Whats the scoop on this "effect" 7.62x39?

PDA

Tropical Z
May 29, 2003, 12:59 PM
Its Silver Bear 124gr match effect ammo.The picture ive seen is small,but it appears to almost have a small BB attached to the end of the bullet.Has anyone seen or tried this ammo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the scoop on this "effect" 7.62x39?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WonderNine
May 29, 2003, 01:03 PM
As far as I know the bb covers the hollow point. It's something to do with it creating less drag and therefore retaining a little more velocity. They're pretty accurate. I've got about 1,400 rounds of the stuff.

DMK
May 29, 2003, 06:22 PM
I've been unimpressed with it's accuracy. It's been advertised as "Match Ammo" but I've found regular 'ol Barnual HP noticably more accurate in 7 different guns. S&B FMJ just puts it to shame. It is more accurate than Wolf for sure though.

I believe the tip contains a small cavity. This is supposed to mushroom without the hollow point. Basically, I think they are trying to get HP terminal performance from an FMJ type bullet.

It seems to me that it's reason for being is similar to Federal's EFMJ pistol ammo. I have however, had some feeding problems due to that strange point sticking out.

Like I said, I'm unimpressed with the case I got, but maybe where this stuff really shines is in the Balistic Gel.

Nightcrawler
May 29, 2003, 07:22 PM
I've heard that that Wolf 154grain Soft Points are much more accurate than their FMJ or JHP stuff. Try that if you want more accuracy.

Snowdog
May 29, 2003, 11:44 PM
Pretty sad considering Wolf and Silverbear are made by the same folks, LVE (Novosibirsk Low-Voltage Equipment Plant).

As for accuracy, who really expects any kind of ammunition to morph their AK or SKS into a tack driver? For my part, my SKS is a fun plinker, that's about it. Cheap ball ammunition will do.

DMK
May 30, 2003, 09:22 AM
Pretty sad considering Wolf and Silverbear are made by the same folks, LVE (Novosibirsk Low-Voltage Equipment Plant). They have different factories listed on the boxes. :confused:
As for accuracy, who really expects any kind of ammunition to morph their AK or SKS into a tack driver? For my part, my SKS is a fun plinker, that's about it. Cheap ball ammunition will do. Nobody expects their AK or SKS to suddenly turn into a National match rifle with a change in ammo, but what's wrong with trying to get the best accuracy possible from your rifle? IMO, if you're going to stock ammo, stock up the stuff your rifle likes. In my experience, changing from Wolf to Barnual in my Yugo SKS means going from 4" groups and 2" groups at 50 yards. Considering it's the same price, that's a pretty good improvement.

max popenker
May 30, 2003, 09:31 AM
the WOLF ammo brand is made by the TCW - Tula Cartridge Works plant.

Gewehr98
May 30, 2003, 10:33 AM
As for accuracy, who really expects any kind of ammunition to morph their AK or SKS into a tack driver? For my part, my SKS is a fun plinker, that's about it. Cheap ball ammunition will do.

I assemble ammo for my Bulgarian milled-receiver AK. "For my part", if the gun is capable of better accuracy, why not feed it better ammo? Cheap milsurp through a Remington 700PSS may be economical and fun, but are you going to get a true picture of the gun's capabilities? I have the dies, the components, and the time, so I gave it a whack:

http://www.mauser98.com/26sepaktarget.jpg

Now, is this benchrest or even sub-MOA accuracy? No, but it definitely makes me wonder about those who spout off about the horrible accuracy of the Kalashnikov family of rifles. If all you're gonna do is feed it steel-cased Wolf, don't get your expectations up. You can indeed stay happy at that level of performance. ;)

WonderNine
May 30, 2003, 10:50 AM
I don't think you can expect better than 6" groups at 100 yards from any short barreled milsurp rifle in an intermediate cartridge. Maybe my expectations are too low? But I love the Silver Bear ammo. It just looks mean to. The stuff is military specs isn't it? Fired more than 400 rounds out of a Yugo SKS without a single hiccup. Haven't even cleaned the rifle yet.

I'll post what kind of groups the SKS is getting at 100 yards when it's finally sighted in correctly. It's got a short NCstar nitrogen fileld scope.

Seems to be getting sub 2" groups at 40 yards.

Snowdog
May 30, 2003, 11:47 AM
You know how that goes. Somehow, I had this faulty info burned in my mind and had to check for myself to dispel this gremlin.

Yes, indeed they are from separate facilities with only Silverbear being made by LVE.
Strange how one records information wrong... a scary kind of strange.

As for accuracy, I've put a whole pantheon of brands of 7.62x39 through my two (Norinco type 56) SKS rifles and have never noticed a significant difference in accuracy. Of the better brands were Georgia Arms 125gr Ballistic Tip and Federal Eagle ball. These two "higher quality" offerings hardly offered any tangible improvement in performance over the far cheaper Norinco 123gr FMJ I've been running through long before Wolf was even dreamed of.

And yes, I've tried Wolf and find it as good a performer as any.
I've found myself shooting a occasional 2" group at 100 yards, but my SKS rifles don't particularly care what kind of ammunition they're shooting when they do it. Could be G-A, could be Wolf. They just like the attention.

Everyone makes their own money and they may spend it as they wish.

DMK
May 30, 2003, 01:29 PM
but my SKS rifles don't particularly care what kind of ammunition they're shooting when they do it. Could be G-A, could be Wolf. They just like the attention. :D

You know come to think of it, it may be just coincidence, but I don't remember my Norinco being too particular about ammo brand either. Certainly not as much as my Yugos or Romanian.

BigG
May 30, 2003, 02:01 PM
I've got a Izhmash Dragunov that will shoot sub MOA with surplus ball 7.62X54 ammo.

I've got a Colt AR15 that will shoot 3" 100 yard groups (iron sight) with Win White Box 7.62X39. It's as accurate as a 223 for my eyes. Think with a scope the group size would come down. In other words, I think the Russian calibers have good intrinsic accuracy.

WonderNine
May 30, 2003, 02:53 PM
As long as the bullet size is right, I don't see why there should be that major of a difference between brands.

M2HMGHB
May 31, 2003, 12:12 PM
Isnt the 6mm PPC a necked down 7.62x39 with a bigger flash hole? Just thinking that it's supposed to be the most accurate cartridge and it's a re-designed 7.62x39. Has anyone tried Wolf in a bolt action 7.62x39?

DMK
May 31, 2003, 01:04 PM
As long as the bullet size is right, I don't see why there should be that major of a difference between brands. Oh sure there will be if the powder charges aren't exactly the same. Better ammo should have more consistent powder charges among other improvements.

Sometimes you can clearly hear the difference in the report of the rounds of low quality ammo when shooting it.

That's why some 22 shooters buy those bulk value packs and weigh each round. They sort them into lots of very close weights. It's not the bullets that weigh different.

Of course, bullet design, aerodynamics and numerous other factors do matter, but IMO, due to lower standards of quality control, the inconsistency of the propellant is the most common reason for poor accuracy in cheap ammo.

MAKOwner
May 31, 2003, 04:24 PM
I don't think you can expect better than 6" groups at 100 yards from any short barreled milsurp rifle in an intermediate cartridge.

I think you'll be able to do a decent bit better than that. My two AKs and SKS all group around 3-5 inch 5 shot groups max on average with whatever the cheapest ammo I can find is (mainly Wolf). Certainly not "can't hit the broad side of a barn" accuracy that so many who don't own one like to proclaim. I'm sure with some sight upgrades or a scope you could chop that on down a bit too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the scoop on this "effect" 7.62x39?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!