.44 Magnum vs. .454 Casull

PDA

Greg8098
January 9, 2007, 09:55 PM
Which of these rounds is the better stopper when it come's to deer size game? Any difference in accuracy?

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Magnum vs. .454 Casull" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
January 9, 2007, 10:07 PM
The deer will probably not notice the difference

Seeing how the .454casull is a bigger diameter at a much higher velocity, it obviously has more power.

Steve

bakert
January 9, 2007, 11:29 PM
Both have enough stopping power for deer. I voted .44 Mag for the simple reason it has about all the recoil many can handle and I include myself in this group. Also many good factory loads available in most places. The .454 is a fine hunting cartridge for the serious handgun shooter that can shoot it well enough to take advantage of it's power, but go to many stores and ask for .454 cartridges if you don't reload, and even if they know what you're talking about, they aint got 'em.

Ben Shepherd
January 10, 2007, 10:41 AM
In reality, if we're talking in the lower 48, the 44 is all you really need.

But the same can be said of the 308/30-06 vs. the latest ultra-killer-wacker-super-short magnum stuff in rifles.

Overall I say the 44 due to lower recoil, ammo avalibility, different platforms avalible, etc. It does enough, and is much more versitile with factory ammo.

Handloading just means pick your poison, do what you will.

alucard0822
January 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
I am an avid 44mag shooter and think this would be the better hunting cartride for deer, pig and most other large game, but a 454 can also fire 45LC the same way a 38SP cam be fired in a 357MAG. The 454 does have a harsh recoil, but not as bad as say a 480 or 500S&W and the ability to hand load plentiful 45 slugs from subsonic velocities all the way to near 2000fps gives it alot of versatility. It is not nececarily the best caliber for those that don't handload, but is a great platform for those that do, and the long range trajectory is amazing, a scoped pistol can easily achieve 6"groups at 200 yards with relatively little drop, even the most potent 44 starts to drop quickly after 100 yds. A CCW gun it isn't, but if camping in grizzly territory is your thing a 454 is a great choice

kludge
January 10, 2007, 11:33 AM
I'm going to work up a load for .454 that will approximate .45 Colt +P (Ruger/TC or FA). I think the the hot .45 Colt loads are plenty for deer.

The reason I have a .454 is because I want a Ruger Redhawk 5"-6" in .45 Colt with tight cylinders, like FA, et al, and until I get one I'm keeping the SRH in .454.

My first loads with 2400/300gr. XTP-M at the Hornady start load went 1600fps, with signs of pressure, FWIW. I'm trying Universal next.

MCgunner
January 10, 2007, 11:43 AM
I'm speechless that the .44 mag could even get ONE vote!:what: The .454 stomps all over the pip squeak .44! "Most powerful handgun ever made" my a.......:p These two ain't even in the same league. And, if you're worried about recoil, PRACTICE! Hunters have to be recoil tolerant, part of the game. Sure, the .44 mag is plenty for deer hunting, but the question is which is more powerful, not which one do you prefer for deer hunting, way I read it. There is absolutely NO DOUBT that the .454 is the better stopper. As for accuracy, that depends on the gun, really, and the Freedom Arms is a laser accurate revolver in any caliber. I don't own either caliber, but FWIW, I've found bigger calibers easier to reload for, especially with cast bullets. I like my .45 Colts a lot. :D

Ben Shepherd
January 10, 2007, 12:45 PM
MCgunner-

That was my point. If the 44 will go through an elk, going through it faster with the 454 doesn't kill it any deader.

You can argue the slightly bigger hole thing, but it's really not that great of an advantage. The particular slug design will have a bigger effect on wound channel diameter than the .023 difference in the base caliber.

Not arguing with you, as I own both. But in reality the 44 is just fine on any game that you can hunt with a pistol.

