Ever see a grown man cry, (300 Savage)

PDA

Okiecruffler
May 29, 2003, 11:58 AM
Went down yesterday to help the folks move a bunch of stuff into storage, they have bought an RV and have decided to do that old person gypsy thing. As I was leaving, dad handed me a rifle case and said, "I thought maybe you could use this for something." I figured, "hey, I can always use a rifle case." but when I took it from him, it was too heavy to be empty. I laid it out on my truck bed and opened it up. And there she was.

My dad's very first deer rifle was a Savage 99G in .300 Savage. He bought it used in 1958. It took more than it's share of mule deer, then whitetail when he moved to Oklahoma. Several people told him that the .300 wasn't powerful enough for elk, but I know of 6 elk that apparently they forgot to tell. Many other rifles have come and gone, but that Savage has always graced his gun cabinet. And now she will grace mine. There are 2 boxes of shells in that case, I wonder if I can ever bring myself to shoot her. Excuse me, I think I have something in my eye.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever see a grown man cry, (300 Savage)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
May 29, 2003, 12:04 PM
I think your dad wants you to shoot it.

Tropical Z
May 29, 2003, 12:49 PM
AWESOME!
Just hearing the story made my day.Use it with respect.

Joe Demko
May 29, 2003, 12:56 PM
The 99 in .300 Savage is the greatest rifle/cartridge combination EVER. It brightened my day to read your story.

Wil Terry
May 29, 2003, 05:04 PM
The only rifle he ever hunted with was a '98 KRAG carbine. I have it now...can't shoot it...get all choked up and can't see the sights.

The SAVAGE 99 is the finest rifle EVER made in America, period! Have three of 'em in the safe, a 300 rifle, a 250-3000 rifle, and a 250-3000 carbine. They will shoot with the best of bolt guns, but of course are a REAL rifle, a levergun.

BigG
May 29, 2003, 05:19 PM
Good luck with your Dad's Savage 99. Great heirloom for your family.

Col Charles Askins spoke very highly of his Model 99 in 250/3000.

Kharn
May 29, 2003, 05:24 PM
OkieCruffler:
Dont forget to check the rifle's birthday with Savage & the ATF C&R list, you might have to log it in your book.

Sadly, my parents have no firearms to pass down to me, but my grandmother still has my grandfather's 1911 and service .38 from when he was a Colonel in the Army. Who gets those two items upon her passing is the biggest family mystery, I dont think she's told anyone what she wants done with them and everyone in the family (except my parents) wants them. I'd love to have either one, but since my grandfather passed before I was born, I probably have little chance of getting one.

Kharn

Okiecruffler
May 29, 2003, 05:51 PM
I haven't looked up her birthday yet, but I know that the last 99G was made in 1941, so she has to go in the book.

So do you think I should shoot it? Where do you think I have been all day.:neener:

sebago
May 29, 2003, 06:31 PM
What a great thing. My Dad didn't have any guns to pass on to me but I inherited a 99G in .300 Sav. from an Uncle. Before him it belonged to my Grandfather. It's the only thing I have of his. My Mother somes years ago gave me a framed picture of my Grandpa standing proudly beside a big buck hanging in his barn door. He's holding that same rifle. The photo is hanging on the wall next to me as I type this. Jeez, the keys are getting blurry.....

goon
May 29, 2003, 06:46 PM
There are two in my family; both 99F's.
My grandfather bought one in 1923, and my dad bought his in the '60s. They are both wonderful guns.
The older one has about 4" more barrel, and it seems to kick more than my dad's.

As a sidenote, my dad tried handloading for his back in the day. He didn't really know what he was doing, but he just tried loading a 150gr PSP and the whole case full of IMR 4320. He filled the case up and tamped the powder with the bullet. The gun didn't blow.
When the 99 locks up, you effectively have a solid block of steel behind the breech.
Hell of a gun and way ahead of its time.
I sort of watch for one in .308. The old 300 can still be found, but it is sort of semi-obsolete.
That is a shame.

