Crud, I got a .17hmr

PDA

swingset
June 2, 2003, 02:50 AM
Went on a total impulse and bought a Savage .17hmr heavy barrel at a show in Indy this weekend.

Good going, swingset. Only now do I find out that the ammo is backordered all over the country. A month ago I went to my local store which had so much of it I couldn't count it all. Now, I'm looking at fall or later before I get any chance to shoot this thing.

And, a big thank you to Hornady for grossly underestimating production, screwing us and creating false-supply-demand price hikes. Nothing like paying $15-$20 for ammo that was $7 when it was on the shelf. Morons or criminals, either way I'm irked.

I think I'll put it in the safe and forget it exists until that ammo is $7 a box again, and if they play the scarce ammo game after fall, I'll sell it to someone and buy a .22! :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Crud, I got a .17hmr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
resmeth
June 2, 2003, 03:17 AM
OK so I am naive, but what is the big deal with the .17 anyway. It is a pellet with powder backing it up. Why is there such a huge demand for such a small caliber? .17ers set me straight, what is the hype?

swingset
June 2, 2003, 04:14 AM
I didn't buy the hype, I have a friend with one and it's accurate as heck, and cheap to shoot. That's all there is to it.

Past 150 yards, it doesn't have enough wallop to take down a serious groundhog or varmint so it's primarily a walking varmint gun or a target round.

If they were still $7 for 50 rounds, it would be a fantastic way to bridge the gap between a high power and a .22, but as it stands it's a gun with nothing to put through it.

DAL
June 2, 2003, 06:35 AM
"I used to complain that I had no shoes, until I met a man who..."

Come on, man, snap out of it! Production will eventually catch up to demand, and when it does you'll be ready for something, armed with your little .17 Savage.

Try this until ammo is available. Put an envelope into your gun safe and every week throw in $10. When ammo does become available and cheap, you can stock up!
DAL

swingset
June 2, 2003, 06:51 AM
I hear ya DAL, but I'm a guy who shoots a rifle the day I buy it, and DESPISE an unfired gun.

It's like having a beautiful girlfriend who makes you wait for 6 months. No fun.

Snowdog
June 2, 2003, 10:03 AM
you'll be ready for something

Right, you'll be ready for, um... something. Yeah, that .17HMR ought to be good for at least something. There's bound to be a critter it's dandy for out there in the wilderness.

Hey, I bet if you hang around a silo long enough, you'll likely catch a small mouse off guard or... um, something.

:D Just kidding of course.

I'll probably end up with a Savage similiar to yours, they're selling for around $179 in these parts. One can never have too many firearms, an ancient China man told me that.

mrmeangenes
June 2, 2003, 10:59 AM
:) I read most of the (hyped up ? ) information and found myself wondering why something less effective than the .22 WMR would be attractive.:rolleyes:

Larry Ashcraft
June 2, 2003, 12:59 PM
I bought mine last September and have put about 250 rounds through it. I've killed 2 rock squirrels and about a dozen prairie dogs and I can tell you that there is no "hype". The thing is absolutely devastating on these animals out to 200 yeards. You would have sworn they were shot with a soft-point .223.

As to ammo availability, I've been able to find it pretty regularly at $9.99-10.99 a box, although sometimes only a box or 2 at a time. I was in the local farm supply/sporting goods store on Saturday and they had about 25 BRICKS of the new CCI hollowpoints at $9.99 a box. I bought a couple boxes but haven't fired any yet.

Brian Williams
June 2, 2003, 01:58 PM
I saw a Cooper firearms in 17 that had a price tag of $1345.00. Yes the price is right check here.

http://www.cooperfirearms.com/order.html

I do not think that is worth it.

June 2, 2003, 02:02 PM
I was in a gun store in Las Vegas a couple days ago and they had piles of .17 HMR ammo sitting there.
Hopefully the drought will soon end where you live.

swingset
June 2, 2003, 02:55 PM
I think Hornady is going to be very sorry they either accidentally or intentionally stopped production on this stuff.

CCI was already rushing to get theirs on the market, now everyone else will be given a good window to start mass producing it.

All the retailers I talk to say it's going to be fall or later before Hornady is shipping - and that optimism is usually never right - it usually means months after that.