NORTEXED
January 10, 2007, 12:47 PM
My little brother traded into an Alaskan in .454, and I have to say untill I fired it, I didn't understand the awe for the cartridge. I am totally impressed. With a firm grip, the piece is extremely accurate, and not too unpleasent to shoot. It is a powerful gun, and while you might not want to run 200 rnds of .454 through it at the range, 50 were not that unpleasent, and did not leave me sore. The warm .45 Colt loads shoot like 38 spc. out of that thing, and are a joy to "Plink" with.

farscott
January 10, 2007, 01:35 PM
When I voted with my money, I went with the .454 Casull in the FA 83. But I have no intention of firing full-power .454 loads for deer. I hand load 300-grain bullets at about 1200 fps, essentially a hot .45 Colt load. Accuracy is amazing for me as I can keep on the vitals out to about 40 yards (the limiting factor being me) from a rest.

I prefer the larger diameter of the .454 to the .44 as diameter is a constant, as opposed to ever diminishing velocity. Does this mean I do not think .44 Magnum will work on a deer? Of course not. I know .44 Magnum will work on deer.

I made my decision because .454 gives me more levels of flexibility in case I decide to go after something bigger than deer.

MCgunner
January 10, 2007, 02:18 PM
MCgunner-

That was my point. If the 44 will go through an elk, going through it faster with the 454 doesn't kill it any deader.

You can argue the slightly bigger hole thing, but it's really not that great of an advantage. The particular slug design will have a bigger effect on wound channel diameter than the .023 difference in the base caliber.

Not arguing with you, as I own both. But in reality the 44 is just fine on any game that you can hunt with a pistol.

Buffalo Bore .454 360 grain LBT GC 1219 fps/1187 ft lbs out of a Ruger Alaskan. Source... http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm That's a sub 3" barrel. Forget bullet diameter and "wound channel", out of a long barrel, the .454 kills like a rifle with near 1800 ft lbs at the muzzle. Your average .44 can put up a little over a thousand ft lbs at the muzzle, a number considered minimal by riflemen. At 100 yards, your looking at maybe 700 ft lbs on target. That's an optimistic guess, actually.

Yeah, the .454 is a LOT more weapon than any .44 mag. Whether you need it or not wasn't the question as I read it. The .454 may not kill deader, but I'd put my money on it killing quicker with the extra energy it's packin'. ;)

Ohen Cepel
January 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
I voted for the .454 since you have more power and larger diameter IF you need it.

That being said I think the .44 is all the average guy needs in North America. We've really gotten carried away with power. Most guys I see at the range aren't very good shots yet they continue to pound away with what seems to be too much gun for them.

MCgunner
January 10, 2007, 02:46 PM
I totally agree that in the lower 48, the .44 is all you need. Heck, I don't own a .44, prefer my .45 Colt. Don't make it more powerful, but it is all you need.

The .454 is probably in a better setting in a shoulder holster of a salmon fisherman in Alaska, probably why Ruger named it "the Alaskan". There ain't nothin' around here I need a .454 for. :D

highlander 5
January 10, 2007, 02:51 PM
Most people would find the 44 mag recoil is as much recoil that they can manage. Granted the 454 is vastly more powerful BUT what good is a pistol for hunting etc if your going to say to yourself"OH MY GOD THIS IS GOING TO HURT" with teeth clenched and eyes closed every time you pull the trigger?

BigG
January 10, 2007, 03:09 PM
The 44 Magnum comes in a classic S&W pinned and recessed wheelgun. The 454 Casull, either a single action or a Pillsbury doughboy-looking Double Action. Decision: 44 Magnum! :D

BigFatKen
January 10, 2007, 04:50 PM
I'm speechless that the .44 mag could even get ONE vote!

About the practice, I practiced with my T/C 7mm Waters shootng 120gr bullets over 35 gr of 4064 and before I went through the second box of 100, I had a piece of me floating around under my skin between my right thumb and forefinger. That little experience took years to go away.

The .44 MAG is plenty for deer.

