I Need a Good Gunsmith

PDA

Sulaco
May 31, 2003, 10:50 PM
I am in SC and don't really know of any "quality" gunsmith's around here.

I have a rifle I want to have the action bedded in and the barrel either bedded or free-floated.

Anyone know any good smith's around these parts? If not, I would be willing to send it to a smith elsewhere.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "I Need a Good Gunsmith" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
George Hill
June 1, 2003, 12:00 AM
http://www.madogre.com/Gunsmith%20Directory.htm

Oops... nothing for South Carolina.
If you find a good one, let me know so I can add him to the Roster.

hps1
June 1, 2003, 12:26 AM
George:

Very handy roster!

I noticed you had only one gunsmith listed in Colorado and he seems to be a pistolsmith. Dave Sullivan is an excellent gunsmith @:

Westwind Rifles Inc.
P. O. Box 261
640 Briggs St.
Erie, Co. 80516
(303)828-3823

Dave builds excellent highpower match rifles but also does benchrest, sporters, etc.

Regards,
hps

Sunray
June 1, 2003, 01:06 AM
Geeuz, Sulaco. No yellow pages where you are? Go talk to the local guys. There must be a gun store near you with a smithy. Go ask 'em. Any smithy should be able to do that. With an Accraglas kit from Brownell's, you could do it yourself.

Byron Quick
June 1, 2003, 01:19 AM
Jim Moats at the Gun Rack in Aiken, SC is one of the best. He's elderly now and I haven't seen him in a year or so. There might have been changes in his health.

Walter Schmidt of Schmidt's Gun Service is a good man for rifles in Augusta, Georgia.

Where in SC would help folks know what to tell you.

WalkerTexasRanger
June 1, 2003, 11:08 AM
Speedy Gonzales - SG&Y Rifles..

Do a search over at Yahoo, but I think sgyrifles.com

Awesome work and a great reputation in the B/R community. Has all his services listed on the website...

Good Shooting!!!!

Sulaco
June 1, 2003, 01:41 PM
Byron, Aiken is where most of the guys around here take their rifles. I will more than likely do the same. I will check with the two you mentioned. Thanks.

Walker, thanks for the link. I will check with him as well.

George Hill
June 1, 2003, 02:24 PM
Okay, I have added 2 more names to my directory...
Gentry and Sullivan. Thanks guys.
I want my list to be not a mere phone book, but a roster of recomended gunsmiths.
So if you see a name on my list and the guy is just a hack, I'll remove the name.
Good Gunsmiths are a dying breed.
I don't want anyone on my list that just graduated from a TV advertised corespondance course. I will only list the best. This means from personal recommendations.
Most of this list was compiled from TFL member recomendations.

Clemson
June 1, 2003, 06:08 PM
John Lewis has a good reputation:

CAROLINA PRECISION RIFLES, JOHN LEWIS, GUNSMITH, CUSTOM RIFLES, REPAIRS, 1200 OLD JACKSON HWY, JACKSON, SC 29831 803-827-2069

CB900F
June 1, 2003, 06:16 PM
I noticed that Wyoming has only one 'smith listed. I woulda laughed if that wasn't so sad. In any case:

DGS Gunsmithing Inc.
Dale Storey prop.
1117 E. 12th
Casper, Wyoming
(307)237-2414

Dale has done excellent work for me in the past. I would not hesitate to go to his shop for either wood or metal work. He is, however, primarily a riflesmith.
900F

George Hill
June 1, 2003, 06:17 PM
THX....

George Hill
June 1, 2003, 06:23 PM
Got these two new ones added. Awesome. Thanks again.

Tamara
June 2, 2003, 02:19 AM
What? No Tennessee listing?

Shannon Jennings at Randy's Guns & Knives (5703 N. Broadway, Knoxville, TN 37918, (865)688-0077) is a broadly talented 'smith, as well as being a gentleman and a scholar.

Byron Quick
June 2, 2003, 02:27 AM
I'd forgotten all about Carolina Precision Rifles...I guess I consider him more of a manufacturer.

I've got one of his rifles...sweet. .35 Whelen built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action, curly maple stock, QD mounts, Leupold 1.5X5 scope. I need to contact him about the details of my rifle such as barrel mfg, twist rate, etc. I bought it second hand so I don't have details.

ScottsGT
June 2, 2003, 08:35 AM
I've had good luck with Marineau Gunworks here in Columbia. He refinished my Garand and did a wonderful job on it. I don't think he is even listed in the phone book anymore since he uses a cell phone. His number is 803-463-4925.
(BTW, the repark on the Garand was 1 week, ever hear of a gunsmith getting something done that quick?)

Sulaco
June 2, 2003, 08:48 AM
I know Mike Marineau. I have taken him a few things in the past. I think he does decent work but I am looking for someone with a little more experience to work on this rifle.

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I have a few to contact now.

Byron Quick
June 2, 2003, 09:22 AM
I'd go with Jim Moats if he's still healthy. Carolina Precision Rifles would be a good choice too. The trigger on my CPR has to be experienced to be believed.

If you enjoyed reading about "I Need a Good Gunsmith" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!