S&W Revolver Look Up by Serial Number

PDA

skddmorse
January 10, 2007, 09:54 PM
Hello everyone. My father past away last year and when we were cleaning out some things I found an old Smith and Wesson revolver. I would like to know the model and when it was made if anyone can help me. I would appriciate it.

The number 133940 is stamped on the bottom of the hand grip and on the revolver chamber. On the top of the barrel there are several dates and it says S&W and springfield something...

If anyone could help me I would appriciate it...

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Revolver Look Up by Serial Number" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skddmorse
January 10, 2007, 10:08 PM
Here is a picture.. Also I have this in two spots because I did not know were to put it.. Sorry...

hexidismal
January 10, 2007, 10:13 PM
Double Post
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=247080

skddmorse
January 10, 2007, 10:15 PM
I know it is a double post.. I said that above.. Which area should this type of thread be in? I am new on here and just want to find out about this gun.

Thanks for the help?

hexidismal
January 10, 2007, 10:56 PM
Hi skddmorse, welcome to THR. It wasn't my intention to make it seem as though you did something wrong with the 'double post' comment. This is just the sort of thing we do around here, for everyones mutual benefit, yours included. If a thread is double posted, then discussion and therefore knowledge would be split. I think either sub-forum would have been appropriate, but as you can see from the responses, you are more likely to get faster answers in the revolver forum. Thats why I referred this one to that one. Also , pointing out a double post allows the moderators to determine where they think a post belongs, and move things around accordingly.

deadin
January 11, 2007, 10:22 AM
You didn't mention the caliber (.38 or .32), but from the cylinder flutes it appears to be a .38. If so serial 133940 would be a S&W .38 Double Action
3rd Model made from 1884 to 1895 in serial range 119,001 to 322,700.

Dean

potch
March 3, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hi folks. My father gave me a 38 that belonged to his father. He remembers my grandfather having it in the 20's. I would appreciate any help in the ID. 38 S&W CTGE. 136353. Also engraved with Harrington and Richardson Arms Co. Worcester Mass U.S.A. Thanks in advance!

rcmodel
March 4, 2009, 01:02 PM
That would be a Harrington & Richards revolver then, not a S&W.

I have no serial number info on H&R because there has been very little collector interest in them over the years and I doubt anyone has done the research.

Due to no collector interest, the value is also low. This one here will probably not sell for the $89 buck asking price.
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9025820

rc

potch
March 4, 2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the reply...But I'm confused. It clearly has "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co Worcester Mass U.S.A" engraved on the top of the barrel and "38 S&W CTGE engraved on the side". Sorry to be a pest.

Radagast
March 6, 2009, 06:23 AM
.38 S&W cartridge is a specific round, a short .38 caliber round designed for use in early top break revolvers. Dating back to the 1870s, it was originally a black powder round, later updated as a low pressure/low velocity smokeless powder round. It is not as powerful as the later .38 special.

So H&R made your revolver, chambered for the .38 S&W round and marked the revolver as such.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Revolver Look Up by Serial Number" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!