Minnesota guys...callin' you out.

PDA

bear71
January 4, 2007, 09:47 PM
Where do you guys like to browse firearms?

Gunstop is a pretty good one, just heard Reeds in Walker is a great place for firearms, and my secret weapon, just across the border in Wisconsin, Prescott, H&H Guns and Art Gallery has a huge selection of long arms and a few pistols.

Any shops you are favoring, any that are too high priced in your opinion?

What's your favorite gun show to attend, Fairgrounds, DECC, Convention Center???

If you enjoyed reading about "Minnesota guys...callin' you out." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
walking arsenal
January 4, 2007, 10:17 PM
Decc? Heck no. The cloquet gunshow thats held at their armory beats the Deccs hands down.

Superior shooters supply is my go to gunshop. So much even that i drive from bemidji now to get there.

Also, Alamo guns and pawn in cloquet is a neat little shop. They have a lot of hard to find bits and pieces and they like to haggle.

WA

bear71
January 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
Going to school in Bemidji?

Superior is an awesome shop, all the goodies and well stocked, the last time I was in there I almost bought a Mini 30, but didn't, they did have a couple old Colt stamped AR mags for me though.

Surely you stop by the The Anchor Bar for burgers when you're going to Superior Shooting Supply.

Alamo is a neat pawn/gun shop, the last time I was in there they tried to sell me an AK pistol of all things! All kinds of cool magazines used and new on the north wall and they're kid friendly there. My little rugrat was all over the video tapes and they didn't seem to mind me opening the hatch in the parking area to change a diaper. It's easy to find but is tucked away from the main drag by half a block on a steep grade.

phorvick
January 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
In the big box stores, it really is hard to beat Sportsman's Warehouse. Gander tends to be high on the new guns, but you can find a used deal at times. Streicher's in Plymouth often has excellend deals on used police trade-ins (I just got a Glock 17, with night sights and two mags...$300). My experience at Cabela's is that they are pricey.

Outside of the metro I suspect many communities have their local favorite small dealers. In the near Alexandria area, Jerry Pommerenke (the Carry Depot... http://carrydepot.com ) is superb on service and price. Nice guy too!

Gbro
January 4, 2007, 11:04 PM
We lost Soup-to-Nuts Gun shop in Grand Rapids in early July. My flag is still a half mast. a fire in an upstairs apartment took them out.
Nice little shop in Calumet, the old bank building. (Snowball Mountain Gun Shop).
Hey Duluth, Is Paglisi still open? I have been trying to get on their web site and its been down.
Glens in Grand Rapids has some, but they are a Mil-Surp, with very little Surp. Nice store, Sure beats Wally-world.
Northwest Bait(I think) next door to galigers restraunt in duluth is a dandy place. Go their for my BP goodies.

Gbro

bear71
January 4, 2007, 11:10 PM
Hi phorvick,

Agree with you on Sportsmans W-house, darn good prices new, I'm really close to the Andover store, imagining the St. Cloud location is closer to you.

I've found the negotiating at Gander tougher than Cabela's though both mark 'em up pretty good and give you a little wiggle room. Gander will throw in the $20 service plan on the house if you ask very nicely and have a good guy at the counter. My last purchase was one of the P225s recently imported and now offered bulk by Gander, the price tags say $469 but as of two days ago they were still ringing at $399.00.

yorick
January 4, 2007, 11:13 PM
gunstop rocks :cool:

bear71
January 4, 2007, 11:22 PM
gbro,

My condolences on Soup to Nuts, good people up there and I snatched a Spartan 1994 graduate and made her my wife! A Bluestreak had to come all the way to the city to meet her though.

I got all pumped up for a visit to StN about three months ago, found it closed and had the Glens Army Navy guys tell me she had burned.

Dale Worth is a cool guy, one of the better shops in the entire state much less in Calumet of all places! Dale's got great prices but tells me you guys on the range aren't doing much buying.

