Guns and education level

PDA

razorburn
January 23, 2007, 09:18 PM
An offshoot of the guns and trucks poll, more about our demographic. What level of education are we at?

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns and education level" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
January 23, 2007, 09:21 PM
BSEE, MS Management.

MikePGS
January 23, 2007, 09:23 PM
I'm still in college. Like the guns and trucks thread, you should make this one into a poll:P

razorburn
January 23, 2007, 09:24 PM
Just did. You have to post the thread first before making a poll as a secondary option.

History Prof
January 23, 2007, 09:35 PM
PhD

Barbara
January 23, 2007, 09:38 PM
I think these things are sort of self-selecting. People with advanced education are more likely to vote so they can say so..and many gun owners don't post on THR or even have much use for the internet in general.

That being said, I have a business degree (BA.)

bear71
January 23, 2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Barbara,

I don't necessarily think so, I have a couple years of college but actually make a living with a tech degree, real estate actually and I don't know many phd holders that make more than I do by the hour. It really comes down to how education is applied, doesn't it?

zero_chances
January 23, 2007, 09:52 PM
Still in high school (On level, not behind:) )

MS .45
January 23, 2007, 09:58 PM
B.S. in Sociology.

distra
January 23, 2007, 10:03 PM
PhD

carterbeauford
January 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
BA in sociology.

cavman
January 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
PhD Immunology

razorburn
January 23, 2007, 10:08 PM
I think these things are sort of self-selecting. People with advanced education are more likely to vote so they can say so..and many gun owners don't post on THR or even have much use for the internet in general.

No perfect sampling exists at all and this is a problem with any grouping, but yes, this may be more polarizing. Someone who busted their butt for 10 years earning a Phd is more likely to be proud of it and want to show it off than a high school dropout. I included the student enrolled in x program to try encourage more participation, as people are more likely to want to share their plans for the future if they're not necessarily happy where they are now. Still, 39 votes and 120+ views, so there's probably some selection going on. But it's a poll for mostly for our entertainment and to express our views within our community, not some serious analytical paper.

Hoppy590
January 23, 2007, 10:10 PM
i'm currently in program for bachelors of science in Criminal justice. I MIGHT go for a masters. i don't know yet. despite what you may see here on THR, i am educated. i just dont put much effort into internet postings. (were all friends here)

gun owners arnt the bubba's everyone thinks we are.

LeafsFan
January 23, 2007, 10:11 PM
I work full time, while taking college classes at night. I held off on my education for 8 years to work and support my wife while she got her PhD.

Now it's my turn to hit the books. :)

The Burnside Ninja
January 23, 2007, 10:12 PM
Bachelor's in Psychology.

TheBigBulgarian
January 23, 2007, 10:13 PM
Bachelors in Computer Science. MCP and MCSA Certs as well.

Tom C.
January 23, 2007, 10:14 PM
Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering

History Prof
January 23, 2007, 10:21 PM
Bachelor's in Psychology.My wife has one of those. I consider her a gun owner now, since she "confiscated" my S&W Model 19 to be hers. I was all happy one day when she came home with Hogue grips for it. I though it was a gift until she said "put these on my gun, ok?" I know how you psych people operate.:D :D

YK
January 23, 2007, 10:30 PM
MD.

FireArmFan
January 23, 2007, 10:32 PM
I am currently en route to getting my bachelors degree

Huddog
January 23, 2007, 10:45 PM
JD

gbell
January 23, 2007, 10:48 PM
currently finishing my Bachelor's of science in education, and more than likely going for my Master's of education before I take a break.

Dionysusigma
January 23, 2007, 10:51 PM
Something tells me the distribution is more representative of those who use the internet, and ineffectively represents any correlation betwen level of education and ownership.

That said, college dropout/ headed to tech school. :)

Ponygirl
January 23, 2007, 10:52 PM
I am 2 quarters away from graduating with a degree in Chemistry.
I've been out of college for a couple of years though...my husband got sick & I've been taking care of him. I'm too tired right now to do both.

Cuda
January 23, 2007, 11:07 PM
BSCS, BSEE and an MBA..

C

MTMilitiaman
January 23, 2007, 11:09 PM
I put down high school diploma because that is the latest I have completed. I actually have about 90 credits towards a B.S in Political Science. The problem is I took two years of general studies in which I screwed around too much, and financial aid drops off after four years. I had to drop out cause I couldn't afford it anymore, and now I have to wait until my military career is finished before I can finish my degree. I consider myself of average or maybe above average intelligence. No genius, but I can usually figure stuff out if I put my mind to it.

busy_squirrel
AS in CNS, working on BS in BM.

ArfinGreebly
I have a high school diploma.

I'm probably not your "typical" high school grad.

I've worked in Software & Firmware Engineering for 25+ years. When I started, there was no degree in what I do.

And, BECAUSE there was no degree in what I do, when the local college needed someone to teach programming for these "new fangled" microcomputers, I got a phone call, asking if I felt I could teach a class or two.

At this point, I already had more than ten years of direct experience with advanced and remedial education techniques (as a volunteer overseas), so I said, "sure, I'll give it a try."

I taught multiple computer languages (as an adjunct instructor) at the college for five years, until I had a "gentlemanly dispute" with a department head over updating our curriculum (you can't stagnate in the IT field), and I was not invited back the following year.

No, I don't have a degree. Dozens of my students do, though. Some really bright individuals there. Makes a fella proud.

Makes you wonder, though . . . who awarded whom the first doctorate? The first master's? The first bachelor's degree? And what qualified HIM to declare that someone else was "highly educated?"

Ever wonder?

MSGT9410
January 23, 2007, 11:10 PM
I graduate from high school in June :)

(Also ranked 4th in my class for what it's worth)

MachIVshooter
January 23, 2007, 11:16 PM
Dropped out and started working when I was 15. Got my GED a year later. No college.

LHB1
January 23, 2007, 11:17 PM
Bachelor's degree in Math. Masters degree in Computer Science.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Ian
January 23, 2007, 11:18 PM
AS in MET. But I fervently believe that real education comes from doing, not school.

Prince Yamato
January 23, 2007, 11:20 PM
I think a lot of this is generational too. I am currently at work on my PhD. My generation (the current crop of 20 somethings) pretty much requires you to have a PhD to get a teaching position at the university level. Many college students are now going on to get masters degrees to get better business-related jobs. My colleagues and I are of the opinion that the next generation's Masters degrees are going to be valued the same as my generation's BA degrees. Go back in time and the value is inverted.

