Ruger Single-Six

PDA

Bigjake
May 30, 2003, 04:12 PM
Hello all,

I'm having some issues with my single six as of late, and as a long time tfl/thr lurker i've figured out that you guys are the people to ask about ANYTHING gun related, so heres my problem-

Girlfriend loves to shoot the thing, but the action on it is really heavy, any way to lessen that? its heavy to the point i can tell, my .44 vaquero's action is smoother and lighter.

When i'm shooting this gun, it splits the casing on the .22, the brass is literaly split all the way down then casing, whats the deal with that? it shoots idealy with the .22 mag cyl in, but plain ol' .22 lr just gives me fits. i'm going to email ruger, but before i go to the bother of shipping it back to them i thought i'd present this problem to you guys. let me know what you think about it, i'd sure appriciate the help, thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Single-Six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
May 30, 2003, 10:54 PM
1. You can substitute after-market hammer and trigger springs, such as those made by the Wolff Spring Co.

2. I suspect a mistake was made, and your .22 LR cylinder is really chambered for the .22 WRM cartridge. Contact Ruger Customer Service about this. However if you send in the gun (they may require this) be sure to return the original springs if you've changed them out. Otherwise the company will be legally obligated to replace them with stock ones.

Bigjake
May 31, 2003, 01:16 AM
Allright, thanks old fluff. You suspected right about the cyl, i called cust. service at ruger today and the tech lady told me that if my ".22lr" chamber was really .22lr, then a .22 mag would not fit. well, low and behold, it fits .22 mag really well :scrutiny: dirty dog at the gunshow sold me two dang .22 mag cyls! as for the springs, i'll have to contact them and find out, if you recomend those particular springs i will give them a try. thanks much for the help on this, btw

Old Fuff
May 31, 2003, 10:53 PM
Sorry about the cylinder switch. You can return the revolver to Ruger and they'll fit a correct ".22 LR cylinder to your gun. Then recover part of the cost by selling the Magnum cylinder to someone that needs it.

Easy way to tell: The .22 LR cylinders are fluted, the Magnum ones are not. If your "questionable" cylinder is fluted the factory made a mistake and I'm sure they will fix it for free.

The Wolff Spring folks have an excellent customer service department that will be glad to answer any questions you have about springs. Be sure to specify if your gun is the "New Model" (with a transfer bar safety) or an "Old Model" (without one).

JohnBT
June 1, 2003, 04:44 PM
I didn't know that. When did they stop fluting the magnum cylinders? I haven't looked at a new one in years. Both cylinders on my '72 S-Six Convertible are fluted.

John

Bigjake
June 1, 2003, 07:05 PM
would the cylinder in that pick be fluted?? if so, i have that and the smooth one, and both are magnum. mine is also a new one so could it be that i have an old cyl for it?

Edited to add a pic-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3611359429&category=36258

Old Fuff
June 1, 2003, 08:24 PM
Interesting ....

The cylinder(s) used to be marked on the face with a partial serial number - engraved freehand with an electric pencil. I'm not sure when they started, or if they still do it. Anyway, look and see if they're any numbers. Maybe we're onto something.

Hank Zudd
June 15, 2003, 03:16 AM
I had the same situation for a few years after I traded for a six with only one cylinder. you'd think it would be the long rifle, but no- I had to shoot lr's thru it till I figured out it was a mag. But alas, I found a seperate long rifle cylinder at a gun show today, but it won't just drop in like the mag. cyl. Should I a) drive 3.5 hours round trip to get my $50.00 back (guy said he would do it) b) try & have my machinest friend mill down the end till it fits (appears to be tight in the front [where the center pin goes-gap between barrel & cyl appears ok] c) sell it for what I paid & let some other guy see if it fits his or d) send it back to ruger & let them fit it for ? + shipping. I fear this cyl is from an older model & ruger will tell me it is not designed for my gun. I would trade the mag cyl. for a discount on a long rifle. So what's my most logical option? thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Single-Six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!