How about the "supervision" at Glens? Do you find it akward?

bear71
January 4, 2007, 11:24 PM
"gunstop rocks"

Yep, Larry kicks some major arse, Howard's a way better negotiater than I am, I still love him though! LOL!

repsychler
January 5, 2007, 10:10 AM
I moved out of Minnesota 2 years ago, but I have to put my vote in for the Oasis Sport Shop in Pequot Lakes. When you find yourself in the Brainerd area, do yourself a favor and stop there. Best gun shop I've ever dealt with, by far.

dleong
January 5, 2007, 10:23 AM
I live pretty close to the Gander Mountain store in Lakeville, and do drop by there every now and then to browse their selection of firearms. Yes, their prices are high, but they do occasionally have decent specials, and I've purchased a number of guns from them.

More often than not, I'll go there to "sample" a particular firearm that I'm interested in acquiring, and then order it online. :D

As for gunshows, I normally make it a point to go to the ones organized by the MWCA, mainly to purchase reloading supplies.

Big_R
January 5, 2007, 11:18 AM
I agree with Sportsmans warehouse, nothign but good experiences with the stores in Coon Rapids and St. Cloud.

For private stores, I really like Little Crow Sports in Hutchinson (off of highway 15 North), the Gunstop, and I've heard good things about the Wolfs Den in Hugo too. If I need something fixed, it goes to Habisch Outdoor which is a little South of Winsted. Best gunsmith in central MN.

Gun show wise, most towns of medium size have a show at one time or anothher. Usually things are priced ridiculously high, arbitration is encouraged, and you can still find deals. I picked up a Weaver K2.5-60b with a post and reticle crosshair for cheap from a very friendly fellow at the Willmar show. It came along with a good story too.

Ryan

Father Knows Best
January 5, 2007, 11:35 AM
I haven't lived here long enough to check out many places, but I'm already in love with the Gun Stop. The selection of used guns is great, and the prices are incredibly reasonable. I recently picked up a Browning BL-22 in excellent condition with a scope for $259, and an Armalite AR-50 like new with soft case and scope for $1695. The only problem I have now is that my credit card is gonna melt if I go over there any more.

Gun Stop also houses the best reloading supplies store I have ever seen. I love the fact that no matter what bullet or brass or powder or dies or Dillon conversion I need, I can make a quick run to Gun Stop and be loading with it in an hour.

Finally, Larry and Howard are just class guys. They are friendly and knowledgable. I'm so used to gun shop workers being rude and obnoxious that I'm still not sure Larry and Howard are for real.

MrDig
January 5, 2007, 01:08 PM
Oasis Closed, and I have a few that I browse regularily. Although you have to Browse for some time to find deals at either of the Bill's Locations, Sportsmans Whse, and the Frontiersman. Metro Pawn and Gun is one that I find good deals at very regularily. Honest prices on used guns, fair prices on NIB
Places that I go to and leave my wallet in the car because I know the are too infrequent are Gander, Cabela's. These stores seem to think that their firearms are worth their weight in gold.
I was recently at Gunstop for the first time and was very impressed with A: the selection, B: the prices, and C: the guy behind the counter.
Add On: Also found a few nice buys at the Gun Show at Canterbury Park, Not so much from the MWCA shows.

jem375
January 5, 2007, 01:11 PM
I've found my best buys with the Hart bros tables at gun shows and also at their shop in Albert Lea. They usually have the best prices at gun shows and their website lists all the guns they have in stock, and if you call them before the gun show they will bring the guns you want to look at to the show...and if you are thinking ar15's, then DPMS gives the best deals, period.....

walking arsenal
January 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
Bear

I used to work at alamos. Did that for about half a year.

Going to school here in Bemidji yes, but i also live here.

Nice place.

Winter not so much this year, no snow.

Regarding soup to nuts. So thats what happened to them! I used to stop in there all the time on my drive between here and duluth. Too bad, they always had neat stuff.

