Sling shot with wrist brace is illegal

PDA

jeep-2
January 14, 2007, 08:05 AM
http://www.slingshots.com/html/new-york-state-gun-laws.html

I was surffing around and came upon this NYS gun law, when i saw the picture i remembered that we had one with the wrist brace some where in the attic that one on the kids bought in a sporting good store about 10 yrs ago.
Does anyone know if they are illegal in any other state?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sling shot with wrist brace is illegal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jamz
January 14, 2007, 08:29 AM
Illegal in MA. (Shocker, huh?)

The Lone Haranguer
January 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
NY and MA. Hooda thunkit. :rolleyes:

Here (AZ) you are even allowed to have cops' impact weapons and "butterfly" knives. (I'm not sure about switchblades.) Not that I own any of these, but it's still legal.

Frog48
January 14, 2007, 09:28 AM
I had one of those as a kid. No idea if they're still legal here, but I'd hazard to guess that they're OK.

ReadyontheRight
January 14, 2007, 09:47 AM
"Wrist Rocket" :) Still have one we keep with the camping gear.

Autolycus
January 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
:rolleyes: I am surprised they are still legal here in Illinois. Imagine children with those things. It could be dangerous and horrible. Someone could lose an eye. Or a kid could get shot because the officer thinks it is a gun. Or they could start vandalizing houses with them. The horror of it all.:rolleyes:

I am sure that was the thinking that got them banned in the first place. Why do nanny states think about what others may do rather than what they do?

bakert
January 14, 2007, 09:58 AM
They're legal in Kentucky but not for any kind of hunting. In fact there is a paragraph in the hunting rules booklets put out by our Fish and Fame department that refers to this.

geekWithA.45
January 14, 2007, 10:03 AM
ANY slingshot is a felony in NJ. Even a forked stick w/ a rubber band.

tegemu
January 14, 2007, 10:15 AM
Legal in the Gunshine State - Fla.

gm
January 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
The wrist bracket makes it more deadly:rolleyes::D

They are ok in Ohio.I might still have mine that I used to wreck havok on the local pigeon population,some 25 years ago.

SDC
January 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
Isn't that where you mount the bayonet?

:banghead: :barf: :banghead: :barf:

SteelyNirvana
January 14, 2007, 11:23 AM
Legal here in NC.I picked one up at Wal-Mart last year.

Brian Craig

1911Tuner
January 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well...Everybody knows that the wrist brace makes the things deadly accurate and much more powerful. With steel ball bearings, they can hit a man in the head at 200 paces, and can probably penetrate body armor. Some terrorist could possibly shoot down airplanes with a Wrist Rocket! America doesn't need sniper/anti-aircraft/cop-killer slingshots! Ban them all, I say! It's for the children! It's for the whales!

:rolleyes:

Do the people who make up these ridiculous laws realize how completely silly they are being?

Don Gwinn
January 14, 2007, 11:47 AM
You laugh, but like most of the things I liked to play with as a child, these slingshots are pretty dangerous in the wrong hands. I used to do several miles a day up and down the railroad tracks zapping anything that looked like it might break or pop in amusing fashion.

Around here, the railroad tracks are littered with small round iron balls about the size of the steel bearings they sell as slingshot ammunition, but I had a big shoulder pouch so I wasn't tied to the tracks if I needed to roam. :)

dfaugh
January 14, 2007, 11:59 AM
Not surprising here in NY....Read the rest of the applicable laws...pretty much ANYTHING that remotely resembles a weapon is illegal. (and I find itammusing that they mis-spell shuriken ("throwing stars").

On the other hand, i don't think these laws are heavily enforced---I've "surrendered" my "butterfly" knives (carry one on each side) upon entering a federal building (forgot to leave them in the car), which are considered "gravity knives", and they were returned to me by the LEOs, upon leaving said building.

gm
January 14, 2007, 12:00 PM
tuner, They are legends in their own minds.:D :D

Imagine a sanitized "for the children" version out, its made of paper.

