Buying bulk handgun ammunition...1,000 rds

PDA

bear71
January 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
Anyone buying their ammunition by the 1,000 to save a few bucks and have the opportunity to shoot just a few more magazines at the range?

Outside of the initial cash layout, are then any negs to buying bulk ammo from a reputable manufacturer?

I've not done this yet, but I usually buy a couple-three boxes of three different calibers (9mm, .40, .45ACP) which then ends up being about 150-200rounds total for a shooting session. I'm thinking about the bulk ammo so I can shoot just a little more per session for about the same amount of money spent.

I would continue to buy a box of JHP for each session for my two carry pieces, but cheaper "warm ups" might be a good idea.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying bulk handgun ammunition...1,000 rds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kimber1911_06238
January 17, 2007, 01:01 PM
the only problem with buying such large orders is that shipping is usually really expensive and takes away from the savings.

bear71
January 17, 2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the input.

I'm pretty close to "The Sportsmans Guide" main store and could drive there to pick it up which alleviates that concern. TSG seems to be decent on prices.

Too bad Federal doesn't sell bulk-direct, I live about two miles from the plant!

Nil
January 17, 2007, 01:15 PM
Last time I was at Walmart I picked up 1000 rounds of WWB 9mm. Of course, it didn't save me any money but it did save me from having to walk into that horrible store again for at least a little while.

M2 Carbine
January 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
By all means buy in bulk if you find good sale prices.
Buy all that you can afford. It doesn't go bad and if nothing else, in the future you could sell it for more than you paid for it.

I am shooting many calibers, 9mm, 9x18, 7.62x39, etc, for as little as one third of the price it is selling for now.:)

Years ago K Mart (are they still in business) use to run very good sales on ammo and guns.
Once in a while the sale would be a mistake, like intending to put the 50 round box of 22LR on sale, but instead the ad would read 100 round box.
Once when they did that I bought all the 100 round boxes of CCI 22LR ammo that two K Mart stores had in stock and also got a rain check.

I also bought two Remington 1100 shotguns for the sale price of the Remington 870.

kfranz
January 17, 2007, 02:01 PM
Only other negative is weight carrying it to the storage area. Handgun ammo is no sweat. 10k rounds of surplus 8mm that starts on the doorstep and has to be taken down the basement, on the other hand, is a bit of work.

MrPeter
January 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
I just bought:
440 rds hungarian 7.62x54r FMJ surplus - for my mosin :rolleyes:
250 rds wolf 180gr .40 S&W FMJ - for my CZ 75B :p
100 rds 158gr .357 Mag JSP - for a GP-100 I don't have yet ;)
500 rds .38 spl FMJ - also for a GP-100 I dont have yet :scrutiny:
molded Leather holster for a 6" GP-100 I dont have yet :confused:
2 speedloaders for a GP-100 I dont have yet :uhoh:

Cost me $250. Not too shabby if you ask me. Shipping was $5.
Sportsmansguide gives you a decent deal if you are in their buyers club.

Now I hope I dont change my mind about the GP100. Just one more month!!!

SeNNebogen
January 17, 2007, 02:16 PM
Buy it cheap, stack it deep! If you ever get a chance and a good price, by all means... buy it up. Seems that prices only tend to go up anyway unless you hit a weird black Friday sale or something.

boerseun
January 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
Everytime I know I'm going to spend more than $50 at Walmart, I wing by sporting goods and pick up a brick or 2 of .22lr ammo.
I buy from AIMSURPLUS - $12 flat rate shipping. I also make a point of it not to buy any firearm that I can't get a .22 conversion for :)
Makes for great fun at the range.

Which reminds me, it's time to get a few more spam cans of 7.62x54r. I love the Light ball for my M44's (only rifle I have without a conversion kit)

ready4shtf
January 17, 2007, 02:40 PM
I never buy less than 1,000 at a time. Its not going to go bad or anything.

Declaration Day
January 17, 2007, 02:43 PM
I've been buying in bulk for years. Some of it comes from AIM Surplus, sometimes it's on sale at local sporting goods stores.

Don't worry about the initial cash layout; ammo is virtually always a good investment and can be sold for atleast what you paid for it.

dave_pro2a
January 17, 2007, 02:46 PM
Cute, he thinks 1000 rounds is "bulk" order :neener:

andyjason
January 17, 2007, 02:51 PM
buying in large qtys like that you get "free shipping". i know that nothing is free, so it is already figured in.

ProficientRifleman
January 17, 2007, 03:04 PM
If you are shooting enough to start buying your ammo by the case, you should be loading your own. Call the folks at Dillon Precision. They are very helpful and for 300-400 dollars you will be all set up to load anything you shoot. In the long run you will spend the same amount of money, but this way you'll always have ammo on hand, and you'll shoot more. Plus, loading your own is kind of fun. So indulge!

jnojr
January 17, 2007, 03:08 PM
Anyone buying their ammunition by the 1,000 to save a few bucks and have the opportunity to shoot just a few more magazines at the range?