Richmond
January 5, 2007, 03:13 PM
Down in the southeast corner of the state, Mainstream in Winona is a fine small town shop.

bear71
January 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
"Gun Stop also houses the best reloading supplies store I have ever seen. I love the fact that no matter what bullet or brass or powder or dies or Dillon conversion I need, I can make a quick run to Gun Stop and be loading with it in an hour."

That's right Father.

That's John that operates the supplies section of the store. He's got quite a nice and deep collection of books to buy and read too, doesn't he. Hundreds of new titles and tons of model specific books, if you're looking for a specific book that is currently in print he probably has it.

I think it's cool to have "seperate" shops in the main shop, John handles the supplies and Howard and Larry sell the guns, opens up time for each department to really give you the attention deserving of your hard earned cash.

By example, I purchased a French MAS 49/56 rifle re-chambered for the .308 for $199.00 after Larry threw me $10 off complaining he didn't have much room. I stopped by a couple other places in the next month and looked on the net immediately after bringing it home and discovered they're going from $350 to $400!

bear71
January 5, 2007, 03:26 PM
Hey Richmond,

Mainstream is a real nice shop, lot's of pistols for a town the size of Winona.

Mainstream has a main street address but sits back off the main about a 100 feet, I drove by five times before realizing it was tucked away off the main. LOL!

Nice guys in there and how about those skitter craft air power motors for river running, my wife couldn't care less about the guns but had to have the breakdown of what those odd things were before we could leave the store, they complied.

Pretty good prices in Winona, fellas.

There is a small shop in the north side of the town too.

Wwalstrom
January 5, 2007, 03:34 PM
Little Crow Shooting Sports

B&J Trapline Outfitters

halvey
January 11, 2007, 02:01 PM
There is a small shop in the north side of the town too. Where? I get down there from time to time.

repsychler
January 11, 2007, 02:08 PM
Oasis in Pequot closed? When did that happen?

Richmond
January 11, 2007, 02:31 PM
The north end shop is Lone Pine Gun Shop, which is actually located in Goodview at 4045 West 6th Street, the municipality located on the North end of Winona. I have not been there for several years - Mainstream is on the next block from my office in downtown Winona. :)

Bear - yeah, those boat are wild! Mainstream sells the go-devil mud motors and jon boats, duck boats, etc.

MrDig
January 11, 2007, 03:10 PM
The sporting goods store Oasis closed some time ago, the convenience store is still open. Unless the owners found somebody to run the sporting goods part of the operation. What I heard during the G.O.B. Sale was all of the stores took too much time away from the family.
The store on the north side of the metro is on hwy 10 near the Tech College. I won't name it for a variety of reasons.

repsychler
January 11, 2007, 03:56 PM
OK...I remember them closing down the section that was attached to the convenience store. It reopened not too much later in a separate building right next to the old location, bigger and better. Expanded fishing and camping gear and more guns, still great service. Not sure who exactly is running it, but the kept the name and the good service.

Am I the only person thats had crappy experiences with Gun Stop?

bear71
January 11, 2007, 04:52 PM
"Am I the only person thats had crappy experiences with Gun Stop?"

rep -

Can you give some details of your experiences?

Aside from Howard occassionally giving more attention to his dog than customers, I've never had much problems.

akodo
January 11, 2007, 08:26 PM
http://www.ahlmans.com/ especially if you get out toward owatana to hit cabelas, swing by ahlman's, they have a real fun shooting fest every year, and the owner is a skilled gunsmith specializing in cowboy action shooting

the frontiersman is a decent shop, prices a bit higher than most places, but has a decent selection of milsurp.

I tend to steer clear of bills gun show for price reasons, they tend to be high. Also, they seem to have good knowledge of handguns and home defense type weapons, but your average hunting shotgun or bolt rifle, they can be lacking.

burnsville pistol range is the best, most economical gun range in the area

ReadyontheRight
January 11, 2007, 09:08 PM
I concur -- Gunstop in Minnetonka.

