Considering an XD compact 9mm for CC

PDA

EdLaver
January 8, 2007, 08:07 PM
Please, anyone with experience with this firearm, share your opinion on accuracy, ergonomics, and trigger. I also saw 30rd mags for these, anyone has one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering an XD compact 9mm for CC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
12many
January 8, 2007, 08:13 PM
I am not an expert and don't conceal carry, but I have a 9 mm XD in the SC and I like it alot. Easy to shoot and can be made small, and is accurate as you need for SD. It is not a pocket gun. I put in my pocket of a heavy wool coat and it really weighted down the jacket and it was obvious I had something heavy in the pocket. You would need a holster. That is all I know.

Shoot safe.

308win
January 8, 2007, 08:18 PM
I like the ergonomics and reliability of my XD9SC. That said, my full time carry is an S&W Jframe snubbie (pocket carry). The XD would be fine for holster carry when wearing the right kind of clothes but it is not a pocket carry pistol. I can't imagine trying to CCW with a 30 round magazine but anything is possible I guess.

KINGMAX
January 8, 2007, 08:19 PM
What do you normally carry? Is the 9mm your normar load?

EdLaver
January 8, 2007, 08:21 PM
yeah I wouldnt carry it with the 30 rounder, that would just be for Sh*ts and giggles:)

EdLaver
January 8, 2007, 08:23 PM
my normal carry is a G29 10mm, Ive carried it for about 2 years I think. buts its blocky and I want a new variety/choice when I leave home.

philbo
January 8, 2007, 08:25 PM
Have owned several XD9 SC's, and carry one on a regular basis. It is not a pocket gun, but in a c-tac holster I can carry all day comfortably. Accuracy is good, and I bought it because it just felt right. I really like the idea of using full size mags as well. Try the pistols with a loaded mag before you make any judgments. Many complain of the XD being top heavy... which is is unloaded. If it fits your hand, you can't go wrong.

edit: I now carry the XD9sc compact using a xd40sc mag. This allows 12 rounds instead of 10 and is just as reliable.

Rock_Steady
January 8, 2007, 08:28 PM
Since getting my XD-9 SC about a month ago, I have been carrying it nonstop at 3:00 in an IWB holster - just and Uncle Mikes for now, looking for a better one to sink some money in. Very easy to conceal, especially wih the 10-rd magazine. From the feel of it, a 4" tactical model would hide jsut fine if it wasn't for the length of the grip - the grip is the part I have trouble concealing. Only mod I have made to mine is to get the Pearce grip extension for the 10rd magazine - I like a place to put my pinky - and it is a beautiful piece to carry!

Juna
January 8, 2007, 10:17 PM
To be clear, you said XD9 "compact". Did you mean the 4" barrelled service model or the 3" barreled subcompact? I personally love the XD & find it very accurate and like the ergonomics.

Fun2Shoot
January 8, 2007, 10:32 PM
The XD9 sub-compact was my main CC choice for most of a year. It's function with a wide variety brands and bullet configurations was always flawless from day one. I put about 1K rds down range with mine.

I carried it IWB at about 3 o'clock in a generic off-the-shelf holster. It was fine, but over time I came to dislike it's rather thick width and as another post said, it does have a noticeable top heavy feel. So I still say it is an excellent CC choice, I just wanted to get away from a thick gun.

I decided to go with a single stack 9mm S&W 3913 because I found that a narrow overall profile was just a bit more comfortable to me, plus the Smith had a much better balance to my hand.

You could do much worse than an XD9 sub, It's a good CC weapon IMO.

possum
January 8, 2007, 10:36 PM
i conceal carry the .40 model of the xdsc, and i love it. i think that the sc points easier and gets on target easier and quicker than the service model, it is also really accurate for a sc gun and is on par with my service model out to 25yds or so. i am very pleased with it. it is really easy to conceal. i thought recoil would be an issue but it ain't nothing to worry about, as a matter of fact the recoil is like that of my .40 service model. all cqb drills and modes of fire are easily accomplished. i love the gun and had zero malfunctions to date and the rd count is at the bottom in my signateure. they are great guns just like all the rest of the xd line up!
btw i carry my xdsc in either a blackhawk serpa holster, or my most recent purchace, my galco miami classic shoulder holster which i really like.

salvador31c
January 9, 2007, 05:32 PM
The xd-9sc is a great CC Peice like some have said it's a little on the heavy and thick side but arnt all double stacks? still its a great shot with a short barrel and a short grip, nice trigger and very nice grouping with mine

KINGMAX
January 12, 2007, 08:42 PM
I chose a Glock 21 in .45 acp for my primary PD carry. I myself would go to a compact/sub-compact in the some caliber. Go w/ .45, stay w/ .45. All in what you know. :D

distra
January 12, 2007, 09:05 PM
I have a XD9 & XD45 service. They are a little thick for my body style, but I do carry my XD45 occasionally. I would have no problem carrying an XD9 SC if I were thinner. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering an XD compact 9mm for CC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!