Deer on the ice

PDA

critter
January 20, 2007, 03:57 PM
Anybody see the deer trapped on a frozen lake that was rescued by a chopper pilot using downwash to blow the deer to the shore? Kinda cute.

That, however, reminded me of a 'problem' I once had while deer hunting. In SE AR, we don't usually have much problem with ice, but we did this winter. Lots of rain and then COLD weather (for here). I was muzzle loader hunting after Christmas and was standing in a small lean-to stand.

A big ole doe came ambling by and I shot her with a .54 cal TC Renegade right trough the rib cage. She took off, ran about 30 yards onto a large patch of frozen puddle. Of course, she fell never to rise again.

Did you ever try to drag a dead deer off a patch of ice? (I had to move her about 30' or so.) Believe me, that is no small task as I was slip-sliding all over with ZERO traction. Seemed that the deer had as much or more traction than I did. I was finally successful after several minutes of trying. Interesting problem though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer on the ice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Deer on the ice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!