P0832177
January 12, 2007, 01:50 AM
There are a lot of nice places.
Gunstop flat is the best in MN prices, trading, and reloading supplies is second to none!
Little Crow in Hutch used to blow out Bushmasters a while back,; the just had the best prices.......
Ahlmans is neat place to go to....
The Frontiersman has a nice selection and staff.
Bill's aside from the ranges, I would not buy stuff there. Sure like their spring and fall shooters shows! J&S well they are way over priced, but they have their customer base. Hart Bros. is good for selection and service.

The chains well Sportsmans Warehouse sure does have a good selection of stuff and sell EBR's. Scheels sure has some nice selections and prices to go with but has selective policies. Cabelas for reloading supplies they are best by mail order...., but they sure have a selection. Of course their ever present CC deals are enticing. Gander well gotta give them credit for getting new format stores, and their foray into EBR's. Dicks well, ever since they bought out Galyans.....

ReadyontheRight
January 12, 2007, 02:02 AM
I really like the organization of guns, the staff and the great mix of shotguns at the Frontiersman. In general, their prices are higher, but I've seen a good deal there once in a while - 10% off used pump shotguns right now (or if it just ended, ask about it).

They alway have a lot of nice Wingmasters in the $200-$250 range - they probably hit a lot of estate sales. They also seem to always have some very nice used Ruger #1s that are right around $500 - a good price, but always outside of my budget.

ReadyontheRight
January 12, 2007, 02:04 AM
I really miss Galyan's.

If they had sold beer, I don't think I would have ever had to enter another store.

repsychler
January 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
Can you give some details of your experiences?

Aside from Howard occassionally giving more attention to his dog than customers, I've never had much problems.

Here's what I wrote about my experience with them a while back:

I went in because so many had praised them, looking for a P3-AT. They were quite busy so I really didn't think much of it when it took them several minutes to get to me. I asked if they had any P3-ATs, and I was shown the display case that contained it, and the clerk ran off. Since I was just looking to verify they had one, this wasn't a big deal, but a day ot two later I came back with a pocket full of cash and a burning desire to spend it.
Unlike before, the place was quiet. There were 2 guys working there, and one customer that was just there for chatter and donuts. I walked in and was ignored for several minutes while they chatted about random stuff and milled around behind the counter. When my presence was finally acknowledged, I told him I'm going to buy that P3-AT right there. No tire kicking, no haggling, I got some dead presidents and I wanna trade 'em for that gun. After 5 more minutes of milling around and BS'ing, one of them finally said "well I guess you better fill out the form."
It wasn't until I started counting out the greenbacks that I got anything even remotely resembling service.
I wasn't rude and I don't look like a scumbag. (Heck I was on my lunch break, so I was in business casual) So I don't know why my experience was so different from everyone else's.

That said, they were the only shop I found that had a P3-AT and the price was fair. (Which is the only reason I didn't walk out)

jon_in_wv
January 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
I haven't bought a gun at Ahlman's but they did fix a Bersa of mine and the service was really good. They also have a great selection of handguns and rifles. The staff there have always bee patient and courteous and the seemed knowledgeable. They also have a huge selection of ammo and CCW holsters. They rank pretty well among the shops I've been in. If I was still a MN resident I would still definetely shop there.

Benelli_Bbl
April 6, 2007, 12:34 PM
I've been to Glen's in Grand Rapids a few time. They have changed a manager or two their and are much more relaxed than they used to be. Great selection and knowledge. Reeds has good prices, but they don't 1) Care about you if you don't show money/haven't bought something there before. 2) Only a couple employees know squat about their products.

skypirate7
April 6, 2007, 12:42 PM
I might be moving to MN. How's the gun rights/gun laws there? I'm from Florida and we're very pro-gun down here. :cool:

Benelli_Bbl
April 6, 2007, 12:46 PM
MN is about the same as Fla. Need a permit to purchase or carry, use NICS with no waiting period. Most people in MN are used to guns being a part of their lives and aren't to concerned with them.

