Automatic .500 Magnum?

PDA

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
January 22, 2007, 04:19 AM
I'm just hypothesizing, but if someone actually marketed a semi-automatic pistol in .500 S&W Magnum, would anyone buy it?

I have no clue how they could possibly make a reasonably sized grip, among other technical problems. Conjecture on these problems also appreciated.

I'm serious about this, eventually someone's just gotta try it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Automatic .500 Magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Warren
January 22, 2007, 04:26 AM
The magazine need not have to go in the grip.

It could be forward of the trigger, or sticking out from the side, or there could be a tube mag under the barrel.

I think it was the Mars that the rounds were fed into the area just above the grip leaving the grip properly sized for the shooter.

It could also be a revolver like a Fosbery Webley or Mateba.

bestseller92
January 22, 2007, 05:02 AM
Just think of the recoil spring that gun would have to have. I guess they could just take a suspension spring off a Mack truck. :)

GregGry
January 22, 2007, 07:03 AM
It could be done, however the praticality issue comes up. A 500 smith revolver is huge as it is. Making an autoloader that could work with that round would require a very big and bulky frame. ITs unlikely you could have the rounds go through the grip, because you would have to have monsterous hands to hold onto the grip. So now your going to have a exposed mag hanging either infront of or behind the grip. With the mag not going through the grip, you have to extend the size of the pistol more (if you want a decent barrel length) unless you try to make a bulpulp pistol.

Realistically its pointless. It would be bigger, hevier and uglier then a desert eagle. It would likely cost a fortune and not offer anything more then a 500 revolver would. I really don't understand the need for a handgun bigger then 44mag anyways. If I needed something more powerfull then 44mag, I would be using a rifle. Most people should just stick to the desert eagle for their most powerfull autoloader. Its more gun then 98% of people can handle. I have seen well over 24 people with desert eagles at the range. Only 1 or 2 of them could actually hit what they were aiming at accurately at 50 feet. The rest would be lucky if they hit my target a couple bays over.

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
January 22, 2007, 07:58 AM
I know it's not realistic, but that's why I started this; for conjecture

Okiecruffler
January 22, 2007, 06:55 PM
While an auto pistol may be problematic, a little carbine would be a thing to see indeed.

Plastic Cowboy
January 22, 2007, 06:58 PM
An autoloading carbine might be pretty cool. Longer barrel = greater velocity. Talk about devestating!!!

I'm not sure how well autoloaders work with rimmed cases though. I think all autoloaders (correct me if I'm wrong) use rimless or semi-rimmed cases, not sure why!

:confused:

Mad Chemist
January 22, 2007, 07:15 PM
Nope, IIRC there are Desert Eagles chambered in .44mag and .357mag.
There was another manufacturer who's name I can't recall that marketed a .357 pistol that resembled a 1911. I believe these were somewhat rare. Hopefully someone here knows what I'm rambling on about.

Okiecruffler
January 22, 2007, 08:42 PM
DE's feed rimmed cartridges quite well. Ruger makes a dandy little 44mag carbine that works well, but uses a rotary mag. I want to say the 1911 357 was a Bren, but I know that isn't right.:confused:

bluecowdawg
January 22, 2007, 08:52 PM
Coonan .357, and to answer the original question, yes ,someone would buy it:)

boomer1911a1
January 22, 2007, 09:12 PM
Couldn't someone just beef up a DE .50 AE? Wouldn't that be enough gun?

dixierifleman
January 22, 2007, 09:17 PM
its already been answered but yea, the .357 1911 was a Coonan. really interesting piece. id love to have one.

Kalashnikov
January 22, 2007, 09:25 PM
I would buy a .500 carbine in a heartbeat.

pat86323
January 22, 2007, 09:48 PM
boomer thatd be one heck of a beefing up. ie pick up 50 ae pistol throw it away and build a new pistol in 500 mag. That round is no joke

Steve C
January 22, 2007, 10:13 PM
The problem in making a semi auto system with the .500 S&W mag and other cartridges in its class is the pressure the cartridge generates, that is in the rifle catagory of 65,000 psi or so. You need to delay the opening of the action until the chamber pressure drops. Semi auto rifles for high pressure rounds use a gas system as a recoil unlocking system would be extreemly large with a necessary heavy spring. The .44 mag has about 1/2 the pressure of a .500 S&W and you know how large the Deasert Egle is so would a gun that's 2x the weight and size of a DE be a viable option?:eek: I don't think so.

There is a good chance someone will come up with a rifle that uses this round though. There already is a .50 cal Beowulf that's very similar to the .500 S&W in a AR-15 uper and NEF makes a single shot .500 S&W.

hankdatank1362
January 22, 2007, 10:27 PM
How does the Desert Eagle feed rimmed revolver cartridges? I've always wondered, and I assume the same theory would apply to any creation of a .500 magazine, etc.

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
January 23, 2007, 03:08 AM
I wonder if storing the cartridges at an upward angle would solve the grip size problems? That might also present a unique feeding problem, unless they were brought back to level at the top of the magazine?