You mean to tell me that there are places that sell the little boxes inside of the cases individually?!?! :D

CU74
January 17, 2007, 03:58 PM
As said earlier - buy it cheap, stack it deep. If I get below 300-400 rounds for ANY firearm I own, I start having panic attacks. AIM, SOG, Ammo-to-Go, wherever, buy it in case/tin lots. The prices are only going UP - priced any 7.5x55 Swiss lately??:cuss:

Soybomb
January 17, 2007, 04:01 PM
Shipping isn't nearly as bad as some would make you believe. My last order was 1500 rounds of 9mm and a few assorted packs of .22's Shipping cost me $20, about $6 more than I would have paid in sales tax on the order had I bought locally.

AJD
January 17, 2007, 04:06 PM
I buy in bulk when possible. I usually only do so on great deals.

For example ammoman.com has FREE shipping. So from time to time you can find some great deals on large orders of ammo.

And the way I look at it like this...if I buy local I pay sales tax and if I buy online I pay shipping. So whichever ends up being cheaper after sales tax or shipping I get.

What stinks is that Sportsmensguide is in MN so I would have to pay sales tax AND shipping when ordering from them. I think Cabela's would also require MN sales tax when buying online but I never have bought from them online.

rchernandez
January 17, 2007, 04:18 PM
Yup. Per year, typically buy 2-3 cases of Aguila .22lr; a case of Wolf MT .22lr; and a case of CCI SV .22lr. A case of .22lr's is 5000 rounds.

I reload .45acp and the occasional .38spl. Discounts can be had by buying bullets in 10,000 round "volume". Post office has a box that will take 2k .45acp bullets for $8.10. Of course, at 10k volume, shipping is included!

9mm and 7.62x39, I buy over the net...ammoman.com & classicarms.us. Due to cost(s), I'll be reloading .308 very soon.

Check out ammoman.com for deals.

Rexrider
January 17, 2007, 04:35 PM
Nothing wrong with buying ammo by the case. I started doing that long ago so I don't have to stop somewhere to buy ammo every time I go to the range.

From my point of view, even if I don't save money on the ammo, I still save gas, wear and tear on the car, and time. Which all equal money.

CountGlockula
January 17, 2007, 04:46 PM
If the price is good...Go for it. I just bought a box of 500 round Winchester white boxes in .40 cal.

I'll have to stop by Walmart, they have it for $15 for 100 rounds: $150 for a 1,000 rounds is a good deal.

As for storage, go to your local army surplus and pick up a ammo can:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/IMG_0903.jpg

ZeSpectre
January 17, 2007, 04:59 PM
We have fairly frequent gunshows around here and the happy coincidence is that they usually fall near a payday :D Buying FTF saves me on any shipping too. As a result I'm slooooowly gathering a decent stockpile of ammo, not that I have many calibers to worry about.

I just, after considerable debate, picked up 1k of reloaded .40 S&W for $75. I was a little concerned as to what the quality might be like at that price but decided to give it a chance. The ammo is pretty dirty to shoot but the QC is good and the load seems to perform consistantly so it makes great range ammo.

Next purchase is probably going to be 1k of .357 Magnum. With my budget that one will hurt in the wallet!

I guess my point is that buying in 1k lots seems to make the most fiscal sense (possibly excepting my premium SD ammo 'cause I simply cannot afford to buy that in bulk <sigh>).

wooderson
January 17, 2007, 05:19 PM
I've been buying all the 9mm and .45 100-count boxes from Wal-Mart whenever I stop by. So far it's still cheaper than ordering bulk online.

Thinking about ordering a couple of 'Canned Heat' cases from Georgia Arms (I think, I forget the exact name of the company), with shipping it still comes out about $2.50 less per 50 for .38 and .45.

bear71
January 17, 2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks to all for the responses. I'm not quite ready to go bulk yet because want to buy a couple more sidearms prior to going bulk. I figure by mid summer I should have acquired a P226 and a Kahr carry piece.

CountGlockula,

Thanks for the pic, I always enjoy gun photogs and their creativity. One more bone for you, your screen name might be the coolest of them all.

Malone LaVeigh
January 17, 2007, 05:35 PM
You can often find good deals on bulk ammunition at gun shows, with no shipping. Then I suppose you would have to add the price of admission, but there are other good reasons to go to a gun show, entertainment if nothing else.

CountGlockula
January 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
CountGlockula,
Thanks for the pic, I always enjoy gun photogs and their creativity. One more bone for you, your screen name might be the coolest of them all.

You're very welcome and thank you my friend.

Headless
January 17, 2007, 06:18 PM
ammoman.com...1000 rnds 9mm, 1000 rnds .40 and 1000 rnds .38 = 640$. Ouch. I need a raise. Now i remember why i buy these incrementally! Of course, that'd last me a couple months.

strat81
January 17, 2007, 06:25 PM
My local hardware store sells firearms and ammunition. They ordered me a case of CCI Blazer for the price I would have paid online plus shipping. Hardly an outstanding deal, but a little better than WWB from Wal-Mart, and a local small business got the profit.

CWL
January 17, 2007, 06:26 PM
Cute, he thinks 1000 rounds is "bulk" order

Yup, I only have ~10,000 rounds for my firearms and I feel inadequate.

