Okay hotshots, what's wrong with THIS picture?

PDA

Cortland
May 30, 2003, 05:40 PM
I've found arinvolvo's recent contributions to be rather amusing diversions, so here's a similar picture featuring my Steyr M9. I dare you to find anything anything out of the ordinary in this picture. :scrutiny:

http://www.vbrpc.org/images/whatswrong.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay hotshots, what's wrong with THIS picture?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SoDFW Jason
May 30, 2003, 05:43 PM
I think the magazine is too long on this one too.:D

Snaps
May 30, 2003, 05:50 PM
Is there a little rusting on the trigger guard?

Cortland
May 30, 2003, 06:01 PM
There are four issues related to the magazine. Not sure what happened to the trigger guard :uhoh:

Mal H
May 30, 2003, 06:06 PM
I don't see anything wrong there, Cortland.

Perhaps the bayonet is the wrong size? Hard to tell from the photo.

;) :) :D

David4516
May 30, 2003, 06:18 PM
Looks fine to me ;)

But really, what are those bullets you got there? They look kinda like .444s to me, but it's hard to be sure. 45-70 maybe?

Cortland
May 30, 2003, 06:21 PM
They're .45-70s Smarty Pants :cuss:

Handy
May 30, 2003, 06:25 PM
A blue backdrop would have accentuated the brown leather better.

Also, the obligatory knife is not tactical enough, despite being a military piece.

Cortland
May 30, 2003, 06:32 PM
Well, the green backdrop was chosen because it was the closest piece of fabric to me at the time of the photo.

As to the bayonet (I'll give this one away--it's from a Japanese Type 99 Arisaka), you raise a good point. I've never understood why so many people feel that you've got to lay a pocket knife next to a gun before you can take it's picture. :rolleyes: Oh well...

arinvolvo
May 30, 2003, 06:34 PM
The grips are on upside down.

Cortland
May 30, 2003, 06:45 PM
Now that's a good guess arinvolvo ;)

Actually, the M9's metal "sub-frame" has been removed from the polymer housing, then the slide put back on the sub-frame, and then a monogrip from a Hi-Standard Duramatic .22 leaned up against the skeletonized M9.

Pretty convincing, huh?

jerryd
May 30, 2003, 08:49 PM
Your missing the recoil buffer?

goon
May 30, 2003, 09:07 PM
The lighting is all wrong:neener:

George Hill
May 30, 2003, 09:37 PM
It's friday, isnt it?

waymor55
May 30, 2003, 10:31 PM
wrong size bullets in mag:confused:

caz223
May 30, 2003, 10:46 PM
If you actually got a .45-70 to chamber, and fire in that weapon, that's what it would look like! (Minus the top part of the barrel, that is.)

FunYet
May 30, 2003, 11:35 PM
The bullets pictured are for shooting to the left only. Bullets designed to shoot to the right would be pointing the other way.

Cortland
May 30, 2003, 11:57 PM
wrong size bullets in the mag

That's correct. The magazine goes to a Ruger P90 .45, is loaded with .380s, and would never fit in the .22 magazine well, which is all wrong for a 9mm Steyr.

ebenw
May 31, 2003, 12:17 AM
"I don't see a gun in your picture..." (This would be a G-man's answer)

Also that pocket knife looks like it was pasted in with a 'lil bit of Photoshop shadowing. -er... uh... really bad lighting.

(Looks like one of those "Dangerous Items" airport signs)

nemesis
May 31, 2003, 12:26 AM
wrong size bullets in mag

So who do you know that puts bullets in mags? Could you possibly be referring to putting bullets in a clip?

Dave R
May 31, 2003, 12:30 AM
There's no lug for that bayonet to attach :confused:

Cortland
May 31, 2003, 12:44 AM
Also that pocket knife looks like it was pasted in with a 'lil bit of Photoshop shadowing. -er... uh... really bad lighting.

Well now cut me a little slack here. First I was told that the green background was all wrong so I made it blue. Then I was told that I needed a tactical folding knife in the picture. I didn't feel like cutting a path around all those serations on the knife, so I put a crappy shadow on it going in the wrong direction to cover up that fact.