I can still go down to the local store and get a sling-shot for me or my 9 yr old son,matter of fact, bought my sons first bb gun there.I guess in some states, Im a felon for doing that.How ridiculous indeed.

All that is needed is parental supervision, not ridiculous laws.

mike101
January 14, 2007, 12:19 PM
You beat me to it. I didn't realize it was a felony, though. :barf:

1911Tuner
January 14, 2007, 01:03 PM
Don wrote:

>You laugh, but like most of the things I liked to play with as a child, these slingshots are pretty dangerous in the wrong hands.<

heh...Pretty much everything that I played with at that age was dangerous.
Firecrackers...M-80s...Barlow knives...Baseball bats...Mary Lou XXXXX...:evil:
...Red Ryder BB guns...and homemade slingshots were all menaces to the public on a given Saturday afternoon.

"You'll put your eye out with that thing!":D

Remind me to tell ya about all the trouble I got into with a homemade Biblical-type sling....aka "Goatherd's Sling." Talk about a weapon of mass destruction! Talk about range! WOW!

Frog48
January 14, 2007, 01:05 PM
ANY slingshot is a felony in NJ. Even a forked stick w/ a rubber band.

You've got to be kidding? A felony? Thats just plain ridiculous.

Travis Lee
January 14, 2007, 01:42 PM
It's only fun AFTER somebody loses an eye.

--Travis--

Kimber1911_06238
January 14, 2007, 01:47 PM
I live in CT and have heard many horror stories about MA gun laws, this doesn't shock me at all.

hagar
January 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
I lived in NY state for 5 years, and what bothered me the most was not the weapons laws, but the "you cannot do this" laws. You could not swim in the pool with no lifeguard, could not dare leave the trail in a state park, could not sit on the rocks, drink beer in a park, swim in the rivers, fish off the bridge, go outside the borders of the lifeguards, whatever. Then I moved to AZ and discovered freedom. Felt like that whole state belonged to me, within reason and using common sense I could go shoot where I wanted, hunt coyotes almost anywhere, camp anywhere, go offroading anywhere, and almost never even see any other people unless I brought them along. I loved AZ. Too bad "Indian Express" fired all their IT people and either outsourced it to India, or brought in Indian contractors. Freedom is not much fun without a job to pay for it. May the bastards rot in hell.

mike101
January 14, 2007, 02:18 PM
No, he's not kidding. I borrowed a post of mine from another thread:

ProgunninTN- Batons are illegal just to own, along with;
Slingshots
Blackjacks
Brass knuckles
Numchucks
Pepper Spray/Mace
Tasers
Knives with > 3" blades (illegal to carry)

They require permits for;
Airguns (air pistols require handgun permit)
Muzzle loaders
Crossbows

Now, if only they could find a way to make baseball bats illegal. I'm sure Lautenburg is working on it.

Gord
January 14, 2007, 02:21 PM
At least California ain't that far gone - yet...

Bigreno
January 14, 2007, 02:27 PM
Someone please explain to me why the people that live under these totalitarian regimes haven't taken up arms and stormed their state capitals.:fire: :cuss:

The Real Hawkeye
January 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
I remember when I was about ten back in '71 my father bought me one of those (Somehow, I managed to avoid killing anyone with it. Imagine that.). One piece of aluminum, with a padded wrist brace. Surgical tubing for the elastic part. Wish I still had it. It wasn't the folding kind they have today. That thing was made to last forever. Just needed new tubing from time to time. I got real good with it too. Maybe I'll see if I can find one like that again.

mike101
January 14, 2007, 03:09 PM
Quote:
"Someone please explain to me why the people that live under these totalitarian regimes haven't taken up arms and stormed their state capitals".

Arms? I didn't go into the rest of the incredibly lame
gun laws we have here. I'll give you just one example.

We have a law on the books that mandates smart guns. As soon as the first smart gun is available to the public, all other types of handgun will be illegal for sale in the Peoples' Republic. I kid you not. They are hoping that this takes care of the remaining gun shops that have not gone under yet.

