Difference betewwn Python and Python elite?

PDA

Sniper X
January 8, 2007, 06:31 PM
So,, what's the deal? And sorry for the mispelling!

If you enjoyed reading about "Difference betewwn Python and Python elite?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
January 8, 2007, 07:01 PM
The Python Élite was a Python with a slightly differently stamped barrel. The Élite was made late in the revolver's life. Almost without exception, every Élite I looked at was unevenly finished and equipped with a mediocre trigger.

I have one Python Élite. After an action job, it ended up with a delightful trigger.

dfariswheel
January 8, 2007, 07:11 PM
In the late 90's Colt started offering the Python only through the Custom Shop.
At that time, they changed the barrel stamp to "Python Elite" and started installing laminated grips.

Other than the barrel stamp, there's no difference between the Python Elite and the Python.

Tbu61
January 9, 2007, 02:58 AM
I have fired a few Elites and they generally don't have the fit and finish comparable to earlier Pythons. Colt, like most other companies had to start cutting costs to remain competitive. Fine finish was the first thing to suffer. Eventually Colt dropped the Python because there was no profit margin. Much the same for the Diamondback.

You would think Colt would revive those revolvers based on the current demand, but they would have to charge even more than the Sky High prices we see for vintage specimens on the market now.

GUNKWAZY
January 9, 2007, 06:51 AM
You would think Colt would revive those revolvers based on the current demand, but they would have to charge even more than the Sky High prices we see for vintage specimens on the market now.

The whole reason there's such a current demand is the fact that everyone knows that Colt stopped producing them and everyone wants to stick one of those classics in their collection.
If Colt started again, the demand would slow down and the prices would probably drop some. :D

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Robo_Railer
January 9, 2007, 12:37 PM
Other than the barrel stamp, there's no difference between the Python Elite and the Python.How about a red-ramp front and white-outline rear sights? Or did later "regular" Pythons come with those? My 4" 1967 doesn't have them (yet). The sights and the fancier grips are shown on the CMC site (http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Python_C.asp).

Sniper X
January 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
My 1975 6in doesn't either, although that would be nice.

dfariswheel
January 9, 2007, 02:50 PM
Colt started adding white outline and red ramp sights in the early 1980's when the stainless models were introduced.

Within a couple of years, all Pythons had them.

Again, the only difference between the Elite Python and the standard Python is the "Elite" stamp on the barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Difference betewwn Python and Python elite?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!