XS Sights: Good or bad?

PDA

Smithers
January 25, 2007, 03:40 AM
I have trijicons on my carry pistol, and while they're good, I think they can be better. I've been scoping out various sights to stick on my carry pistol and I stumbled across these sights:

http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

Also, before anyone assumes they'll be inaccurate, I found this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8

I'd like to know if anyone has tried these sights, and how they like them. Please, I need details. Thanks in advance. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "XS Sights: Good or bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
January 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
They are fast at close range, at least the Big Dot is.

OH25shooter
January 25, 2007, 09:38 AM
That is an interesting video. He no doubt is an expert pistol shooter and could probably use any set of sights. Nonetheless, it is a good demonstration for the use of XS sights. Besides, it's always nice to see video evidence compared to someone stating on the internet how they don't work or they are junk, etc.

Shipwreck
January 25, 2007, 12:56 PM
I dn't ike them. I bought a Dan Wesson 1911 w/ big dot sights - the accuracy sucked. Yea, I hit the paper, but they really are not sights to use if ya wanna hit bullseyes at the range. Supposedly, they are more for speed (faster to line up than 3 dots), but accuracy goes down as the distance increases...

Tremek
January 25, 2007, 03:42 PM
I personally really like XS sights, and just bought a set for both my Hi Power and for my 1911.

gfmun
January 25, 2007, 03:48 PM
I had them on all of my 1911s and have replaced them. My accuracy was not good at all. I saw the DOT and pulled the trigger without properly lining the sight up. I put fiber optics on the front and opened up the rear of a plain black sight and now I shoot much better. I know people who do very well with them, just not me.

Thanks, George

Smithers
January 25, 2007, 08:44 PM
Oh boy, so it looks like it boils down to personal preference...

Crap, I guess I'm going to have to spend some money before I can figure out if I like them or not.

steelhead
January 25, 2007, 09:01 PM
They are very good if:

1. You use them for the proper application

2. You understand how to use them.

I have a set on my 1911 and my 640 and they are perfect for my purposes.

DougW
January 25, 2007, 09:14 PM
Big Dot 24/7's on the Glock 17 and both Glock 19's. They are great combat sights. I would never consider them a target sight though.

frankt
January 26, 2007, 12:15 AM
They are great as sights on a personal protection weapon. Fast on target and accurate.

They are not good if you want to go to the range and shoot out the center of the bullseye.

Robert Hairless
January 26, 2007, 12:58 AM
Smithers:

Oh boy, so it looks like it boils down to personal preference...

Crap, I guess I'm going to have to spend some money before I can figure out if I like them or not.

Just about everything to do with firearms involves personal preference, but if you reread the previous replies you'll find a consistent theme. Everyone is saying roughly the same thing: XS Big Dot sights are quick to acquire, which makes them most useful for fast shots at relatively close distances when good hits are more important than precise accuracy.

I use an XS Big Dot on just one gun: a Smith & Wesson 640 revolver. For me it's a close range tool. It's good to know that I can do reasonably small groups on a paper target with it, but my practice sessions mostly involve shooting five tethered party ballons, placed a yard or more apart and at various heights (roughly 3-6 feet high), at 7-10 yards while I'm moving randomly. The balloons give me roughly 8" targets and it's best when there's just enough wind to move them at least a little. I'll do it three or four times, then put the 640 aside: it's done what I want it to do.

I wouldn't put XS Big Dots on a 1911, though, because they would take the 1911 in a direction that's not right for me. The balloon exercise actually is annoying when I shoot a 1911 (or a Glock or a Hi-Power). I know that I can pop balloons with them all day long while moving at longer distances, so the exercise I use for the 640 is all wrong for those other guns. And the XS Big Dots would be wrong for them too.

Dunno if any of this helps, but I figured it out a long time ago and thought it couldn't hurt to share the thinking in case anyone might be interested.

If you enjoyed reading about "XS Sights: Good or bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!