But I fervently believe that real education comes from doing, not school.

This is also very true. I can't tell you how many Dr. So and Sos I've met in this or that field who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, yet get tenure.

greener
January 23, 2007, 11:21 PM
Ph. D.

Not sure what the education level means, unless you are trying to prove to the anti-gunners that gun owners are not knuckle-dragging uneducated louts. Just remember, they aren't confused by facts.

goldshlagerxx
January 23, 2007, 11:45 PM
J.D.

Babarsac
January 23, 2007, 11:46 PM
BS in Geography\GIS...I'm the map nerd of the family.

My dad has a PHD and we don't even allow him to use power tools (think absent minded professor:rolleyes: )

PS. I'm the first person in my family to ever own firearms.

MrDig
January 23, 2007, 11:52 PM
Have Tech School diploma in Food Service, and Commercial Photography.
Wish I had never forgone a College Degree.
Does J.D. mean Juris Doctorate?

Kankujoe
January 24, 2007, 12:07 AM
Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate and a few post doctoral credentials...

2TransAms
January 24, 2007, 12:16 AM
You missed one...homeschooled. Graduated when I was 15 and never went to college, to my grandma's dismay. I stayed with my dad in the family business (construction). Hey, I like my job. I couldn't sit at a computer all day.

Cato the Younger
January 24, 2007, 12:23 AM
I have a Bachelor's in History, and I am currently working on my J.D. Honestly, my love of guns has caused me to seek more education- so that I can afford to feed my habit! Having said that, my father has a restaurant, and he makes more money than alot of lawyers that I know!

Donut
January 24, 2007, 12:28 AM
Well, it's complicated. LOL

I was about a year into a college (Mostly Chemistry classes) when I found out I could write... so rather than switch majors, I got a job as an editor for a publishing company and effectively dropped out of college. Who could turn down a job writing about racecars

I'm restarting a class at a time (In the Honors program, no less) until I can transfer to USC, at which time I'll start full-time schooling again. More than likely in the Pharmacology program. Someday they'll call me "Doctor".

MikeH
January 24, 2007, 12:33 AM
BSEE, MS Computer and Systems Engineering

The results here seem to coincide with people I come across at the range. Many are highly educated, some appear to be my professional colleagues. Of course, we all have the unspoken understanding to talk guns only, not shop.

VMIRat1995
January 24, 2007, 12:39 AM
G.E.D.

"Good Enough Degree" here.

razorburn
January 24, 2007, 12:42 AM
Makes you wonder, though . . . who awarded whom the first doctorate? The first master's? The first bachelor's degree? And what qualified HIM to declare that someone else was "highly educated?"

Ever wonder?

I believe you write a dissertation or some sort of project, which is reviewed by your peers and recognized experts in the field to receive your Phd. I haven't even finished up my BS though, so ask one of the Doc's on here to be sure of what they had to do. But it dates back to antiquity. In the old world's guild system, skilled workers would submit a project known as a masterpiece to be reviewed by peers and experts as proof of their knowledge of the craft to be raised from Journeyman to Master status, somewhat similar to how things still work today. And universities date back over 1,500 years, so it's always existed in some form. Plato's Academy is one of the first, and I guess he might've deemed who he considered his peer. Generally, it's acceptance as an equal by what's recognized the foremost experts in a field.

gun owners are not knuckle-dragging uneducated louts. Just remember, they aren't confused by facts.

Yeah, pretty much for our entertainment and if it means spearing another one of our stereotypes, like the pick up truck/gun thing, all the better.

dixierifleman
January 24, 2007, 01:32 AM
well i own guns and trucks(all ive ever owned, all i will own) and i got kicked out of school for fightin halfway through my senior year. i got my HS diploma and my GED. im enlisted in the Marines, cause college and school aint for me. i do, however, plan on gettin a degree and have the .gov pay for it.

MilSpec.45
January 24, 2007, 01:45 AM
I graduate in May with a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance.

Rem700SD
January 24, 2007, 01:58 AM
Double BS in Biochemistry and Genetics, never used. I work as a Medical Technologist, and I'm debating Chemical engineering or an MBA.

Dan

dixierifleman
January 24, 2007, 02:01 AM
high education can be had by anyone. and not everyone with a degree has common sense. common sense has more to do with firearms than education. ive met college grads that were book-smart, but couldnt change a tire and didnt have a lick of common sense. ive also met middle school dropouts that could shoot better than most, and were advocates on gun safety and upkeep.

12GA00buck
January 24, 2007, 02:07 AM
Full time college student, in the middle of a BLA at the moment. I think I'll go to at least a master's, perhaps a PhD, don’t really like the idea being indebted for the rest of my life, though.:rolleyes: I suppose it will be worth it in the end.

M.Kalashnikov
January 24, 2007, 02:12 AM
I'm going to school to get my GED

kungfuhippie
January 24, 2007, 02:20 AM
I have an AA in Religious Studies, an working on a BS in Civil Engineering.
A degree only means that you could put-up with 4+ years of liberal professors trying to brainwash you. The fact that you own guns means it didn't work.

VARifleman
January 24, 2007, 02:27 AM
More than halfway through my BS in Civil Engineering, Structural concentration.

Edmond
January 24, 2007, 02:30 AM
BA's in Criminal Justice and Psychology.

FW
January 24, 2007, 02:36 AM
high education can be had by anyone. and not everyone with a degree has common sense. common sense has more to do with firearms than education. ive met college grads that were book-smart, but couldnt change a tire and didnt have a lick of common sense. ive also met middle school dropouts that could shoot better than most, and were advocates on gun safety and upkeep.

Higher education cannot be had by "anyone". For many, the only limitation is their own will. Even if a person is smart, it still takes some amount of determination to earn a degree.

It is far too common for those without an education to resent those who do and make excuses for why they are not educated. "Common sense" is often mentioned. The problem with common sense is, it is not necessarly correct or even common. For example, to many people it is "common sense" that a gun is more likely to be used against its owner than by its owner in defense. This of course is not correct.

Common sense certainly has its place, but does not always apply to things like science, law, medicine, and politics. It definitely does not always apply to subjects like ballistics.

Common sense does not replace education, and education does not take common sense away from someone. Common sense and education are two separate things.

That said, education does not cause intelligence. Yes, there are plenty of educated idiots, but there are far more uneducated idiots.

common sense has more to do with firearms than education

YOU ARE SO WRONG ABOUT THIS!

