Acetone for removing Cosmoline?

PDA

Juna
January 8, 2007, 10:56 AM
I have a WASR 10 & I need to get the cosmoline off. I have some acetone around the house. I figured it would be good b/c it's so volatile, but the guy at my hardward store said it might damage the metal. Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Acetone for removing Cosmoline?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
January 8, 2007, 11:01 AM
Acetone shouldn't damage the metal.

That stuff is very volatile, and the fumes will be strong....Plus, very flammable. IMHO, mineral spirits is a much better choice for this job.

Juna
January 8, 2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks. That's what I figured. I figured it would evaporate too quickly to harm the metal. I might pick up some mineral spirits, though. Since it's winter and all, I probably won't want to crack open the acetone in the house, and it's too cold to do it outside. I've heard others say to use turpentine or kerosene. Anyone else use anything different for getting off Cosmoline?

jimmyraythomason
January 8, 2007, 11:07 AM
I agree with Foghornl, for cosmolene removal, mineral spirits (paint thinner) is the way to go.

mete
January 8, 2007, 11:15 AM
Somewhere on the internet is a design for garbage can oven heated with lightbulbs that heated things to 150 F which will melt out the bulk of the cosmolene .Finish the rest with solvent .

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
January 8, 2007, 11:40 AM
Heat is good for melting out the cosmoline. Use kerosene or diesel to dissolve it.

1 old 0311
January 8, 2007, 02:33 PM
Take it to a coin car wash, at night, and spray it with hi-pressure, hot detergent. Quick, easy, cheap, and won't blow up!

mainmech48
January 8, 2007, 02:39 PM
Ditto the kerosene. It's cheap, readily available, relatively benign and has a higher flash point than many other common solvents. I've used it for cosmoline removal from the time I bought my first milsurp, A Long Branch SMLE #4 Mk. I*, in 1965. It's never had any negative effect on wood or metal finish, no matter where the piece came from.

landon74
January 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
Surplusrifle.com has plans on how to build an 'easy bake' comsoline removal oven. I use a steam cleaner and kerosene, works pretty well.

Ohen Cepel
January 8, 2007, 07:02 PM
I like the car wash idea! Especially, if you had a truck and could wash it in the bed.

Now, I need to buy a truck:evil:

bogie
January 8, 2007, 07:57 PM
Turn your water heater up past the "child safety" area.

Put a strainer over the drain. Tape it with duct tape. Trust me on this one.

Take the boomstick apart, and put the little pieces in a metal cake pan or something, and put 'em in the oven at a coupla hundred degrees. It helps if you place 'em on a drying rack or something, so the crud will drip off, and not pool.

Now, take the collander you stole from the kitchen while you were stealing the strainer, and put the pieces in it. Take your time, but remember that she'll be back before 10:00...

Now, using the removable shower nozzle (you've been looking for an excuse for one of those shower massager things, right?), turn on just the hot water, and start steam-cleaning the stuff. Hot water will nuke it big time.

When each part is clean, let it dry, and spray it with some light oil.

Reassemble the rifle or pistol.

Now, take the evidence, wipe it down after spraying with superhot water, and put it in the dishwasher on pots and pans cycle. Clean the tub with a good dish detergent.

Turn the water heater back down.

Juna
January 8, 2007, 08:03 PM
LOL, bogie. :p Looks like you've mastered that technique.

So if you do use water, how do you dry the insides and the smaller parts (so they don't rust)? I don't mean the stuff you can easily access like when you normally clean it, but the little nooks & crannies that you can't normally get to when you clean.

bogie
January 8, 2007, 08:25 PM
I've used a quart jar of Mobil 1 to dunk stuff in before. Nice oil.

Spray can of WD-40 works fine too. Ballistol also comes in a spray. So does Kroil.

If you enjoyed reading about "Acetone for removing Cosmoline?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!