Win USA .223 Varmint Value Pack Opinions

PDA

Redlg155
May 29, 2003, 01:16 AM
I'll have my newest completed project ready to go early next week and come Wednesday I'll be off to the range. This stuff seems reasonably priced for coyote medicine and plinking.

I'll probably just use the cheaper FMJ stuff for initial barrel break in.

Anyone use this stuff in their varmint rigs?

Good Shooting
Red

If you enjoyed reading about "Win USA .223 Varmint Value Pack Opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swingset
May 29, 2003, 01:41 AM
The 45gr hollow point shoots decent in my AR, which has a 1:12 twist. Not hyper accurate, but certainly good enough for killing a varmint.

I've shot the 62gr fmj in my Sav. 12fv with a 1:9 twist and it's not bad either.

Both average 1" groups, which is acceptable.

Shalako
May 29, 2003, 03:09 PM
They shoot real well in my Savage 12fv. In my first outing with this rifle, last weekend, I got a .388" group at 100y with the 45gr Win Varmint Value Pack loads. The UMC 55gr FMJ only shot about 1.25".

I think I will buy as many of the value packs as I can find.

Do you think they are heavy enough for coyote? I have no experience there.

4Truck
May 29, 2003, 10:29 PM
I have used it extensively in my Armalite, and it seems to hold about 1" groups at 100 yards, not bad for the price. I actually just recieved a case of Silver Bear 62gr hollow points from AIM surplus so I will let you know how it shoots....

Redlg155
May 29, 2003, 11:11 PM
4Truck,

I'd be interested in the report with the Silver Bear in your Armalite.

I did a search over at AR15.com and it seems that a lot of folks are pretty satisfied with the stuff. I think the main gripe with Wolff was the laquer coating rather than the steel casings. Olyarms even goes so far as to say using Wolff will void the warranty, although it doesn't specifically mention then name.

So..I'm wondering if the steel casings will be hard on the extractor or damgaging to the brass deflector on the A2?

Good Shooting
Red

4Truck
May 29, 2003, 11:29 PM
Red,

I am going out on Saturday to put some of it down range, I too looked over at ar15.com and the general consensus was good, which is why I bought it. Either way we'll see what happens, I will definitely post a report.

swingset
May 30, 2003, 03:11 AM
They shoot real well in my Savage 12fv. In my first outing with this rifle, last weekend, I got a .388" group at 100y with the 45gr Win Varmint Value Pack loads.

Not calling you a liar, but is your 12fv a 1:9 twist? If so, I find it very improbable that you're getting any kind of accuracy with a 45gr bullet, that's way light to group well, and being hollow point you'd be lucky if the rounds didn't fall apart mid flight.

I haven't shot a 1:9 or 1:7 twist gun that didn't prefer heavier bullets, and most wouldn't tolerate anything light like that.

Shalako
June 2, 2003, 02:19 PM
I'll consider myself lucky. Guys over at varminthunters.com have gotten similar results as mine. What can I say.....

EchoSixMike
June 2, 2003, 08:50 PM
That's funny, my 26" barreled 1:7.7 spacegun shoots 40gn V-max into .4" at 3600fps(puppy load). S/F...Ken M

Skunkabilly
June 2, 2003, 09:02 PM
How much is this stuff? I don't have a .223 yet and haven't seen it. Is it a Walmart thing?

Shalako
June 2, 2003, 10:01 PM
Wal-Mart indeed. It goes for roughly $11.97 for 40 rounds.
So far at 100yds its been working well on paper. No keyholing or anything. I'd love to try it at 200 or 300yds and see what happens. Much further than that and the .308 takes over.

I like the whole idea of these rounds though; light, fast, explosive, accurate and cheap! My kinda fun...

If you enjoyed reading about "Win USA .223 Varmint Value Pack Opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!