Cattle_Dog
January 24, 2007, 02:40 AM
B.A. in fine art & B.S. in biology

dixierifleman
January 24, 2007, 02:51 AM
high education CAN be had by anyone. if they have the will and determination to seek it. if you think i resent anyone with education, you must not have much "common sense". i chose not to go to college. its not for everyone, including myself. im not the classroom type person. you say for many people with common sense, a firearm is likely to be used against its owner. thats hardly an argument about common sense. not to mention the only ones that would think that are ignorant. there may be more uneducated idiots, but theres just as many with an education that lack common sense. common sense cant be taught. if you need an explanation on what common sense is, you must be lacking it yourself. as for common sense in relation to firearms, i worded that wrong. common sense has more to do with gun safety than education. an educated person could load a gun, chamber a round, put the weapon on safe, and proceed to look down the barrel. why? well because without a finger on the trigger, and the gun on safe, theres no way for the gun to fire. right? anyone with common sense will tell you thats a stupid idea. get my drift?

JLStorm
January 24, 2007, 03:43 AM
I dont know about you guys, but if my company didnt pay for my education I couldnt have afforded one and managed to support myself at the same time.

FW
January 24, 2007, 03:44 AM
Dixierifleman,

Clearly you have taken offense to what I have written and it was cetainly not intented. It is also clear you have intentionally attempted to offend me.

First, here is a little hint. Some might even call it "common sense". Try starting your sentences with capital letters and you might appear to be a little more intelligent.

I never said "for many people with common sense, a firearm is likely to be used against its owner"

I said, "TO many people it is "common sense" that a gun is more likely to be used against its owner than by its owner in defense."

Go back and read this very carefully. Yes, these people are ignorant. Igorance is often due to a lack of EDUCATION. There are plenty of ignorant people with plenty of common sense.

i worded that wrong. common sense has more to do with gun safety than education. an educated person could load a gun, chamber a round, put the weapon on safe, and proceed to look down the barrel. why? well because without a finger on the trigger, and the gun on safe, theres no way for the gun to fire. right? anyone with common sense will tell you thats a stupid idea. get my drift?

You are still wrong. The very very first part of educating a person in the use of a firearm is to KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN SAFE DIRECTION. Making the statment you made implies you not only lack formal education, but also lack firearms education. This honestly is not meant to offend you. Perhaps you can convince the NRA to drop all of its firearms education programs and simply promote "common sense".

So an educated person could look down the barrel of a loaded firearm? So could an uneducated person.

Would you like to explain how a gun fires without a finger on the trigger and the safety on? No, I am NOT saying it would be a good idea to look down the barrel, nor am I saying it should ever be done. It is also common sense that a gun in such a condition cannot fire. The point is, relying on common sense alone, especially concerning subjects like firearms, can lead to accidents. The common sense of the general population is not the same as the common sense of the shooting population.

if you need an explanation on what common sense is, you must be lacking it yourself

I thank you for the kind words, but I did not ask for an explanation of what common sense is, nor do I need an explanation of what it is. Just in case you wondered, I do not lack it. It just isn't much of an accomplishment to have it. If you think you have more common sense than so many other people, then by definition, whatever it is you have is not common sense.

In your original post you said something about knowing educated people who couldn't change a tire. Ever pull a wheel off one of the old Chryslers with the left handed studs on one side? It is a classic example of common sense failing to be adequate for even the simplest things. It is however, an educational experience to snap off a stud before discovering this. Righty tighty lefty loosey for bolts and nuts is the most basic common sense, but is NOT always correct.

Cousin Mike
January 24, 2007, 04:19 AM
Geez, fellas... knock it off, it's just a poll. :rolleyes:

Tech school grad here, going back to college soon (hopefully this year).

dixierifleman
January 24, 2007, 04:25 AM
i did not take offence to your post, and did not try to offend you in mine. if i did, i apologize.

i dont capitalize every sentence. i can, and can use proper grammar when i have to. i choose not to in my posts because its much faster for me to type(which im not very good at anyways). sorry if it makes me seem unintelligent.

as for me sayin you must not have much "common sense", i was implying that nowhere in my first post did i seem like i was resenting anyone of higher education.

with the common sense/firearm thing, i dont feel im wrong. give me an educated person thats never been around guns(but is aware of what they do) and give me a non-educated man with common sense that also has never been around guns. then put them in the scenario i provided. a man of education could look down a loaded weapon and assume nothing would happen(if he lacked common sense). would somethin happen? probably not. is it a safe practice involving common sense? no.

i was not refering to you when i said "if you need an explanation on what common sense is, you must be lacking it yourself". i can understand how you got that, but i assure you, it was not directed towards you. it was directed to anyone needing an explanation for "common sense". i was just implying that it cant be taught.

no i have never changed the tire from an old Chrysler. however, the RX-7 used to have the reversed threads. and common sense told me that it would not loosen turnin the normal way, so i tried it turnin right, and it loosened up.

i can see you have valid points, and i hope you can see i do too. i was never implying that educated people were dumb or that all lacked common sense. i just wanted to point out higher education isnt everything. i did not mean start a pissin contest.

FW
January 24, 2007, 05:22 AM
i dont feel im wrong. give me an educated person thats never been around guns(but is aware of what they do) and give me a non-educated man with common sense that also has never been around guns. then put them in the scenario i provided.

I'm really not trying to argue. This is an even worse example. Compare an "educated man" that has not been around guns with a "non-educated man with common sense" that as also been around guns? This is exactly how you have wrote it. You did not say "ant educated man without common sense" you only said an "educated man". The statement as written implies the educated are more likely to lack common sense than the uneducated.

And I have been around people, both educated and uneducated who have been around guns and still do stupid things that defy common sense.

I believe you when you said you did not want to start a pi$$ing constest. Please understand my responses. This poll of educating and firearms has people posting their educational level and sometimes a brief description or other information. Then out of the blue you make a negative statement belittling higher education, claiming it can be had by anyone if they have the will and determination to seek it. This is partially true. In reality, it cannot be had by anyone, but will and determination is likely the most major factor. When people do not have this will or determination, it says a lot by itself. A degree in higher education does not prove a person is highly intelligent (many are not), and yes some even lack common sense, but it does indicate they have that will and determination.

dixierifleman
January 24, 2007, 05:51 AM
i said an uneduated man that has not been around guns.

now i know you meant to put the "not" in there. just as i meant to put "an educated man without common sense".

i didnt mean to sound like i was belittling people with higher education. obviously not everyone has a high level of schoolin, but it can be had by almost anyone. this shows the number that do have it, have the will to achieve it. i get in a hurry sometimes and dont fully explain myself. sorry for that misnderstanding.

