Magazine question

PDA

LkWinnipesaukee
January 4, 2007, 10:08 PM
I cant seat a magazine in my AR when the bolt is closed. Is this normal?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
QuarterBoreGunner
January 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
Short version: No.

Long version: Do you mean that when you have a fully loaded magazine you cannot seat it fully to have the magazine catch engage?

MechAg94
January 4, 2007, 10:27 PM
Have you given it a hard slap? Just asking since you didn't say.

I have some mags that are hard to seat especially with full load and closed bolt, but they will all seat with a stiff pop to the mag.

What brand mags are these? Where did you get them? What are the markings on the bottom?

possum
January 5, 2007, 12:00 AM
load 28 or 29 rds and then give it a try, not a full magazine.

ForeverArmed
January 5, 2007, 01:11 AM
You should be able to insert a fully-loaded mag completely with the bolt closed (though needing to give it some effort is acceptable).

Is this a problem you're having with ALL of your mags, or just a certain type, or just a particular mag?

LkWinnipesaukee
January 7, 2007, 03:35 AM
I've only got 2 mags right now. Ones a metal (Bushmaster factory) one loaded with 30, and ones a plastic one (idk) with 29. I gave both of them a hard slap. Nothing.

ForeverArmed
January 7, 2007, 04:36 AM
Hmmm...that's strange. It is possible that you just ended up with two out-of-spec mags.

I once had a USGI mag that didn't fit into my Bushmaster lower until I slightly enlarged the hole in the side of the mag body by alternately filing a slight amount of metal off the top of the hole and testing it in the rifle until it fit. But I wouldn't do that until you know the problem is the magazine.

Also, some plastic mags don't fit well in Bushmasters without filing. But let's hold off on that for now.

Are you certain that you haven't put more than 30 rounds into the Bushmaster mag? (I've heard that it can be done, though I haven't tried it.) It might be possible to do it by accident.

Do the mags at least seat correctly when loaded with several fewer rounds or when they're completely empty?

LkWinnipesaukee
January 7, 2007, 05:41 PM
Are you certain that you haven't put more than 30 rounds into the Bushmaster mag? (I've heard that it can be done, though I haven't tried it.) It might be possible to do it by accident.

Absolutely certain. Only 30.

Do the mags at least seat correctly when loaded with several fewer rounds or when they're completely empty?

No. It's the same case.

Again thanks for the help.

TMM
January 7, 2007, 06:17 PM
nevermind

ForeverArmed
January 7, 2007, 06:31 PM

No. It's the same case.Okay. If the mags don't go in even when completely empty, then it's probably one of three things:

(1) Both magazines are defective.

(2) The magazine catch in your lower receiver is out of whack and needs adjustment.

(3) Something in your rifle is out of spec.

If you had more magazines to try, then that would settle the question. If you were planning on buying more AR magazines anyway, now might be a good time to do it so that you can test them out in your rifle and find out for certain if those other two mags are the problem.

If/when you do decide to buy more mags, try to stick with aluminum USGI-type mags. For example, I've had flawless functioning from these in my Bushmaster:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21225

As for the mag catch, I kind of doubt that's the problem, but you might try playing around with it. Do you know how to adjust the tension of the magazine catch? It should be on pages 48 and 49 of the manual that should have come with your rifle, or you can find the manual here (PDF file):

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/manual_bushmaster.pdf

It's pretty easy to adjust the mag catch tension as shown. Try loosening it or tightening it and see if that helps.

If all else fails, you could give Bushmaster a call and tell them that you have two magazines, including one of their 30-rounders, that won't fit in your rifle. They'll probably want you to send the rifle back to them. Their customer service is good, and they'll make things right.

I hope this helps...

LkWinnipesaukee
January 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
Will do. Thanks a lot:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!