Coolness Factor!!!

PDA

Greg8098
January 8, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm planning on getting either a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle in stainless steel, or a .454 Ruger Alaskan in stainless, just for the coolness factor. I like the unique design of each one of these, but I will only be able to afford one. If you guys were only given these two options which would you choose. No need for Revolver vs. Semi-auto rhetoric, just provide the most unbiased decision possible.

If you enjoyed reading about "Coolness Factor!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AJD
January 8, 2007, 09:09 PM
The Desert Eagle you are thinking of is either chrome or nickel as Magnum Research doesn't offer a stainless steel Desert Eagle(At least I've never seen one).

Coolness factor def. goes to the Desert Eagle.

Fn-P9
January 8, 2007, 09:31 PM
Coolness goes to desert eagle
Although the Ruger kicks @$$ they are common enough (relatively)

thirty-thirty
January 8, 2007, 10:32 PM
If you had coolness in your left hand and a medium sized morsel of bovine excrement in your right hand, which would be the heaviest?

I gave up doing anything to be cool several decades ago.

ugaarguy
January 8, 2007, 11:11 PM
I like the Alaskan. It's a 454 Casull Snubby. Plus it's cool to me that you can step down to 45 Colt and have fun shooting those in it too.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
January 8, 2007, 11:31 PM
I scratched my head on this one until I remembered that Hollywood defines what's cool, not logical thought and practicality. How silly of me.

steelhead
January 8, 2007, 11:42 PM
I don't think one is really anymore "cool" than the other. However, those that have Deagles usually have a very characteristic and "special" look about them.

I'd vote for the Alaskan but I'm closer to 40 than 30 so that may help in you deciding which is cooler:D .

Shootcraps
January 8, 2007, 11:56 PM
The Eagle wins. I had one in polished hard chrome and it WAS the shiznet. At the range, the men wanted to shoot it, and the women wanted to make love to me.

AJD
January 9, 2007, 12:24 AM
If you don't understand the appeal of a Desert Eagle...then you never will.

I have a bright blue S&W 29-2, a royal blue Colt Python, a high polished carbona/color case hardened USFA SAA, a Colt Gold Cup Trophy and several other classic, reliable and functional handguns. Its not about knowing what's "practical".

The Desert Eagle fills its own niche and is cool as hell. If you think the Desert Eagle is waste of metal then you probably have a bottle of Geritol in your medicine cabinet and think the only people who would like a Desert Eagle are "ganster" wanna-be's who have played to much Counter-Strike or saw The Matrix one too many times.

highlander 5
January 9, 2007, 12:41 AM
Desert Eagle BUT in Titanium Nitride that's cool

wooderson
January 9, 2007, 12:43 AM
Didn't get the aesthetic appeal of the DE in the first place, understood it even less after shooting a friend's (.50).

MrDig
January 9, 2007, 12:44 AM
Wow actually thinking about what's cooler? Make sure you get a holster to match your shoes.

HighVelocity
January 9, 2007, 01:03 AM
.454 Ruger Alaskan in stainless

I'd go with the Ruger. It's both cool AND useful. The DE is neat to look at but it's not really any fun to shoot imho.

19-3Ben
January 9, 2007, 01:54 AM
The .44 mag. DEagle.

A revolver shooting a revolver round is one thing. A semi-auto doing it is truly unique. You can always chamber a big round in a large framed revolver with a short barrel. Is it cool? yup. is it overwhelming, or a feat of engineering? not so much. Just a scaled up version of the "same ole'"

It was a great technical feat however, to build a D.E., and is still pretty cool from a mechanical standpoint today. As someone who appreciates what it takes to make a gun, and recognizes the attraction to the mechanism...well, the DE wins hands down. It's much more "cool" than any overgrown snubby. And this from an unquestionable, card carrying wheelgun fan.

Stachie
January 9, 2007, 01:58 AM
The revolver is hardcore and practical with regard to big game hunting; however, the Desert Eagle is much cooler for range and mirror posing applications.

C-grunt
January 9, 2007, 01:00 PM
Ive never fired either, but I would say the Eagle. Every one I have seen at the range has been pretty accurate too.

MCgunner
January 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hey, if you get a Desert Eagle for coolness, at least get the .50AE version.

Me, I like revolvers and Rugers.

SeanSw
January 9, 2007, 02:06 PM
Voted Ruger Alaskan. None of these will be cheap to shoot but at least you can have your choice of ammo for the Ruger, and not be restricted to a pet load that works reliably in the .44 Desert Eagle.

