Browning BLR Re-Assembly

PDA

mnrivrat
May 29, 2003, 05:43 PM
What's the trick to install the gear so it is timed correctly ? Need re-assembly instructions. :banghead: :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning BLR Re-Assembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badger Arms
May 29, 2003, 07:13 PM
To Quote the Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly, you, "Insert the lever assembly with the bolt in fully closed position, and with the bolt gear at the rearmost location in its track." It goes on to say, "Insert the gear and lever cross pins, but do not drive them in place until the gear and bolt engagement is correct. There should be a very small space visible at the point indicated [Rear of the bolt head, front front of the bolt carrier] with the lever closed. If the space is measurable... then the engagement must be readjusted. To do this, pull the lever pin only, reposition the lever track on the gear until the bolt closure is correct. If it is too tight for full lever travel, back it off by one gear tooth."

Sounds simple and is. Just trial-pin it in place, test, and redo it if it's wrong. IIRC, it only took me three tries to find the right engagement but I didn't have the book to go by. I used the 'WAG' method of reassembly. The trick is that there should be a tiny gap visible between the bolt head and the carrier assembly when you've done it right.

mnrivrat
May 29, 2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks Badger Sports - I have been trying to "WAG" it also but never seemed to hit the sweet spot. I will go back at it with your helpful info and my eyes wide open ! :what:

4 eyed six shooter
May 31, 2003, 12:53 AM
If you still have no luck, e mail me with your address and I will send you a copy of the BBR part of the Browning factory repair manual with the pictures, arrows and descriptions. They are a wonderful rifle but a real pain in the butt to put back togather without instructions. John K dksac2@juno.com

mnrivrat
June 10, 2003, 09:31 PM
Just a follow-up thank you guys for your help. I have finished the project - even with the paperwork I was sent it seemed more art than skill that made it happen. :D Thanks !

4 eyed six shooter
June 11, 2003, 12:30 AM
Just a tip for the next time you take your Browning apart. Mark the gears before it is disassembled. Glad to hear it's shootin again.
John K

mnrivrat
June 11, 2003, 12:47 AM
Thanks John - Although I am probably not behond doing something like the dis-assembly of this BLR without proper attention to detail - it actualy is not mine, and came to me in pieces from a friend who needed it put together. I'll let him know how I feel - next time some gun scrub spray and blowing it out with an airhose will be my recommendation. Thanks again for the assembly paperwork - I realy appreciated it !

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning BLR Re-Assembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!