What is the fine and jail sentence for stealing a firearm from a Gun Shop?

PDA

The Rifleman
January 22, 2007, 05:10 PM
Just want to see how many of you know what the fine and jail time is for stealing a firearm from a Gun Shop.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the fine and jail sentence for stealing a firearm from a Gun Shop?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PILMAN
January 22, 2007, 05:14 PM
I would think it'd be considered the same as stealing a firearm from a house, probably a serious felony and anywhere from 10 years in prison or more.

Why? Were you planning something?

jcs271
January 22, 2007, 05:25 PM
EVERY state will be different. How you steal it will dictate whether they charge you with grand theft, burglary, embezzelment, robbery etc. Is it first offense, "3rd strike". Are there state enhancements specifically for firearm theft.

The possibilities go on and on and on.............................

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 22, 2007, 05:26 PM
It would depend on the jurisdiction in which it which the case tried. Is it being tried in federal court and subject to mandatory sentencing guidelines? Even then, it would depend whether it was burglary, robbery, aggravated or not, etc.

If you are going to ask silly questions to test our knowledge, at least give enough information for us to play along at home.

Zundfolge
January 22, 2007, 05:38 PM
Value of the gun is also going to be a factor.

Stealing a $150 Jennings isn't as serious as steeling a $1200 1911

CDignition
January 22, 2007, 05:40 PM
Stealing one from a dealer will bring more heat that stealing one from a home

Mannlicher
January 22, 2007, 05:40 PM
what a question. wow.

Zundfolge
January 22, 2007, 05:47 PM
Actually, now that I think about it. If you steal from a gun shop it may be considered a federal crime because the gun shop is a Federally Licensed business (at the very least the boys from F-Troop will be part of the team investigating the theft).

sacp81170a
January 22, 2007, 05:50 PM
Stealing one from an FFL gets 10 years and a $50,000 fine, IIRC.

Outlaw Man
January 22, 2007, 06:04 PM
/\/\/\/\ I believe that's right.

Were you reading the comics? LOL (http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/pearls-20070106.html)

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 22, 2007, 06:09 PM
Well, assuming it becomes a federal case, it would be a violation of 922(u) (added in the Brady Bill) which is subject to 10 years, under title 18, or both.

It's from the Brady Bill, which original asked for a fine of not more than $10K.

But, not every case goes to federal court. There's a chance any given case would stay local.

I'm still not sure what the point of this was, just to find out if anyone had actually read section 922?

MikeK
January 22, 2007, 06:11 PM
This doesn't answer the question, but is related, Passing a bad check for a gun purchase is considered theft of the gun - in Md anyway.

jnojr
January 22, 2007, 06:15 PM
Why is "Gun Shop" capitalized???

wooderson
January 22, 2007, 06:23 PM
My friendly local shop got robbed last year (owner out sick, daughter handling the store - she was armed but didn't have time when five teens rushed her) - all juveniles, none of them got more than a year in juvie even though they refused to give up the location of the guns they stole and who they sold them to.

Correia
January 22, 2007, 06:51 PM
The penalty here is that you probably get shot during the theft. :)

Mainsail
January 22, 2007, 06:53 PM
A couple years ago when they caught the sniper who was terrorizing the east coast (Virginia wasn’t it?), they discovered he got his gun from Bull’s Eye gun shop in Tacoma (Washington). I was talking to the owner of another gun shop and he commented that Bulls Eye would probably say the gun was stolen.

The next day they did exactly that. How do you steal a rifle from a gun store?

Diesel man
January 22, 2007, 07:09 PM
If you stole a gun from a gun shop the gun dealer will chase you even after miles of running and once he gets close to you he will throw uranium dust in your eyes and spill hydrocloric acid on your hands.And splash a cup of hot coffee in your face.Thats worse than any jail sentence or fine.

