Savage Model 10 .243

PDA

jsgdurham
January 8, 2007, 03:25 PM
I wanted to see if anyone has some suggestions.

I bought a new Savage model 10 in a .243 caliber. To break in the gun I purchased a few boxes of Federal Pwer-Shock 100G soft point.

The first shot seemed to be fine. The remaining 5 had problems. All of the primers came out of the shells and the gun would not eject the rounds. We imediatley sent the gun to savage. In addition where the ecjector pin contacts the hull we found a raised area of metal a few thousanths high.

Savage determined that the bolt needed to be replaced and told me that the gun broke due to "hot loads". However, when we fired the same rounds in two different guns the same problem did not occurr.

Has anyone else expereinced a similiar probelm or heard of a load working in one gun while not functioning in another?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Model 10 .243" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mustanger98
January 8, 2007, 05:13 PM
I have a Model 11GL in .243Winchester. I've been shooting Winchester PowerPoint and S&B SP, both in 100grain. Those, to my understanding, are running about 3000fps. I don't know what your loads were doing, but it's possible they just didn't want to say their product failed you, therefore "it's yo'fault". Your problem is a new one on me. All I can say is try it again when your rifle comes back from Savage. If it's still a problem, I'd get a gunsmith to look it over. Worst case, I'd say you got a lemon, but at this point, give it a chance to straighten out.

BTW, you notice I'm not using any fancy premium or safari grade ammo and I'm getting good results. They say "you get what you pay for", but sometimes you pay more for less.

Right now, I don't know what else to say about it.

MikeJackmin
January 8, 2007, 07:14 PM
There is absolutely no reason why you cannot expect to safely use Federal ammo in your rifle. The odds of this being the fault of the ammunition are very, very slight, especially since this occurred the very first time you fired this particular gun.

Did you clean the gun carefully before firing? If there was a layer of shipping grease in the barrel, and if the chamber was greasy, too, that might have caused some of the trouble. A slick chamber can inhibit the normal adhesion of the casing to the chamber wall, resulting in more force being applied against the bolt face. Grease in the neck of the chamber can prevent the case mouth from opening to release the bullet, and grease in the bore can build up in front of the bullet; both of these may increase chamber pressures.

Give your new rifle a good scrubbing and then fire any commercial ammo you like. It should work fine, and if it doesn't, demand a refund.

jsgdurham
January 9, 2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks for some for the input.

I talked to savage yesterday when they called to verify where the gun was being shipped to. The initially told me that I was shooting hot re-loads. I then told them that these were factory loads. I also explained that the same loads where shot in two different guns after this happend and the rounds shot just fine. I even finished two of the five boxes in different guns.

I may just contact Federal to see what they say. I have a feeling that this was a firearms problem that they did not want to admit to and blamed it on the loads. That way I would just chuck the shells buy new ones, and be happy.

The other thing that bothers me is the marks the gun was leaving on the spent shells. I mean you could really see a small raised area where the shell was stiking the ejection pin. I sent a few back to savage with the gun but they did not comment on those. They just stated they pumped 20 rounds through the rifle and it fires fine at this point. Only one person locally has seen the shells so far and at first he said that he would have told me the problem was hot factory loads until he saw the mark on the hull and said that we was positive this was a gun problem.

ECVMatt
January 9, 2007, 07:04 PM
I bet it was not properly set at the factory.

Matt

jsgdurham
January 9, 2007, 08:30 PM
That's what I am thinking. I have heard that sometimes companies will not fess up to it being their problem and just make the repair. Savage kept telling me just to stop using reloads. All of mine are from the factory.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/JSGDURHAM/000_0009.jpg

jsgdurham
January 9, 2007, 08:31 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/JSGDURHAM/000_0008.jpg

rangerruck
January 9, 2007, 08:40 PM
yep , they are lyin. It is common knowledge that the 243, is the most unpredictable, spikiest factory round out there, with big swings in muzzle fps. But you know what? the mgfrs of both guns and bullets have known this for years, and have been making their guns accordingly, notice this same prolem, you never hear of with the 6mm remmy, and it is an even hotter load, about 200 fps faster, and the handloaders crank it up to about 3 or 400 fps faster. So yeah, you got a lemon rifle there.

jsgdurham
January 9, 2007, 08:47 PM
Well, they said they fixed the issue so I will go out and shoot it this weekend and see what happens. Heck they shoot 95G federals at the factory. I will just shoot some other rounds first. If all is well I will try the other loads again.

.41Dave
January 9, 2007, 11:32 PM
Primers backing out, brass flowing into the ejector/extractor port, and difficulty extracting fired cases are all classic signs of excessive chamber pressure. MikeJackmin is right on about grease or other fouling in the chamber or barrel being a possible culprit. Other possibilities are out of spec ammo or a problem with the gun itself, such as improper headspacing, an out of spec chamber, or the like. Let us know how it shoots now that you have it back. However, the first time you get the same pressure signs, stop shooting that rifle and load.

jsgdurham
January 10, 2007, 07:05 AM
Yeah that's what I will do. Savage said they put 20 rounds through the gun and there no problems.

A gunsmith came into my work today and I had the shells with me. Told him the story and he immediatley said that that is what a hot load does. Then he took a look at the shells. Once he saw the marks on the gun he said that was a gun problem and not an ammo issue. He seemed pretty confident that there was some sort of movement going on in the gun.

I will just re-shoot different ammo to verify the gun is working properly and then try one of the same loads. I finished off the original box I was shooting so we will try one of the others. I will let you guys know what the outcome is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Model 10 .243" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!