You can never have too much ammo.

Eric at www.ammoman.com is who I use.

Joe Gunns
January 17, 2007, 06:27 PM
Only complaint I have is the weight. Particularly for distances like between the gun show and the parking lot, I have reached a point where increasing decreptitude has begun to interfere with daily performance -despite exercise and vitamins! :o

It is satisfying being able to grab however much you want/need any time you want without having to run to the store.

Gatordad699
January 17, 2007, 06:30 PM
I use a company that I do not see mentioned here much. Georgia Arms has very good ammo and good prices. If you buy in real bulk, more then $500, $750, and up, depending on were you live, they will pay shipping. I have used them for about 12 years (about 20,000 9mm, 10,000 .40 and 10,000 .223 rounds) and never had a problem. You can also pick them up at most GA and SC gun shows.

ZeSpectre
January 17, 2007, 06:32 PM
Gatordad699
Yeah, +1 on Georgia Arms. I use their "cowboy ammo" and like it a lot.

Joe Gunns,
I have the perfect solution for ya. Staples Expanding Folding Crate on Wheels. http://tinyurl.com/zfkkh

It has a nice strong wheel/axle combo and still folds down to about the size of a briefcase. I take mine to every gunshow now. They say it's good for up to 70 lbs and I believe it as I've piled it with about 2k of SKS ammo with no trouble at all.

ilbob
January 17, 2007, 07:14 PM

You beat me to it.

TooTaxed
January 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
Buying in bulk certainly makes sense...for one thing, ammo isn't getting cheaper! And as long as you store it properly, it's not going to spoil. To save on shipping costs, combine or share an order with a friend. I've advertised on my shooting range bulletin board that I plan to place an order next Friday, and invite others to chime in!:D

scout26
January 17, 2007, 10:17 PM
are then any negs to buying bulk ammo from a reputable manufacturer?

One extremely PO'd UPS delivery person........

evan price
January 18, 2007, 02:36 AM
Buying in bulk gets you shipping discounts and usually a nice sturdy carton or milspec can to store it in. I usually stock up on the case lots and orders are typically 2.5K or more per order. However to maintain these levels, and continue to expand it with a tight budget, I find that just going to Wal*Mart and buying a 100-rd box of WWB or a brick of .22LR every time I go to the shopping center where Wal*Mart is allows me to build my ammo hoard at a fairly brisk pace without denting the household budget... Same rule applies every time I go to the gun store in the city that has good ammo prices. A brick of .22LR or a box or two of 9MM to make the trip worthwhile. $10 spent on ammo every couple weeks adds a large number after a year.
The strategy of starting in bulk and topping off small means I don't have to have another one of those conversations with my wife that usually start out with her waving the credit card statement at me and demanding, "You spent how much? What happened to all that ammo you bought last year?"

Storm
January 23, 2007, 11:02 PM
For me Georgia Arms is a re;atively short drive across town. I went there the first time this past Friday and I'm sure that it will be the first of many trips. With Canned Heat prices are pretty much the same as with Wally World White Box, but my understanding is that it burns much cleaner. As to accuracy I will reserve judgment until after a trip to the range.

My interest with Georgia Arms was in buying .357 Sig which is a new caliber for me, now added to 9mm, .40 and .45. $110 for 500 rounds was fair to me and something that I can't get from Walmart.

Guy B. Meredith
January 24, 2007, 01:30 AM
I have to echo dave_pro2a's sentiment. That is a good reloading session (maybe 3 casual hours) for me. As a competitor that was less than one month's practice ammo. Reloading at $100 for 1000 rounds of high quality .38 spl is a nice thing.

itgoesboom
January 24, 2007, 03:29 AM

:D

Perfect.

Detritus
January 24, 2007, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_pro2a

:D
Perfect.

+1 on that,

yeah, "bulk ammo purchase" means SOMEONE is using a dolly or other "freight shifting device" to move it.
had a neighbor in NC, got a wild hair and his yearly performance bonus at the same time once, bought a Pallet of winchester 12ga D&Q loads, I don't think he's bought any shotgun ammo since...

ZeSpectre
January 24, 2007, 10:33 AM
Side note, Detritus... nice to see another Pratchett Fan! My wife tells me I'm most like Sam Vimes (I can never decide if I should be proud or insulted <grin>).

Back to the regularly scheduled program.

I really can't wait until we move so I can try my hand at re-loading! Oh well, in the meanwhile I hope the floor under my desk can hold up to the gradually mounting weight of ammo cans :D

DMK
January 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
I never buy less than 1,000 at a time. Its not going to go bad or anything.+1 That's my minimum order and where the volume discount usually starts.

Deavis
January 24, 2007, 04:27 PM
Just a suggestion, if you are buying in bulk, why not reload? The price for a new 650XL on LnL is easily paid for very quickly depending on what caliber you shoot. My though is that if you are ready to buy 1k or say 5k rounds at a pop, you could buy the press in the savings and get the satisfaction of your own ammo your way right a way!

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying bulk handgun ammunition...1,000 rds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!