P95Carry
May 29, 2003, 06:51 PM
<lump in throat> Okiecruffler

Great!!! That is and will be something to treasure ..... and a 99!!! Well, as an owner of a 99C in .243 I hardly have to work up a sweat raving about the platform ..... In many ways, Savage's best!:)

Enjoy (I know damn well you will!):) :) ;)

JeepDriver
May 29, 2003, 09:35 PM
From a father to a son. Great story.

I personally would shoot a few rounds from it then put it away.

Man that's one hell of a way to hand down a rifle that has so much history.

May be some day , God willing, I can hand my son a rifle.

Thanks for sharing

DAL
May 29, 2003, 10:47 PM
Touching story!

Ever since I was 11 years old (I'm now 43), when I got my first gun, a Glenfield bolt action .22, I have wanted a Model 99. Why? It was depicted on the how-to-clean manual included with my Hoppes gun cleaning kit. One of these days, before I expire, I will acquire one, in what caliber I cannot say.

I saw one for about $200 at a gun show in .300 Savage approx. two years ago. Since, at the time, I knew nothing about the .300 Savage, I let it pass. If I had known then what I know now, I would have grabbed it. Oh well, there will be other gun shows.
DAL

tex_n_cal
May 29, 2003, 11:43 PM
I've owned two Savage 99's, still have one, the other was sold to a friend. Both will shoot under an inch at 100 yards. Neither cost me more than $250.

The cartridge will easily send 150's at 2600 fps, and you can use pointed bullets. Way better than a .30-30. I've taken three deer with the caliber, and the results at 100 yards were indistinguishable from a .270.

I figured it to be a perfect Texas Deer/Turkey rifle - load softpoints for deer, FMJ's for wild turkey. Both would shoot to the same point of aim.

I'd REALLY like to find a .358 :D

BusMaster007
May 30, 2003, 12:19 AM
That is a great thing that happened.
You are very fortunate to have your Dad there to hand it to you!

I received two rifles in the last year that belonged to my Father, and one that belonged to my Step-Dad.
Turns out they both had Winchester 94's in .30-30.
The other is a Marlin/Sears/J.C.Higgins bolt-action .22 that was my Father's.

I had them all cleaned up and my Dad's guns refinished.
My Step-Dad's 94 is a 'pre-64', so I left it in its good condition.

Dang, you got a real treasure, with the biggest part of it having your Dad there.
I'm glad for ya!
:cool:

Gordon
May 30, 2003, 01:03 AM
This story touchs me as I am giving away guns to my 4 son's for Xmas and birthdays. I have a .303 Savage TD from a long deceased uncle who filed a small notch on forearm side for each buck. It now acts like checkering ! I also bought a .308 Savage 95 comemorative in the 80's and have a .358 99 from early 60's. Obviously I like them. I sold my .22 hi power 25 years ago because ammo was too hard to come by.:(

aerod1
May 30, 2003, 11:39 PM
What a great story and that is a wonderful gun to pass down through the generations. I think your Dad realizes that. His grandkids will be proud of that gun as well.
Jim Hall

agentwithrow
May 31, 2003, 02:44 AM
That is the coolest thing, I agree that he probably wants you to shoot it. Great story, great rifle

tlhelmer
May 31, 2003, 08:55 AM
Your story reminds me of the beer commercial where the guy goes " I love you man." Your story is of course much more genuine and a positive tribute to the type of people the media refers to as the "gun culture".

I shoot with my sons and will hand my duty weapons on to them.

I wish I could get my dad to go shooting with me and my boys.

Mike Irwin
May 31, 2003, 12:17 PM
"Ever see a grown man cry..."

Yep, last time I smashed my thumb with a hammer...

Very nice legacy.

Combat-wombat
June 1, 2003, 03:57 PM
Use it wisely, my friend...

June 1, 2003, 04:01 PM
I would have that rifle out next fall in the woods using the ammo that came with it. He told you, I thought maybe you could use this for something. That something is the same thing he bought it for and used it for all those years.

Carry on the tradition.

One thing that is really starting to bother me. In fact I think of it every couple days. I got divorced in 1989 and never had kids. I never regretted this situation in the least until I considered my gun collection. I have worked thousands of hours of overtime to afford the stuff I own. A lot of it has been customized or had top of the line accessories added. What is going to happen to my stuff ? I don't know anyone that I feel would appreciate it, like I would like to see it appreciated. If whoever finds my body sells this stuff off, no one will ever know what it is all about
Oh well, I guess I just enjoy it for as long as it lasts and when it comes time to cash in my chips, I won't even know what happened to my stuff.

