Taurus Raging Bull vs. Ruger Super Redhawk.

PDA

Greg8098
January 21, 2007, 09:11 PM
Which is the better Revolver? Is the Raging Bull as durable as the Redhawk?

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Raging Bull vs. Ruger Super Redhawk." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
January 21, 2007, 10:31 PM
I have both, tho Bull is in .454 and the Blackhawk in .44 mag.

On balance I would always say that the Rugers are tougher. That is not to say the Bulls will break but if sending real hot loads downrange I have that bit more faith in Rugers - solid one piece frame - built like a tank. Not unburstable but close to it!

borrowedtime69
January 21, 2007, 10:48 PM
get the Ruger, they are over built and are recommended use with hand loads. the taurus is a good gun, accurate enough and well built but just not up to Ruger standards. the taurus isn't built for steady use of magnum loads without experiancing heavy wear n tear. -Eric

Kimber1911_06238
January 21, 2007, 10:50 PM
rugers are built like tanks...a friend has a taurus and hasn't had any problems, but it just seems to be made a little cheaper. besides, I like to buy firearms from american gunmakers....just my $0.02

evan price
January 22, 2007, 04:29 AM
I faced the exact same dillema a year ago. Ruger SRH or a Raging Bull? The Raging Bull has a ported barrel. SRH does not. Both came with excellent recoil absorbing grips.The Ruger feels, looks, and acts like it is a heavier duty better built gun. You only need to push one button to disengage both cylinder latches whereas on the Taurus you have to open the front latch seperately from the rear to open the cylinder. Small detail but shows more engineering. The "feel" of them was the SRH felt like an expensive Snap-On ratchet handle. The Taurus felt like a Stanley or Craftsman ratchet handle. Nice, but not top-of-the-line.
Price was important, since the SRH is costlier than a Taurus.
I had found a Taurus Raging Bull stainless in .44MAG with a scope for $400 used.
Then I found a comparable Ruger SRH in stainless .44MAG with a Red Dot for $425 used. The scope rings were wrong. But minor details.

I bought the SRH.

Steve 48
January 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
I have shot both and both are fine revolvers. I ended up buying the Taurus because it was more accurate with the ammo I was using and the grips do absorb a lot of the recoil with magnum loads. Steve48

Action_Can_Do
January 24, 2007, 03:56 AM
I own a SRH 44 mag and a raging bull 454 casull. In my experience, the raging bull is both more accurate and more comfortable to shoot with heavy recoil. I couldn't say which is tougher since neither have broken yet, but the Super Redhawk feels as solid as a lead pipe.;)

Steve in PA
January 24, 2007, 10:41 AM
I own and hunt with a SRH in .44mag.........never seen anything beat is as far as accuracy. Durability? They will withstand a nuclear blast!

5-shot group at 100yds from a rest. The orange circle is 3" in diameter. Darn flyer ruined a super group.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/pf36aab83de0d1f98d134940feeaa9f27/f6f28375.jpg

rockstar.esq
January 24, 2007, 05:40 PM
Personally I find the "extended frame" of the Super Redhawk to be exceedingly ugly. Further the lack of edge treatment (i.e. burrs on edges) of the SRH to be distressing. Plus Ruger inexplicably won't offer any sort of underlug arrangement which would mitigate it's ugliness to a great extent.

The Taurus Raging Bull series has a modification to thier porting which makes them FAR superior to other ported Tauri. The ports are angled to "10 and 2" which allows you to shoot cast bullets without coating your front sight with grime after the first shot.

The other advantage to the Taurus is that you can find aftermarket stocks intended for S&W that will fit perfectly. Rugers stuff is much more dicey.

The strength of the Ruger seems to get brought up a lot however the Taurus is warrantied for life, the Ruger is not. The capacity to exceed SAMMI loadings for the SRH also convieniently void warranties. After a lot of thought I figured that if I wanted an "uber magnum" I'd just buy a larger/ more powerful gun like the .454's etc.

Grey54956
January 24, 2007, 05:44 PM
Both are decent revolvers. Both are made of decent materials. Both are chambered for the same rounds. Both function just fine. Both will continue to do so for many, many rounds. Probably more than you can keep track of easily. Thousands.

Unless you intend to physically pound the revolver into a tree with a large hammer, all questions of durability are largely unimportant.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Raging Bull vs. Ruger Super Redhawk." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!