Italian switchblade

PDA

doubleg
January 7, 2007, 07:02 PM
I've always wanted one but I don't know where to get them. Is there a trustworthy site or store someone can reccomend?

If you enjoyed reading about "Italian switchblade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mrtgbnkr
January 7, 2007, 08:43 PM
Take a look here: http://www.switchblade-knives.it/

tellner
January 7, 2007, 08:57 PM
First, make sure you are in a state which allows you to own them. In many just owning an automatic knife is a felony.

Second, while you can often legally buy them in your state I am pretty sure that importing them other than for military or law enforcement is a serious crime.

Don't go to jail for a toy.

chipp
January 7, 2007, 09:09 PM
do a web search for italian auto stilletto you'll find lots. Far as I know its legal in Pa to own them. Its not legal to carry them. As for Importing I have no idea. The good ones are pricey 150 to 500 up. there are alot of places local (near phila) that sell autos. there in alot in gun mags. I believe "Combat Gun"

The Deer Hunter
January 7, 2007, 10:51 PM
www.bladerealms.com

it should be on the front page, what cop is going to raid your house for a knife?

dont carry it.

Soap
January 7, 2007, 11:46 PM
I ordered a Dalton auto through:

http://www.pvknife.com/webcat/

tellner
January 8, 2007, 03:24 AM
I really don't care what the likelihood is of them busting down your door. It's a Really Bad Thing(tm) to recommend that someone break Federal laws.

sm
January 8, 2007, 03:31 AM
tellner is correct.

THR does not condone anything illegal - not even suggesting it. Please read Rules of Conduct you agreed to upon registering here.

Zak Smith
January 8, 2007, 03:35 AM
Promoting illegal acts is right out.

hso
January 8, 2007, 07:21 AM
We've discussed legal issues related to switchblades before. Let me restate a few of the facts.

Ownership and carry of switchblades is regulated by state and local laws. If you want to find out what they are for your area you should research them. If you know it's illegal to have in your area don't come here asking how to get around the law.

Federal law addresses the seller and not the buyer. It restricts interstate commerce for the seller to military and LE official purchases or dealers who sell to governmental buyers. There is an exception to this. In U.S. territories where federal law is the only law it restricts posession to LE/Military, otherwise there is no fed law restricting having or carrying them. This is such a small issue that it's often neglected in discussions on switchblades.

The shipper is in violation of the federal law restricting interstate commerce in switchblades (either 15 or 18 USC [http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/fedswitch.txt) if they mail (USPS) or use a common carrier (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.) to move a switchblade across state lines in commerce. Dealers break these laws over and over again. The bigger dealers also get caught from time to time and get their goods confiscated, are convicted, and pay hefty fines and sometimes go to jail for a year or two. I personally know 2 individuals that have been through this. The vast majority of folks dealing in switchblades never get caught and opeate below the radar selling them. As a defense, some "distributors" protect themselves by requiring their customers to sign a affidavit claiming they are bonafide dealers selling to the government.

The recipiant of a switchblade has violated no federal laws because the federal laws are written against the seller shipping across state lines. The only wrinkle is if you intend to resell or purchase in volume you could be accused of conspiracy.

If your state prohibits posession of switchblades then you are in violation of that state law if you are not authorized by the state to posess. If your state does not have any laws preventing posession then you have no laws to violate.

Some states have laws prohibiting posession, some restrict, some have no laws WRT posession of switchblades at all.

Discussing where to get them on the internet is controversial.

Know what the law is in your local area and state. Here's a good thread we had on the question - http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=173120&highlight=switchblade+laws . The laws are enforced unevenly and in an unpredictable manner. I personally know people that have been arrested just for autos and who have gone to jail.

joab
January 8, 2007, 11:18 AM
Go to a gunshow
If they are legal in your area there will be many dealers selling switchblades that you can look at before you buy

AirForceShooter
January 8, 2007, 12:52 PM
here in Florida your CCW covers your carrying a switchblade.
You can pick up quality blades at the fleamarket for about $100 and up.
It's all in the safety.

Also try Admiral Knives.

AFS

hso
January 8, 2007, 06:04 PM
Just because switchblades are sold at gunshows or flea markets or even store front businesses does not mean that the state or local laws do not restrict, limit or outright prohibit sales, posession or carry of switchblades.

Carry laws may or may not cover switchblades. If your state is a "handgun" carry state as opposed to a weapons carry state it almost certainly does not apply to anything other than handguns.

The only way to know is to read the law itself.

http://www.amatecon.com/switchblade.html

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

RyanM
January 8, 2007, 07:26 PM
There's a store near Intercourse, PA, that I forget the name of. Oh, found it. http://www.countryknives.com/default.asp

Their prices are pretendous, but since they're in PA, you'd be legal to mail order an automatic knife.

hso
January 9, 2007, 01:10 AM
Let me say this again.

The seller is the only one regulated by the interstate commerce laws, not the buyer. State and local law regulates posession and carry by an individual.

It doesn't matter under the 15 or 18 USC statutes if you order a knife over the internet or mailorder or the phone. These laws regulate the seller.