P95Carry
June 1, 2003, 05:42 PM
444 .... this is of some concern to me also ...... altho I do have kids and step kids. My own boy (Hah!! Boy?? .... he's twenty damn six!!) .... has a coupla guns of his own and whilst he loves his shooting would not really want the whole of my lot! I guess I would bequeath a couple or so .. my best. My step son is still at an age (15) when he drives me nuts and whilst he is keen on shooting .. has not really as yet ''earned'' his place or my trust.

That leaves two female siblings .. neither of whom would want my stuff. My wife would, (assuming I pre-decease her) .. have to deal with the rest .... and I will hope she'll dispose of them, other than what she may want to keep ... handgun or two maybe ...... in a manner such that they end up in good, responsible and appreciative hands.

I am so far more or less relying on that aspect raising the cash to pay for my disposal!!:p :D

Brad Johnson
June 1, 2003, 07:10 PM
I read this yesterday when it was first posted, but got a reminder of it this morning. My 92 year old Grandfather, who recently gave me his cherished Krag Jorgensen, was rushed to emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer. His health is not the best anyway, so his prospects for recovery at this point are pretty slim. What really hit hard (especially after seeing this thread yesterday) was that I had his Krag out cleaning it when I got the call from my parents.

Just a reminder that life is precious, wisdom is priceless, and wealth is not defined by things you own, but by what others think of you.

Brad

DAL
June 1, 2003, 07:29 PM
Just a thought, but those of you with no heirs, or no worthy heirs, might think about bequeathing your prized guns to a local or regional gun-rights organization. They might be able to auction them and use the proceeds to continue fighting the good fight.
DAL

cool45auto
June 1, 2003, 08:42 PM
That's a good, touching story. Thanks for sharing.

Powderman
June 1, 2003, 10:15 PM
That is good news. I have a bit of a story of my own.

My father never passed any guns to me, unfortunately. However, I met my wife's uncle right after we first were married. I went back there a few times throughout the years, and I had talked to him a few times before I found out that he loved firearms as much as I did!

One time while we were back there, I was examining one of his custom rifles. It is a custom .220 Swift, on a Sako single-shot action, fitted with a 29 inch Hart barrel, 1-14 twist. All this is bedded into a McMillan stock, and topped with a Kahles scope.

After complimenting him on the rifle, he offered it to me. I happily paid his asking price, which was less than retail on the scope and stock alone.

A couple of years ago, he grew ill, and was prescribed some medication that caused him a deep depression. His family promptly took his guns--altogether about 20 fine custom rifles--and sold them!!!

He passed away shortly afterwards. When I heard about it, I was very sad--you see, everyone else said that he had withdrawn into himself. However, he never had any problems talking to me--because me and him talked GUNS!!! That was his first passion, and his first love. It seemed that everyone else failed to understand that.

The next time we prepared to go back East, I took the .220 to the range, with some of the cases he had furnished with the rifle. I loaded them with Sierra 52 grain MatchKings on IMR 4064 powder. I fired two foulers, and then a 5 round 100 yard group of around .520. I took the target, and the brass, wrapped the brass in the target, and when we went back East to visit his grave, I gave the small package to my wife, who dug a place by his headstone and put the target and brass in.

I guess what hurt the most was the fact that no one really understood this man's love for a good rifle. I hope that I honored his memory by doing what I did.

Thanks, Uncle Bill.

P95Carry
June 1, 2003, 10:20 PM
Powderman .. I can so very easily relate to your feelings. Thx for telling that.

Salutes to your Uncle http://www.patriotnetwork.net/images/smilies/salute.gif http://www.patriotnetwork.net/images/smilies/salute.gif

Gordon
June 1, 2003, 10:37 PM
Hey 444, Why don't you find a nice young man starting his collection and tell him to read powdermans post. The hard part is finding a 'man of his word', very few of this generation know the depth of that phrases meaning. I'm telling my sons to read Powdermans post. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever see a grown man cry, (300 Savage)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!