Why I carry a P7-PSP

PDA

Peter M. Eick
January 11, 2007, 06:57 PM
I know this is not very "gunny" of me and defiantly not that tactical. Also, I will probably get berated by a bunch of folks because I am not following all of the tactical rules about rotating the ammo or practicing everything.

I carry this P7-PSP. I don't shoot it often, but I carry it a bunch. It has been shot enough to prove itself and is 100% reliable. Actually, I have not shot the gun since 11/7/2004. I just carry it and don't worry about it. I admit it. I do clean the lint out of the gun occasionally.

Seeing as I have not shot my carry gun or ammo in two years I decided to try it out. Sort of a "I wonder if it works?"

So, what to do with 50 rnds of 9mm Golden Saber. Here is the 50 shots at 15 yards with some minor effort to keep make a good target.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eickpm/psp_15yrds.jpg

How comforting.

No jams, no failures, good accuracy, reliable and easy to shoot.

Yep, clean it up load it up with the other box of Saber's from the same lot and back in the holster. Maybe I will shoot it again in 2009.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why I carry a P7-PSP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
usp9
January 11, 2007, 07:26 PM
That's why we love 'em. :)

10-Ring
January 11, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, tough to deny the P7 line up its props! :cool: Nice shooting ;)

Oh, here's a pick of my hard chromed P7M8 ;) Love mine too!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r208/10-Ring/P1040068.jpg

Peter M. Eick
January 11, 2007, 07:50 PM
I think it must just be a P7 kind of thing. I have not shot any of my PSP's in a few years (I know the shame of it! :eek: ). So to be able to pick up my carry gun and let 50 rounds rip off with no problems or the like is somewhat impressive to me. But then again, I would never have gone a couple of years without shooting the gun if I was really worried about it.

PSP's just instill confidence.

Out of my 4 PSP's I have never had a broken part or a problem that was not caused by the operator (meaning trying to shoot lead reloads out of a PSP, idiot thing to try and do).

Its times like this that I wonder why folks buy other guns......

CWL
January 11, 2007, 08:08 PM
Show off! But it is the same reason why I won't let go of my PSP, M8 & M13.

Mine also like Golden Sabers.

HSMITH
January 11, 2007, 08:35 PM
Peter, nice gun and very nice shooting! I don't really care for the gun too much, but it obviously works well for you and that is what really matters.

Optical Serenity
January 12, 2007, 03:21 AM
Great gun for carry, my P7M13 will soon have more time in the holster...

Jackal
January 12, 2007, 03:25 AM
Ok, I have been seeing this gun around here on THR for a while now. What makes it so special??? I notice it's very expen$ive and horribly ugly. I am really wondering, why is it so ultimate?:confused:

foob
January 12, 2007, 03:49 AM
horribly ugly

Blasphemy!!!

mete
January 12, 2007, 04:43 AM
M10 makes a bigger hole !! ...P7s are popular because they are extremely reliable and durable ! There are many design features that make it so.

Coronach
January 12, 2007, 04:56 AM
Yeah.

I would carry my P7 if I was allowed to do so. In a heartbeat.

I ambled by the range one day, immediately after purchasing the gun from a fellow THR member. I was hoping to get some trigger time, but it turned out that they were running qualification relays. I was about to leave when an ordnance officer said that there was a free slot in the next relay, and I could run the qual course with the P7 (of course, it would not count, but I could at least shoot it).

So, I hop in the relay. Now, the best I had ever shot with my duty gun, a S&W 4506, was 299 (out of 300), and I had only managed that feat a few times. So, I was quite happy with the perfect qual score I got with the P7, the very first time I shot it. :scrutiny:

And, I can't carry it. Le sigh. :uhoh: My loss, my wife's gain. ;)

But yes, I can easily see someone shooting a nice group like that, after not having shot it for a while. :cool:

Pilot
January 12, 2007, 06:53 AM
The P7 series is heavy, comparatively low capacity for its size and has an unusual manual of arms. However, it is also compact, accurate, reliable and built like a tank. My P7M8 and BMI P7PSP are two guns I will NEVER sell. The PSP is a regular carry piece.

Peter M. Eick
January 12, 2007, 08:34 AM
Jackal,

They are special because they are reliable, compact, accurate, built like a tank, heavy (make a heck of a beater stick when empty), and most importantly easy to shoot well. Finally they are the ultimate safe gun to have around kids or around the house. Drop it, release your grip, or do anything it goes safe. It is too heavy for most young kids to kick and hold. Think about it, no safety's or nothing. Just squeeze and shoot. Having dropped that gun once, I did not worry about it going off, but I was quite concerned about the dent it left in the floor! :what:

Or look at it this way, like Coronach said, if you put down your carry gun for the next two years and shot nothing like it (I have been on a double action revolver kick for the last two years), how would you do on a 15 yard target for your carry ammo?

I would venture to say that most shooters with most "average" handguns would have some problems with the first few boxes of ammo.

Besides. At the range it drove the guy next to me up the wall when I shot that group. He asked me about it during target change and when I said I had not shot the gun for over 2 years he looked disgusted at his shotgun pattern target with his name branded gun and cleaned up and went home. :D

Blakenzy
January 12, 2007, 12:34 PM
So, what some of you guys are saying is that you own one or more of these fine pistols and never shoot them?!? :eek:

That, my dear friends is a crime in itself :rolleyes:

Peter M. Eick
January 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
Why?