DoubleTapDrew
January 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
How does the .500S&W compare size-wise to the .50 Beowulf? Alexander Arms already makes a carbine in that caliber and it looks like a barn burner.
You could always get one of those uppers and put it on a pistol lower :eek:

db_tanker
January 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
I think it would be better to have it set up as more of a Wildey pistol than a DE...the Wildey has the advantage of adjustable gas operation...plus a really cool look. :)

of course, it would be only good for mebbe 5 rounds...same as a wheel gun...but those would be a bit more accurate, IMO due to the autoloader bleeding off some of the gas to work the bolt reducing some recoil...

As far as an autoloader rifle goes...makes one wonder when....NOT IF. :evil:

D

DogBonz
January 23, 2007, 09:05 PM
How does the 500S&W stack up to the 50Beowulf? They look as if they stack up pretty close.

mr.trooper
January 24, 2007, 03:12 PM
How does the Desert Eagle feed rimmed revolver cartridges? I've always wondered, and I assume the same theory would apply to any creation of a .500 magazine, etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/mrtrooper/desertschnitt5.gif

The cartridges are offset left to right, and staggered with each rim in front of the last. Very similar to an Enfield rifle.

bromdenlong
January 25, 2007, 06:03 AM
It'd be interesting if S&W or someone put a 16.5 inch barrel and a fixed or detachable buttstock on a .500 S&W X-frame. It'd be kind of a king-sized version of those 1858 Remington revolver carbines from the civil war. I think Cabela's sells modern copies of those.

EddieCoyle
January 25, 2007, 08:40 AM
I'd love to see a non-custom lever gun in .500 S&W Magnum. I have the revolver and Handi-rifle now.

Plastic Cowboy
January 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
bromdenlog- That's a neat idea but it probably wouldn't work. Why you ask??? Well let me tell ya.....

People who own those 1858 Remington revolver carbines usually don't like to shoot them because when you shoulder the weapon you end up with the cyclinder a few inches from your face and your weak hand out in front of the cyclinder. This means when you fire you get blast, fire and metal fragements in your face, arm, and hand!! Not much fun. With a quick google search you could find stories about soldiers experience during the civil war using these weapons, they were generally not well liked for the above reason.

So now, being a proud owner and avid shooter of a full size X-frame S&W 500 myself, I can tell you that you do not want your face or hands anywhere near that cyclinder gap when you touch off a full house load!!! At best you are going to get your bell rung like you wont believe!!! You would actually probably get severe burns and blast damange as well. There are pictures on the internet of fire blowing several feet out of the cyclinder gap of a 500 mag when firing.

My feeling is that the big .50 caliber round belongs out in-front of you in a two handed grip where it is safely away from your face, or contained safely behind the hardend steel of a fully enclosed rifle action.

.......just my thoughts, feel free to disagree but if you were to actually get a 500 revolving carbine- I would let someone else shoot it first!!!

;)

bromdenlong
February 10, 2007, 07:05 PM
Plastic Cowboy:

I always just figured people put their support hand under their trigger hand when shooting those carbines. I figured it was an inconvenience, but worth the multiple shots and potentially quick reloads (with extra cylinders). I never tried shooting a revolver that way, up close to my face, but your description of it tempts me to take your word for it, rather than test it for myself. If I do test it out, I think I'll wear a full face mask of some kind. I always wear both plugs and muffs, so no need to fear for my hearing while shooting a .38.

DogBonz
February 10, 2007, 07:29 PM
in a word NO.

In a carbine Hell yea! But some one already does, well sort of... It's 50 Beowulf, which has about the same ballistics as the 500S&W. Here you go, check it out:

http://www.50beowulf.com/

Scroll all the way down to the bottom, under 50 Beowulf videos. It is titled: "Full Auto Beowulf by Thorfinn"

Monkeybear
February 10, 2007, 09:01 PM
Six Shot Lever Action .500sw Carbine Rifle

10-Ring
February 12, 2007, 12:10 AM
I can only imagine this through a Desert Eagle type platform...interesting idea tho

Eightball
February 12, 2007, 12:18 AM
I can only imagine this through a Desert Eagle type platform...interesting idea thoThe only thought that ran through my head at reading that sentance was "the PAIN! :eek: "

If whatever it was going to be ever happened, the magazine couldn't be in the grip, unless you can wrap your middle finger and thumb around a brick comfortably.

5Wire
February 13, 2007, 01:21 AM
Alaskan Copilot (http://www.wildwestguns.com/CoPilot_And_Guide_Rifles/aksafclubcp.jpg).
http://www.wildwestguns.com/CoPilot_And_Guide_Rifles/aksafclubcp.jpg

http://www.wildwestguns.com/CoPilot_And_Guide_Rifles/AssembledSafClubCP.jpg

Here are cartridges for the chamberings:

http://www.wildwestguns.com/Shellsactualsize.jpg

and the power comparison:

http://www.wildwestguns.com/Ammunition/PowerChart.gif

Or the Bushwacker (http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/bushwacker.html) in two of the same chamberings.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/Smallbushwacker11.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Automatic .500 Magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!