Need input on next choice of gun..

PDA

silent knight
January 13, 2007, 02:46 PM
I finally decided to buy a 45acp, but a loaded 1911 is way off my price range so i decided to get something practical. I know.. i know, why not get a GI. Well, from what i heard, you need to take it to a gunsmith to make some changes.

I narrowed it down to 2.. an XD-45 or the Ruger P345. I held and shot them both the other day and couldnt make up my mind. What are the ups and downs with these two? The only bad thing i heard about the p345 is that you cant shoot it without the magazine attached to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need input on next choice of gun.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 13, 2007, 02:56 PM
When I got my 1st 45 acp pistol, I just bought the one at the best price off my list and started shooting. After a while you develop the ideas of what you like or what you want in your 45 acp pistol - and then get the one most suited to what you're looking for...good luck on your quest ;)

possum
January 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
well, i will suggest the xd like i do to all, first and foremost. here is why.
1) xd has the capicty department. more rds of .45acp is a great thing and it all fits in a nice size package.
2) alot more after market parts, equipment and accessories for the xd's since they ave became so popular.
3) sa has a great customer service and warranty i know for sure. i don't know about ruger.
4) i prefer the dao to the da/sa pistols, i never have liked da/sa at all.
5) the xd dosen't have a magazine disconect safety.
6) the xd .45's offer more variations, ie size, colors etc.
7) the xd has a grip safety which i like.
8) the xd's come with the xd gear.

that is all i can think of right now, there are others but i don't know the p345 all that well so i will leave it at that.

I will tell you though when i got back from Iraq and was in the market for a handgun i had narrwed it down between the ruger p345 and the xd, and i took a chance and decided to go with an xd, at the time the .45's weren't out in the xd's but i got the .40 service model, i love .40 anyway so why not right. i am not sayig the p345 isn't as good as the xd's but i can tell you from expereince that the xd's are squared away and will last you a long long time, they are reliable, durable, dependable, accurate and great fun to shoot.

i know one guy who has a p345 and he really likes it, he of course dosen't shoot nearly as much as myself, he just really isn't into shooting all that much, but out of the 300 or so rds that he has shot in it he has no issues out of the gun.

so in conclusion they are nice; both of them but i would take the xd all day long there are just to many pro's and no con's with the xd for me! good luck and let us know what you decide! Thanks!

tbtrout
January 13, 2007, 03:58 PM
The XD is a fine pistol. If you wanted a 1911 do not be scared by price.There are some affordable ones out there not much more than an XD. It is cheaper than settling on one then buying one after. Then again, that would give you two fine guns:) I have both and am happy with each.

possum
January 13, 2007, 04:39 PM
The XD is a fine pistol. If you wanted a 1911 do not be scared by price.There are some affordable ones out there not much more than an XD. It is cheaper than settling on one then buying one after. Then again, that would give you two fine guns I have both and am happy with each.
If a 1911 is what you are after and on a budget i would say check out the taurus pt1911, they can be had in the blued models for not much at all, and from everything i have heard and read they are very pleased owners of them out there.

longeyes
January 13, 2007, 04:45 PM
I'd add the Glock 30 to your list. Definitely one of the best handguns I own.

redneckrepairs
January 13, 2007, 04:51 PM
Out of the choices you gave i would pick the xd .

Why not get the mil spec 1911 tho and have the joy of over the years ( as time and money allows ) building your personal dream gun ? The mil spec will normaly feed and function fine with hp ammo , the gunsmith things are things that make it nicer to use or more " tacticool " depending on your selection process for mods .

joneb
January 13, 2007, 05:31 PM
I'm still waiting to see one in person, I think the price will be competitive with Glock and the XD http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF020&gid=FNG001&cid=FNC01

camacho
January 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=59&category=Pistol

As folks suggested previosuly, go for the 1911 if that's where your heart is. The PT is very affordable and by most accounts a great gun for the price.

Check these reviews here:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/pt_080505/index1.html
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Handgun%20Review%20of%20Taurus%201911%20&%20Ruger%20P345.htm

Also, the latest issue of COMBAT HANDGUNS has favorable review on the PT1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need input on next choice of gun.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!