Urban Hunting

PDA

EricTheBarbarian
January 13, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have lived in the city for the past few years now and do not live out in the country like I would like to. However, I can still easily hunt in the city I just have to use a different technique. Instead of hunting with my rifle or shotgun I simply have been using a steel pipe.
While living in the city in college I kind of picked up the hobby of dumpster diving. From time to time I would see raccoons and oppossums sitting in there eating. So i decided to come up with a way to hunt these animals. I just look in all of the dumpsters that I know are likely to have food and when I see an animal in there enjoying a meal I just club it with the pipe. I have gotten more huge animals hunting like this than I ever did when I lived in the country. Ive got a freezer full of coon and oppossum and pelts covering half of my small living room wall.
You'll have a hard time getting as big of an adrenaline rush as you do when you are fighting game animals hand to hand with a pipe. You will be surprised how much wildlife there actually is in the middle of the city. I have not gotten biten as of yet but I have had some close calls and a few animals getting away. I am wondering if anyone else on here has hunted animals like this and if you haven't tried it I reccommend you do. Ill be interested to see what gets posted on here:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Urban Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rembrandt
January 13, 2007, 04:28 PM
So much wrong with your senario.....don't know where to start.

- Probably violated at least several state game laws (out of season) plus the local city codes.

- no hunting or trapping license. (Fur bearers license?)

- Some states restrict hunting within so many yards of a residence.

- Could be charged with animal cruelity by beating critters. (Local TV and animal rights groups would love this story)

- Risk of rabies is higher in urban areas.

- carrying a weapon (yes it's only a steel pipe, but intent to kill makes it a weapon).

EricTheBarbarian
January 13, 2007, 04:29 PM
I should have clarified. I have a current hunting license and a fur bearer permit. It says no where in game regulations that it is illegal hunting that way. Coon and oppossum are currently in season right now. How is hiting them in the head any more cruel than shooting them?

Rembrandt
January 13, 2007, 04:55 PM
Don't know what state you're from....I suspect you're just trolling. In Iowa there is a list of permissible weapons that can be used for trapping & hunting, steel pipes are not on the list.

MCgunner
January 13, 2007, 04:55 PM
If it's all legal (I'm skeptical, usually a city ordinance) I guess I'm good with it. Bludgeoning a coon to death? I don't know, I guess some would call that cruel. I've shot a couple of nuisance coons off my front porch at my wife's insistence, but I really don't got nothin' against 'em and I ain't gonna eat one (I know they're edible, and maybe in a SHTF scenario I would). So, I don't hunt coons. I used to run trap lines for 'em back when you could bet 40 bucks for a pelt and 40 bucks was worth more than it is today. I don't see beating one over the head any more cruel than the spring trap. I popped 'em in the head with a .22 to put 'em out, but I mean, they were clamped in that trap for 12 hours sometimes.

I really don't get the reasoning here unless you're lookin' for survival food. I have lived like that before when I was in college and dirt broke, seined ponds for mud bugs, hunted rabbits and deer in season for food. But, it was in the country. But, at the time, meat was meat. To me anymore, though, hunting is about getting out in the wild, not so much about killin' something. Not much aesthetic about a dumpster in a city. :rolleyes: Think I'll take a pass on that one and keep hunting out in the country.

EricTheBarbarian
January 13, 2007, 05:06 PM
I live in Ohio. http://www.ohiodnr.com/WILDLIFE/regs/smallgame.htm.

Click the link and you can look at the regulations for small game hunting. I go to college in the middle of the city and since I cannot work full time because of school, I will continue to have very limited funds until I graduate at the end of the summer. The main reason I started hunting like this is just to get a free meal. I made sure I had a license and fur bearer permit in case I am ever stopped by an LEO while hunting like this. Ive had some pretty good sucess and I am just wondering if anyone else has hunted this way.