Ala Dan
January 10, 2007, 04:58 PM
I to, voted for the .44 magnum; as its plenty big enough, and has enough
horsepower to down most whitetails provided you do your part~!:uhoh: :)

MCgunner
January 10, 2007, 05:17 PM
I still fail to see how did.....

Which of these rounds is the better stopper when it come's to deer size game? Any difference in accuracy?

...become...

What caliber to you like better, .44 mag or .454 Casull and why?

:rolleyes: :D But, whatever.:D I guess the answer that the .44 Mag is better cause I can't hit squat with that mule kickin' .454 is reasonable. After all, a .44 in the lungs is a lot better than a gut shot with a .454. I can see that reasoning.

BTW, I don't use either. I have a .30-30 Contender for deer huntin'. :D

db_tanker
January 10, 2007, 05:21 PM
you can't walk into Wally World and get Casull ammo.

cast my lot for the 44.

Ben Shepherd
January 10, 2007, 05:35 PM
Ok, last try.:D

On deer size game either is plenty, period. In fact both are actually overkill at thier effective ranges (I'm talking out to around 150 yards max here). As far as inherent accuracy is concerened, the 44 magnum is known for very good to excellent accuracy in several manuals, and by several well known handgunners. The casull is known for power, period.

Yes the 454 can be very accurate with a good platform, a good load, and a good shooter, no question.

But with game the size of deer I'd say the 454 is overkill by a pretty fair amount, even on 300lb mulies, let alone 150lb whitetails.

Bula
January 10, 2007, 05:36 PM
Anything over 44 mag or some 45 colt loads seems, to me, more for the 'coolness factor' about 99.9% of the time. By that I mean, I'f i were guiding fishing trips in Alaska, you can bet I'd have a 4" .500 SW mag on my person. I just don't really see any added benefit in the lower 48 from the Super Duper rounds (.454, .480 .475 etc.) There is a point of diminishing return far below what these rounds are capable of. I'm not sure sure any deer can tell the difference between a .430" 310 gr hard cast round and a .454" 400gr. round when both completely penetrate it from most shooting angles. That being said, I really like those .480 Ruger Alaskans!

BigFatKen
January 10, 2007, 07:13 PM
MCgunner

:

...become...

:
What caliber to you like better, .44 mag or .454 Casull and why?

But, whatever

MC is right. However if you can't tell if a .300 mag is a better stopper than a .30-30, then you can't read. However, if you meant, "what is the better of the two for deer, then, you have a question.

BigG
January 11, 2007, 02:58 PM
the 'coolness factor'

:cool: That's right! :cool:

Watch Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (http://www.epinions.com/content_112696069764) if you want to see a hilarious shootout with a single action .454.

Ben Shepherd
January 11, 2007, 03:04 PM
"NOBODY learns on a converted 454!"

"I did.":D

mike83
January 11, 2007, 09:16 PM
My vote goes to the .454 all the way. I just got my Raging Bull yesterday with an 83/8" barrel. Recoil with a 240 grain CorBon bullet is no where near what I expected, either I am much more recoil tolarant than I thought or there are alot of limp wrists out there trying to shoot a big gun when they need to stick with a .357 and think it is mean!!

MCgunner
January 11, 2007, 10:05 PM
Well, if you're going to buy one or the other, why not buy the .454 and use Buffalo Bore's .45 Colt hot loads in it for deer hunting? Then, you essentially have a .44 Magnum unless or until you're in grizzly country and decide the .454 might just kill a little quicker and that might just be the edge you need. You can shoot .45 Colt in your .454. That gives you everything from cowboy loads to romp 'em stomp 'em elephant killers for one gun. I mean, and they call the .357 Magnum "versatile"?????:D

Of course, I reload about everything I shoot and even cast my own bullets. I don't rely on WallyWorld for pistol ammo. If that's a consideration and you live in podunk like I do, 35 miles from a decent gun store, you might figure the .44 is the king. :D Even .45 Colt factory loads cost more than .44 mag, let alone .454 Casull.

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Magnum vs. .454 Casull" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!