I can't believe they were unaware how many guns were being made/sold. Absolutely has to be a situation where they looked at their current market price ($7 a box), realized they were selling too cheaply and decided to create some demand. That's the American way, afterall.:rolleyes:

Selfdfenz
June 2, 2003, 03:08 PM
Swingset,
I believe I saw an ad at Midsouth or Natchez that Remington is also making 17HMR.
For all I know there may be other companies that are offering it too.
I also dispise a new, unfired gun if I wrote the check for it.
Good luck,
S-

cratz2
June 2, 2003, 03:36 PM
I don't own a 17 and have no intention on getting one as my 22LRs and my 22 Magnum serve just fine so I'm just relaying information...

A local gunshop with very reputable shooters had some of that CCI stuff... the very first bricks that came to Indiana from the distrubutor (as in hand carried in, not shipped) and they said they tried it in several rifles and an Anschutz bolt pistol and they couldn't get it to group at all in any of them. Best they could do was around 5" at 50 yards. Compared to well under an inch at 50 yards with most the other ammo they'd tried. These guys are both top notch rifle shooters.

Hopefully their's was a fluke or pre-production or something but they said it came in a sealed box.

Larry Ashcraft
June 2, 2003, 03:54 PM
Cratz, I hope you're wrong. I'll put some on paper tonight if the wind isn't blowing too bad and I'll report back here tomorrow.

dude
June 2, 2003, 04:13 PM
I sure hope all the big .22mag fans don't actually try a .17HMR..........or then the ammo will be even harder to get!!!

btw- CCI makes all of it

Dave R
June 2, 2003, 04:20 PM
I shoot a .17 centerfire, which is a little different critter than the .17 HMR (mine is 25gr at 3,400fps vs. HMR which is 17gr at 2900fps???)

But, after shooting several dozen prarie dogs/whistle pigs, here's what I like about the .17:

-Flat trajectory makes the 100+ yard shots a bit easier.
-Good accuracy. Does not like wind, though.
-Low recoil lets you watch your impact through the scope, to see if you're on target.
-Fast energy dump gives good anchoring effect. (Art would say "misting")

I would add, "doesn't take much powder to reload", but that's not applicable to the HMR. ;)

cordex
June 2, 2003, 04:38 PM
Went to the local (and original) Galyans after the 1500 to get scope mounts for my own new acquisition (decidedly not a .17).

The friend I was with started chatting with a gentleman who had also just come from the show. He was picking up .17 HMR for something like $7 or $8 a box. Looked larger than a box of 50, but I don't have a lot of experience with the way this cartridge is packaged, so I don't know.

edit: I only wish it was Cabela's. Just your everyday Galyans.

waynzwld
June 2, 2003, 05:53 PM
Swingset, you can order ammo for the 17 from Cabela's for $10.50 a box of 50. Also, the CCI shoots very good groups from my Savage, the Hornady shoots good, but the Remington does not shoot worth a darn from it, go figure, it is supposed to be identical to the hornady.

cratz2
June 2, 2003, 07:20 PM
Ooh... Man, I'd hate to have to retract my words, but maybe it was Remington that shot so poorly. :uhoh:

Bacchus
June 2, 2003, 07:39 PM
I also know of a guy from my range who bought one of the first ones. He told me about an Anschutz bolt action rifle that he had that he couldn't get to group well, so he traded off the gun. Unfortuantely, I think he gave up on the caliber, too.

MLC
June 2, 2003, 09:12 PM
Ooh... Man, I'd hate to have to retract my words, but maybe it was Remington that shot so poorly.
I have had some serious accuracy issues with Remingtons' V MAX
22 WMR ammo. I bought some of the early stuff and it was amazing, there was a dry spell and the newer stuff is nowhere near as accurate.
I can't help but wonder if the "ammo shortages" are to fluff the buyer concept of demand. It would help boost sales if all the potential buyers of this wunder17 thought everyone was getting one.

CB900F
June 2, 2003, 10:21 PM
Yup, I bought the Remington 5mm magnum. 'Twas a fine shooting firearm, accurate, hard hitting & reasonably cheap to shoot. For a while. Then **** happened.

