Step up from wolf ammo?

PDA

Bill_G
January 24, 2007, 05:19 AM
whats a step up from wolf in 7.62 russian?

Maybe Sellior & Bellot?? Best site to buy S&B from??

any other suggestion?...........i have a russian SKS.

thanks ...........Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Step up from wolf ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
benEzra
January 24, 2007, 08:05 AM
I've heard Brown Bear is superior to Wolf, and they make a highly regarded 123-gr softpoint.

Top of the line is undoubtedly Lapua (Finnish brand), but I don't think they import Lapua 7.62x39mm anymore. A shame, because it was awesome.

dfaugh
January 24, 2007, 09:02 AM
I've heard Brown Bear is superior to Wolf, and they make a highly regarded 123-gr softpoint.

IIRC, same ammo, same factory. I shots some BB and couldn't se any real difference (other than I go a stovepipe failure with BB, something that never happened with WOlf, but that was propbably just a fluke).

I've not used S&B in 7.62x39, but in other calibers it's turned out to be very accurate, decent ammo. The only downside is the brass, which while reloadable, is crappy (we were only able to get 3 reloadings before head seperation problems).

DMK
January 24, 2007, 09:31 AM
Maybe Sellior & Bellot?? Best site to buy S&B from??S&B is pretty decent 7.62x39, but I haven't seen any for sale in years.

Testing various brands through SKS and my 7.62x39 AR with a scope, I found Barnual to shoot the best. Silver Bear with the nickel cases and that weird tip (supposedly match ammo according to the box) shot the worst next to Wolf. That stuff was made at Uly IIRC.

Unfortunately, Barnual is unavailable anymore. There's some Brown Bear and Silver Bear available now that was made at the Barnual plant. You might want to try some of that.

IIRC, same ammo, same factory.I don't have a box handy to check, but I don't think Wolf is made at the same factory as Brown Bear. Even if it is, that doesn't make it the same ammo. Winchester, Remington and Federal all make lots of ammo variations in their factories (Federal even makes the very low quality American Eagle) that shoot very differently.

Manedwolf
January 24, 2007, 09:34 AM
Wolf Gold is also not the same as Wolf. It's repackaged Prvi Partisan from Serbia, with a clean propellant and shiny brass case.

rockstar.esq
January 24, 2007, 04:56 PM
Manedwolf: Privi Partizan headstamps prove your point however you should mention that Winchester White Box is also relabeled PP ammo. I'm surprised that none of you figured the original poster was talking about 7.62X 54R which is sufficiently Russian to merit the assumption!

JesseL
January 24, 2007, 05:19 PM
Manedwolf: Privi Partizan headstamps prove your point however you should mention that Winchester White Box is also relabeled PP ammo. I'm surprised that none of you figured the original poster was talking about 7.62X 54R which is sufficiently Russian to merit the assumption!

The OP did mention this was for an SKS, so that pretty well confirms that we're talking about 7.62x39 rather than 7.62x54R.

Without the SKS clue I might assume that 7.62 Russian referred to the x54R, since 7.62x39 would more properly be called 'Soviet'.

Deer Hunter
January 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
Brown/Silver/Gold bear products are NOT the same as Wolf. They are superior, by far.

MechAg94
January 24, 2007, 08:13 PM
I have some silver bear HP that seems to shoot very well. The match ammo is crap as far as I am concerned. Shoots worse than any other ammo I have tried.

Kalashnikov
January 24, 2007, 08:56 PM
Why move up from wolf? It's cheap, it gets the job. But if ya INSIST on changin, Brown/Silver/Gold Bear, Prvi, S&B, Winchester, Cor-Bon, and I'm suer a couple other, all make 7.62x39.

rangerruck
January 25, 2007, 12:30 AM
wolf makes no ammo, they get it from t/c, barnaul, (monarch) S and B , PRVI, just get their brass ammo , and you will be fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Step up from wolf ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!