New EMF Hartford Model 1892

PDA

Dave Markowitz
June 1, 2003, 09:38 AM
I got a new toy yesterday, an EMF Hartford Model 1892 lever action rifle in .357 Magnum. Mine is a short rifle -- 20" octagonal barrel, no barrel band, and a crescent buttplate. It was made by Rossi in Brazil and is a replica of a Winchester Model 1892. Surplus City had just received a few of them in stock. A couple, including mine, were blued while a couple had case-hardened receivers. Aside from the .357 I got he had one in .45 Colt, but I wanted the smaller bore.

The bluing is well done. The stock is pretty plain but fitted well to the metal. With the octagonal barrel the gun has a pretty good balance to it. Between the weight of the barrel and lack of a barrel band, I'm hoping that it shoots accurately. The front sight is a flat-faced gold bead while the rear is a full buckhorn which is drift-adjustable for windage and has a notched ladder for elevation.

My intended uses for the rifle are informal target shooting, plinking, and maybe hunting. I figure a .357 load with a 158 grain Gold Dot ought to work pretty well on a Pennsylvania whitetail, while lighter loads could work for smaller game.

If you enjoyed reading about "New EMF Hartford Model 1892" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iamkris
June 1, 2003, 10:00 AM
I have a Rossi Puma 92 (Rossi's branded version of your gun). Mine is stainless with a 24" bbl in 45 Colt. Only other difference is the stupid safety Rossi puts on top of the bolt but Steve Young (specializes in Rossi gunsmithing) is taking that off.

I slicked up my action, but a set of Bunkhouse springs in it, changed the crappy Rossi sights to a Marbles Full Buckhorn and fron gold beaded blade and refinished the stock (Rossi ships them with ugly black stain).

I shoot mine in CAS and it is a tackdriver. Accurate and reliable. I intend never to get rid of this rifle.

Dave Markowitz
June 2, 2003, 06:40 PM
Hi Kris,

Glad to hear you like yours. Thankfully, the EMF version doesn't have a safety other than the half-cock notch -- the way John Browning intended the rifle to be.

I can hardly wait to shoot mine.

If you enjoyed reading about "New EMF Hartford Model 1892" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!