Xigris
January 24, 2007, 07:14 AM
Clinical Pharmacist (25 years).
:o

Dr. Dickie
January 24, 2007, 07:25 AM
I'm an Elmer, as in Fudd.:neener:
That is, I got a Ph.D. after my name (analytical chemistry).
The above is an inside joke about folks that insist on the Ph.D after their name on a nameplate (as everywhere I have worked, just about everybody had a doctorate).
Of course a poll like this is going to be biased toward more educated folks, especially geeks, as most things on the internet still are.
I shoot IDPA with many fine folks who do not even own a computer. What, if any degrees they might have, I haven't a clue (but am pretty sure they are not geeks).

fspitzdorf
January 24, 2007, 07:56 AM
BSME, partially through my MSME (I should finish this... i really do miss school), PE

Declaration Day
January 24, 2007, 07:59 AM
I graduated from a technical school as an aircraft mechanic, but I currently own a landscaping / lawnservice business.

I don't look down on people with a lack of formal education; I look down on lazy bums and society's leeches. If you shovel sh*t or work on a garbage truck and are able to support yourself, I have as much respect for you as I do for a doctor or an engineer.

Sistema1927
January 24, 2007, 08:17 AM
AA, BS, MDiv.

wolfe28
January 24, 2007, 08:20 AM
B.S. Biology, B.S. Sports Medicine, M.S. Physiology and Biophysics.

SnWnMe
January 24, 2007, 09:03 AM
Master's here. Working on a Doctorate.

W Turner
January 24, 2007, 09:13 AM
BS in Criminal Justice and Sociology. Thought I wanted to be a cop until I started working with kids.

Currently enrolled in a MS Counseling Psychology program. Eventually I will get my license as a counselor/therapist and concentrate on marriage counseling.

W

bclark1
January 24, 2007, 09:16 AM
voted for the highest, bachelors in engineering working on jd. jd's not "held" yet, but a bachelors in engineering is like a phd in _____, right? ;)

and +1 to declaration day, living an honest life's more important than how you accomplish that end, so don't necessarily read into the demographics too much, whatever they may be.

flynnguy
January 24, 2007, 09:46 AM
First I find this poll interesting but I'd just like to mention that no one should take this poll seriously. It's not a good example of gun owners because in order to take the poll, they have to 1. have access to the internet and 2. Frequent thehighroad.org and read the General Gun Discussion section. So it's not a good sample.

That said, I'm not trying to say it's pointless, I just want people who might not be that familiar with statistics to realize that when dealing with anti's, this probably isn't a good poll to reference. I do however find it interesting.

Me, I have a B.S. in Computer Science.

benEzra
January 24, 2007, 10:14 AM
B.A. and some master's work in English. Would like to go back and finish the M.A., but my son was born with DiGeorge Syndrome in my second semester of master's work, and that put a damper on academics for a while. I'll probably go back to school when he's a little older.

I'm also a physics geek and work as a technical writer, but don't have a degree in the sciences. Looking back, I had offers from CalTech and MIT, and I think I would have enjoyed going that route (probably MIT), but I didn't have a clue at the time.

My sister is also a gun owner and avid shooter, and she graduated from NC State with a double major in engineering and mathematics.

I read somewhere that gun owners do tend to be slightly more educated than the national average. I'm not sure if that's a reflection of disposable income (takes disposable income to buy guns), or underlying sociological/demographic factors.

armedpolak
January 24, 2007, 10:16 AM
BS of Science in Computer Science
NCSU ( http://www.ncsu.edu/ )

george_co
January 24, 2007, 10:21 AM
BS in Business & BA in Public Admin. In the event that it really matters.

ricci316
January 24, 2007, 10:27 AM
BA in Psychology

davera
January 24, 2007, 10:41 AM
Some college, no degree.

Charles S
January 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
I am working on my MS now, should finish May 08.

GEM
January 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
PhD in Cognitive Psych - first kid in the family with a college degree. Thank you for a city and state that provided educational opportunites for kids whose parents didn't even graduate high school.

I have the utmost respect for the working class folks who strive for education!

pricee
January 24, 2007, 11:25 AM
Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular biology, and a lonely conservative professor in a sea of liberals.

WheelGunMom
January 24, 2007, 11:54 AM
J.D.

shaggycat
January 24, 2007, 11:58 AM
I graduate with a BA in Political Science next spring.

imprezagm4
January 24, 2007, 12:02 PM
Working on my bachelors in Psychology. Probably the 5 (or more) year plan :)

SolaScriptura139
January 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
Currently pursuing a B.S. degree in Social Work. I don't know yet if I'll pursue a Master's.

Steve 48
January 24, 2007, 12:24 PM
M.S.+ in School Psychology. Steve48

History Prof
January 24, 2007, 12:28 PM
PhD in Cognitive Psych - first kid in the family with a college degree.
I have the utmost respect for the working class folks who strive for education!
I believe that that is one thing most people don't realize about the latest generation of PhDs. Very few of us today are the sons of PhDs, as in the past. My mother did not graduate HS, and her dad was a migratory farm worker. My dad spent 20 years in the military as an enlisted man, and his dad was literally a ditch digger. His job title was "canal tender." I have 7 siblings. Only the oldest and myself hold any college degree. My brother can thank the Navy, and I can thank Dad (for the BA and MA, at least) for all of his hard work (and me being the youngest).

MD_Willington
January 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
AEET here in the USA...

Diploma in Canada...

When the Children are older I will probably get around to getting my BS...

82Magnum
January 24, 2007, 12:44 PM
I'm about a semester shy of receiving a BS in Recreation Management. It's taken quite a while due to two military deployments. Glad it's almost over. Gladder about the increasing size of my collection. Now I'll be waiting for an English prof to tell me that "gladder" is not a word.

Legionnaire
January 24, 2007, 01:13 PM
Ph.D. ... But it doesn't define who I am.

DFW1911
January 24, 2007, 01:16 PM
Master's...PhD in the works :)

cracked butt
January 24, 2007, 01:20 PM
BS: Chemistry and Biology.