Or If your speeding away in a car the gun dealer will chase you in his truck or old cadillac and follow you even after you drive for hours and reach another state he will follow you until you run out of gas and once your car stops the gun dealer will come out of his car with a baseball bat and break windows in your car and break and dent most of the car.Then he will pull you out of the driver side window by your hair or ear if your bald to the road pavement.
After that he removes his leather glove and pulls out a long fingernail and scratches your face with the letters "denied" on your fore head.And takes back his gun and leaves and heads back to the gun shop leaving you in the woods alone.
Ask silly questions expect silly answers:)

Harry Paget Flashman
January 22, 2007, 07:36 PM
The FFL I do business with had a break-in about a dozen years ago by two local youngsters. They got probation and a judgment for restitution. Despite letters to the court he's never seen a dime. Nobody in the local CJ system has any interest in enforcing the judgment.

Last year, same FFL guy was broken into and several semi-auto pistols were stolen. They had a good deputy working the case and found the perp, a young lady who was small enough to crawl through a small window, and her 2 male accomplices within a week. All were druggies. The handgun serial numbers had been ground off, the guns sold but recovered. He says he may get the guns back, but after a trial and "after BATFE figures out to pencil engrave some new serial numbers on them so can become saleable." (His words. He's a pragmatic cynic.)

rbernie
January 22, 2007, 07:39 PM
Wait a bit more, and then ask Adam Terry (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=247895).

razorburn
January 22, 2007, 09:56 PM

People on THR like to capitalize all sorts of weird things. It makes them feel special, like they're honoring whatever they're capitalizing, I guess. You don't see it much on other boards, kind of a strange in board phenomenon.

TallPine
January 22, 2007, 10:02 PM

Because stealing from a Gun Shop is a Capital Crime ;)

-terry
January 22, 2007, 10:11 PM
TallPine,

Arrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh. :barf:

Pilgrim
January 22, 2007, 11:33 PM
Value of the gun is also going to be a factor.
In the PDRK, the value is irrelevant. Theft of a firearm is grand theft, a felony. It gets worse if it is coupled with burgalry or robbery.

Pilgrim

kfranz
January 22, 2007, 11:45 PM
How do you steal a rifle from a gun store?

Prolly the same way as folks that steal machine guns from cop cars. Yes, it has happened locally. I also, a long time ago in a life far far away, knew a fellow that swiped the lights from atop the cop car...:rolleyes:

The Rifleman
January 22, 2007, 11:50 PM
Today, 04:50 PM #10
sacp81170a

Stealing one from an FFL gets 10 years and a $50,000 fine, IIRC.

That's what it is.. A Federal Offense.. Not like taking one out of someones home. Scott Grice told me that one day while I was shopping in his store. One of his customers asked him if the reason why he wore a pistol was because he was worried about someone stealing a gun out of his store.

All the rifles are chained to the display case - with a lock that you could not take out of the trigger mech without a key.

He wears the gun because there is over 10,000,000 worth of inventory in his store and they might sell $20,000 of guns in one day. There is probably more money in his safe at the end of one day than there is in Clearfield Bank and Trust..

gunsmith
January 23, 2007, 12:29 AM
fed offenses may be uniform, states are whole nother story

GreenFurniture
January 23, 2007, 12:42 AM
:eek:

brentwal
January 23, 2007, 03:31 AM
Depends on how good of a shot the gun shop commandos are.

berettashotgun
January 23, 2007, 05:28 AM
Last summer in OKC at a store called Outdoor America, a 1 ARMED (missing a body part-arm/hand/fingers) man stole pistols from the case unnoticed except by the video cameras. In short pants, and velcro strap shoes,( guess he had trouble tying them:neener: ), anyways- the guy swiped ~ GET THIS a smith 500 , a smith 460, and TWO kimbers; he made 2 trips inside the shop for his loot. Did I forget to mention he was wearing cargo SHORT PANTS??? It was on the local news for a few minutes- then nothing.................. haven't heard about it since. Obvious joke- the smith's were the hunter model, a true two-hander. Now to answer your question with a question, find myself doing that more and more- started acting just like my WIFE:banghead: , how much weed were you carrying when you took the guns from the shop?? Have to be on some kind of dope

tomhorn
January 23, 2007, 08:03 AM
If you steal it from me the sentence is real harsh matter of fact you wont even know how harsh its that harsh <<<<

Working Man
January 23, 2007, 08:33 AM
The penalty here is that you probably get shot during the theft.

