Remington 870 mods?

PDA

LadyNikon
January 23, 2007, 09:06 AM
Greetings everyone,

I am looking to mod my Remington 870. I shot it for the first time at an MSI event and almost fell over. ( Picture granny shotting her gun but younger and bit taller). Any suggestions? I want to shorten the barrel to the 18inches and swap out the buttstock for something shorter. I saw a nice one here.. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_870_cs_pg.asp . How ever I have been told that collapsible buttstocks are not allowed in Maryland or will soon not be allowed in Maryland. :fire:

Suggestions? :evil:

If you have any mod pics I would love to see em :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 mods?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zach S
January 23, 2007, 09:46 AM
I dont know much about MD gunlaws, but if they have an AWB, and if I was a gamblin' man, I'd bet that it only applys to semi-autos, meaning a collapsable or folding stock on a pump shotgun is okay.

Rather than shortening the barrel, I'd suggest buying one that accepts screw-in chokes. I dont know if remington offers them or not. I like mossbergs, and they dont offer squat when it comes to short barrels threaded for chokes.

daysleeprx
January 23, 2007, 12:39 PM
I'd take a look at the Knoxx SpecOPS stock if you're considering the wilson one. It allegedly has great recoil reduction.

556A2
January 23, 2007, 12:46 PM
LadyNikon: Instead of cutting down your barrel, you would be better off just buying a spare 870 Police barrel with a fixed I/C choke. Remington does also offer some other short barrels that have Rem-Choke capabilities if you desire it.

I don't know about the Wilson set-up, but the Knoxx Spec-Ops is supposedly a very good stock with good recoil reduction. I personally like Speedfeed's IV-S since I tend to only like AR-15s with CAR/M4 stocks.

KMBRTAC45
January 23, 2007, 12:57 PM
I agree with the two posters above. I put the Knoxx SpecOps stock on my 870 and it reduced the recoil by about half.

ApexinM3
January 23, 2007, 01:40 PM
I concur on the Knoxx. I have one on my M590A1 & it works like a charm in adjustability as well as recoil reduction. Great for my GF, she uses it as her HD boomstick.

If you must have a really cool collapsable stock system & have money to burn, the Mesa Tactical unit is top notch. See their URL:

Mesa Tactical (http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55)

I have their shell holder for my Benellis & can't say enough good things about them. Also, Mitche from MT is a really super guy, very down to earth & get along with.

Fred Fuller
January 23, 2007, 01:58 PM
LN,

Shotgun fit is a critical aspect of shooting well and comfortably. By all means do what you have to in order to make your shotgun fit you. Get a good gunsmith to help you.

Wood stocks are easier for gunsmiths to mod in most cases. More than likely shortening the stock (aka shortening the length of pull) is the biggest thing you need to have done in that department. When you get the stock shortened to fit you, invest in a premium recoil pad as well- a Limbsaver/Remington R3, KickEez, Pachmayer Decelerator- will help a lot.

I'd also suggest that you use a 9" field length forearm, if your gun doesn't have one as is. That gives you a bit more to hang onto and doesn't require you to extend your support hand/arm quite as far, making it easier to control the gun.

Stick to low-recoiling loads as much as you can as well. If your gun is a 12 ga. there is a wide variety of low recoil loads available.

Lastly, you're better off buying a factory produced short barrel. There are loads of 18- 20" smoothbore barrels available. The newer ones have factory fixed ImpCyl chokes, some may even have been fitted with choke tubes too. Just be sure to get one that matches the magazine cap retaining method your gun uses (detent on the barrel ring, or detent in the magazine spring retainer for newer Express guns).

Good luck with the process, stay safe!

lpl/nc

LadyNikon
January 24, 2007, 06:37 PM
The reason why I would like to shorten the barrel is so that I can hold the gun properly. It seems just to long! I was also told by the manager of the shooting range that alot of women buy child size shotguns to deal with it.

Thank you all btw I really appreciate your responses :D

IDriveB5
January 24, 2007, 08:53 PM
Most buy the youth model guns for the shorter stocks, not for the shorter barrel.

What area of the state do you live in? There are several very knowledgable folks in this state that are always willing to help out a new shotgunner. Especially if he/she shoots an 870 :)

What type of shooting did you do? The clay games are a great way to learn a shotgun.

skynyrd1911
January 24, 2007, 09:42 PM
Where would one find a Knoxx SpecOPS stock?

wdlsguy
January 24, 2007, 09:57 PM
You might consider the following:

A youth stock set (http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/synthetic_stocks.asp).

An R3 recoil pad (http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/r3_recoil_pad.asp).

"Reduced recoil" or "tactical" buckshot and slug loads, if you're shooting buckshot or slugs.

Dave McCracken
January 24, 2007, 10:16 PM
Fit and form are both crucial. If we can match up schedules, I'll be happy to show you Shotgun 101 live at PGC some time soon.

Busting clays is great practice and much fun.

And, there's a Youth model 870 here in 20 gauge my kids won't mind you trying out.

Meanwhile, put down the hacksaw....

jojosdad
January 24, 2007, 10:30 PM
Where would one find a Knoxx SpecOPS stock?
Right here: http://www.knoxx.com/
(google http://www.google.com is your friend) :neener:

LadyNikon
January 26, 2007, 12:53 AM
I am in Columbia MD. Thanks Dave I may have to take you up on that :).

Dave McCracken
January 26, 2007, 09:08 AM
I'm in Columbia also, Lady. Check your PMs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 mods?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!