advantages/disadvantages

PDA

iamhistory
June 1, 2003, 11:06 PM
Hi guys..........

I'll be ordering a Bushmaster AR-15 this week and I am just wondering what you think of my final selection b/c I want to know what the advantages of having a removable carry handle are with the "A3" models.

I plan on purchasing the M-4 A2 style shorty version in a 14 or 16 inch barrel.

Any input positive/negative would be appreciated. I want to be sure I'm covering all my bases before spending the bucks. Being married to a true M16 in the jarheads and owing a civilian model are different I believe. This is my first civilian model.

Thanks. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "advantages/disadvantages" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AR-10
June 1, 2003, 11:25 PM
Get the 16" version and skip the brake entirely if you can.

A 14 1/2" barrel with a permanently mounted brake has two drawbacks. The permanently mounted brake will not come off, which makes certain repairs or mods very dificult. You also loose some velocity.

As for the A-3 configuration, pros and cons-

Pro- gives you flexibility when mounting optics.

Con- If you purchase and use the removable carry handle.

Adds a smidge more weight. Costs more.

Kaylee
June 1, 2003, 11:48 PM
1. Try the weight first. I ended up selling a shorty HBAR 'cause it felt too heavy for a .223 to me. I expected that kinda weight in a .308 rifle... in a little supposedly agile little .223 it seemed overkill. (It was decidedly heavier than an issue 20" A2, said my friend in the reserves)

2. Concur with above.... if you've got to have 16" of barrel, it might as well all be real functioning barrel.

3. I'd go flattop were I to do it over.. I can understand the A2 argument however if you know for certain you'll never want to scope it, and want the solid frame durability.

-K

If you enjoyed reading about "advantages/disadvantages" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!