People used to kick Mass. around for having ridiculous gun laws, but there is a new champion. I have not yet figured out why the PRNJ wants everyone to be totally defenseless.

Once, while I was in the process of moving, I was stopped for speeding. Along with a bunch of other junk I had in the car, I had an axe handle, which I used to put in the track of a sliding glass patio door, as a security measure. The officer confiscated it. It wasn't even one of those evil, black, assault-type, machine-axe handles, just a plain Ace Hardware axe handle.

This is NJ. "Come See For Yourself". :barf:

Kimber1911_06238
January 14, 2007, 03:43 PM
Good thing they didn't take you steak knives...

SniperStraz
January 14, 2007, 03:50 PM
I've seen them for sale in Walmarts in GA. I've had one since I was a little kid.

Long Knife
January 14, 2007, 03:53 PM
Now I'll have to go out and buy a wrist rocket and make it part of my PSK.

The Real Hawkeye
January 14, 2007, 04:02 PM
Mike, you should have carried a baseball bat in your car instead. Just as long as there's a mitt and a ball with it, you're good to go. What are they going to say, you can't meet some friends in the park for some practice?

RNB65
January 14, 2007, 04:03 PM
A couple of wrist rockets attached to the sidewalls of ye olde tactical wheel barrow along with the .22lr in front. I'd love to see that being pushed through the streets of downtown Boston. Oh, My!

:D

Vern Humphrey
January 14, 2007, 04:09 PM
Some day in the not-too-far-distant future we will see American troops going into combat with rubber suction cups on their arrows, and the Platoon Nannies following along behind saying, "You're going to put someone's eye out with those things! You're going to put someone's eye out with those things!"

Durruti
January 14, 2007, 04:53 PM

Just under the scope, between the laser and the Surefire light. :neener:

mordechaianiliewicz
January 14, 2007, 05:30 PM
The reason why the "people" have not stormed their state capitals is because the people largely support those stupid laws.

Notice that 9 out of 10 times we get mad at federal legislation, it is those of us from freer states mad at legislators trying to impose their tyranny on us from a far off less free state.

There are good reasons for this.

Freedom as many of us think of it is largely regional. While some New Yorkers, and Massachusetts' citizens believe in freedom, most (the vast majority there) do not.

Malone LaVeigh
January 14, 2007, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Just under the scope, between the laser and the Surefire light.

No, silly. The wrist brace allows the slingshot to be sprayed from the hip.

1911Tuner
January 14, 2007, 06:29 PM
The ones with the oversized, hi-cap pockets pose the real danger, allowing the terrorist to spray BBs and ball bearings all over the landscape. Nosir!
You can't run away from an Assault Wrist Rocket! They should be in the hands of the police and military only. I'm serious folks. You can't use'em for duck huntin' and you have no business with these frightening weapons.

Just imagine if every boy from age 8-13 had one in his possession! I say we march on Washington and demand that Congress do somethin' about this threat! The time to act is NOW!

Glockfan.45
January 14, 2007, 06:30 PM
Honest people have no need for slingshots with wrist braces. These tools of destruction have features which serve no sporting purpose. Wrist braces allow for shooting from the hip in rapid fire. Folding wrist braces make the weapon too easily concealable for criminals. High capacity bearing pouches allow for prolonged fire into crowds of helpless people. Steel ball bearings could pierce a police officers body armor, or take down a plane in the hands of a terrorist.

:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure Ted Kennedy said all that once.

Now if I can only figure out a way to attach a flash hider, bayonet lug, and laser sight.

bear71
January 14, 2007, 06:30 PM
"ANY slingshot is a felony in NJ. Even a forked stick w/ a rubber band."

To me, this is an absolute outrage, a felony for a child's toy?

In all seriousness, has there been a substantial migration by common sense people out of states like NJ that are imposing these restrictions?

That statement of fact made me angry. Very angry.