Of course, I think the Smith Model 10 is more cool than the DE too :)

strat81
January 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
As a former Counterstrike junkie, my vote is for the Deagle. :cool:

McCall911
January 9, 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm too old and too poor to be cool anymore. :(

But if I wanted to boost my coolness just a little, I would go back with the .44 Mag Desert Eagle, especially with a bright finish. (I owned a blued version some years back. Good gun but heavy.)

almtiba
January 9, 2007, 03:24 PM
Desert Eagle.

If you could find, a "Desert Condor" would be bigger and red... :p

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

Zundfolge
January 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
Desert Eagles are SO passť :p

Between Hollywood, video games and rap videos the DE is played out.

salvador31c
January 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
i'd go with the Desert Eagle,
but i'm still to young and poor to afford either but a fellow can dream right?

hexidismal
January 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
Tough call, I opt out of voting on this one. I certainly wouldn't turn it down if someone wanted to GIVE me one of these, but neither one is anywhere near the top of my 'cool' or wish list. IMHO there are plenty of guns with a bigger cool factor.

Seven For Sure
January 9, 2007, 07:18 PM
Desert Eagle in .50AE would be the coolest. I've never shot one but I'd take it over the Alaskan. I have a 3" 629 and it's pretty cool at night with light bullets.

Sniper X
January 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
If you are one of the Disco Boys from the movie "Mystery Men" then get the Desert Eagle and have it gold plated...now that's cool! But if you aren't don;t you really want a gun that is practical, and beautiful and "cool"? I'm biased because I hate DE and think they are bling movie guns, and think the Smith model 29 is the "coolest" gun ever produced for a cool factor movie gun. Or get a nice Python and have it masterblued like mine is going to be. Then even gun lovers and haters who see it will be all ga ga over your "cool" gun.

Primersinmyshoe
January 9, 2007, 07:28 PM
The Alaskan is one mean looking wheel gun. Gangbangers and thugs have ruined the Desert Eagle for me. YMMV

Sniper X
January 9, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, bad movies like PReditor II ruined it for me, as did all the wannabe Gangstah movies as well.....I thought the Desert Eagle deal was passe when the movie SWAT came out and every body wanted a Springfeild 1911 with a lightrail and a Surefire!

The Ruger is way cool though, look at the killer crown on that puppie! I'm just surprised they didn;t make it in .480 ruger?!?!?!

gudel
January 9, 2007, 08:36 PM
Desert Eagle is the cool looking one, coupled with MK23 with all its goodies, then you'd be the coolest on the block.
You can't look look if you're holding a revolver. :D

Greg8098
January 9, 2007, 08:55 PM
As of this writing, the results were 50/50, so I guess for the tiebreaker I will go with the Alaskan .454. Just priced one today and it seemed pretty reasonable considering some of the other places that I have been. If the DE would have been about %40 percent less, then maybe, but a .454 is more powerful. Plus it I load it with .45 Colt +P from DoubleTap , I will still get near .44 Magnum ballistics.

mpmarty
January 9, 2007, 09:04 PM
Dead Eagle is worthless jewlery to me. Wont shoot cast bullets, Won't carry worth a darn, the Ruger makes practical sense and is flexible, useful and reasonably priced. Wouldn't pack a dead eagle if it was given to me, wouldn't turn down the gift mind you, great trade goods for mall ninjas.

hankdatank1362
January 9, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah, bad movies like PReditor II ruined it for me, as did all the wannabe Gangstah movies as well.....I thought the Desert Eagle deal was passe when the movie SWAT came out and every body wanted a Springfeild 1911 with a lightrail and a Surefire!

IIRC, I would have sworn those were Kimber TLE RL IIs.

But the Deagle is the coolest. The gold finish with the tiger strips is too pimped-out though. A chromed one would be nice. I like the idea of getting one in .44 mag, too... more ammo availability than .50 AE.

Anna's Dad
January 10, 2007, 05:14 PM
I'd rather have the Ruger, but I voted for the DE based strictly on your "coolness factor" critera :D .

Savage.250
January 10, 2007, 06:31 PM
That's a toss up. W would like both!

EdLaver
January 10, 2007, 06:55 PM
I would have to go with the Desert Eagle, thats just a cool :cuss: gun man!

don95sml
January 10, 2007, 07:17 PM
In my mind the word "cool" when applied to guns just doesn't compute. In my youth we used "cool" to describe many attractive things, but there never was an agreed definition of the term. These days I believe the appropriate word to describe a particulartly desirable, esthetically pleasing, gun design would be "elegant". In the "elegant" category I would include such designs as the Browning Hi-Power, the Beretta Cougar, and the Colt Diamondback. There are others. But then, what do I know - I'm 72, in an era that somehow equates age with being senile.

