Bayonets affecting accuracy

PDA

Teufelhunden
June 2, 2003, 11:19 AM
I've heard that bayonets can move the strike a rifle significantly, but I don't know why. THe only particular instances I can bring up are hearing M-44 owners talk about how an extended bayonet can move the strike 8 inches, and a passing comment in Band of Brothers from an experienced trooper to a replacement as the replacement fixes a bayonet to his Garand.

How does the bayonet affect accuracy, and does it do it to all rifles with mounted bayonets?

-Teuf

If you enjoyed reading about "Bayonets affecting accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
June 2, 2003, 11:27 AM
Attaching the bayonet can change the barrel's harmonics.

That's the same principle by which the Browning Boss System works.

No, it doesn't necessarily happen with all firearms, but it certainly can.

MonkeyMan
June 2, 2003, 02:38 PM
Being pretty new to Mosins I've been regularly reading posts on the M-N board. It seems to me to be a mixed bag on how the bayonet affects point of aim vs. point of impact. Some say a lot, some a little, some say it's bologna. I haven't tried my M-44 yet so I can't say for sure.

foghornl
June 2, 2003, 02:44 PM
On MY Mosin-Nagant M-44, POI shifts about 4 inches @100 Yds with bayo folded vs. bayo extended (Shifts left with bayo folded).

As for YOUR rifle, Your Mileage (windage) Will Vary, and may be ammo dependent. Try a couple of different ammo types, folded/extended and see what happens. I have a shooting buddy with a one year later vintage M-44, and his rifle only shifts about 1 1/2" @100Yds.

Andrew Wyatt
June 2, 2003, 03:37 PM
with the bayonet on my number4 mk1, it moves the bullet strike down 7 inches at 200 yards.

since the gun was zeroed from the factory with the bayonet on it, i had to rezero it when i got it, since i don't fix bayonets.

Teufelhunden
June 2, 2003, 10:06 PM
Mike,

Might you have any information on how fixing bayonets affects the accuracy of the M16A2?

-Teuf

Mike Irwin
June 3, 2003, 12:56 AM
Teuf,

Nope, sorry, I don't, other than the theoretical reason I gave above.

P95Carry
June 3, 2003, 01:28 AM
I'd regard the bayo effect as no different from a barrel weight on a pistol .... added mass and so a factor effect muzzle lift under recoil.

The effect on POI can be very significant IMO but consistency is all that matters ..... zero for bayo ..... or without .... all will be well.!

benEzra
June 3, 2003, 07:30 PM
The reason the POI changes so dramatically on the M44 is that when the bayonet is stowed, it is like a 2-lb weight hanging off the right side of the rifle, so that the recoil impulse tends to torque the rifle imperceptibly to the left while the bullet is traveling down the bore. With the bayo extended, the mass of the bayonet seems to be closer to the centerline of the rifle. The difference is very slight, but enough to move the POI a few inches.

I've never noticed a POI shift with my wife's Russian SKS, possibly because in both the extended and folded position the bayonet is below the barrel on the rifle's centerline.

JohnKSa
June 3, 2003, 10:42 PM
It is my understanding that affixing the bayonet to a M96 Swedish Mauser will change the zero from 300 yards (shortest distance marking on rear sight) to 100 yards. Approximately 11 inches POI difference.

TIMC
June 3, 2003, 10:47 PM
I don't know all the technical reasons why but my M44 shoots much better at 100 yards with the bayonet extended.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bayonets affecting accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!