L1a1 Sporter .308 Cal

PDA

michiganfan
June 2, 2003, 10:47 AM
SOG has this L1A1 SPORTER .308 CAL used in so called excellent condition, 2 -20 round mags for 399. Is this a good rifle and is this a good deal

If you enjoyed reading about "L1a1 Sporter .308 Cal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onslaught
June 2, 2003, 11:22 AM
Not enough info yet...

Who made it? If it's a Century, then $399 is 'eh.

If it's an Imbel Receiver, then $399 is pretty good.

I'm no expert, but I did a lot of research before I bought my FAL...

telewinz
June 2, 2003, 04:27 PM
I have a CAI FAL built on an IMBEL receiver, it's performance is nothing short of great. If I ever get another FAL it WILL BE on an Imbel reciever.

surfinUSA
June 2, 2003, 09:07 PM
I have a Century L1A1 built on the notorious Hesse receiver. This gun runs great, has never jammed and is accurate. It was built with new or like new australian parts. I paid $100 more than SOG is asking but of course my FFL and the state had to get their cut. This is easily one of my favorite guns.

P95Carry
June 2, 2003, 09:36 PM
I too have a Century l1A1 ... it was a raffle prize . so couldn't complain!!

However, it fed badly and on inspection it seemed like the feed ramp profiles were way too basic .. so far I have smoothed them out a bit and have yet to fully evaluate the results.

I was finding that bullet tips were getting ''whacked'' during strip off mag and this was hardly helping accuracy due to tip distortion ..... hoping I will lick this into shape and get a smoother less damaging feed..

stellarpod
June 3, 2003, 07:09 AM
I picked up a CAI L1A1 Sporter in a trade deal a few weeks back. It was a metric Imbel receiver, but was built with an inch kit. The only problem I've encountered was the fact that the rear sight was WAY too tall, causing1-1/2 to 2 foot high POI at 200 yards!

I replaced the sight with a VOL Tactical Para model and VIOLA! It's immediately on the paper holding respectable groups!

Other than the cheezy furniture (which will soon be replaced) this rifle shoots accurately and reliably. I know the CAI import stamp on the side kills the resaleability, but who cares? I got it right, it shoots right and I don't intend to sell it.

stellarpod

Onslaught
June 3, 2003, 09:23 AM
Other than the cheezy furniture (which will soon be replaced) this rifle shoots accurately and reliably.
I just sold my Tapco furniture and ordered Penguin. I may sell off the forend and pistol grip in favor of the M249 Grip and Free Float handguards, if you're interested...

If you enjoyed reading about "L1a1 Sporter .308 Cal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!