2TransAms
January 10, 2007, 07:29 PM
The DE screams, "I'm overcompensating", to me anyway.

At least the Ruger might be useful as a bear gun or something.

10-Ring
January 10, 2007, 07:35 PM
What would be cool is a Desert Eagle on your hip & that Alaskan as your back up SOB ;)

varoadking
January 10, 2007, 07:35 PM
Puleeeeeeeeeeze...neither...

Python or 1911 - now that's kewl...

2TransAms
January 11, 2007, 05:24 PM
OH YEAH. Varoadking nailed it. DE's a fad. Pythons and 1911s will live forever.

denfoote
January 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
YUCK!!!

Shoney
January 11, 2007, 10:02 PM
If you really really want kewl, try a Magnum Research BFR 45-70 Revolver, hung on a cartridge belt bristling with ammo.

Of course, your wont want to wear your cape and underoos when you sport the BFR.

2TransAms
January 11, 2007, 10:12 PM
BFR...Biggest Finest Revolver. Why do I think it really means something else?:evil:

Lightsped
January 23, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'd go for the Alaskan in 454. I am currently in the market for one of these....

Ala Dan
January 23, 2007, 07:43 PM
I voted for the Ruger; but the S&W 460 ES would be even more cool;
especailly with those bright yellow grips.:cool: ;) :D

Heck, it even comes with everything you need in a survival kit;
including a book on how to survive bear attacks~!

Now, what could be any "cooler" than that?

Fawkes
January 23, 2007, 09:07 PM
I've never been impressed by the Desert Eagle, so I'd have to go with the Ruger on this one.

Seancass
January 24, 2007, 12:31 AM
i cant really believe this thread is so close. on coolness, stictly coolness, few guns can compare to the DE. who cares how it shoots, or if it breaks wrists, or if you're compensating, its still a Desert Eagle.

on a side note, get the BFR.

strambo
January 24, 2007, 01:05 PM
I guess the crew you roll with would define which is coolest. My outside the box vote is for a Bowen Custom Ruger Redhawk Alpine package in .50AE (which is also prominently chambered in the DE ;)) Best of both worlds.

Bazooka Joe71
January 24, 2007, 02:42 PM
The revolver is hardcore and practical with regard to big game hunting; however, the Desert Eagle is much cooler for range and mirror posing applications.

D***IT Stachie, you just made me shoot pepsi out of my nose.:cuss:

Plink
January 24, 2007, 05:14 PM
Coolness factor? LOL geez. I don't think there is such a thing unless it goes by Hollywood definition that has the tacti-cool folks turning their AR-15's into rooney guns (http://www.thegunzone.com/rooney.html).

I've shot the Desert Eagle in .44 magnum and .50 AE. Originally I looked into it as a hunting gun, then as a wilderness sidearm. It really wouldn't have worked well for either and it's way too heavy. Shooting it is a chore, rather than a thrill.

I haven't shot the Ruger Alaskan but with a real barrel on it rather than that snub, it would be my choice simply because they make good revolvers and that's a fine choice of cartridge for hunting and bear defense.

Either of those guns strike me more as safe queens. A waste of money that could be spent on some other gun that would be a lot more fun to shoot. Dunno bout you, but I buy them to shoot them, not to show off and see how many "oh cool"s I get.

Barr
January 24, 2007, 05:34 PM
For the cool hand cannon factor a BFR in 30-30 would be nice. Inexpensive ammo and serious knockdown power. The Ruger Alaskan is still pretty cool though.

Barr
January 24, 2007, 06:09 PM
Duplicate Post please delete.

cosine
January 24, 2007, 06:12 PM
For classic cool, revo's rule.

Ruger Alaskan.

Greg8098
January 24, 2007, 09:54 PM
I originally meant to use the word "cool" to apply to the actual purchaser's opinion if faced with these two options at a gun shop, not necessarily the opinions of that person's peers :rolleyes: .

atavuss
January 24, 2007, 11:42 PM
Alaskan!
I had been looking for one for almost a year and when I happened to be in a local sporting goods store they had one in the showcase, I snapped it up quicker than you can say "Great Balls O Fire"! here is a video of the Alaskan with 240 gr. Magtech:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z18b4nTCV3w

Pumpkinheaver
January 24, 2007, 11:48 PM
I voted Desert Eagle just becaus eof all the movies it has been in. That adds to the coolness factor.

If you enjoyed reading about "Coolness Factor!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!