Win. 30-06

PDA

AXEL
May 30, 2003, 12:39 AM
I bought a Winchester pre-64 30-06 and want to get better groups out of it. I am getting 3-4 in. groups at 100 yd. What are some things that a local gunsmith can do to increase accuracy, but also leave me with some money? The trigger is going to get worked on this weekend.

AXEL

If you enjoyed reading about "Win. 30-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hps1
May 30, 2003, 12:58 AM
Your rifle should do much better than that with good ammo and proper bedding, assuming the barrel is good.

First, try loosening the screw under the forend....the one just below the barrel bulge. I have a pre-64 '06 that shoots moa groups but wouldn't do so until I removed that screw completely.
You can experiment w/different tensions on this screw as each rifle is different. Also check your action screws. The front & rear screws should be pretty snug, but center screw just tight enough to hold trigger guard.

Not sure what ammo you are using. If factory, get some Federal premium w/the Sierra match king bullets. If this combination won't shoot, you may have to have the rifle bedded. Removing barreled action from stock can tell you a lot. Look for shiny spots showing where barrel/action are contacting stock.

Regards,
hps

Forgot to mention scope mounting screws. Be sure all are tight. Any movement here will give you problems as well.

Cactus
May 30, 2003, 01:24 AM
Have him check and re-crown the muzzle if necessary.

Clemson
May 30, 2003, 09:39 AM
Winchesters usually benefit from Glass Bedding the action.

Clemson

Bottom Gun
May 30, 2003, 12:56 PM
Have you tried different types of ammo? Some rifles do better with certain brands than others.

What about the bore? Is it copper fouled? I'd make sure all the copper was out of the bore before I started modifying the rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Win. 30-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!