JAMES77257
January 13, 2007, 05:09 PM
Beating critters, I almost fell on the floor.:D

MCgunner
January 13, 2007, 07:16 PM
I remember what it was like to be hungry and going to school and not have two dimes to rub together, so I, for one, ain't blamin' you for doing what you gotta do to get some food on the table. Don't think I ever ate coon, though, and possums have to be the nastiest critters on the planet. Dude, you gotta be hungry to eat one of those things. ROFLMAO! But, I feel for ya. Trust me, in 20 years or 40, you can look back on these experiences with a smile.:D I probably woulda starved were it not for a deer I shot on my friend's dad's ranch my senior year. LOL! I guarded that venison from my roomates, too. They knew if they touched one piece of round steak, they risked life and limb. :what: :D

I didn't limit my scrounging to meat. I ate a lot of "yard greens", aka Dandelion greens and nopalitos (small prickly pear pads) as well as the fruits of the prickly pear, and I never missed a dew berry season in spring. Such fare is great and beats the HECK out of Ramen Noodles.

ETXhiker
January 13, 2007, 07:43 PM
Please don't feed the troll.

velojym
January 13, 2007, 07:55 PM
Of course, we must always follow the rules set by Big Daddy Gubmint...
Ya do what ya gotta do. If this guy's for real, if TSHTF, he'll be a lot
better off than those of us who either get our meat in cellophane at the market,
and still a bit better off than those of us who beg permission to hunt.
Besides, many 'hunters' I know cart their fat asses out on four-wheelers and
blast away with the rifle they rarely bother to sight in, and only shoot this time
of year anyway.

Lonestar.45
January 13, 2007, 09:03 PM
Didn't Ted Bundy start out that way?

B.D. Turner
January 13, 2007, 10:06 PM
Is possum just as good the second day? I believe that Ramen Noodles would be a better choice.

swampdog
January 13, 2007, 10:20 PM
I don't see anything wrong with hunting like this. I've killed rabbits, a groundhog and a couple of nutria with a framing hammer. Of course, I wasn't hunting at the time. They were more "targets of opportunity". Killing rabbits with a "rabbit stick" is an ancient method and should be productive in an urban area until the rabbits get educated. You throw the stick at the rabbits, btw.

I don't know if I'd eat anything I got out of a dumpster, even if I had to drag it out kicking and screaming and beat it to death with a steel pipe. :D I've eaten coon, but passed on possum. There are lots of bunnies in cities. They'll usually run a short ways, stop and turn around and look at you. The woods along interstates and the borrow pits they build the overpasses from usually have a large, resident population of bunnies (and deer, for that matter). These can be productive areas for airgun and bow hunting, too.

These rabbits are mighty tasty. They've got to be better than garbage fed coon or possum. Do yawl have skunks up there? My Mom's had problems with them getting in her trash in S.E. Va. I'd like to see you kill one of those with a pipe, from a distance, of course. :D

A country boy can survive.

Cosmoline
January 13, 2007, 10:37 PM
All I can say is, you're my new hero.

Bludgeoning a coon to death? I don't know, I guess some would call that cruel.

An urban coon is nothing but a giant, angry rat. If he was a little bigger and had the brain for it, he'd be beating you to death with a club in a heartbeat. Then he'd steal your car and your woman and go on a month long drunk with your credit cards.

JAMES77257
January 13, 2007, 10:58 PM
I beat my critter once a day if it needs it or not.:evil:

razorburn
January 13, 2007, 11:42 PM
This might well be a troll, but at hungrier times, I've actually been tempted by the variety of game I see on campus. I see several cottontails every night, and quail in the day. I just wouldn't know how to clean them, can't exactly take a dead rabbit into the bathroom and gut it.

Grumulkin
January 14, 2007, 09:51 AM
I guess some of you guys don't understand and/or appreciate a joke.

Rembrandt
January 14, 2007, 10:17 AM
I guess some of you guys don't understand and/or appreciate a joke.

If the original post was suppose to be a joke.....the author has about as much skill telling jokes as John Kerry.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/J/c/1/kerry_iraq_soldiers.jpg

MCgunner
January 14, 2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I've killed rabbits with rocks and a crecent wrench once.:D

Grumulkin
January 14, 2007, 12:27 PM
I never said the joke was skillful.

EricTheBarbarian
January 14, 2007, 06:13 PM
I am a little surprised that people think this is a made up post or a joke.

Please don't feed the troll.