State and local law determines if it's legal for you to posess or carry an automatic knife.

joab
January 9, 2007, 01:25 AM
here in Florida your CCW covers your carrying a switchblade.As of July 1 2001 switchblades are considered ordinary knives and are regulated no more that any other

Just because switchblades are sold at gunshows or flea markets or even store front businesses does not mean that the state or local laws do not restrict, limit or outright prohibit sales, posession or carry of switchblades. Very true, but if they are legal in your area I can guarantee that they are sold at those venues. Which to me is a better alternative that sight unseen Internet purchases

mp510
January 10, 2007, 12:47 AM
For those considering illegally importing one, and figuring it'll come through unnoticed, I would guess again. I recently brought in a German surplus Mauser Pattern from Sweden (sort of like an SAK, just a regular slipjoint, and being legal it cleared just fine), and it was opened up at customs and border protection. I wonder which word on the customs decleration caused it to get opened?

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50961&d=1168403692

hso
January 10, 2007, 10:53 AM
Yep, ordering switchblades from overseas often results in the confiscation of the item by customs. Ordering large numbers of them can result in a visit by fed and local LE. I personally know several people that have had overseas deliveries confiscated and that have been subject to investigation and prosecution.

1911JMB
January 10, 2007, 08:13 PM
Knife laws are as funny as they are stupid. If you go to a gun and knife show and look at balisongs, you will notice that the vast majority of them cost 10 dollars and say made in china. As far as I know, foreign bali's are illegal to import by federal law by the same law governing auto knives being imported, and yet they are readily available.

About Italian made Godfather's, or any Godfather type knife, they really are junk. Cheap junk. Yes they are fun to own, but they serve little purpose beyond that.

Maxinquaye
January 10, 2007, 08:53 PM
"About Italian made Godfather's, or any Godfather type knife, they really are junk. Cheap junk. Yes they are fun to own, but they serve little purpose beyond that."

Not this godfather:

http://www.1sks.com/images/protech/pt-901.jpg

pictoblu
January 10, 2007, 09:31 PM
+5 on the Protech...

Fit and finish put Dalton to shame.

And since MT has told its' former high end collectors that their forum is cr*p...well...

Anyone who says Italian stiletto's, godfathers, etc., are junk is simply uneducated. The junk you speak of are typically the japan/china/tiawan/milano/etc. imports, and yes, those knives typically are junk. But people sure do buy 'em.

The moderator is correct. The federal laws governing switchblades concern themselves with interstate commerce, primarily. Interstate commerce in switchbldes is forbidden, unless you are prepared to sign and have notarized a Section 18.

One tidbit that many are ignorant of is this: if you ship a switchblade to someone via USPS, and if the knife in you shipped is eventually used to commit murder, the guy who shipped it (you) is charged with murder as well as the guy who did the actual murdering. This is why switchblades should never be shipped via usps.

As for Balisong/butterfly knives, here's a direct quote from "The Balisong Collector", Chuck Gollnick:

"It is illegal to import automatic knives (switchblades). There are no exceptions. US Customs regulations consider balisong (butterfly) knives to be switchblades.

"Interestingly, Federal law does NOT consider balisongs switchblades. So, it is legal to transport balisong knives interstate. It is illegal federally to transport automatic knives, switchblades, interstate with exceptions for military and law-enforcement.

"I know that it makes no sense, but Customs regulations and federal law are two different things with different courts and everything."

However, I am not a lawyer and I don't think Mr. Gollnick is either. I am not giving anyone any legal advice whatsoever.

Here in GA, the laws I have read state that as long as the switchblade is not carried concealed, you can carry and use it. And so anytime I have any switchblades with me, I also have a copy of the Law, since police officers are enforcers, not judge/lawyer/jury/etc., and typically do not know every detail about those laws which they have been hired to enforce.

However, many municipalities have many laws governing knives as well, and so there is no rest for knife nuts. You gotta look up every single law that you can and go from there.

Hope everyone is having a knife day...

joab
January 10, 2007, 09:33 PM
I have the traditional Italian Switchblade that I carry daily.
It is a very well made knife for what it is.
The blade is still solid after over a year and it opens as it should and keeps a sharp edge.

But it is by no means a working knife, just an expensive playtoy

pictoblu
January 10, 2007, 09:39 PM
Actually, the Italian Stiletto was designed with one thing in mind: stabbing.

Yep, it's a stabber...

1911JMB
January 10, 2007, 09:47 PM
Yep, thats what I mean pictoblu. Its a stabbing knife, not a tool. And when I said Godfather, I did not mean an American made Protech Guardfather. I mean a real Italian stilleto. The blades are very thin and flimsy.

hso
January 10, 2007, 11:36 PM
they really are junk. Cheap junk.

This is almost always a correct statement. The exceptions do exist. I have a pair of beautiful 30 cm picklocks with heavy nickle silver bolsters, blond buffalo horn scales and very nice blades all hand fitted and finished. Of course the silly things cost me over $150 each, but they are beautiful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Italian switchblade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!