I've lost my friggin mind. (double rifle)

PDA

H&Hhunter
May 30, 2003, 05:20 PM
Hi honey I'm home:) :) :) And you'll never believe what Followed me home :uhoh:

I sold a 4 wheeler a wetherby mark V ultra light .300 an Ithica side by side 12 Ga and I only owe several thousand more dollars. But by golly I finally got me a double rifle.

Hey it's an investment right? Never lose money on a double they say.(also known as rationalization) In any case I just put the down on a Butch Searcy field grade .470NE ejector double.

If anybody out there has any water tight sales pitches for the little lady let me know. In any case I may soon be looking for a reasonably priced apartment to rent. The better half went totally :cuss: cuss: :fire: :banghead: When I fessed up to her.

Can you imagine that?

www.searcyent.com

But don't rationalize to long. It starts to make sense after a while.

If you enjoyed reading about "I've lost my friggin mind. (double rifle)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
May 30, 2003, 05:57 PM
Careful!

When the Mrs. divorces you she'll take 1 barrel, leaving you with a single-barrel .470!

Years ago when I was with NRA I shot a Ferlach (I think that's what it was) .470 double.

More power to you. :)

Soap
May 30, 2003, 06:11 PM
I'm jealous. A double rifle is in my stars, just not yet... Enjoy it!

Ledbetter
May 30, 2003, 06:20 PM
"Honey, by buying the field grade instead of the deluxe I saved $4,000!!"

PJR
May 30, 2003, 06:50 PM
It's a very reasonable price for a double rifle actually. For some you could easily add another zero. :what:

Here's my suggestion: Take her here and let her know what a shrewd gun buyer you are

http://www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/newyork/newguns/double-rifle.htm

I suspect from your user name however you've been there before.

Paul

Dr.Rob
May 30, 2003, 07:07 PM
The only double rifle I could possibly afford is that 45-70 Cabela's sells.. I'd love to get one, congrats.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 30, 2003, 07:22 PM
H&Hhunter- you Sir, are a brave man.

I've brought home some hardware that spawned, shall we say, an icy response, but....

Here's the line:

Here's H&Hhunter over the line.

Wow. Most excellent. I've been nursing the need for a Ruger safari rifle for a long time, but never even considered a double.

JohnBT
May 30, 2003, 07:48 PM
I understand. I bought tickets for the Accurate Reloading raffle for a Searcy rifle.

As far as advice, I pass. My lawyer did my divorce for $112 and that included the court costs.

John

H&Hhunter
May 30, 2003, 08:08 PM
Guys I like the bait and switch angle!!:cool:

Especially the one about saving money......:cool: :cool:

I've been trying to work on the ole "this rifle could well one day save my life" routine. No luck, so far.

But the good news is that the dog and I are bonding. We slept very well last night in his house.

John I may need the number of your lawyer. Does he also do debt consolidation?:D

PJR,
You sir, are correct about the value of a searcy they are in my opinon the best quality double for the money by a long shot. And they are all custom fit to the shooter.
See it makes perfect sense....

Al Thompson
May 30, 2003, 09:26 PM
Could use the old - but honey, I don't (smoke/drink/cuss) or chase loose ladies..

Or you could buy her something of equal value - problem is that you have to buy it without asking what she wants......

Here's hope -

My divorce was $700 out the door.. :D No alimony - :D, :D. She got three guns and half the equity in the house plus the Camry - :(. I still hunt bambi with her brother - :D.

Ain't love grand?

Outlander
May 30, 2003, 10:23 PM
Whatever you decide to tell her it would help if you were doing the dishes at the time.

"In all of recorded history, no woman has ever shot her husband while he was doing the dishes".

Mike Irwin
May 30, 2003, 11:02 PM
My ex-wife simply walked away -- from me, from the house, from the little equity, from everything.

She took her debts, her stuff, and simply left.

Oh yeah. Since I wanted to try to save the marriage (what the hell was I thinking???) and she didn't, I made her pay for the pleasure of the divorce, too.

Oh yeah, one other interesting thing. I also kept all the friends. Including HER friends from before we were married.

At the moment I'm now sitting in a house that's worth nearly $300,000, far in excess of what it was worth when she left me.

Thanks, you miserable :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: . Nicest thing you ever did for me.

Don Gwinn
May 30, 2003, 11:35 PM
Could use the old - but honey, I don't (smoke/drink/cuss) or chase loose ladies..

Al, remember what they say about assumptions. . . . maybe he can't use that one! :evil:

H&Hhunter
May 31, 2003, 02:22 AM
Well I don't smoke...............

