AR-15 Build Kits

PDA

Rudolf the Red
January 7, 2007, 05:27 PM
I think I bought the last stripped receiver in CA with an open mag hole! Now I want to build a rifle. Legal issues aside, what company makes the best kit. I see half a dozen different people making full kits in Shotgun News. Has anyone built their own rifle using thier own stripped lower and if so, where did you buy your kit?

I just want a typical 20" rifle.

California Gun laws = :cuss: then :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Build Kits" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
January 8, 2007, 12:34 AM
DPMS is a manufacturer with a reputation for quality parts.
They offer a lower receiver completion kit that is excellent.
You can buy direct from DPMS or you can order from Brownells. HTH
http://www.dpmsinc.com
http://www.brownells.com

DogBonz
January 8, 2007, 12:40 AM
But save your self the :banghead: , and get a good trigger. Get a Jewel, or theMcCormick Drop-in unit. Spend the money here, and you will be glad that you did. I didn't when I built one of mine and was utterly fustrated later that I spent the money to build an AR the way that I wanted, and it had a crappy, heavy as a sack of bricks, trigger.

Davo
January 8, 2007, 12:55 AM
Ive used Del-ton and am very happy, I got a 20" chromed hbar, its great but too heavy to be hauling around.
I have another lower that Im gonna setup with a featherweight 16".

RCR29
January 8, 2007, 01:08 AM
+1 for del-ton kits.
RRA has great stuff, along w/ CMMG. RRA 2 stage triggers are the best bang for the buck triggers IMO.

wdlsguy
January 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
Another vote for Del-Ton (http://www.del-ton.com).

sorensen440
March 11, 2007, 03:31 PM
actually there is a gun store near me (bay area) that had about 12 stripped recievers yesterday (I bought one )

RobG5538
March 11, 2007, 04:35 PM
actually there is a gun store near me (bay area) that had about 12 stripped recievers yesterday (I bought one )

Where, how much, and what brand? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

Don't Tread On Me
March 11, 2007, 04:38 PM
There is a lot of praise for Del-Ton and CMMG. Never had either, but there is overwhelming positive response. (I've been eyeballing that CMMG 14.5" featherweight, 1/7, chrome lined, NATO chamber, M4 feedramp, midlength gas system, MPI tested upper)

After that, I'd say JT (DSA Arms) is probably the best bet for kits. They were the prefered kit when comparing to the various kit brands in the past.

Stay away from Model 1 Sales. They are pure junk. Just take my word for it so I don't have to write 5,000 words on why (I've owned them before).

Kits aren't the great deal they used to be. Now you can pretty much source individual parts or groups of parts and get a much higher quality AR in the end, often for just a little bit more money.

As for the weight issue. Most people who get to handle a lightweight AR at the range are instantly convinced (heh, converted!) to lightweight fans. There's no difference in accuracy. Heat is not an issue (everything gets hot regardless). No need for all that ballast on your rifle. Almost all of the negatives thrown at lightweight barrels are myths.

HBAR's are ok for the bench. But not when you have to stand or carry them.

Trempel
March 11, 2007, 05:03 PM
There is a lot of praise for Del-Ton and CMMG.
Del-ton is excellent and uses nice parts. They ship quick too. But you'll be stuck with a HBAR, because I don't remember them offering government profiles on 20" kits. That might've changed though. CMMG is a bit more expensive, but they have so many variations on their uppers, that you'll find what you want.

10-Ring
March 11, 2007, 06:20 PM
My RRA trigger has been cleaned up a bit & is very nice. My new 9mm AR has a DPMS trigger that is okay but can use some work.
IF I do it again, I'll prolly go w/ the RRA 2 stage :D

PS...how many more lowers do you need? The shop I frequent is still getting them in :D and I'm always happy to pimp that shop :cool:

RobG5538
March 11, 2007, 07:21 PM
10 ring, if they are near the bay area (nor cal) shoot me a pm with info.

Thanks

John C
March 12, 2007, 02:30 AM
10-ring;

I'd appreciate info on where the lower receivers are, as well.

-John

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Build Kits" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!