MrDig
April 6, 2007, 12:48 PM
Pirate,
The gunlaws are pretty fair, IMO but could use some changes. We are now a Shall Issue for CCW and are working on getting Castle Doctrin passed. The City of Minneapolis is VERY Anti-Gun as are some of the other Larger Cities.
Good Hunting and Fishing almost anywhere, practically right out your back door.

GaryL
April 6, 2007, 02:50 PM
I like Wolf's Den. I often get bullets from them at one of the shows. I've only been to their store twice though.

Add On: Also found a few nice buys at the Gun Show at Canterbury Park, Not so much from the MWCA shows.I didn't know they had a regular show scheduled. When is it?

It wasn't until I started counting out the greenbacks that I got anything even remotely resembling service.
I wasn't rude and I don't look like a scumbag. (Heck I was on my lunch break, so I was in business casual) So I don't know why my experience was so different from everyone else's.They can be kind of funny sometimes. They have regulars that hang out a lot and sometimes help out behind the counter. Depending on when you show up, there can be a few guys BSing, and it can get a little deep. There's very much an "in" crowd that hangs out there, but they are good guys. I do get reloading supplies from there from time to time, and they can be very helpful, but they can also kid around a bit.

Havegunjoe
April 6, 2007, 04:23 PM
"might be moving to MN. How's the gun rights/gun laws there? I'm from Florida and we're very pro-gun down here.

Open carry is allowed, not that I advocate it, but you don't have to worry about breaking the law if your coat blows open in the wind exposing your gun. You can carry in a bar just to name a couple examples.

If you are in the Twin Cities area give me a call, I would be glad to go over the details of getting a permit with you.

pete f
April 6, 2007, 04:58 PM
Al's in WBL is a pretty good place, real small but loaded with quality guns. he does not sell much crap and he prices things to move not be a shelf weight.

Al has some really cool personal collections that from time to time will be shown.

Nit pics, Al hates cell phones in his shop, because everybody else shuts up to let the guy talk, killing business. If you get a call, step out side or just let it go. If have seen him go half postal on guys who spend 10 minutes on the cell phone in his shop.

Ahlmans is a great place. really cool stuff, better staff too.

At cabela's remember all prices are just opening bids, I often buy used there for less that 2/3 of asking. Both Rodgers and Owatonna.

Howard at gunstop or Larry seem to just float around somedays, its not that they are rude by choice, but they can be a bit at times,

One place not mentioned is Muzzleloaders. Jim is pretty good guy and although i have not been there for a year, he often has some really good deals on very collectable or old school guns. Last gun I bought there was a Inglis Hi Power, with many GI mags, a case and a extra pair of grips for 450. For the condition that was a steal.

There is a gun shop in Pine City that is pretty good too, I bought a Ruger .257 Bob from them for a very good price with a "OK" Nikon scope on it. The kid behind the counter was very fair, knowledgeable and more than willing to show me lots of things while i decided on the .257.

MrDig
April 6, 2007, 05:30 PM
They haven't had one at Caterburry in years and I didn't realize that it moved to the Collesium @ the Fair Grounds.

mnrivrat
April 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
One of my favorite shops is Hunters Den in rural Springfield. They are about to move to New Ulm in July and will be opening an indoor pistol range there later in the year. (one of only a few in the state)

Look for them on Hwy 14 just down from the new super Wal-Mart. In the mean time they will remain open in their old location ( look for their web site for location )

Tell Dave I said hello !

goalie
April 6, 2007, 08:32 PM
I personally like Gunstop in Minnetonka. The lack of service is just "ambiance."

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Minnesota guys...callin' you out." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!