Lichter
January 24, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'm in law school and I'm actually sitting through a contracts lecture right now....

SDC
January 24, 2007, 01:35 PM
Bachelor's in Criminology and Archaeology.

Mr White
January 24, 2007, 01:57 PM
BS in Computer Science. CCIE, CISSP

RandyC
January 24, 2007, 02:11 PM
I earned a B.A. long time ago, back when you could still work your way through waiting tables and working odd jobs. With the costs of education today, I suppose that would be impossible now.

SteelyNirvana
January 24, 2007, 02:32 PM
I dropped out in the 9th grade back in '98 and started doing electrical work a few months after quiting school.I've now been doing electrical work for almost 9 years now.I've been able to do good for myself even though I lack in education.I've been out on my own sense I was 20yrs old.My family nags me to go back and get my GED,and I would like to, but the math really kicks my butt.I took a pre test some years back and I'm to embarrassed to post on this form what grade level they said my math average was,(But I can do load calculations and read a tape measure!:rolleyes: ). My other subjects they said I was at 11th grade level. It is is kinda embarrassing at times when you tell people you've only got an 8th grade education:eek: but I'm out here pulling my own weight,so some people see beyond it.Down here in NC the state board doesn't care about your education to give you your Electrical contractors license,(As long as you pass the exam and have your Field hours in) so that may be the route I go.I love doing the work and would like to have my own business someday.But I'll have to see what the future holds for me,but so far,I've been doing alright.

Brian Craig

DogBonz
January 24, 2007, 03:08 PM
But I also have my Series 7 and Series 66 which are securities licenses. And I am studying for the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst), which some people say is like a PHD in applied finance.

JAB
January 24, 2007, 03:11 PM
Glad to see that their is a lot of educated members on the board. I myself have only a highschool degree. I have been very successfull for not having any degree, I started working for a company at 19 and by 23 I was the General Manager, answering only to the CEO, and this is a multi million dollar enterprise, not a mom and pop. I did it by hard work, and learning everything I could, and then most importantly, applying it in an effective manner. That being said I do not recomend this course of action, as it is a risk and doesnt leave alot to fall back on. I hope if I have kids they will go all the way with school. I certainly dont have harsh feelings toward those with high education, in fact almost everyone I hang with does have a very high level of education, masters, phd, etc, funny thing is they refer to me as the smart one, haha. I guess im a hypocrite because I preach education to anyone that asks, but have none myself. I feel fortunate that I want knowlege enough to find it outside the classroom, but if you can go to school, do it. Who knows, maybe some day ill go.

Rumble
January 24, 2007, 03:24 PM
MS in Library Science (hey, it's a real job! :D); MS in Information Systems

Joe Gunns
January 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
BA, MA

RoxboroRedneck
January 24, 2007, 04:13 PM
Got the HS diploma and am currently in college. That should have been an option in the poll

SoCalShooter
January 24, 2007, 04:15 PM
Have not finished school yet but I do have several certifications. A+ N+ CISCO
working on the bachelors degree.

It appears that a large portion of people on this forum are well educated...hmm....kinda blows that dumb redneck with a gun image out of the water.

ccarnel
January 24, 2007, 04:28 PM
2001 B.S. Biology major with minor in Humanities (concentration in English Literature)
2005 M.D.

Presently a resident physician in Physical Medicine/Rehabilitation

My father holds A PhD in Electrical Engineering (and also enjoys shooting firearms). He was also the first person on his side of the family to attend college. My mother is a registered nurse but unfortunately does not enjoy shooting. My sister has a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and has just applied to Law School and will accompany us to the range on occasion and understands the importance of our second amendment rights.

2 other resident physicians I work with are also firearm owners but are not members here on this site.

dixierifleman
January 24, 2007, 04:49 PM
It appears that a large portion of people on this forum are well educated...hmm....kinda blows that dumb redneck with a gun image out of the water

yea you said it... people on this forum.

think of all the gun owners not on these forums. i bet theres maybe at most 10% of gun owners on these forums.

then theres the still the gangbangers with stolen weapons. the wannabe gangbangers with stolen weapons and weapons their rich parents gave them. we got rich pretty boys that buy guns for the hell of it. and educated rednecks that have guns. and theres still the less educated rednecks with guns.

i happen to be one of the less educated rednecks with guns. so does that mean theres a problem with me? does that make me dumb?

this poll is a very small percentage of the gun owners.

Molon Labe
January 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
BS in Electrical Engineering. Am currently getting my MSEE.

michiganfan
January 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
JD.

arthurcw
January 24, 2007, 05:11 PM
BA in MIS with some Masters level courses (in education :barf:. Please forgive me.)

bpsig
January 24, 2007, 06:03 PM
AS-CRIMINAL JUSTICE
BS-LAW
2ND BS PROGRAM- COMPUTERS, PARA LEGAL RESEARCH
ASTRONOMY,
MS -PUBLIC POLICY
LOTS OF FORENSIC SCIENCE
PLUS ACADEMY, STATE/FED SCHOOLS
Er flobatamy tech, m.e assistant
Currently working in other training plus yearly rad school.
just found article on contractor medic class in tn looking foreward to it.
Maybe just a little opinionated as to always having a sidearm or other. From meeting some of our upstanding members of the community. or response time is 20-30 min from local pd.

springmom
January 24, 2007, 06:07 PM
B.S. Political science and psychology, Southwest Missouri State University (now Missouri State):barf: :barf: :barf: 1977

GO BEARS!!!!

then....
M.A., Educational psychology, University of Texas, 1997.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!

Springmom

Alexfubar
January 24, 2007, 06:37 PM
I must be the dummy here , then.

High School Dropout, then a GED , then Community College , then State College. Quit before degree , because I realized I was just doing it "because."

I was and am a common carpenter. I like it & I like what I don't have to deal with as well - My office is a tool belt & cell phone.

Chipperman
January 24, 2007, 06:50 PM
Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris

(Doctor of Veterinary Medicine)

iamkris
January 24, 2007, 06:50 PM
BS in Mechanical Engineering from University of Illinois, 1988
MS in Aerospace Engineering from University of Cincinnati, 1992
MBA from Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, 1996

Was an engineer for several years and realized that it wasn't as much fun as I thought (and I even worked for an aerospace company making jet engines) and really couldn't make as much money as I wanted. So I dumped the tech stuff, got my MBA, went into management consulting and now work running a product team at a major telecommunications device manufacturer.

rust collector
January 24, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'm in the bottom group, which means I've spent more time than some in the classroom. I wish that would ensure that I didn't do boneheaded things, but it doesn't.