Correia, not sure why but that made me laugh like an idiot. :D Perhaps its too early.

Outlaw Man
January 23, 2007, 12:49 PM
I looked through my C&R paperwork last night as I thought I remembered seeing it. Sure enough, there's a placard stating that theft of a firearm from a federally licensed dealer can be punished by up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. State penalties notwithstanding, of course.

Glockfan.45
January 23, 2007, 12:58 PM
At my favorite little gun shop I figure your sentence would be life, and the fine would be passed to your next of kin via the funeral costs. There are usually 3+ armed people working there, and always a loaded shotgun against the wall behind the register.

EOD Guy
January 23, 2007, 01:15 PM
Here is the applicable Federal law right from the BATF web site..

18 U.S.C. § 922(j). Prohibits the possession, concealment, storage, bartering, selling, or disposing of stolen firearms and ammunition, knowing or having reason to believe the firearm or ammunition is stolen. Punishable by up to 10 years.

18 U.S.C. § 922(u). Prohibits stealing or unlawfully taking away firearms from the business inventory of a Federal firearms licensee. Punishable by up to 5 years.

18 U.S.C. § 922(l). Prohibits stealing a firearm which has moved in commerce. Punishable by up to 10 years.

jeep-2
January 23, 2007, 01:22 PM
Here is the applicable Federal law right from the BATF web site..

18 U.S.C. § 922(j). Prohibits the possession, concealment, storage, bartering, selling, or disposing of stolen firearms and ammunition, knowing or having reason to believe the firearm or ammunition is stolen. Punishable by up to 10 years.

18 U.S.C. § 922(u). Prohibits stealing or unlawfully taking away firearms from the business inventory of a Federal firearms licensee. Punishable by up to 5 years.

18 U.S.C. § 922(l). Prohibits stealing a firearm which has moved in commerce. Punishable by up to 10 years.
and if you already have a police record-felony you could add on another 25 yrs

gezzer
January 23, 2007, 11:24 PM
Stealing a firearm from an FFL is a big time Federal Felony

See signature

jhco50
January 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
I don't know, what kind did you get.:what:

JD0608
January 24, 2007, 02:40 AM
if i`m in my gun shop and can get my glock 17 out of my holster, it will probably be a very costly crime for the crook.. anyway there is a federal charge if you steal a gun from an ffl. (18 u.s.c. 922 u) statute says theft of firearm from a federally licensed dealer is punishable by imprisonment for up to 10 years and a fine of $250,000.00.

January 24, 2007, 02:09 PM
Several pistols were stolen in a breakin of a gun shop in Virginia.One of the guns made it to Las Vegas,where it was used in a murder.
The young man who stole the guns was sent to Vegas to stand trail for that murder,because he was the one who stole the pistol.
He was found guilty,inspite of the fact that the gun had gone through several people before it got to the person who commited the crime.
I don't know how much time he got,or what they convicted him of,but he is in jail in Nevada now.

Nortonics
January 24, 2007, 02:21 PM
The penalty here is that you probably get shot during the theft.

Hmmm... Sounds good on paper. I wonder if the guys in the Camden, MN gun shop murders back many years ago knew that? Or how all the guys in the more recent Richfield, MN gun shop holdup felt as they watched their lives flashing before their eyes?

Truth be said, gun shops are one of the top places I visit where my attention is among its highest level.

FireArmFan
January 24, 2007, 03:36 PM
"How do you steal a rifle from a gun store?"

You'd be surprised what people can steal. I work at Menards and i saw video surveillance of a guy stealing an interior door. He just picked it up, threw it over his head and walked out the front entrance.

f4t9r
January 24, 2007, 03:44 PM
If you are planning , I would say do not do it. :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the fine and jail sentence for stealing a firearm from a Gun Shop?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!