You got it all wrong. Typing posts on here doesn't feed me, but this oppossum does.;)

I got this one behind an apartment sitting in a dumpster eating some leftover pizza last night. I put the hide in the feezer until I have some time to tan it. The oppossums are alot slower than the coons are. A few hours in the slow cooker and I'll have a nice meal for dinner tonight. It is kinda of like the old saying that goes, "Buy a man a sandwich at McDonalds and he eats for a day, teach him how to hunt critters in the dumpster behind McDonalds he eats for a lifetime." or something like that. That oppossum didn't believe for a minute it was a joke.:D

Kimber1911_06238
January 14, 2007, 06:21 PM
Watch out for rabies when ur wrestling with the critters. I would not be shocked if this was illegal...and definitely don't tell PETA or the Humane society. ASPCA sued a guy for beating a rat to death a few years ago.

ambush
January 14, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'd have to be pretty darn hungry to eat an opossom:barf:

Skunk, well now that's a different story!!

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 skunks -- skinned and cleaned
1 tablespoon salt
water to cover
2 cups bear fat or lard
2 egg yolks,beaten
3 cups milk or cream
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons baking pow

Clean and wash the skunks, making sure that the scent glands are removed. Cut
up into small serving pieces. Put a soup kettle on the stove and add the
meat. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the
heat and boil until the meat is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove all the scum
that rises to the surface. Make a batter by mixing together the egg yolks,
milk, flour, salt and baking powder. Mix real good until the batter is about
like cake batter. Heat the bear fat or lard in a deep fryer to about 360
degrees. Dip the pieces of skunk in the batter and then fry them until golden
brown. Drain well and serve. Yum, yum.

marksman13
January 14, 2007, 07:45 PM
Wow...Possum, it's what's for dinner. Hungrier than I am, but, if it's legal, more power to you. No more cruel or inhumane than blasting away at prairie dogs with a .308. At least he's eating what he kills.

jeepmor
January 14, 2007, 08:44 PM
All hunting legality topics aside, how does coon taste? I've heard it's really greasy.

MCgunner
January 14, 2007, 09:24 PM
I'd have to be pretty darn hungry to eat an opossom

I HEARD THAT!:barf: Gots ta be the nastiest animal in the woods. Think I could eat a rat first.

Kinda reminds me of Snuffy Smith...:D

H&Hhunter
January 14, 2007, 10:37 PM
Many trappers use a club to dispatch a critter after it's been caught. Sooooo I really don't see the difference here other than this is free range clubbing vs foot hold clubbing.

PS

Who gives two ****s what PETA thinks. Are we all forgetting that this is the same organization that was just caught dumping dead animals in dumpsters after they’d killed them at their various NO KILL shelters. The body count is somewhere over 10,000 kitties and puppies euthanised at PETA no kill shelters and then unceremoniously and illegally dumped into various city trash receptacles.

How can any one give any credence to these bastards after that little hypocritical money grubbing stunt?

B.D. Turner
January 14, 2007, 11:03 PM
Possum...The other white meat

Sistema1927
January 15, 2007, 08:54 AM
Me thinks that somebody couldn't wait until April 1st...

Grumulkin
January 15, 2007, 10:15 AM
You all will be very happy to know that possums are one of the most resistant mammals to rabies. I have quite a few coons, possums, rabbits, coyotes and skunks around here. If you're hungry, maybe I could mail you some?

swampdog
January 15, 2007, 05:11 PM
how does coon taste? I've heard it's really greasy.

As I've said before, how good coon tastes is in direct proportion to how hungry you are. I was extremely hungry the day I ate some. It was pretty good.

You can cure the greasiness by broiling or grilling. You can kill the musky taste with enough barbecue and hot sauce. Smells pretty good when it's cooking, too, unlike muskrat or nutria.

Game animals often take on different flavors, depending on what they've been eating. I wouldn't want to eat a bear I shot at the dump, nor a coon I clubbed in the dumpster. Possums eat garbage and carrion all the time. I wouldn't want to eat one of those, period. Next time you see a dead, swelled up deer, look at his belly. If you see a baseball sized hole in his gut, kick it or hit it with a stick. There's a good chance a possum will come out. I've seen it more than once.
YUM

Selfdfenz
January 15, 2007, 07:30 PM
By golly I remember being cold and hungry while wrapped in the loving arms of higher education but never that cold, or that hungry.

If you have the option to kick her up a notch on the food chain you might consider rabbits as a replacement to your current targets of opportunity. I may sound condesending, and I'm not shooting for that at all, but I guess if I was going to catch some form of infection from dinner I'd take Francisella over rabies every day of the week.