I recently checked the name of persons who have been issued concealed carry permits in my community, courtesy of a sleazy rag that uploaded the database before a privacy law prevented it. Mighty fine group of people, including our governor, a few judges, MDs and others who are generally pillars of the community. Although the media would like to marginalize us, gunowners don't fit into any neat little slots.

It's not what we are, it's who we are!

razorburn
January 24, 2007, 07:29 PM
Got the HS diploma and am currently in college. That should have been an option in the poll

It is. Note that the poll says "I am currently a student enrolled in a program for..." If you've completed your HS education, and are currently in a college program for your baccleurate, then go ahead and mark the bachelors degree option. But even if you plan to go onto a masters or doctorate after you get that, don't mark masters or doctorate unless you've actually finished your bachelors and are already enrolled in a doctorate or masters program.

BoneDigger
January 24, 2007, 07:59 PM
BS in Anthropology: College of Charleston, South Carolina
MA in Archaeology: University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg.

I have been employed as an archaeologist since 1991.

Todd

19-3Ben
January 24, 2007, 08:03 PM
BA: Psychology from Brandeis University.

Now in Quinnipiac School of Law working on a joint JD and MBA degree.

Edit to add:
Lichter- No way!!! I'm also in contracts lecture right now!! Well, at least we have our priorities straight!!

rono
January 24, 2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, time to pat myself on the back..

BS in Business
MBA

Certs:
MCSE, MCP, MCP +I, MCT

Pilot
PP-ASEL

Ron

Lupinus
January 24, 2007, 08:27 PM
so if I was in school til lthe 9th grade before switching to home schooling and then got screwed out of my diploma by the school district...does that count as high school or no?

James NM
January 24, 2007, 08:37 PM
Bachelors Degree

Mauserguy
January 24, 2007, 08:52 PM
MBA

Stretchman
January 24, 2007, 09:12 PM
Dropped out of HS and moved out at 17. Joined the USAF at 19 and they forced me to get my GED after tech school, which in the USAF, is college level.

So, what I have basically is

GED HS
depending on who's counting, between 45 and 70 credits in college. Aircraft Elect. Sys Spec.
Sheridan Tech - Network Support Services.
Security D&G school + Advanced life support training. AED/CPR/First AID, Blood born pathogens, advanced firearms training, water rescue, CAPSTUN OC.

According to the Internet... about 50 % of all college graduates never work in their field. They say that college grads on the average make more money than non college grads, but they don't say that you can invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into your education, before spending about a grand at Truck Master, or working for the Post Office. Did you know that some garbage men make more than teachers do?

But by far the greatest certification I ever received was to be certified psychotic by the Veteran's Administration. Yes, after achieving a failing grade on the Minnesota Multi Phasic examination, I was honorably discharged from
the USAF, locked up on the 4th floor of the VAMC, escaped, remanded, held beyond 21 days, and awarded a partial disability at 70%. When I finally complained to the VA that I didn't believe that the MMPI test results were fair, I was awarded compensation at the 100% level, total perm. So I have been retired since I was 30.

OF course, this didn't stop me from being able to purchase a firearm. When I was arrested in 1991 for Misdemeanor Open Carry, and convicted, I was ordered by a judge to complete a gun training school, and get my concealed permit in order to get my firearm back. Before you jump to conclusions, I told them I was 100%, and rated for psychosis. They said "SO?", so I said "OK".

In 2001, after leaving my computer job, I took some worked as an unarmed security officer. In order to do so, I needed to be signed off by my Dr at the VA. Not a problem. Of course, once the war started, I applied for and received my firearms license. Again, I told them about my rating, and again, they said it didn't matter. But my schedule was in conflict with ability to make runs with the Motorcycle Club that I was an enforcer with, so I put down my colors to channel my energies into my work.

Managed to do about 5 years out there. I was about as close to becoming a cop as you can get without actually going to the academy; also drove an Armored Truck, was bonded for about 10 million dollars, and supervised a company of over 100 employees. I was looking to do the CJBAT, take the physical, and begin applying to depts, but I figured that my luck might run out if I tried the sheriffs dept with this. But so far, so good. They just renewed my CWP, for the third time.

If the liberals ever needed a poster child for gun control, I would probably be it. But in order to do that, I would probably first have to do something drastic that might make the front page, and I am certain that whatever happened, it would be the end of my good situation. So I say forget the liberals, I'll just keep my fat check, and my guns, and leave it at that.

Stretch
Quit cigs 2W 6D 18h 10m ago. So far saved $124.54, 830 cigs not smoked and counting ...

rhubarb
January 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
It's was by sheer inertia that I finished high school. I couldn't wait to get out from behind a desk.

I drive a pickup.

I'm proud of my hick heritage.

Reckon that makes me a dumb redneck gun owner?:D

jeff-10
January 24, 2007, 09:17 PM
Bachelor of Science

JoseM
January 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
I have 2 undergraduate engineering degrees and will be graduating with my Masters Degree in Civil Engineering this semester (doing my Masters degree part-time).

JoseM
January 24, 2007, 09:34 PM
Hey, it's a nice little bell curve...but you have to remember your audience. I bet if you did this poll outside an internet forum, the curve would slide to the top (less education).

10-Ring
January 24, 2007, 10:09 PM
Interesting poll, but I think your sample is biased a bit towards a more educated group...

Emeses
January 24, 2007, 10:10 PM
MBA

Selfdfenz
January 24, 2007, 11:16 PM
nice little bell curve

Yes it is.

What seems clear from the data is that ownership/interest appears to be attractive to people regardless of their level of education.

S-

8ring
January 25, 2007, 12:42 AM
Law Degree

I don't own a pickup truck.

denfoote
January 25, 2007, 01:06 AM
ASET from Phoenix College.

Zen21Tao
January 25, 2007, 01:08 AM
Have:
- Bachelors Degrees in Psychology
- Bachelors Degree in Physics
- * Came one 3 credit class shy of also having a Minor in Philosohy.
I had 18 Philosophy credits (15 required for minor) but was unable to schedule a required history class

Working towards (last semester):
- Masters Degree in Business Administration (Management)
- Cert. in New Venture Creation

*All from the University of Florida

TimboKhan
January 25, 2007, 01:21 AM
BA in History with a emphasis in Secondary Education, University of Northern Colorado.