Outlaws
January 14, 2007, 06:48 PM
I am gonna work on a way to introduce a spiral into the slingshots projectile. I can't call it rifling, since there is no barrel, but at least when the .gov clamps down we will have much more accurate and further firing slingshots for the David and Goliath battle of the modern age. I figure a slingshot would be more easy to make with house hold items than a rifle anyways. ;) I guess firewood is next on the ban list...followed by the elastic band in your whitey tighties.

MechAg94
January 14, 2007, 06:50 PM
What if you mount the sling shot on a stock and make a "cross-shot". Then it wouldn't be concealable. No pistol grip or bayonet lug though.

Punkermonkey
January 14, 2007, 06:57 PM
There is a fairly decent book named Deathwatch (by Robb White) in which the main character makes good use of a sling-shot. Doubt anyone on here has read it but it gives a very graphic description of what someone can do to another person with one.

1911Tuner
January 14, 2007, 07:05 PM
Quote:

>it give a very graphic description of what someone can do to another person with one.<

A guy I used to work with told me that one of his boys shot the other one (Ages 13 and 15)in the calf of the leg with a 00 Buckshot pellet from across their bedroom. It buried up deep enough that they could just see it, but couldn't dig it out and had to take him to the ER. When he got home, he proceeded to pound his disarmed brother profusely about the head and shoulders...which was pretty much why he got shot in the first place. :D

Vern Humphrey
January 14, 2007, 07:15 PM
Doubt anyone on here has read it but it give a very graphic description of what someone can do to another person with one.

I can give a very graphic description of what someone can do to a dog that bark-bark-barks all the time.:p

I like double ought buckshot in these, myself.

Orthonym
January 14, 2007, 07:19 PM
I used to (may still, somewhere) have a variation on that called a "pocket rocket", a folding one. It came with a very good tutorial manual on how to use the slingshot, the gist of it being that one should not pull back and hold, then release, but come up with it pull and release in one motion. That was good advice and I learned to put half the balls into 4" at 30 feet. Also had ads for shrapnel, that is, folded paper boxes with BBs in them which would unfold downrange.

Car Knocker
January 14, 2007, 07:57 PM
Around here, the railroad tracks are littered with small round iron balls about the size of the steel bearings they sell as slingshot ammunition
Taconite pellets.

veloce851
January 14, 2007, 08:19 PM
I can't say with any legal certainty.

But I'll assume they are still legal in KS and MO since I've seen them for sale at wally world.

Reminds me I need to buy another replacement sling for mine :)

1911Tuner
January 14, 2007, 08:33 PM
Better get yours while ya can, so you can get grandfathered and all. I sense a Wrist Rocket ban comin'. :scrutiny:

chipp
January 14, 2007, 08:37 PM
I'm not supprised about anything in New jersey. It might as well be another country.

LAR-15
January 14, 2007, 09:25 PM
As said legal in the Carolinas and Georgia

The Real Hawkeye
January 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
How can you outlaw something as simple as that anyway? You can make a perfectly functional wrist rocket by bending an aluminum rod into the shape you want and attaching the surgical tubing with a leather strap. It's an afternoon's project at most.

Axman
January 15, 2007, 06:47 PM
What's next, rubber band guns? There'll be a legislation regarding a one clothespin per month purchase to prevent criminals from building rubberband guns!:confused:

Ohen Cepel
January 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
It's NY and MASS, what would you expect?!?! For those of you lucky enough to have never been to those places the laws (like this one) would baffle anyone!

I liked most of the people I meet in MASS but will never understand their politics.

MacPelto
January 15, 2007, 07:12 PM
There is a fairly decent book named Deathwatch (by Robb White) in which the main character makes good use of a sling-shot. Doubt anyone on here has read it but it gives a very graphic description of what someone can do to another person with one.

Holy cow! I thought that I was the only person who had ever read this book. I bought my first wrist-rocket immediately after reading it. (This was a couple of decades ago.)