YMobviouslyVaries

S-

webuyhouses
January 17, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hi everybody, im new to this here website but i had to sign up and defend eric,

I have hunted with this man on many occasions.

I have the hide of the biggest, fattest city raccoon any of you have ever seen, much less beaten with a pipe, hanging on the wall at work.

I have eaten the coon stew, i have eaten the possum fajitas, I have eaten the tame rabbits that the neighbor released into the wild....

I was there.

Smokey Joe
January 18, 2007, 12:57 PM
Hey, guys, check yr history--During the Depression, rabbit, 'coon and 'possum was what kept some families alive. Not to mention armadillo and alligator. I understand that poached deer was mighty tasty, too.

In my locale, one of the Am. Legion posts supports its youth baseball program with a 'coon feed every January. Has been going on for more than 60 yrs. And BOY do they make a delicious roast raccoon! It's fun giving anatomy lessons with the bones, too--little kids are usually fascinated.

Can't speak personally abt 'possum, but, guys, meat is meat. And while I'm too young to have BTDT in the Depression, I certainly have BTDT as an impoverished college student. Roast porcupine over a campfire?? Yum!

Anybody who says "Ooh, I would NEVER eat that!" may not really know what Hard Times are.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 18, 2007, 01:34 PM
Thoughts of the Gollum(sp?) come to mind. The fat hobbit ruins it--we likes it fresh and raw-----what's taters???

Might want to take up bow hunting with a smaller kids bow so you don't have to get so close to a potentially rabid animal.

Legal or not--you are probabaly doing your town a favor by reducing the feral population.

Didn't a meal ticket come in the package for the dorm room???:D

ArmedBear
January 18, 2007, 01:42 PM
Ive got a freezer full of coon and oppossum

Woo-hoo!

BTW have you considered using throwing stars?

Cheaper than Dirt has one that folds up so you can keep it in your pocket.

NailGun
January 18, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yup. My hero.
You may need more than a pipe for this critter though.

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/large/HolyGrail177.jpg

RUN AWAY!!:D

webuyhouses
January 18, 2007, 06:09 PM
is that the fake bunny from monty python? *** i thought we were having a serious discussion about hunting strategies, not british (unfunny) comedy.

razorburn
January 18, 2007, 08:08 PM
I got this one behind an apartment sitting in a dumpster eating some leftover pizza last night. I put the hide in the feezer until I have some time to tan it.

If you've got leftover pizze to eat, why are you eating possums?:p

BIGR
January 18, 2007, 09:12 PM
Just call him the city exterminator, that rids the city of all those mean coons and possums. Do you ever try bbq sauce on them there possums? If you eat their brains it will improve your mental capacity by 25 % according to a study done at Troll University.

mohican
January 19, 2007, 04:11 PM
During a previous job I worked at a stamping/brazing facility in a medium/large city. We had various stamping dies stored at a defunct factory and would occassionaly have to go retrieve them/swap out with other dies.

This factory was also home to the homeless and transients. Retrieving dies from that dark, dungy factory reminded me of the movie Cyborg. We would take the forklift to the factory, take it to the appropriate floor on the freight elevator, and go get our dies. It was typical to see a campfire built on a metal plate on the factory floor, with various rodents being cooked. One of the homeless people asked why we put the dies in an unsecured building. Our reply was if they could move several tons of progressive die without machinery, they were welcome to it.

upon opening a dieset once we found a whole family of possums living in it. Survival in the urban jungle. been there, observed that.

carnaby
January 19, 2007, 06:08 PM
somehow this version of the food chain doesn't seem too apealing. Too much like I'm indirectly eating someone else's leftover pizza. When I was a poor college student, I just ate mac and cheese, or raman. At least you're probably getting more protien :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/hautlipz/yuck.gif

webuyhouses
January 19, 2007, 07:19 PM
btw it is pretty easy to find good food in the trash.

the best places are small grocery stores, mini-marts, and gas stations.