Nematocyst
January 25, 2007, 01:30 AM
Busy week, so haven't even scanned the whole thread yet.

But just looking at the poll results, I'm very intrigued.

Dr. Nem, who drives a truck, rides a bike & walks a lot

David904
January 25, 2007, 01:45 AM
BS in Information Science.

JJY
January 25, 2007, 08:15 AM
BBA
JD

tax lawyer / CPA

and a pick-up

Essex County
January 25, 2007, 11:48 AM
Bachelors in business, Own a Blue Tick hound, mostly drive pickups

DenverDuck
January 25, 2007, 12:02 PM
Graduated from Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmithing in 1976

Graduated from PAVTI for Banking in 1981

2 years pre-law from DU

tinygnat219
January 25, 2007, 12:05 PM
BA Communication
MS in Management Information Systems

TCB in TN
January 25, 2007, 06:04 PM
BS in Elem Ed. About to start my Master's program.

Wife has a Master's in Ed. Psych.

I come from an Education family Father was an Elem School Principal, and Curriculum Supervisor for the local BOE.

bouis
January 25, 2007, 06:08 PM
BS in Mathematics, 50 hours of law school so far.

.45 Cal
January 25, 2007, 10:48 PM
BA in English (mainly American) Literature, pursuing MFA in Creative Writing.

It's interesting to see the level of diversity of interest within the levels of education, regardless of the degree.

Oh, and I don't have a truck, but I want one:) .

nico
January 26, 2007, 01:54 AM
I'm in dental school, which is basically four years of this: :banghead: :cuss: :(

Number 6
January 26, 2007, 02:23 AM
About halfway through my PhD in Political Science.

jad0110
January 26, 2007, 08:03 PM
BS in Financial Management from East Carolina University. Where I learned first hand that when it comes to stock market investing, a bunch of first graders with a few darts and some stock quotes from a newpaper posted on a wall whup the crap out of a bunch of Finance MBA students any day. DOH!!! :banghead:

GO PIRATES! :D

MT GUNNY
January 26, 2007, 11:45 PM
BA in AR15
BD in 1911
PHD in S&W
MSD Certified Tech.
My MOS was 11M
Plus a BS in B.S. LOL

On a more serious note, Its good to see the nation has educated firearm owners!

SAG0282
January 27, 2007, 12:28 AM
HS diploma, plus some college.....just three classes away from my 2yr degree.

ArfinGreebly
January 27, 2007, 12:50 AM
Hadda chuckle.

Anyone else notice the high ratio of BS degrees?

I would certainly never have expected a high BS quotient on the internet.

:D

Seminole
January 27, 2007, 01:05 AM
2 Master's degrees, a Ph.D., and still trying to get edumacated!

possum
January 27, 2007, 01:16 AM
i would like to see an option for highschool plus some college because that is where i am right now,but i voted highschool. you have to understand though that i opted to graduate a semester early to join the army and have been balls to the walls since then. I really never want to go to college, i just have no desire to there are reasons but i would rather not get into them here, maybe an online college but no class rooms and big numbers of people.

i think the best schooling that i got was since i have been in the army. all the book smarts in the world won't help you in a fire fight, but a little common since and trainning goes a long way, plus i can retire at 38 so i think i will be good!

Daedalus7
January 27, 2007, 01:21 AM
I'm a few quarters away from a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, and will then be on the way to an M.D. :cool:

SaxonPig
January 27, 2007, 02:31 PM
AS, BS, BA, Ma & Ed.D. (all in different fields of study because I always like to make thing extra difficult for myself.)

Wife has a BA, MA, Ph.D. and is now in law school looking for a JD.

Between us we have about 35 years worth of college.

Yeech!

Most lawyers don't call themselves "Doctor" even though the law degree is Juris Doctorate because the nearest Ph.D. will beat them senseless.

(Much harder to get a Ph.D.)

bigun15
January 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
I put less than high school, but I'm still in it. Not a dropout, not any of the stereotype. Matter of fact, I view myself as successful for my age. I'm 16 and I've got a job, license, car, girlfriend, and enough money to keep me happy but not enough to where I get a big head.

Then again I'm not a gun owner, so maybe mine shouldn't count yet. I'm still saving up my M1A account (why do you think I have a job?).

Taurus 617 CCW
January 27, 2007, 04:00 PM
Bachelor's of Science in Psychology and Communication (completed)

Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmithing (in progress).
-Associates of Occupational Studies technically

I like guns so much that I decided I should go directly into the industry. :neener:

the 22 junkie
January 28, 2007, 01:21 AM
High school...

Davo
January 28, 2007, 01:35 AM
Certificate/associate (Paramedic), working on the bachelors/masters in PA school.

jamz
January 28, 2007, 10:15 AM
BS in Aviation Science
MS in Social Work, of all things.

ID_shooting
January 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
School of Hard Knocks here. Graduated high School, Joined the Army, self educated and gained technical expirience that is not tought anywhere by anyone and I make > $20.00/hr. Stable enough that I was able to negotiate higher starting wages at my current and previous employer.

Batmaxwyo
January 28, 2007, 10:23 AM
BS in IFSM; AA Management; AA Computer Studies

ProguninTN
January 28, 2007, 02:12 PM
Very near to completing my BA degree.

Squidward
January 28, 2007, 02:31 PM
"Still in high school (On level, not behind )"

Ahhh, High school; the best 6 years of my life...:cool:

McCall911
January 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
IMO the best education is at the School of Hard Knocks.

Phantom Warrior
January 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
Another "proud of his shiny degree and has to show it off" here...

I picked up a B.S. in Mathematics and a B.S.C.S. in Computer Science while I was in college. A B.S.C.S is the same thing as a B.S., but apprently the CS department wanted their own degree.

I'm planning on getting my JD (part of the reason I joined the Army) and I'd really like to get a Master's, if not my doctorate, in math and/or CS someday. We'll see. I've got plenty of time.

John Rogers
January 29, 2007, 12:01 PM
PhD in social psychology. Biased selection or not, it is interesting to see the impressive accomplishments of so many who have posted here (including those not defined by an academic degree).

It's kind of funny given that we all know how universities are populated only by gun-hating commie liberal traitor democrats who live only to take away freedom from the righteous.

John

Nematocyst
January 29, 2007, 02:21 PM
...universities are populated only by gun-hating commie liberal traitor democrats who live only to take away freedom from the righteous.[Emphasis mine]

I'm not sure if you are speaking tongue-in-cheek, John, but I no longer buy that argument on assertion only.