Mac

The Real Hawkeye
January 15, 2007, 07:15 PM
Give us some details about how the character in Deathwatch used a sling shot. :) :)

MacPelto
January 15, 2007, 08:14 PM
As I said, it has been quite some time since I read it, but I seem to remember one part where the main character kills birds at a watering hole for food. I think that he chose to shoot pebbles since the birds were small and to save his lead shot for later. There's a nother part in which he buries himself in sand and uses the surgical tubing for breathing.

And, in order to keep the thread from drifting too far off, I note that it is illegal to take a slingshot onto LCRA property in Texas.

Mac

cracked butt
January 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
Remind me to tell ya about all the trouble I got into with a homemade Biblical-type sling....aka "Goatherd's Sling." Talk about a weapon of mass destruction! Talk about range! WOW!

Range- No kidding:evil: When I was 12 or 13, my cousin and I figured out how to make an effective sling using a kitchen garbage bag and some electrical tape. We had a good day of flinging 1" landscape pebbles 100 yards out into the lake. Now time to write my congresscritter to try to get a ban on garbage bags and electrical tape.:scrutiny: :p

cracked butt
January 15, 2007, 09:07 PM
Batons are illegal just to own, along with;
Slingshots
Blackjacks
Brass knuckles
Numchucks
Pepper Spray/Mace
Tasers
Knives with > 3" blades (illegal to carry)

As kids we used to go to the local weekend flea market to score most of the cool toys on the list with the exception of tazers/mace and the prominent inclusion of throwing stars.

1BLINDREF
January 15, 2007, 09:37 PM
New Jersey laws are working. Look at the crime stats from Camden, Trenton, and Newark :rolleyes:

1911Tuner
January 15, 2007, 10:13 PM
CB...After reading the biblical instructions...we scrounged the crick for round, smooth stones. Found a bunch of'em too...ranged from about the size of a small bakin' potato to a fairly large potato. Kid who never got in trouble asks to try it one mornin' while we were whackin' a 55-gallon drum from about 75 yards. He winds up and lets fly...at about 90 degrees to the target. Medium potato-sized projectile arcs toward the house across the road at a range of also about 75 yards...goes through the picture window...skids across the coffee table, wipin' out the lady's antique China tea service, proudly on display...and straight into the new Zenith color TV.
Hadn't been for the cabinet doors bein' closed, the picture tube woulda been history. Doors busted like cheap veneer.

Of course there were witnesses. We paid dearly.:rolleyes:

Orthonym
January 15, 2007, 11:11 PM
I didn't read the book, but I did see the movie, on TV, years ago. I doubt it will be shown these days because it portrayed the bad guy as a grouchy old cripple who was, well, a grouchy old cripple.

No offense intended at Donny, who is a grouchy old cripple who keeps a blog of that name.

In the movie, I think the wrist-rocket was found in the gasoline tank at the service station.

xd9fan
January 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'm glad they are here to protect us from ourselves........

Malone LaVeigh
January 16, 2007, 12:40 PM
Notice Dennis' doesn't have the dreaded evil wrist brace. Ah, those were simpler days. Expect to see politicians posing with those for the next election.

Zoogster
January 16, 2007, 10:02 PM
Malone LaVeigh: Notice Dennis' doesn't have the dreaded evil wrist brace. Ah, those were simpler days. Expect to see politicians posing with those for the next election.
What are you talking about he is shown with "handgun replicas" and a felony improvised deadly weapon! I see 3 felonies in those picture! No wait that does not include the charges the parent faces, or the additional charges depending on his location while using them.

bender
January 16, 2007, 11:09 PM
those slingshots are for sale everywhere in my city. My 9 year old has one. It's not really too powerful though, more of a "kiddie" wrist rocket.

sm
January 16, 2007, 11:37 PM
Wrist brace - pshaww!
Yep, just as I suspected , some folks even learned to use a slingshot with a "crutch" around here. :p

I was raised right.
We made our own wooden slingshots from the fork of a tree. Red Inner tube rubber, leather for a pouch.