I still have 3 of them. One is a safe queen because it is registered to H&K in my name and I bought it new. The middle one is the carry gun, and one is a European release and is the most accurate one I own.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eickpm/3p7s.jpg

Just because they are great shooters, it does not mean I want to shoot them. I would much rather (right now) spend some time with either my 357 Maximum or a nice 38/44 Heavy Duty in 38 special.

The PSP is a tool to me, it is my carry gun. It has elegance, function, and form, but it is still a tool. The P7 is (in my opinion) the most misunderstood handgun out there. I never figured it out why folks have such an issue with it. :rolleyes:

mete
January 12, 2007, 02:18 PM
Misunderstood ??? The little purple slide version with the european mag release is a perfect example.Many spend their time bad mouthing the release on the butt. Most fail to understand that the P7 butt release is pushed FORWARD not backward as do the rest ! During an IPSC match I had an RO shake his head in disbelief as he watched me reload as fast as any 1911 !! He KNEW it couldn't be done but he watched it !!

Lone_Gunman
January 12, 2007, 02:23 PM
I think the P7 is a nice pistol, but I got rid of mine a while back for a few very specific reasons.

First, it has an unusual manual of arms, which I think might get confusing unless you carry it exclusively. Maybe this is an imagined problem, but it was enough for me not to ever get comfortable carrying it.

Second, I found it carried oddly for me, even in good holsters. Specifically, the grip is large compared to the barrel and slide, and this always seemed to be pulling the gun in the direction of the grip. It never came out of the holster, but it would shift.

I am not flaming the P7. Its very accurate, and mine was totally reliable, it just didnt work for me.

foob
January 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
Second, I found it carried oddly for me, even in good holsters. Specifically, the grip is large compared to the barrel and slide, and this always seemed to be pulling the gun in the direction of the grip. It never came out of the holster, but it would shift.

You mean the holster would shift? That doesn't make sense with a gun belt.

Or you mean the gun in the holster would shift? That doesn't make sense with a good holster.

Dobe
January 12, 2007, 04:15 PM
The P7 is a good handgun. It takes time to adjust to it. Sometimes, if I am not applying the proper grip, the squeeze-cocker disengages. That would be my fault, not the P7's. If I trained with it more, I would eliminate this problem.

Dobe

CWL
January 12, 2007, 10:19 PM
foob,

If you take a closer look at the P7, you will notice very little "gun" forward of the trigger. This makes most of the mass behind the trigger, which is hard to balance in a holster (but not in the hand).

Because most holsters (not flapped) hold a pistol using the surface area forward of the trigger, standard design holsters can have a hard time gripping enough P7 to safely secure it due to center mass being way outside of the holster. Many holsters sold for the P7 (including custom ones) are just standard design holsters sized to fit a P7 profile -they simply do not work well at all.

A use a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II, which is a very popular design for P7 owners and holds them very securely (even my P7M13).

Joshuaw
January 12, 2007, 10:38 PM
OK,

I will ring in. Long time lurker. First post.

I have a 1911, which I carry. Kimber Warrior. Love it.

I have a S and W model 36, which I carry when I can't carry the 1911. (pocket carry or on the motorcycle in my jacket).

With that said... I have a P7M13 and I am BY FAR most accurate with that weapon. I love it. Got it many years ago when the USPP converted to them as their duty sidearm. I would LOVE to carry it and am currently looking for gunleather (or ballistic) for it. I am open to any and all suggestions. Shoulder rig is impractical for me. I live and work in a warm weather climate. I ride my motorcycle year-round and would much prefer to have 14 rounds at my disposal rather than 5.

Thanks in advance.

JW
Tampa, Florida

shooter71
January 12, 2007, 10:47 PM
i remember reading a story once about a shop owner that carried one and was robbed and the bad guy got the gun away from him but did know how to work it and wasnt gripping it tight enough for it to for it to shoot and the store owner had time to get his back up .357mag under the counter and blast the the perp in to oblivion

after reading that i have been intrigued by the P7 ..if you dont know how to work it..that could turn out to save your life..and luckily for this man it did

Lone_Gunman
January 12, 2007, 11:12 PM
Foob,

CWL did a much better job than me describing the problem of holsters for the P7. Most holsters from even very good makers will not hold a p7 well. The Milt Sparks is supposed to be the exception.

foob
January 13, 2007, 05:08 AM
Yeah that's what I thought, bad holsters.

Or you mean the gun in the holster would shift? That doesn't make sense with a good holster.

I have a del fatti IWB right now, works great. I think kydex holsters should be fine too with tension screws.

Lone_Gunman
January 13, 2007, 09:49 AM
It depends on what you are calling bad holsters. Everything I put the P7 in was a good holster, they just didnt hold the gun well because of the way the P7 is shaped. The same holster made for a 1911 would hold a 1911 fine.

The shape and weight of the P7 makes holster selection limited. There are not many Kydex choices for the P7 either.

I don't doubt the del fatti holds it ok, and so does the Milt Sparks, but you are not going to go down to your local gun store and find either of these on the shelf. Good leather can be had for the p7 but you are going to have to work to get it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why I carry a P7-PSP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!