At one time, I did, because I think at one time it was largely true (at least in terms of dominance of rhetoric by those folks). I've been in university enough (16 years of it during the 70's through late 90's) to have experienced it.

But I'm no longer convinced of it. Now, I'd want to see evidence of the assertion from a study.

I have no doubt that a few universities can probably be characterized in such a way. I have no doubt that some universities that are not populated only by gun-haters are nonetheless dominated by their rhetoric, while less gun-hating and even gun supporting voices remain quiet.

But I think the face of university has evolved, and that their populations - professors, administrators and students - are more reflective of the population as a whole. Mind you, I didn't say perfectly reflective, just more similar.

At the very least, I won't accept the hypothesis that universities "are populated only by gun-hating commie liberal traitor democrats" without more evidence than an assertion.

I could be wrong, but I'd want to see some evidence of it.

Nem

scurtis_34471
January 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
I have a Bachelor of Art in English and a Master of Science in Computer Information Systems.

HGUNHNTR
January 29, 2007, 02:33 PM
BS, and will be moving toward my masters after my wife gets her PhD

Eskimo Jim
January 29, 2007, 02:39 PM
BS Civil Engineering

Jim

Eleven Mike
January 29, 2007, 02:39 PM
70% are college-educated or in a four-year degree program. I wonder how that compares to Democratic Underground or other sites.

scout26
January 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
Ph.D in Quantum Astro Physics, and an MD focused on Forensic Pathololgy. Both from University of Chicago, picked up a JD from John Marshall Law in my spare time while doing my residency. Currently working out at FermiLab on a PhD in project involving Recombantant Molecular DNA and Cold Nuclear Fusion, when I'm not arguing cases in front of the Illinois Supreme Court.

:neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:

Seriously, got a BS in Computer Information Systems that I've never used. Commissioned Army Officer (Military Police) out of college, then into Food Service Management for 6 years after the Army. Since '97 into Logistics (mis)-Management (Ocean, Air, Truck, Rail, Intermodal - it you can ship it, we can lose it.) Thinking of starting my own company ---> Miracle Freight: "If it gets there on time, it's a Miracle !!!!" (Can you tell I'm having a bad Monday.......)

Edit to Add: One Dog (Beagle aka 'Couch Dog") and His and Hers Saab's. Never owned a Pick 'em up truck.

Steelbanger
January 29, 2007, 06:41 PM
High school graduate, son of parents who were born in 1902. Mom finished 8th grade & Dad finished 5th and began his work career picking rocks & slate from a never ending conveyor of coal. Boys were employed there, often as young as 8!

With that background I was/am proud to have a high school diploma and it served me well. I'm retired now after 40 years in the printing industry, the last 17 years sitting in front of a Mac, enjoying the new-fangled way to compose print.

My grandson has a degree in art and is basically doing the same job as I, but now finds a degree necessary to be considered for his position.

COK
January 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
BS -Aviation Management

07Lway
January 29, 2007, 07:08 PM
I am currently in high school. I am home schooled through a correspondence course. I am finding out that being lazy and trying to set your own school schedule will leave you wishing that you had stayed in public high school :(.

Oops, how did this computer turn on, sign on to THR, and make me waste 45 minutes reading? Back to work I go...

Zen21Tao
January 29, 2007, 08:06 PM
...universities are populated only by gun-hating commie liberal traitor democrats who live only to take away freedom from the righteous.
[Emphasis mine]

I'm not sure if you are speaking tongue-in-cheek, John, but I no longer buy that argument on assertion only.

At one time, I did, because I think at one time it was largely true (at least in terms of dominance of rhetoric by those folks). I've been in university enough (16 years of it during the 70's through late 90's) to have experienced it.

But I'm no longer convinced of it. Now, I'd want to see evidence of the assertion from a study.

** I don't intend to (and won't) hijack the thread, but I just wanted to respond top this.

It is true that not ALL students are flaming tree hugging commie liberals but after 5 years at UF I am utterly convinced that MOST are. All you have to do is:

1. Sit through a couple meetings of the College Republicans then a couple meeting of the College Democrats to see which has more people and is more extreme and illogical.
2. Walk through various locations on campus where clubs actively "table" (or recruit/deseminate info). You will see far left clubs dominate moderate and conservative clubs.
3. try to get funding for student government for something other than a liberal cause/event (e.g. Trying to get funding for our Pistol and Rifle Club)
4. If that isn't enough, just look at a political map of Florida. Gainesville is a little blue spot sorrounded by a sea of Red. This is especially funny considering that the majority of Alachua Co. locals are conservative. UF alone tips this scale.
5. Attend a class tought by a conservitive professor and express liberal views, then attend a class by a liberal grad student and express conservative views. Observe which one actually affects your grade (I received a C- in a "Moral Issues" class because of my conservative interpretations.)
6. Look at the student funded speakers and performers that have attended UF in the past few years. After student Gov paid $40K (speaking fee) + expenses to Micheal Moore, Sean Hannity offered to come and speak for free if his excenses were covered. Student Gov. wouldn't do this.
7. And, just dare to be a politically incorrect. If your liberal you are using your protected free speech (like when campus pro-choice group lines grass spaces betrween walways with coat hangers) but if you are conservative you must appologize if not be punished (school newpaper cartoon of Condi Rice saying "N---a please" to Kanye West a week before Kanye performed his song "Gold Digger" at UF that has numerous uses of the "N" word). Funny the political cartoon was criticized heavily but the West performance wasn't.
8. And finally, just pick up a local Alligator (school newspaper) and read it on a daily basis. Don't forget to catch the leftist editorials and polical cartoons.

If all this isn't enough to show you a strong liberal bias on our campus, then no study in the world will satisfy your skepticism.

MCgunner
January 29, 2007, 08:46 PM
Texas Aggies class of 1975, BS Wildlife and Fisheries Science-fisheries management option

PotatoJudge
January 29, 2007, 08:59 PM
Working on an MD and the wife is working on her PhD in psychology. We're gonna be in debt forever.

garrett1955
January 29, 2007, 09:01 PM
In my second year of collage. I am going to finish next year with an asso. in general Ed. Then transfer to finish a B.S. in Technology Education.

sacp81170a
January 29, 2007, 09:26 PM
B.S. in Industrial Engineering and an M.S. in Management Information Systems.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns and education level" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!