I learned to shoot, actually I had a knack with eye and hand coordination, and would fell moving targets with a slingshot. Might be a pest , might be a squirrel for dinner, even felled birds like doves moving roost to roost, doves in flight (come in handy later on using a shotgun, this "reading dove movements") or a duck in a pond.
A Grumbling Stomach makes one focus on target, and not what the tool for getting something on the table with.

Red Inner Tubes are no more. Adapt Overcome Improvise

Don't need a wrist brace,never owned one, don't recall ever using one, and don't want one - ones I still make - do not have them.
Concealed is Concealed and Redundancy is Good. What slingshot? , If the Slingshot "got into trouble" , "have a back-up, and another back-up and another 'back-up"...:p

Still use a sling-shot to assist in teaching shotgunning too, along with a BB gun. ;)
Ain't no beads on the sling-shots either *snicker*
Mice and Rats were always great moving targets with rocks. :)

I turned out all-right. :D

Steve

geekWithA.45
January 16, 2007, 11:57 PM
"ANY slingshot is a felony in NJ. Even a forked stick w/ a rubber band."

To me, this is an absolute outrage, a felony for a child's toy?

In all seriousness, has there been a substantial migration by common sense people out of states like NJ that are imposing these restrictions?

That statement of fact made me angry. Very angry.

Yes, as a matter of fact, people with common sense, eyes to see, ears to hear and wisdom to run are skeddadling in increasing numbers.

The story behind the felonization of slingshots in NJ likely to make you even angrier.

The deal was that the bill originally criminalized slUngshots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slungshot

Some idjit in the office of legislative services (the non partisan dept. of writing up bills) assumed that slungshot was a typo, and "corrected" the error.

The mistake has stood thus for decades, because no one in the NJ legislature feels motivated to correct it, and doing so expose anyone who tried to all sorts of PR and political liabilities.

Deaf Smith
January 17, 2007, 12:21 AM
When is NJ and NY gonna outlaw rocks? I mean they are deadly in the hands of youth (look at the West Bank and what the Palistinians do!!) And not only rocks (which are easly available and require no background check or waiting period) but STICKS! Yes, and those with limbs are known as assault STICKS! And switches!

Oh, my.... I've opened the whole can of worms on this. Hope no liberal is reading this.

Zoogster
January 17, 2007, 12:28 AM
Deaf Smith: When is NJ and NY gonna outlaw rocks? I mean they are deadly in the hands of youth (look at the West Bank and what the Palistinians do!!) And not only rocks (which are easly available and require no background check or waiting period) but STICKS! Yes, and those with limbs are known as assault STICKS! And switches!
I don't know about NJ but in CA sticks kept for the purpose or designed or intended to be used as weapons are considered a "billy" which is a felony to own or posses anywhere in the state, even in your home. In fact any blunt stick type item is considered a "Billy" and is possession of an illegal felony weapon. So a stick for use as a weapon, or a stick with a handle or something that shows facilitaion for use as a handle such as tape that shows it is for use as a handle is obvious and implied intent for use as a weapon and would be considered a "billy". Telling someone or a LEO a stick was for self defense would also qualify as satisfying the requirement for use as a "Billy", as would just about any blunt object you intend to use as a weapon:

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(3) Carries concealed upon his or her person any explosive substance, other than fixed ammunition.
(4) Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger.

Violation of any of which is a FELONY

Notice there is many catch all phrases. Shuriken is any item like throwing knives or throwing stars. Billy is any blunt weapon used whether club, nightstick, etc Sap, slungshot,sandbag refer to any item filled with something heavy like a purse, bag, sock, etc for use as a weapon. Leaded cane means any cane made artificialy heavy by filling it with anything to increase it's weight whether lead or something else. Shobi-zue and cane sword mean any hidden blade item whatsoever. Any zip gun means any homemade item designed to fire ammunition. Basicly most things are covered in the fine print. This list includes things in your home, not just things carried but things within the state. All LEO are exempt.

nobody_special
January 17, 2007, 04:04 AM
I don't know about NJ but in CA sticks kept for the purpose or designed or intended to be used as weapons are considered a "billy" which is a felony to own or posses anywhere in the state, even in your home. In fact any blunt stick type item is considered a "Billy" and is possession of an illegal felony weapon.