examples:
100 1-litre bottle cocacola from speedway
1 unopened case 100 tortillas from family dollar
1 unopened case expensive salad dressing from pharmx grocery
50 bags of bagels (sell by date) from hostess outlet
20 gallons 2% milk (tasted fine.. cold outside at the time) from northstar gas
60 lb wrapped saltwater taffy from pharmx grocery
15 trays bob evans breakfast sausage from pharmx grocery

no joke, this all stuff i recovered, and enjoyed

if a homeless person ever told you they need money for food, they are lying.
the only things i dont find in the dumpster are drugs and alcohol.

however: one time i found an unopened mikes hard cranberry lemonade in a bag of cans at the frat house!

ambush
January 19, 2007, 07:26 PM
My friend just gave me some last year deer meat from his garage freezer...I can't wait till tommorrow to make some chilli:)

imprezagm4
January 19, 2007, 08:45 PM
This thread is 100% funny, true or not. :p

ambush
January 19, 2007, 09:47 PM
webuyhouses - "however: one time i found an unopened mikes hard cranberry lemonade in a bag of cans at the frat house!"

Only one? Too bad, not even enough to get a buzz:(

H&Hhunter
January 20, 2007, 07:13 PM
btw it is pretty easy to find good food in the trash.

the best places are small grocery stores, mini-marts, and gas stations.

examples:
100 1-litre bottle cocacola from speedway
1 unopened case 100 tortillas from family dollar
1 unopened case expensive salad dressing from pharmx grocery
50 bags of bagels (sell by date) from hostess outlet
20 gallons 2% milk (tasted fine.. cold outside at the time) from northstar gas
60 lb wrapped saltwater taffy from pharmx grocery
15 trays bob evans breakfast sausage from pharmx grocery

no joke, this all stuff i recovered, and enjoyed

if a homeless person ever told you they need money for food, they are lying.
the only things i dont find in the dumpster are drugs and alcohol.

however: one time i found an unopened mikes hard cranberry lemonade in a bag of cans at the frat house!

webuyhouses,

So let me get this straight. Are you saying that you are a dumpster diving homeless person? With internet access and an interest in guns hunting no doubt?

Funny call sign for dumpster diver..:rolleyes:

hossfly
January 20, 2007, 07:18 PM
:confused:

I'm speechless. Really.

.45&TKD
January 20, 2007, 08:01 PM
Sounds like one or two notches above road kill.

Racktracker
January 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
I have to agree, this thread is laugh out loud funny.

I say what the heck...if these guys want to eat what the find in the trash, alive or dead, more power to them. Its a heck of alot better than starving to death. Even if they are not starving to death, it could be worse, they could be out stealing car stereos.

BTW ...have you guys considered alley cat? I hear its in season.

achildofthesky
January 21, 2007, 11:14 PM
OMG this is the funniest thread I've seen here. Some so serious, some so witty. Cosmoline you cracked me up (in a really good way ;->) I'd be screechin' with laughter but I am afraid my partner would beat me with my little baby seal club and tell me to shut the hell up, every body else is sleeping doncha know.

BTW, I do the fresh road kill thing for my pet Bobcat, puddin. She very affectionately thanks me for hunting for her... Skerlz, and wabbits and the odd chicken and turkeys that fall out of the poultry hauling semi's in Ar...

Thanks this thread made my night.

Patty

springmom
January 21, 2007, 11:18 PM
Ewwwwwwwwww. :barf: :barf: :barf:

Let me recommend ramen, Kraft mac & cheese, vegetable soup... Seriously, you are exposing yourself to all kinds of disease, and yes, you're taking a chance on rabies with the raccoons. Rabbits and squirrels are a definite step up if you really need to do this to get protein. Give over the dumpster diving; you're going to get too sick to GO to class...

Springmom, who now is off to find some Pepto-Bismol after reading this thread

Glockfan.45
February 10, 2007, 10:34 PM
Do you ever wonder if folks like Eric and WeBuyHouses :confused: are from anti forums just here to cause havoc?

tank mechanic
February 10, 2007, 11:44 PM
Do you ever wonder if folks like Eric and WeBuyHouses are from anti forums just here to cause havoc?

Yes these guys are here just to rile us up and so they can get their rockers off.

Art Eatman
February 11, 2007, 10:58 AM
Nuthin' like reduction of urban species diversity...

From the ridiculous to the sublime...

And so we leave our intrepid clubbers, slinking from dumpster to dumpster in search of yummy tasty leftovers...

Au 'voir...

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Urban Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!