'm in, and they wouldn't feed at all. So I decided to try some hollow points (jacketed.), and they wouldn't feed at all. Almost every one of the shells would get hung up on the XD's feed ramp.
You didn't mention what type of bullet you were trying to load. If it's round nose and you have problems, you need to send it back. Good luck.

Redhat
January 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
XD's shoot factory HP's just fine. Have heard they don't like SWC though.

Cloudpeak
January 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
I've shot around 3,000 rounds of lead, SWC (mainly, Lee tumble lube design, 175 gr.) through my XD40SC with no problem. The only problem I had with the gun was one mag I'd dropped on the ground and bent the feed lips. Straightened them out and everything worked fine after that.

Cloudpeak

Avenger
January 6, 2007, 06:23 PM
I believe you have to ship it back with everything it came with.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD .45 Problems!!!!!!! Help, please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!