I'm also disappointed that nobody has pointed out that my priming powder flask is perhaps out of place.

Frohickey
May 31, 2003, 12:47 AM
They finally made an auto-pistol that is easy to clean. :D

Cortland
May 31, 2003, 12:51 AM
They finally made an auto-pistol that is easy to clean.

I know you say that in jest, but it's really no joke. You field strip a Steyr by pulling down a lever. You can further completely remove the "innards" (what you see in the photo below the slide) from the polymer frame using a paper clip.

Quartus
May 31, 2003, 12:52 AM
So who do you know that puts bullets in mags? Could you possibly be referring to putting bullets in a clip?

Maybe you'd BOTH better learn to put your CARTRIDGES in a MAGAZINE.

(Unless you have a Broomhandle Mauser, or some such relic, which actually uses a clip. But there's no clip in that picture. There are some BULLETS, but they are loaded into cases. That, some powder and some primers, gives you CARTRIDGES.)

Cortland
May 31, 2003, 12:57 AM
here are some BULLETS, but they are loaded into cases. That, some powder and some primers, gives you CARTRIDGES.

If you want to get really hot and bothered about it, that'd be MODERN METALLIC CARTRIDGES.

ebenw
May 31, 2003, 01:03 AM
Gads! I thought that was a 19th century vacuum cleaner..:rolleyes:

Is that a Galco holster ... lefty, at that.

It's interesting that something could have such a complete (looking) subframe..

No trigger guard.. actually some SA's had no trigger guards, the pocket guns of the industrial revolution. I think if you squint your eyes, you can see that in your picture it doesn't look so bad.

I once saw a used 1911 bodyguard gun with the trigger guard sawn out... the trigger was double-wide and would release the hammer when you only thought of pulling it. As close as you can get to making a 1911 "safety operated." It was definitely a business piece.

Cortland
May 31, 2003, 01:23 AM
Is that a Galco holster ... lefty, at that.

Ahh... close, but no. It's a right handed Bianchi pistol pocket (IWB) for a S&W CS45.

It's interesting that something could have such a complete (looking) subframe..

Everything (even the slide rails) come out of the polymer frame. This is the complete gun (disassembled of course):

http://www.vbrpc.org/images/steyr_dis.gif

ebenw
May 31, 2003, 01:42 AM
Unlike the Glock, those slide rails say "long service life."
But I'm sure the Glock will do fine. (my statement here is to avoid the long list of Glock fan posts)

It's a funny thing, but that slide, barrel, and trigger probably each took way more shop time than the receiver.

The only polymer frame pistol I've had was a gamble: an HS2000.
A great 9mm pistol at $250, considering the very good work on the slide. Now Springfield imports them and turns them around with a huge mark-up --not unlike some Austrian mainstays.

Cortland
May 31, 2003, 01:52 AM
A great 9mm pistol at $250, considering the very good work on the slide. Now Springfield imports them and turns them around with a huge mark-up --not unlike some Austrian mainstays.

Well, my Austrian mainstay (that's my Steyr M9 for those of you in Rio Linda) was a bargain at twice the price of $300.

The advantages of obscurity! :D

Grayrock
May 31, 2003, 01:57 AM
Your backdrop is wrinkled.

arinvolvo
May 31, 2003, 05:10 AM
Cortland, I am loving the Steyr praises...keep them coming...I love it.

HadEmAll
June 1, 2003, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the hex head bolt for the blade pivot in the knife is about 1/16 of a turn from full tight. Is that it?

TheMariner
June 2, 2003, 02:22 AM
It ain't loaded

Mikul
June 2, 2003, 03:14 PM
What kind of floorplate is on that magazine?

Cortland
June 2, 2003, 03:55 PM
What kind of floorplate is on that magazine?

The magazine is a .45 8 rounder for a Ruger P90. Plastic floorplate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay hotshots, what's wrong with THIS picture?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!