If the .17 is around in 10 years or so, then I might buy one. But till then, I do believe I'll stick to my .22lr's. I mean, I've got to use up about 20,000 rounds of .22 first anyway, right?
900F

cratz2
June 2, 2003, 10:31 PM
I have had some serious accuracy issues with Remingtons' V MAX 22 WMR ammo.

I had the exact same problem with the exact same ammo. I used to use the Winchester Supreme stuff exclusively then when the Remington VMax stuff came out, it worked just as well as the Winchester. Then all of a sudden, the VMaxes went to crap, accuracy-wise, so now I'm back to using just the Winchester Supreme.

The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure those two guys were knocking the Remington ammo, not the CCI.

Coltdriver
June 2, 2003, 11:06 PM
Well I agree that it is frustrating to have to search out ammo, but........

I have a heavy barreled Savage too.

The thing about the .17HMR that is not appreciated until you shoot it is how accurate it is right out of the box with a cheap rifle and how potent it is on small game.

Course, a .22 is potent on small game too but with the .17HMR you can shoot a quarter at 100 yards. You will not pull that off with a $200 .22 of any variety.

I can shoot a dime with mine at 50 yards, no problem. I ain't that good, but the barrel/cartridge combo is just about perfect. Hornady is excellent, the CCI drops to .22 Mag accuracy from what I have read.

You can order ammo from Midsouth, by the brick, at $8 per box of 50. It will always be backordered and it will always show up in two to four weeks.

This is the first rifle I ever owned that the scope cost more than the rifle and I am not complaining because to get the most from the rifle you have to use a decent scope.

Selfdfenz
June 3, 2003, 01:10 AM
Coltdriver,

Not doubting for a second that the 17 is accuarate but if the wind is calm my $179 CZ 452 will do that. I've got a range trip planned this weekend and I'll see what I can do. (if I can find the quarter aftwerward ;)
I assume a scope is ok. I can't see a quarter at 50 let alone 100.
If you go to rimfirecentral forums you might find some targets of peps that have done that with their rifles.

I have to shoot 100 as I have no 50 yarder.
Take care
S-

makdaddy03
June 3, 2003, 01:22 AM
What CB900 said got me to thinking. Ill wait awhile also.:(

dude
June 3, 2003, 03:01 AM
whatever

...all you .17 bashers should mention if you have actually shot one before you bless us with your 'wisdom'

fwiw- .17 is a bit hard to find 'round these parts off and on but the price has actually gone down from ten bucks to eight and the rifles are still selling like hot-cakes

cratz2
June 3, 2003, 03:09 AM
...all you .17 bashers should mention if you have actually shot one before you bless us with your 'wisdom'

Who's bashin' the .17? Just because someone states that it doesn't do much that a 22 Magnum won't do doesn't mean we're knockin' it in any way... :confused:

If I didn't have a 22 magnum and 17 ammo was easier to get, I'd more than likely get one. But if I mostly shoot squirrel, and a few odds and ends birds out to 125 yards or so with my 22 Magnum, what good would a 17 do me?

I just don't see any reason to rationalize a decision to the rest of us interested enough in the 17 to participate in the thread. :cuss:

And I have shot several of them... Two Rugers, a Savage and the Anschutz pistol I mentioned. :rolleyes:

dude
June 3, 2003, 03:28 AM
.....because it will 'do' ALOT better/further than a .22mag!

My point is that having owned and shot both, the differences are obvious with the nod going to the .17 in terms of accuracy and distance

cratz2
June 3, 2003, 08:17 AM
My point is that having owned and shot both, the differences are obvious with the nod going to the .17 in terms of accuracy and distance

Right... but if the distance that needs to be covered it 125 yards, they they will both cover it just fine... Not meaning to beat a dead horse...

waynzwld
June 3, 2003, 02:47 PM
I have both a 22 Mag and a 17 HMR, they are both accurate guns, but the 17 shoots tighter groups that the 22. Smaller critters git the 17 and bigger critters get the 22.

I never got to shoot the first batch of Remington 22 Mag with the VMax, but the current Remington Premier with the VMax shoots 1-1/4" or a little better @ 100yds. In the 17, the CCI does 3/4" to 7/8" pretty much every time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crud, I got a .17hmr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!