Interesting... when I lived in California I practiced Aikido, and we sometimes did weapons training. The weapons used were the bokken and jo, both fabricated from wood; the bokken has a handle. These are not unusual weapons for martial arts.

If it was a felony, well... the police officer who practiced with us didn't object.

mike101
January 17, 2007, 04:10 AM
Quote:
New Jersey laws are working. Look at the crime stats from Camden, Trenton, and Newark

That's what I keep pointing out every time I write another pointless letter to Lautenburg. So far, he ain't listenin'.

In California, would a Louisville Slugger be considered a "billy"? I think we might still be able to have one of those, without a permit, in NJ. :D

Zoogster
January 17, 2007, 06:19 AM
These are not unusual weapons for martial arts.

If it was a felony, well... the police officer who practiced with us didn't object.
Simply lucky. There is legal exceptions for specific carry to practice in martial arts, however what remains is that they are illegal in the home. It is one of those laws that does not make sense. However were you to use sucha weapon, especialy if on the street you would have quickly found out how illegal they were. They also practice with nunchaku in many dojos which are also specificly banned, as I enjoyed practicing with them myself and researched thier legality later. I was quite disappointed to learn something I enjoyed practicing with was illegal to even posses within the state. So much for useful training on that particular item? There is also the option of both felony and misdemeanor charges and depending on the situation, whether it was in the home or you were carrying it they can decide how to prosecute. Because it says "by no more than a year in county jail, or in the state prison "(which by definition requires a year or longer) it is saying misdemeanor or felony. You can find instance of prosecution of as both. For the bokken finding prosecutions was harder, but you can easily find sensei warning students that they are a felony in CA, and without a doubt subject to prosecution if you define a handle on them with either carving or lanyard tape etc. However they are a crime either way, simply not prosecuted often, probably because they would be very difficult to conceal, and are almost never seen outside of training. Ironicly the bokken is a fake wooden sword for use in practicing(even though they may not appear to be) and could be prosecuted as a billy, but an actual sword is legal in CA (where not otherwise prohibited like schools and colleges, or for street carry)

In California, would a Louisville Slugger be considered a "billy"? I think we might still be able to have one of those, without a permit, in NJ.
This would be allowed as it is a tool for a common sport. However it would be easy to prosecute if you do not also have at least a ball and perhaps a glove in your possession as well, especialy if you were to be obviously in public with just a bat. However sports equipment is a legal way to bypass the ban. However using the sports equipment for defense will still be necessary to prove in court. Blunt items however specificly for use as weapons is against the law. I imagine if a cop asked what it was for and your replied protection it would constitute possession of a billy based on intent. Whether they prosecute or take any action is less likely, but still up to descretion.

jeep-2
January 17, 2007, 09:03 AM
California, would a Louisville Slugger be considered a "billy"? I think we might still be able to have one of those, without a permit, in NJ.

This would be allowed as it is a tool for a common sport. However it would be easy to prosecute if you do not also have at least a ball and perhaps a glove in your possession as well, especialy if you were to be obviously in public with just a bat. However sports equipment is a legal way to bypass the ban. However using the sports equipment for defense will still be necessary to prove in court. Blunt items however specificly for use as weapons is against the law. I imagine if a cop asked what it was for and your replied protection it would constitute possession of a billy based on intent. Whether they prosecute or take any action is less likely, but still up to descretion.

Even a baseball bat wouldn't fly if there was a ft of snow on the ground, unless you was a college student on the team, my son is on a college team and has gloves,bats, balls in the car as they just stopped pratice for Xmas break and will start up again next week. I still think if the bat was on the back seat and he hit the wrong rd ck, there would be ??s Cops seem to get nervous when looking at something that could hurt them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sling shot with wrist brace is illegal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!