Cosmoline
May 31, 2003, 04:37 AM
Two handi rifles and some duct tape. :D

WYO
May 31, 2003, 07:39 AM
I have a friend going through the same thing right now, only he hasn't bought one yet. If I didn't buy the "English doubles have outperformed the stock market for the last 10 years" argument, I know someone else who won't, either.

But I really like the safety angle. How would she feel if an elephant stomped you into mush while you were working the bolt because you didn't have that double rifle. Of course, if you don't know the answer to that one in advance, it may be best not to ask it. :)

BTW, did you tell her that ammo costs between $9.50 and 10.50 a shot?

Good luck, and have a nice day.

Braz
May 31, 2003, 08:24 AM
Very cool,

You've reached a rarified air H&H. Pics???? :)

HerbG
May 31, 2003, 08:31 AM
Normally I'd argue for just fessing up and taking the consequences, but this time maybe some crafty creativity is in order!

stevelyn
May 31, 2003, 12:23 PM
If all you wanted was a two-barrelled rifle you could have gotten a Russian made EAA Corp double rifle and saved yerself some serious grief and kept the 4-wheeler.:D :D

cratz2
May 31, 2003, 12:50 PM
I think a small shiny gift for her and an explanation on how double rifles will continue to increase in value exponentially will suffice.

Hopefully... ;)

Tamara
May 31, 2003, 01:09 PM
Hmmm.

I suppose the "But all my friends have one!" angle is right out, here. ;)

Gordon
May 31, 2003, 01:40 PM
I paid $6000 for an 'Army and Navy' .470 made in the 30's by Cogwell and Harrison for the officer PX sales in Africa. I bought it in 83 and I had it appraised 5 years ago for $12000 ! Pretty good return compared to most folks retirement plans:evil: My (ex ) wife thought I was nuts too. I gave her all the furniture including valuble art work to keep my gun collection. My gun collection is worth north of $200000 and her furniture is long ruined by the boot heels of the young drunken cowboys of her mid life crisis:neener: I put the equity of the home sales in rural property with an old farm house which I have put 10 years of work in and it went up 5X in value. She partied her way thru So. Calif with men 10+ years her junior. She sits in an apt now and the sons I put thru college feel sorry for her, stuck with her newest loser. Any whooo you can step up to a box or 2 of Federal factory ammo and then reload. You only shoot maybe 12 of these babies in an afternoon anyway. I still have a few Woodliegh bullets left of 50 I purchased 15 years ago , and 6 factory Federals of a 10 year old box of 20. A good investment nomatter what the marital outcome!

H&Hhunter
May 31, 2003, 02:50 PM
Braz,
No pics yet it'll be several months before I actually have the little bugger in my hands. It's being built as we speak. But I'll be sure and drop some pics when it gets in. For now go to WWW.Searcyent.com. They've got some real nice pic on their site.

WYO,
We haven't crossed the ammo cost bridge yet. But here's the deal I have already bought a set .470 dies $138.00. I also bought a .475 cal mold and can mold my own lead bullets for practice. The really expensive part is the brass. the cheapest I can find is Bell brass for $48.00 per twenty, Norma is $68.00 per twenty and Bertram is more. I've got a buddy in the RSA who says he gets em from a local company for about $.75 per so I'm going to work that angle and see if I can get some imported. Hunting bullets are another story $$$$$$$ big time.

Gordon,
I like your input quality doubles do not lose value.

I'

skippie
May 31, 2003, 05:24 PM
I guess "it looked lost and hungery, I could't just leave it there, alone and cold like that. are you that cold hearted?" is out of the question...:neener:

tex_n_cal
May 31, 2003, 07:32 PM
Of course, one can always look for one of the Blackpowder express rifles, which kick way less than a Nitro Express, cost lots less, and are better suited to North American game.

Of course, they also have gone up in price, mainly because a chap named Seyfried keeps telling people how to get them shooting:banghead:

Me? I bought a Field's Patent falling block single shot, in caliber .500-450#1 Express. Drives 300 grain bullets at 1850 fps, which is enough for anything domestically. Don't know if it will ever shoot well enough, due to its bore condition, but it is a fun rifle. At $1000 it was relatively cheap english fun.

sm
May 31, 2003, 07:42 PM
H&H, Congratulations.
I have always respected the double. Reading Ruark and others the mystique , beauty , history and craftsmanship...really something else. Even been lucky to touch a few, fire a few rds.

About the missus...How about renting the old movie Middle Age Crazy ?

"See honey I'm not that bad?"...oh wait, Ann Margaret is in it...scratch that...she'll accuse you of wanting a sports car and a younger woman...oops ;)

Okiecruffler
June 1, 2003, 12:29 AM
But thanks for giving us poor shmucks a good excuse for our next cheapo gun purchase. "But honey, you should hear what H&H did...":p

Byron Quick
June 1, 2003, 12:43 AM
Think I'll stay single unless I can find a female gun collector. Then we can argue about who gets to buy what this month.

Alfadog
June 1, 2003, 01:13 AM
H&H--the problem is you didn't lay the proper groundwork for a purchase like this beforehand. What you should have done is convince your wife that you absolutely must have a Corvette or your life will become bland, empty, and meaningless. This may require several months. Then, while looking over financial records, tell your wife in your most despairing voice that there is just no way that you will be able to afford the Corvette anytime in the foreseeable future. What will you do to console yourself? Well, you have always had this dream of owning a fine double rifle, and a double rilfe only costs something like one-third of what a 'Vette would cost. The perfect solution! Then mention how you know a guy who bought himself a mid-life crisis sports car and wound up running off witha 22 year old aerobics instructor or something like that (DO NOT refer to this guy as a friend!). Ideally, you should time this to coincide with Christmas, your birthday, or a significant anniversary. Naturally, your gift to your wife must be commensurate with the cost of the rifle.

I'm "laying the groundwork" right now for the purchase of a full custom 1911 to coincide with my tenth anniversary. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

H&Hhunter
June 1, 2003, 01:32 AM
OK I think I got it.
The whole thing about the gift to my wife being comensurate in value.....

Here goes..

Hey honey look what I bought you for our tenth aniversary!!! Oh go ahead and open the envelope you'll be so excited!!!

LOOK an all expense paid trip to Tanzania to hunt buffalo in the Selous game reserve!!!! And look honey you can be an observer for only $150.00 per day.

Yeep that's it I'll have to start working on that one right away..;) Thanks for the great advice guys!!!!

Art Eatman
June 1, 2003, 12:44 PM
For sure, there are advantages for a single fella. For instance, the Jim Bridger rifle shown at

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/MMMuseum/jbrifle.htm

once graced my house. I bought it at auction for $10 large. Showed it at a couple of rendezvous, and then figured that it really oughta be in a museum instead of being hidden away in a gun safe. And, a bit of profit is a bit of profit.

But I didn't have to worry about justifications...

And the present Miz BossLady doesn't say much about some of my more adolescent 'druthers.

:D, Art

BigG
June 1, 2003, 02:08 PM
Congratulations on a real fine smokepole, H&H. That's a great investment.

zxc
June 1, 2003, 03:50 PM
Congrats on the purchase-my wife just remarked Oh well when I pointed out this thread to her.I guess dont sweat huh? a good excuse for an arsenal upgrade.? As many have said theres always the stock market:eek:

JimC
June 2, 2003, 07:58 AM
If you wanted to go for the double rifle and the possible divorce that may go along with it, I think I would have gone all the way and bought the deluxe model and in .500NE! :D

Do they give a life time warranty?

Nice purchase, good luck with it.

Byron Quick
June 2, 2003, 10:40 AM
While I don't have a wife...I do have a mother who wishes to examine the state of my finances from time to time(every month).

Just recently, I showed her a Springfield 1903 MarkI that I bought from Art...about 95%.

She started on about how I should be saving for retirement and investing my money, etc.

I came up with what I consider to be an inspired response. I got out the records of my stock purchases...what I paid for them and what they are currently worth.

I then got out the records of my gun purchases and what they are currently valued.

Based on the evidence, it was clear that I do much better with buying firearms than buying stocks.

I think this is the very first time I have ever had the last word with my mother.

Ledbetter
June 2, 2003, 02:39 PM
"her furniture is long ruined by the boot heels of the young drunken cowboys of her mid life crisis."

What a poet; there's a country-western song in there for sure.

H&H, best idea so far is to just keep washing dishes until this thing blows over.

Ky Larry
June 2, 2003, 04:28 PM
Several years ago I was in the U.S.Air Force and stationed in England. I had the opportunity to tour the Holland and Holland factory in London. I understand exactly what was going thru your mind. There is nothing quite like the feel of a fine double rifle.
You shold be a man and remind your wife that you are the head of the house and the absolute master of your domain. Tell her you can do anything you damn well please and she should keep quiet. Then after you've picked up your clothes off the front lawn you can tell Rover he has a new roommate.

P.S. Don't forget to DUCK!!!:uhoh:

BigG
June 3, 2003, 12:13 PM
Does the gun come regulated for the std load available from Federal?

Gfrey
June 3, 2003, 01:39 PM
When I mentioned this thread to my wife she LAUGHED at the "No husband has been shot while doing dishes."

I suggest buying your bride an equivilent priced toy SHE wants.
I mean, a new double rifle is cheap at twice the price, RIGHT?;)

GOOD LUCK.

I just wish my wife would go ahead and buy that harley instead of talking about it!

Gfrey

If you enjoyed reading about "I've lost my friggin mind. (double rifle)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!